2023/24 Season Predictions

jpg
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

2023/24 Season Predictions

Post by jpg » Sat Aug 12, 2023 5:21 am

Expect us to go again this season and finish between 4th and 7th. We have the extra European games but I believe we have decent depth in the side (do need another CB before end of window). Shouldn’t be overlooked how good we were last year and are still improving.

Need to remember to enjoy the journey and avoid falling into the petulant fan trap when things aren’t going our way each week. 20 years since we were last in the CL - needs to be savoured even if it is only the beginning!

overseasTOON
Uruguay (Nunez)
Uruguay (Nunez)

Re: 2023/24 Season Predictions

Post by overseasTOON » Sat Aug 12, 2023 6:05 am

Given its been a long time since we had a European campaign, it'll affect our league position overall. It does for pretty much every other club who finds themselves in this position so we shouldn't expect it to be any different.

Anything in the top 6 would still be a great season and shows we're still building and progressing.

If - a big one - we get beyond the group stage then that top 6 is likely at risk unless we sacrifice the other cups as the squad isn't strong enough yet to compete on so many fronts.

UlversToon
Argentina (Messi)
Argentina (Messi)

Post by UlversToon » Sat Aug 12, 2023 6:40 am

I'll be more than happy with a top 6/7 finish, decent cup runs - another final would be nice - and a good showing in the Champions League. The icing on the cake would be getting a match ticket!

TJR
Mexico (Jiménez)
Mexico (Jiménez)

Post by TJR » Sat Aug 12, 2023 8:53 am

I don't think the champions league will have too much of a negative impact on league position, especially if we go out in the group stage. It'll only be 6 extra games and with the new signings plus the improvement of Anderson, we've pretty much got two very capable starting midfields and attack. A little short in defence in terms of quality of depth but we're getting close to being able to field two good elevens.

Pope
Trippier Schar Botman Burn
Longstaff Bruno Joelinton
Almiron Isak Gordon

Dubravka
Livramento Lascelles Dummett Targett
Tonali Anderson Willock
Murphy Wilson Barnes

Plus we've got promising youngsters Miley and Murphy who had good pre seasons and could get some game time, especially in the league cup.

If we progress through the group stage or drop into the Europa League, it'll be tougher but if that does happen we'll have the January transfer window before the knockout rounds start.

With 5th place almost certainly getting Champions League, I think that is achievable and should be our target. Any sort of cup or european run would be a bonus but champions league qualification has to be the priority. If we get into that for the 2nd season in a row it'll be a real statement and will allow us to progress massively in terms of commercial revenue / new sponsors and partners but also in terms of the quality of player we'll be able to attract a sign.

bodacious benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by bodacious benny » Sat Aug 12, 2023 9:01 am

I don’t think top 5 is unrealistic, we’ve shown 18 months of top 4 form since January 2022 so don’t see why that will suddenly drop just because of a few CL games. Plus our squad is stronger now.

Our starting XI is very good and we’re starting to get more depth now with the likes of Murphy, Wilson, Barnes, Targett, Miley, Anderson good options to rotate in and out.

I would still like another CB before the window closes but other than that we’re pretty well set.

Man C are obviously on another level, and behind them arsenal have an excellent team. But outside of that we are as good as anyone.
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?