Re: Newcastle pre-season fixtures

Post by Colly » Sat Aug 05, 2023 1:32 pm

bodacious benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by bodacious benny » Sat Aug 05, 2023 4:31 pm

Solid win with a mixed team!

Isak has to be our starting forward, can create something from nothing.
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

Tsi
Suisse (topless man)
Suisse (topless man)

Post by Tsi » Sat Aug 05, 2023 4:49 pm

2-0 final score

Tsi
Suisse (topless man)
Suisse (topless man)

Post by Tsi » Sun Aug 06, 2023 4:05 pm

Sanchino
http://thesaurus.com/browse/redundant
http://thesaurus.com/browse/redundant

Post by Sanchino » Sun Aug 06, 2023 9:31 pm

Cracking goal by Murphs.. seems to score only wordies nowadays. Was impressed by his performance at RB today at least he can cover the whole right hand side weather it's RB/RWB/RW he's improved vastly with Howe's coaching and his character / energy around the place is excellent.. really a top pro never complains if he's left out and just comes in and goes about his business steadily. Ritchie also did a decent job with his passing and positioning out-wide, he's another top pro who we will need for his experience and leadership skills similar to Dummet, these players may not be Champions League quality on the surface but what they bring to the dressing room, etc is vital. Wilson was excellent in his overall hold-up play and general play looked so strong and fast, hopefully he can replicate the same ball mark of 18 goals he did last season. Barnes looked confident and very efficient n' effective with his finishing. Big Joe was outstanding too with his box-to-box play he looked like a beast (as usual).. really good signs leading up to next week's opener against Villa. Very good pre-season with a lot of players impressing.. will be interesting too see who starts in midfield and upfront next week.

My pick (judging on form/etc)

Pope
Trippier Schar* Botman Burn
Bruno Anderson Joelinton
Miggy Isak Barnes

*Lascelles if Schars injured or you could shift Burn into the middle and Targett can start at LB.

I think Howe will steadily incorporate Tonali as he did with Bruno and with the mid week Champions League/League Cup games they'll be plenty of rotation between our midfield. We have some great options now with Longstaff, Willock and young Milly too.

Upfront reason I went with Barnes is because his finishing is more polished and competent than Gordon who overall could say has more to his game but it's about goals and assisting in this system.. Gordon needs to improve his finishing and decision making but the potential is there for all too see. Hard to leave Wilson out but Isak has more to his game and looks like the next Henry just with his speed, dribbling, technique and overall style of play. Wilson can be a great impact sub / rotate with Isak between all the competitions we're going to be in so its a win-win situation, sometimes even have Isak on the left with Wilson central. When the squad is fully fit and firing we will be so dangerous. The pace we will have on the counter/transitions is scary.. Murphy, Joelitnon, Willock, Miggy, Isak, Barnes, Gordon, Wilson. <run> <diva>

Colly
Belgium (Lukaku)
Belgium (Lukaku)

Post by Colly » Mon Aug 07, 2023 8:18 am

Honestly think the best setup for Wilson (other than obviously getting time in cups, we've got a lot of games) is exactly how he found his way back to form. Isak starts through the middle, Wilson on on the hour, Isak goes wide and terrifies defenders for a couple of Wilson tap ins.

bodacious benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by bodacious benny » Mon Aug 07, 2023 4:01 pm

Colly wrote:
Mon Aug 07, 2023 8:18 am
Honestly think the best setup for Wilson (other than obviously getting time in cups, we've got a lot of games) is exactly how he found his way back to form. Isak starts through the middle, Wilson on on the hour, Isak goes wide and terrifies defenders for a couple of Wilson tap ins.
Yeah probably, and throw in some starts too for Wilson in ‘easier’ games where he’ll do the business. Or if we’re winning comfortably than straight swap Wilson for Isak, and get Barnes/Gordon on the left (giving time to whichever starts on the bench).
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

beatski
England (Kane)
England (Kane)

Post by beatski » Mon Aug 07, 2023 9:34 pm

personally i dont think you can not start Wilson due to his link up with Barnes last match

also, Longstaff is the greatest player of all time, so hes guaranteed

Over The Line
Tribal Elder
Tribal Elder

Post by Over The Line » Tue Aug 08, 2023 8:01 am

Beatski wrote:
Mon Aug 07, 2023 9:34 pm
personally i dont think you can not start Wilson due to his link up with Barnes last match

Don't think Longstaff has played enough pre season to start. I imagine it's Isak who starts but could be either. Hope the experiment of putting Isak out on the wing has stopped.

bodacious benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by bodacious benny » Tue Aug 08, 2023 9:07 am

Beatski wrote:
Mon Aug 07, 2023 9:34 pm

Would be surprised if Barnes starts v Villa even after his 2 goals. Unusual for Howe to throw someone straight in unless his hand is forced.