Lewis Hall Deal Closed?

Don Sholeone
Brazil (Neymar)
Brazil (Neymar)

Lewis Hall Deal Closed?

Post by Don Sholeone » Thu Aug 17, 2023 6:38 am

Another young English talent tipped to be heading for the top.

Over The Line
Tribal Elder
Tribal Elder

Re: Lewis Hall Deal Close?

Post by Over The Line » Thu Aug 17, 2023 8:49 am

I'm not going to pretend I've seen much of him myself other than when we played against them.

But the reaction of Chelsea fans makes me excited for this one.

bodacious benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by bodacious benny » Thu Aug 17, 2023 9:47 am

He looked good in the game time he got last season, one of the few Chelsea players to come out of last season with some credibility.

A mate of mine is a Chelsea fan and say's the feeling amongst the fanbase (almost entirely) is they want to keep Hall and get rid of Cucurella.
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

Over The Line
Tribal Elder
Tribal Elder

Post by Over The Line » Thu Aug 17, 2023 9:54 am

Bodacious Benny wrote:
Thu Aug 17, 2023 9:47 am
He looked good in the game time he got last season, one of the few Chelsea players to come out of last season with some credibility.

A mate of mine is a Chelsea fan and say's the feeling amongst the fanbase (almost entirely) is they want to keep Hall and get rid of Cucurella.
Someone has to want Cucurella first.

Telegraph reporting fee agreed at £28m (plus add-ons I assume)

bodacious benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by bodacious benny » Thu Aug 17, 2023 9:56 am

Over The Line wrote:
Thu Aug 17, 2023 9:54 am
Bodacious Benny wrote:
Thu Aug 17, 2023 9:47 am

Cucurella really isn't a bad player tbf, he was just part of the Chelsea disaster. He looked very good at Brighton in a well organised and well coached team. I think Mbappe could have gone to Chelsea last season and looked like peak Riviere.
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

overseasTOON
Uruguay (Nunez)
Uruguay (Nunez)

Post by overseasTOON » Thu Aug 17, 2023 10:00 am

Never heard of this Hall chap before.

Is circa £35 million a bit steep?

bodacious benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by bodacious benny » Thu Aug 17, 2023 10:03 am

overseasTOON wrote:
Thu Aug 17, 2023 10:00 am
Never heard of this Hall chap before.

Is circa £35 million a bit steep?
Not played a lot, 9-10 PL games last season but only 18 and looks to have a lot of potential.

What is a steep transfer fee these days? They're all mental. £30m gets you a squad player nowadays if you're lucky!

Over The Line
Tribal Elder
Tribal Elder

Post by Over The Line » Thu Aug 17, 2023 10:04 am

Bodacious Benny wrote:
Thu Aug 17, 2023 9:56 am
Over The Line wrote:

Cucurella really isn't a bad player tbf, he was just part of the Chelsea disaster. He looked very good at Brighton in a well organised and well coached team. I think Mbappe could have gone to Chelsea last season and looked like peak Riviere.
Agreed but after paying nearly £70m for him, don't think they want to take the loss FFP wise that they would get by selling him now.

Their best best would be to have a better season with him this year/loan him out.

bodacious benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by bodacious benny » Thu Aug 17, 2023 10:08 am

Over The Line wrote:
Thu Aug 17, 2023 10:04 am
Bodacious Benny wrote:

Agreed but after paying nearly £70m for him, don't think they want to take the loss FFP wise that they would get by selling him now.

Their best best would be to have a better season with him this year/loan him out.
Oh yeah definitely not £70m!

Chappy
10 Champs Silver
10 Champs Silver

Post by Chappy » Thu Aug 17, 2023 10:09 am

Bodacious Benny wrote:
Over The Line wrote:

Jesus wept - I'd almost forgotten about him <laugh>

I think it would be a good signing personally - not sure whether we'll be able get it over the line though - how much are we able to spend now with FFP restrictions?
It’s the noise, the passion, the feeling of belonging, the pride in your city.

lassassinblanc
Netherlands (Gini)
Netherlands (Gini)

Post by lassassinblanc » Thu Aug 17, 2023 10:36 am

Looks to be done deal 28m fee
I'll Hazard a guess

lassassinblanc
Netherlands (Gini)
Netherlands (Gini)

Post by lassassinblanc » Thu Aug 17, 2023 10:52 am

Good thing also about this deal as he's only 18 in 3 years he'll classify as club home grown
I'll Hazard a guess

Over The Line
Tribal Elder
Tribal Elder

Post by Over The Line » Thu Aug 17, 2023 1:11 pm

Reece James out with another injury & Olisie rejected Chelsea and signed a new contract at Palace.

Hopefully neither of the above change the Hall deal in any way.

bodacious benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by bodacious benny » Thu Aug 17, 2023 1:18 pm

Over The Line wrote:
Thu Aug 17, 2023 1:11 pm
Reece James out with another injury & Olisie rejected Chelsea and signed a new contract at Palace.

Can Hall play RB?

Donkey Toon
Croatia (Modric)
Croatia (Modric)

Post by Donkey Toon » Thu Aug 17, 2023 1:43 pm

Bodacious Benny wrote:
Thu Aug 17, 2023 1:18 pm
Over The Line wrote:
Thu Aug 17, 2023 1:11 pm

Can Hall play RB?
I've seen some comments saying he also plays in midfield, so he seems an adaptable player.

Haven't seen enough of him to make a judgement, but i'll trust the recruitment staff, they haven't gone far wrong so far. Price seems a bit high to me though.

NoteToSelf
Wood's Touch

Post by NoteToSelf » Thu Aug 17, 2023 1:48 pm

Surprised with that.
If anyone I was expecting a Cucurella loan from Chelsea, but Lewis Hall on a permanent is better business.

The fee feels steep (he's not even had 10 Football League games to his name yet!) but he helps with depth and development at LB. Plus at 18 he doesn't require registration for competitions, keeping a squad slot free.

Cal
Denmark (Kasper)
Denmark (Kasper)

Post by Cal » Thu Aug 17, 2023 2:42 pm

I hadn't really noticed him until The Athletic did a piece on our LB targets the other day. He sounded like the strongest match of the four - a ball-carrying wing-back with good attacking numbers who is also an effective one-on-one defender, but was discounted due to being expected to sign a new long-term contract, and Chelsea not wanting to strengthen a rival.

If this does come off, I guess we've got in there at just the right time to turn his head before he pens a new contract, and while Chelsea have already have Chilwell, Colwill, and Cucurella fighting for that position.

Over The Line
Tribal Elder
Tribal Elder

Post by Over The Line » Thu Aug 17, 2023 3:04 pm

Do hope he's as good as some of our previous dedicated Left Back signings such as Jamal Lewis, Achraf Lazaar, Danny Rose & Jesus Gamez.

Didn't realise how much we relied on Dummett until I started typing that out.

bodacious benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by bodacious benny » Thu Aug 17, 2023 3:22 pm

Rafa didn’t half sign some dog-s*** <laugh>

footywithuti
Tindall's Hoody

Post by footywithuti » Thu Aug 17, 2023 3:40 pm

Afternoon all, here’s a short video detailing everything you need to know about teenage loanee Lewis Hall in 2 minutes for those interested. I’m amazed Chelsea aren’t giving him a crack at the first team (because truth be told, he’s miles ahead of Cucurella already) but their loss is Newcastle’s gain. As always, feel free to ask me any questions you may have, and enjoy what remains of your week!

PS: I made this when he was Palace bound but it remains just as relevant now that he’s headed to Newcastle.