The Carabao Cup Final matchday thread

seaside nipper
Spain (Morata)
Spain (Morata)

Re: The Carabao Cup Final matchday thread

Post by seaside nipper » Sun Feb 26, 2023 6:36 pm

Never really showed up as a serious threat today after the loss of the first goal.
They were simply better all round than us.
We needed our A game today, we gave a C game.
Clydeside & Tyneside

Don Sholeone
Brazil (Neymar)
Brazil (Neymar)

Post by Don Sholeone » Sun Feb 26, 2023 6:44 pm

I think it was close to our A game... It's just our A game is the same as a successful teams C game, that's the difference in a day like today.

It's harsh to say it but the likes of Burn, Longstaff, Schar, Almiron, Wilson, Saint Maximin are not the players that will win us trophies going forward. This isn't a criticism of them as players, I though all mentioned worked their arses off and I believe they all really wanted this today, but the fact is they are just not players that will win you cups and leagues.

As great as this season has been we are still just that team that is "hard to beat" we are nowhere near a team to be feared right now.

skalpel
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies

Post by skalpel » Sun Feb 26, 2023 6:45 pm

Weren't at our best, but some of the lads played their bollocks off nonetheless so it's hard to fault the effort even if the quality wasn't there. Maxi's game was our game in a nutshell, lots of runs and turns around the edge of their box but no end product and a couple of gaffes.

My little lad's absolutely gutted! (He's still barely gotten over the world cup final as well - he's French). So we're all focusing on the positives here even though it's rough.

Donkey Toon
Croatia (Modric)
Croatia (Modric)

Post by Donkey Toon » Sun Feb 26, 2023 6:54 pm

I thought the performance was ok, but our lack of creativity in the final third is really becoming worrying.

The positive i'm taking from today is that coming into the season I think most of us were just looking for an improvement and for us to be challenging in the league and for trophies. We are currently fifth in the league and got to our first final in 24 years. I see that as evidence of improvement, and with the financial backing the club has, and the best manager we've had in ages, I'm convinced that there will be more days like today in our immediate future, only hopefully with a happier result. Keep believing guys our time will come!

seaside nipper
Spain (Morata)
Spain (Morata)

Post by seaside nipper » Sun Feb 26, 2023 7:00 pm

Don Sholeone wrote:
Sun Feb 26, 2023 6:44 pm
I think it was close to our A game... It's just our A game is the same as a successful teams C game, that's the difference in a day like today.

It's harsh to say it but the likes of Burn, Longstaff, Schar, Almiron, Wilson, Saint Maximin are not the players that will win us trophies going forward. This isn't a criticism of them as players, I though all mentioned worked their arses off and I believe they all really wanted this today, but the fact is they are just not players that will win you cups and leagues.

As great as this season has been we are still just that team that is "hard to beat" we are nowhere near a team to be feared right now.
Agree, it’s about getting to levels and becoming threatening. This is hopefully the start of the journey.
The players you mention were sloppy today and collectively far from their best, net result way off required standard to win in a major final.
It was good to get there, good to see Newcastle quoted in a final, Reality check today, it’s harsh and sadly not even a goal to cheer.
Sobering thoughts it’s Man City up next
Clydeside & Tyneside

UlversToon
Argentina (Messi)
Argentina (Messi)

Post by UlversToon » Sun Feb 26, 2023 7:09 pm

Very disappointing but no more than I expected, I tried not to get myself too excited about today but never the less I am absolutely feckin' gutted. At my age I can't afford to wait another 24 years before our next final so I'm keeping everything crossed that this is just a minor blip.

bodacious benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by bodacious benny » Sun Feb 26, 2023 7:23 pm

We worked hard but that difference in quality in the final third cost us. Think we could’ve played for another 6 hours and not scored. Created a couple of openings but the execution wasn’t there and Man U were very well organised. They clearly got to 2-0 (with some good fortune) and were happy to take that.

Thought Karius was fine and couldn’t do anything about the goals; didn’t seem nervous or out of place.
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

Colly
Belgium (Lukaku)
Belgium (Lukaku)

Post by Colly » Sun Feb 26, 2023 7:37 pm

Cabella's Invincible Hair wrote:
Sun Feb 26, 2023 4:53 pm
Colly wrote:
Sun Feb 26, 2023 1:56 pm
I'm still absurdly grumpy about the ticket fiasco (made worse by the fact my brother on Friday blagged a ridiculously good ticket with entry to the Hilton after party thanks to one of his former Sunday league team being Graeme Jones nephew), but now sitting on the train to Toon with a bit of optimism. We missed out on most of the obvious venues, so we're watching it in a gay cabaret club who apparently have the biggest screen in town. Could be interesting.
That actually sounds like it could be a right laugh. What a connection for your brother though, that bleeding paid off!
The venue was lovely in the end, fantastic screen. We won't win until we reward our loyal season ticket holders though. <whistle>

Blue & Maroon
France (Benzema)
France (Benzema)

Post by Blue & Maroon » Sun Feb 26, 2023 8:35 pm

I'm just gutted. They weren't at their best but we just didnt have enough. Hopefully it's the first of many finals but I just so wamred revenge for 99

bodacious benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by bodacious benny » Sun Feb 26, 2023 8:41 pm

Yeah that’s still the difference. The top teams don’t need to be at their best to have that bit too much for us. But give it a couple more transfer windows where we’ll see upgrades on the likes of Murphy, Ritchie and even the likes of Longstaff and Burn and we’ll be more of a force.
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

Sir Bobby
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by Sir Bobby » Sun Feb 26, 2023 8:53 pm

Poor performance, but can’t fault effort. Man U the better team but helped by a dodgy offside decision (they paused the frame very late from Shaw kicking it and then drew the line ahead of Wilson’s toe?) and the advantage that brought.

Think today highlighted a few areas where we need new signings if we want to be winning trophies (particularly LB, CAM, ST imo).

As a final point/moan… why are we so **** at defending and attacking dead balls? Conceded 3 in last 4 and only scored about that many all season. We typically have only 2-3 players under 6ft start per game and have multiple 6ft 4+ players. It should be a strength, but it’s fast becoming a crucial weakness

bodacious benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by bodacious benny » Sun Feb 26, 2023 10:52 pm

I think it’s time where Isak has to start with ASM and Bruno now back.

Colback's Orange Tufts
USA USA USA (Pulisic)
USA USA USA (Pulisic)

Post by Colback's Orange Tufts » Mon Feb 27, 2023 4:03 am

So gutted. Did anyone else find the subs a bit baffling? I like Burn alot, but if you are 2-0 down, surely bring on Targett or Ritchie or someone who will attack more as a left back
Sharing articles no-one reads since 2012

seaside nipper
Spain (Morata)
Spain (Morata)

Post by seaside nipper » Mon Feb 27, 2023 7:27 am

Shame about yesterday, gutted but proud at the same time. We were kind of powder puff yesterday after they scored and didn’t look like getting back into it.
Now we need to re charge as there’s loads to play for This is just the start and yesterday was a taster of a final and hopefully look forward to more.
Got to use yesterday as a launch pad into remaining league fixtures.
Need to show we still have something about us and not dwell on disappointment.
Need to work on our finishing work though as we are looking very lightweight up top , well away from how we were a while back
Clydeside & Tyneside

Caer Newydd
Pope's Goalposts

Post by Caer Newydd » Mon Feb 27, 2023 9:14 am

We won the Cup in fifty-five,
What a time to be alive,
Although aged just half a year,
My recollection is crystal clear,
A bowl of ground rice before the game,
At that time most meals were the same,
On the radio I listened in,
Confident that the Toon would win,
At the final whistle I was so happy,
Overcome with emotion I wet my nappy,
A quick change and still feeling great,
Downed a bottle of house white to celebrate,
Years later found it somewhat ironic,
The League Cup bore the name of that tonic,
So, sixty eight years further on,
Five more finals have been and gone,
Each its own sad disappointment,
Bereft of any crowning anointment,
Enough to make a grown-up cry,
But at least my undies have remained dry.

bodacious benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by bodacious benny » Mon Feb 27, 2023 10:20 am

Well, we'll very likely lose to Man C at the weekend and the doom and gloom merchants will be out in full force!

Blue & Maroon
France (Benzema)
France (Benzema)

Post by Blue & Maroon » Mon Feb 27, 2023 10:31 am

Bodacious Benny wrote:
Mon Feb 27, 2023 10:20 am
Well, we'll very likely lose to Man C at the weekend and the doom and gloom merchants will be out in full force!
As long as we put up a bit of fight I'll be happy, then it's all about the remaining games and qualifying for europe in whatever form that takes.

bodacious benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by bodacious benny » Mon Feb 27, 2023 10:53 am

Blue & Maroon wrote:
Mon Feb 27, 2023 10:31 am
Bodacious Benny wrote:
Mon Feb 27, 2023 10:20 am
As long as we put up a bit of fight I'll be happy, then it's all about the remaining games and qualifying for europe in whatever form that takes.
Totally. We were over performing and it wasn't sustainable with the current squad. Get City out the way then hopefully back to winning ways against Wolves.

UlversToon
Argentina (Messi)
Argentina (Messi)

Post by UlversToon » Mon Feb 27, 2023 7:06 pm

Their second goal has now been credited to Rashford.

Remember Colo
Ancient Forum Relic
Ancient Forum Relic

Post by Remember Colo » Mon Feb 27, 2023 7:59 pm

Colback's Orange Tufts wrote:
Mon Feb 27, 2023 4:03 am
So gutted. Did anyone else find the subs a bit baffling? I like Burn alot, but if you are 2-0 down, surely bring on Targett or Ritchie or someone who will attack more as a left back
I'm not at all surprised he didn't make that sub, based on how much confidence he's shown in Burn since his purchase. But I've been banging the drum for more liberal use of Targett (when healthy) as the LB for matches we should be winning or when we need to chase goals. We're finally finding ways to get ASM back on the ball more, but it's no thanks to Burn, who more often than not plays as a 3rd CB when we go forward.