World Cup Qatar 2022

Don Sholeone
Brazil (Neymar)
Brazil (Neymar)

World Cup Qatar 2022

Post by Don Sholeone » Tue Nov 08, 2022 10:13 am

Time for a World Cup thread.

Squads are starting to be announced with Bruno already confirmed.

As well as Garang Kuol (could also affect his availability for us this season)

bodacious benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Re: World Cup Qatar 2022

Post by bodacious benny » Tue Nov 08, 2022 10:31 am

Each to their own on this one, but I've decided not to watch it.

I know football has been morally bankrupt for a long time, but the fact that this World Cup was awarded on corruption (and nothing else), that thousands of migrant workers have died just to build football stadiums, and that football is supposed to be an inclusive sport but the World Cup has been awarded to a country where it is illegal to be gay just means the whole thing is an absolute farce on many levels for me.

Some might say I'm a hypocrite given our ownership and I happily watch our games, but our takeover wasn't won on corruption, nor did thousands of people die as a direct result of it happening. And as far as I'm aware, gay supporters that we have are more than welcome and to be proud of who they are.
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

Colly
Belgium (Lukaku)
Belgium (Lukaku)

Post by Colly » Tue Nov 08, 2022 11:21 am

FYI David Squires is doing a couple of these, sums it up really. Any journo who has chosen to go there should be covering it properly throughout.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/ng ... ower-story

I will still watch on TV (what's another person on the ratings for ITV or BBC), but I will be pretending it's happening on a boat in the mid Atlantic. I suspect the atmosphere at the stadiums will be pathetic.

Valentino's fast feet
Senegal (Aboubakar)
Senegal (Aboubakar)

Post by Valentino's fast feet » Tue Nov 08, 2022 11:22 am

Bodacious Benny wrote:
Tue Nov 08, 2022 10:31 am

I know football has been morally bankrupt for a long time, but the fact that this World Cup was awarded on corruption (and nothing else), that thousands of migrant workers have died just to build football stadiums, and that football is supposed to be an inclusive sport but the World Cup has been awarded to a country where it is illegal to be gay just means the whole thing is an absolute farce on many levels for me.

Some might say I'm a hypocrite given our ownership and I happily watch our games, but our takeover wasn't won on corruption, nor did thousands of people die as a direct result of it happening. And as far as I'm aware, gay supporters that we have are more than welcome and to be proud of who they are.
Well written and fair play, I agree with a lot of that, and fully respect your decision not to watch. Not having a go, but have a question of genuine curiosity, based on the highlighted section above. Would you have watched the world cup in 1966 hosted and ultimately won by England? Homosexuality was illegal in this country until decriminalised, admittedly not long later, in 1967.

I'm not for a second defending such policies in this country, Qatar, or anywhere else. Its clearly an abhorrent practise, and it took our country far to long to deliberate and ultimately legalise. Just honestly quite curious about what I see as an interesting discussion point
Previously CIH/Cabella's Invincible Hair

UlversToon
Argentina (Messi)
Argentina (Messi)

Post by UlversToon » Tue Nov 08, 2022 12:59 pm

On a different note I see that the 2026 World Cup is being held in Mexico, Canada and the USA with 48 nations taking part.

bodacious benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by bodacious benny » Tue Nov 08, 2022 1:17 pm

Cabella's Invincible Hair wrote:
Tue Nov 08, 2022 11:22 am
Bodacious Benny wrote:
Tue Nov 08, 2022 10:31 am

Well written and fair play, I agree with a lot of that, and fully respect your decision not to watch. Not having a go, but have a question of genuine curiosity, based on the highlighted section above. Would you have watched the world cup in 1966 hosted and ultimately won by England? Homosexuality was illegal in this country until decriminalised, admittedly not long later, in 1967.

I'm not for a second defending such policies in this country, Qatar, or anywhere else. Its clearly an abhorrent practise, and it took our country far to long to deliberate and ultimately legalise. Just honestly quite curious about what I see as an interesting discussion point
It's a fair question, and I guess a difficult one to answer in that 'anti-gay' or it being illegal to be gay was the global norm? I know countries such as the US (of course!) and Australia repealed laws against homosexuality much later than the U.K. did, whereas now, in most (but certainly not all) nations it is perfectly legal.

So I guess my answer may well have been yes, I would have watched it in 1966 as in theory I'd have been a product of the system and just accepted that being gay was illegal and probably have thought nothing of it. It is an interesting question! Nowadays we've hopefully all been raised to be inclusive and accept people for how they want to live their life, it's not perfect now by any stretch but a huge mind-set shift from how it was back in the 60s still.
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

Valentino's fast feet
Senegal (Aboubakar)
Senegal (Aboubakar)

Post by Valentino's fast feet » Tue Nov 08, 2022 2:17 pm

Bodacious Benny wrote:
Tue Nov 08, 2022 1:17 pm
Tue Nov 08, 2022 11:22 am

It's a fair question, and I guess a difficult one to answer in that 'anti-gay' or it being illegal to be gay was the global norm? I know countries such as the US (of course!) and Australia repealed laws against homosexuality much later than the U.K. did, whereas now, in most (but certainly not all) nations it is perfectly legal.

So I guess my answer may well have been yes, I would have watched it in 1966 as in theory I'd have been a product of the system and just accepted that being gay was illegal and probably have thought nothing of it. It is an interesting question! Nowadays we've hopefully all been raised to be inclusive and accept people for how they want to live their life, it's not perfect now by any stretch but a huge mind-set shift from how it was back in the 60s still.
<notbad>

Good answer, I hadn't thought of the part of the norm ideal. Which in itself carries its own problems hah. But aye, it does make sense, and I suppose it illustrates how a problem changes based on where you are viewing it from.

As an aside, this forum is far far less active than the likes of other forums, but absolutely subscribes to quality over quantity. Always a lot of interesting debate, and very seldom see it devolve into petty name calling and the like that is common course most elsewhere.

originallad
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Post by originallad » Tue Nov 08, 2022 2:33 pm

Tue Nov 08, 2022 2:17 pm
Bodacious Benny wrote:
Tue Nov 08, 2022 1:17 pm

As an aside, this forum is far far less active than the likes of other forums, but absolutely subscribes to quality over quantity. Always a lot of interesting debate, and very seldom see it devolve into petty name calling and the like that is common course most elsewhere.
Agree totally 👍

Anyone still go on Not606? I have a peruse every now and again but don't post anything.

originallad
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Post by originallad » Tue Nov 08, 2022 2:35 pm

originallad wrote:
Tue Nov 08, 2022 2:33 pm
Tue Nov 08, 2022 2:17 pm

Agree totally 👍

Anyone still go on Not606? I have a peruse every now and again but don't post anything.
Not sure what I did there?!

originallad
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Post by originallad » Tue Nov 08, 2022 2:35 pm

I give up.

Colback's Orange Tufts
USA USA USA (Pulisic)
USA USA USA (Pulisic)

Post by Colback's Orange Tufts » Tue Nov 08, 2022 2:48 pm

This is a good listen so far
Sharing articles no-one reads since 2012

Colly
Belgium (Lukaku)
Belgium (Lukaku)

Post by Colly » Tue Nov 08, 2022 2:56 pm

originallad wrote:
Tue Nov 08, 2022 2:35 pm
I smell.
I like it, we can essentially quote hack.

originallad
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Post by originallad » Tue Nov 08, 2022 3:27 pm

Colly wrote:
Tue Nov 08, 2022 2:56 pm
originallad wrote:
Tue Nov 08, 2022 2:35 pm
I smell.
I like it, we can essentially quote hack.
<laugh>

Don Sholeone
Brazil (Neymar)
Brazil (Neymar)

Post by Don Sholeone » Tue Nov 08, 2022 5:40 pm

I'm honestly past caring, the UK hosted the Olympics off the back of an illegal invasion of Iraq and along with the war in Afghanistan saw many innocents killed. Do I agree with Middle Eastern laws and culture, no, but im personally not going to sit and get annoyed at other countries failings when my own (as well as many others around the world) has a history of horrible practices and actions. Only 1 or 2 generations back we were chemically castrating people like Alan Turing for his sexuality, I don't think we in the western world have collectively earned the right to point fingers at other countries horrible deeds to the point that these nations should be shunned and shut out of the rest of the world.

That said if people want to boycott the world cup then they have every right to, personally I'm just going to enjoy the football, I'm just too old and miserable to get caught up in geopolitical debates on morals these days.

Valentino's fast feet
Senegal (Aboubakar)
Senegal (Aboubakar)

Post by Valentino's fast feet » Tue Nov 08, 2022 6:51 pm

Don Sholeone wrote:
Tue Nov 08, 2022 5:40 pm
I'm honestly past caring, the UK hosted the Olympics off the back of an illegal invasion of Iraq and along with the war in Afghanistan saw many innocents killed. Do I agree with Middle Eastern laws and culture, no, but im personally not going to sit and get annoyed at other countries failings when my own (as well as many others around the world) has a history of horrible practices and actions. Only 1 or 2 generations back we were chemically castrating people like Alan Turing for his sexuality, I don't think we in the western world have collectively earned the right to point fingers at other countries horrible deeds to the point that these nations should be shunned and shut out of the rest of the world.

That said if people want to boycott the world cup then they have every right to, personally I'm just going to enjoy the football, I'm just too old and miserable to get caught up in geopolitical debates on morals these days.

As much as I agree with Benny's take on it, and I do, and very greatly respect that; this is more my mindset in all honesty. Also, kudos for the Turing mention. I should've brought that up in all my spiel about it being a crime in the UK. Even without the fact he's a certified goddammit warhero, that legitimately ended the war years earlier and probably saved countless lives, its such an objectively awful thing to do to someone just because of their sexuality. Something they have not chosen.

Blue & Maroon
France (Benzema)
France (Benzema)

Post by Blue & Maroon » Tue Nov 08, 2022 8:16 pm

Don Sholeone wrote:

I mean you can be against what the UK has done and what Qatar does do. I mean look at this ****.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/63561340

I get it if you want to watch it or separate the politics from football but I get the feeling for a lot of people that is starting to change and that's a good thing. Hopefully we start holding other countries to account and hopefully we are too for our failings.

I think the main thing with Qatar is they have such a fundamental and blatant disregard of basic human rights. It's not a debate whether LGBT people should have equal rights, it should be obvious to everyone, the same with slave labour or womens rights.

Blue & Maroon
France (Benzema)
France (Benzema)

Post by Blue & Maroon » Tue Nov 08, 2022 8:20 pm

Tue Nov 08, 2022 6:51 pm
Don Sholeone wrote:

As much as I agree with Benny's take on it, and I do, and very greatly respect that; this is more my mindset in all honesty. Also, kudos for the Turing mention. I should've brought that up in all my spiel about it being a crime in the UK. Even without the fact he's a certified goddammit warhero, that legitimately ended the war years earlier and probably saved countless lives, its such an objectively awful thing to do to someone just because of their sexuality. Something they have not chosen.
I think the Turing example isn't great given that no one in government today had anything to do it and the vast majority of the country are appalled by what happened to him now. That's not trying to play down what happened I just think it's unfair to hold people who weren't there to account.

A better example would be the vilifying of whatever ethnic group is flavour of the month coming over the channel on any given week. Braverman's comments have been f***ing abhorrent and supported by a fair few "news"papers etc.

gola
ASM's Gucci Headband

Post by gola » Tue Nov 08, 2022 8:48 pm

its mad 2 think that i went there with my bf, id at best get arrested, probably much worse, jus for bein myself

Don Sholeone
Brazil (Neymar)
Brazil (Neymar)

Post by Don Sholeone » Tue Nov 08, 2022 8:58 pm

Blue & Maroon wrote:
Tue Nov 08, 2022 8:20 pm
Tue Nov 08, 2022 6:51 pm

I think the Turing example isn't great given that no one in government today had anything to do it and the vast majority of the country are appalled by what happened to him now. That's not trying to play down what happened I just think it's unfair to hold people who weren't there to account.

A better example would be the vilifying of whatever ethnic group is flavour of the month coming over the channel on any given week. Braverman's comments have been f***ing abhorrent and supported by a fair few "news"papers etc.
The point is we are not too far from our own horrific acts. Also it was only in the last 10 years or so that the UK government decided he deserved an apology and it took until 2013 when they decided to pardon his criminal conviction of homosexuality.

overseasTOON
Uruguay (Nunez)
Uruguay (Nunez)

Post by overseasTOON » Wed Nov 09, 2022 1:03 pm

@gola

I've been to Qatar and you'd likely die of boredom first.

I spent 5 days visiting a friend and I couldn't comprehend how he'd managed to live there for two years. He was working during the day so spent many hours a day trying to find something interesting to do and failed.

Bored and miffed that I'd wasted a tonne of cash getting there, I ended up in an Irish themed hotel bar only to discover that the Qatari government had even forgot to order Guinness.

Food was s*** and so packed full of sugar I thought I'd become diabetic, countryside is non existent unless you like looking at towering hills of concrete dust and most of the locals I'd met were assholes.