Matchday thread - Toon v Liverpool

Remember Colo
Ancient Forum Relic
Ancient Forum Relic

Re: Matchday thread - Toon v Liverpool

Post by Remember Colo » Sat Feb 18, 2023 7:30 pm

Were the better side for much of the match, barring a calamitous 15 minute period in the first half there. A couple balls inside the cross bar and Allison making fewer great saves and we'd have had a surprise result. A shocking state of things that we started the match without a CM on the bench, and finished with only one on the pitch. This lack of depth was clear to see coming out of the window.

Slim999
Shelvey's Precious

Post by Slim999 » Sat Feb 18, 2023 8:11 pm

It was always going to be very difficult for us to keep our form going for the whole season given that our squad depth is a fraction of Aresnal , City, MU, Chelsea , Liverpool..

The final is looking like a bridge too far ....but we will obviously give it the best shot .

But with Bruno just coming back , Joelinton potentially out with a hamstring (still tbc) and Pope suspended.... it's not looking promising .

Please not another Wembley disappointment

I understand that we couldn't bring in the people we wanted in Jan - but why turf out cover such as Shelvy & Darlow before we were fully covered all over the pitch ?

Feeling pretty down tonight ....

But will be shouting the lads on next week obviously .

Onwards & upwards . We were bottom 12m ago - This is just the start

bodacious benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by bodacious benny » Sat Feb 18, 2023 8:40 pm

If Joelinton and Willock (and pope) are out we don’t really have a chance on Sunday unfortunately. Season definitely catching up with us.
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

Don Sholeone
Brazil (Neymar)
Brazil (Neymar)

Post by Don Sholeone » Sat Feb 18, 2023 10:51 pm

I just feel like we are trying too hard to win the league over with our business, feels like we are deliberately holding back hoping the rest of the league soften on their approach to us, I think it's very naive. I think Chelsea have spent awfully and I don't want us to replicate that but I think we need some of that don't give a f*** what everyone thinks attitude. At best I just hope that last window acts as a big learning curve.

Also I think one problem for us is it's pretty clear Al-Rumayyan is the ultimate decision maker on the biggest deals, he gives the go on transfers like Isak, you have to imagine though that he cannot give too much time to the role given all his other responsibilities, so I wouldn't be surprised to see a change there to make the process of signing players a little quicker.

originallad
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Post by originallad » Sat Feb 18, 2023 11:47 pm

It's mad to think that if we end up finishing 7th-8th and losing the final of the League cup, the majority will see that as a s*** season. Our run of form from late last season until Christmas made everyone (me included) ride this momentus wave of positivity and believing this was the new us. We're now.. through a combination of form, injuries, burn out, opposition taking us seriously and/or changing their tactics against us etc...starting to flag a bit.

I thought we would be relegated last season!

This is the first season in a long time that I've enjoyed. The main part being not having to be in a relegation battle. Where ever we finish this season, I can see this Summer transfer window being an exciting one!

Tsi
Suisse (topless man)
Suisse (topless man)

Post by Tsi » Sun Feb 19, 2023 12:52 am

I'll start worrying if we don't address the squad issues in the summer but i'm sure we will.
As for the final i'm still confident and it'll be Karius's redemption <ski>

bodacious benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by bodacious benny » Sun Feb 19, 2023 7:27 am

originallad wrote:
Sat Feb 18, 2023 11:47 pm
It's mad to think that if we end up finishing 7th-8th and losing the final of the League cup, the majority will see that as a s*** season. Our run of form from late last season until Christmas made everyone (me included) ride this momentus wave of positivity and believing this was the new us. We're now.. through a combination of form, injuries, burn out, opposition taking us seriously and/or changing their tactics against us etc...starting to flag a bit.

I thought we would be relegated last season!

This is the first season in a long time that I've enjoyed. The main part being not having to be in a relegation battle. Where ever we finish this season, I can see this Summer transfer window being an exciting one!
This.

Aim at the start of the season was top half. I still think we’ll finish top 6 which is a fantastic season.
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

overseasTOON
Uruguay (Nunez)
Uruguay (Nunez)

Post by overseasTOON » Sun Feb 19, 2023 8:25 am

Ah well. Time now to focus on the final and win or lose; they can take pride in having reached it. We've wanted a club that took cups seriously and we're in our first final for two decades.

Afterwards the sole focus can be on the league which is a bonus as teams around us have Europe and some are still in the FA Cup and we may be able to take advantage of that.

Sure we may rue the lack of incomings in the January transfer window but we've freed up some spaces to start planning on replacements early doors which could be a positive for us going forward.

I'm still delighted with the season and can focus on what I'm cooking for the final.

Thinking of a pulled pork with a slight twist and have it cooked with pineapple so you get salty, sweet and spicy at the same time.

Then serve them stuffed into in arepas de queso which is a South American cheesy bread/pancake so they become a sort of soft taco.

Colly
Belgium (Lukaku)
Belgium (Lukaku)

Post by Colly » Sun Feb 19, 2023 9:40 am

Colback's Orange Tufts wrote:
Sat Feb 18, 2023 7:05 pm
Hope Joelinton doesn't have a hamstring there
<grin>

I reckon he'll be fine, he goes down like that in 80% of games anyway, think it'll be precautionary.

Valentino's fast feet
Senegal (Aboubakar)
Senegal (Aboubakar)

Post by Valentino's fast feet » Sun Feb 19, 2023 10:14 am

overseasTOON wrote:
Sun Feb 19, 2023 8:25 am

Thinking of a pulled pork with a slight twist and have it cooked with pineapple so you get salty, sweet and spicy at the same time.

Then serve them stuffed into in arepas de queso which is a South American cheesy bread/pancake so they become a sort of soft taco.
The rest of the stuff you said was important and I agree with it, but that sounds banging.
Previously CIH/Cabella's Invincible Hair

TJR
Mexico (Jiménez)
Mexico (Jiménez)

Post by TJR » Sun Feb 19, 2023 10:55 am

Pope getting banned and Dubravka being ineligible to play is the most Newcastle thing ever. You almost have to laugh.

All we needed to do yesterday was hope nobody got injured and nobody did anything stupid to get sent off. It was already 2-0 anyway, he's got to think of the bigger picture there and realise even not challenging and letting the score a 3rd would be a better decision than doing that.

bodacious benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by bodacious benny » Sun Feb 19, 2023 10:59 am

I don’t think you get to being an elite player by having the mindset of “I’ll just let them score again for the greater good” so not that easy really. Whether it’s 2-0 or 6-0 he’ll be hell bent on not letting further goals past him I’d have thought.

biggeordiedave
Living in his head rent free
Living in his head rent free

Post by biggeordiedave » Mon Feb 20, 2023 8:45 am

Didn't have a lot of hope for the final anyway as Man Utd are on fire at the moment and we...aren't. Definitely don't have any hope whatsoever now <laugh>.
Kindly deeds done for free!

bodacious benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by bodacious benny » Mon Feb 20, 2023 12:29 pm

I didn’t see the game on Saturday as was out but just caught the highlights. Even though we lost, and even with 10-men for large part of the game it looks like we played much better than we have in recent weeks, in fact we’ve won games playing worse than we did on Saturday. Can take some encouragement from that and also Bruno will be back, possibly Willock too. ASM seemed better too.

Sir Bobby
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by Sir Bobby » Mon Feb 20, 2023 12:50 pm

The last time we lost a game that Bruno started, it was August. ASM hitting form. Isak and Wilson both available. Targett and Willock possibly back.

If Trippier/Almiron can neutralise Rashford, and Karius can avoid any big errors, then I think we win it. We might be down, but we’re far from out.

bodacious benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by bodacious benny » Mon Feb 20, 2023 1:29 pm

Ideally Man U and Barcelona go to extra time on Thursday and Rashford pulls a hamstring <laugh>

overseasTOON
Uruguay (Nunez)
Uruguay (Nunez)

Post by overseasTOON » Mon Feb 20, 2023 3:31 pm

Bodacious Benny wrote:
Mon Feb 20, 2023 1:29 pm
Ideally Man U and Barcelona go to extra time on Thursday and Rashford pulls a hamstring <laugh>
And Ronaldo pops back to Man Utd to catch up with the lads.

Remember Colo
Ancient Forum Relic
Ancient Forum Relic

Post by Remember Colo » Tue Feb 21, 2023 4:00 pm

Bodacious Benny wrote:
Mon Feb 20, 2023 12:29 pm
I didn’t see the game on Saturday as was out but just caught the highlights. Even though we lost, and even with 10-men for large part of the game it looks like we played much better than we have in recent weeks, in fact we’ve won games playing worse than we did on Saturday. Can take some encouragement from that and also Bruno will be back, possibly Willock too. ASM seemed better too.
It's definitely the most incisive and dangerous we've looked in a while. Other than some schoolboy defending at the back from Trippier and Schar, and a moment of baffling judgement from Pope, we looked the better side and ASM looked as good as he has since Wolves.

For those suggesting there's no chance we win the final, I'd protest that any team can win a single match, especially one that's been as hard to beat all year as us. The side's done themselves no favours in the lead-up though.

bodacious benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by bodacious benny » Tue Feb 21, 2023 9:54 pm

Hopefully ASM starts on Sunday after his MOTM display. He’ll get more space again as Dalot at RB for them will push forward. Bruno / Joelinton / Longstaff in midfield as can’t see Willock being 100%.

Colly
Belgium (Lukaku)
Belgium (Lukaku)

Post by Colly » Tue Feb 21, 2023 10:35 pm

It does feel like the stars have aligned nicely for Maxi, Joelinton has to play in the middle to control the midfield. Hopefully he'll be up for it.