Howe under pressure?

bodacious benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Re: Howe under pressure?

Post by bodacious benny » Sun Feb 04, 2024 10:19 pm

Agree, more than happy for Howe to have next season. With probably no Europe (hopefully no ECL) and with new additions and less injuries then no reason why he won’t get us top 4 or 5 again.
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

Valentino's fast feet
Senegal (Aboubakar)
Senegal (Aboubakar)

Post by Valentino's fast feet » Sun Feb 04, 2024 10:44 pm

Bodacious Benny wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2024 10:19 pm
Agree, more than happy for Howe to have next season. With probably no Europe (hopefully no ECL) and with new additions and less injuries then no reason why he won’t get us top 4 or 5 again.
I can understand why people wouldn't want it, but I actually disagree. It's a trophy we'd be in real contention for should we qualify this season. Not only that, but it will give us another season in Europe - in theory against "lesser" teams - to allow for the squad to gain much needed experience.

As for the overall Howe issue, I agree with those saying it's all a bit much at this time. He's an excellent manager that's still learning and improving, and has been fantastic for us overall. I wholly agree with the Burn/rotation issues, but there's not a manager out there that doesn't make mistakes, and we don't all see the full picture anyway, so it's easy to judge. Although he does need dropping for the next game haha. Someone mentioned it's Howe's first season in Europe, he's learning how to manage upwards and evolving alongside us, which I think is perfect. This season was always going to be a struggle, it would never be possible to upgrade the squad in one or two windows to be able to deal with four competitions, let alone the elite level with CL. We finished bottom from a difficult group, but didn't disgrace ourselves for the most part. Shown up by more experienced competitors, maybe.

And speaking of the draw, we've had some overall bad luck this season. Tonali's ban absolutely blindsided us, and has had a massive knock on effect. There are those who say we should've done better due diligence, or should've seen it coming etc - but hindsight is 20/20. The long list of injuries is partially bad luck, partially expected to a degree due to our high intensity play style and having much more games to play - many of them at a high level. Sure, some blame can be attributed to lack of rotation at times, I'll acknowledge that. However we are hardly the only team in the prem this season to have such injuries, it's a clear side effect of the longer stoppages and the ball being "in play" longer. Plus the whole intensity arguments, we are playing at a higher level and much of the squad haven't experienced that.

Mild silver lining of the ban and injuries is the emergence of Miley, who is far from the finished product but he's stepping up when given the chance, so fair play lad. My personal theory on Hall, and this is guesswork, that the loan to buy agreement involves appearances and/or % of minutes played, hence the random few minute cameos he got for a bit towards the end. Whether he's not showing enough in training, or the PSR issues are worse than we thought and we don't want to commit the 28m+ in the summer - it seems likely that Hall isn't part of our plans going forward.

For those who want to send Howe on his way in the summer, bring in someone "elite" to take is to the next level, who is that? Mourinho, Potter? I think we have in place a very excellent manager, who has his faults but will continue to grow and improve alongside our team that is growing and overall is improving. It seems easy to forget that it was only a couple years ago we had a manager that didn't believe in tactics, slagged off the fans and was quite happy to keep us "ticking along." Along with his quest to find the bacon, of course.

And yes, our huge improvement since then obviously isn't just to do with Howe, the money has played it's part. I'm sure most if not all of us would rather it be from a less deplorable source, but the money has helped and is needed. But Howe and his team have been just as important to our increasing improvement. Wasn't build in a day, and the fact that people can be almost understandably disappointed by being in europe, a cup quarter final and a current top half standing in the table shows just how far Eddie Howe has taken us. I think he's far from done just yet.
Previously CIH/Cabella's Invincible Hair

Over The Line
Tribal Elder
Tribal Elder

Post by Over The Line » Mon Feb 05, 2024 9:27 am

Howe has enough credit built up with me to play whoever he wants this season and as long as we don't get relegated finish wherever.

If the window shuts next season and we are starting with Burn, Miggy, Longstaff/Miley, Murphy then questions can start to be asked.

originallad
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Post by originallad » Mon Feb 05, 2024 9:34 am

Valentino's fast feet wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2024 10:44 pm
Bodacious Benny wrote:
I can understand why people wouldn't want it, but I actually disagree. It's a trophy we'd be in real contention for should we qualify this season. Not only that, but it will give us another season in Europe - in theory against "lesser" teams - to allow for the squad to gain much needed experience.

As for the overall Howe issue, I agree with those saying it's all a bit much at this time. He's an excellent manager that's still learning and improving, and has been fantastic for us overall. I wholly agree with the Burn/rotation issues, but there's not a manager out there that doesn't make mistakes, and we don't all see the full picture anyway, so it's easy to judge. Although he does need dropping for the next game haha. Someone mentioned it's Howe's first season in Europe, he's learning how to manage upwards and evolving alongside us, which I think is perfect. This season was always going to be a struggle, it would never be possible to upgrade the squad in one or two windows to be able to deal with four competitions, let alone the elite level with CL. We finished bottom from a difficult group, but didn't disgrace ourselves for the most part. Shown up by more experienced competitors, maybe.

And speaking of the draw, we've had some overall bad luck this season. Tonali's ban absolutely blindsided us, and has had a massive knock on effect. There are those who say we should've done better due diligence, or should've seen it coming etc - but hindsight is 20/20. The long list of injuries is partially bad luck, partially expected to a degree due to our high intensity play style and having much more games to play - many of them at a high level. Sure, some blame can be attributed to lack of rotation at times, I'll acknowledge that. However we are hardly the only team in the prem this season to have such injuries, it's a clear side effect of the longer stoppages and the ball being "in play" longer. Plus the whole intensity arguments, we are playing at a higher level and much of the squad haven't experienced that.

Mild silver lining of the ban and injuries is the emergence of Miley, who is far from the finished product but he's stepping up when given the chance, so fair play lad. My personal theory on Hall, and this is guesswork, that the loan to buy agreement involves appearances and/or % of minutes played, hence the random few minute cameos he got for a bit towards the end. Whether he's not showing enough in training, or the PSR issues are worse than we thought and we don't want to commit the 28m+ in the summer - it seems likely that Hall isn't part of our plans going forward.

For those who want to send Howe on his way in the summer, bring in someone "elite" to take is to the next level, who is that? Mourinho, Potter? I think we have in place a very excellent manager, who has his faults but will continue to grow and improve alongside our team that is growing and overall is improving. It seems easy to forget that it was only a couple years ago we had a manager that didn't believe in tactics, slagged off the fans and was quite happy to keep us "ticking along." Along with his quest to find the bacon, of course.

And yes, our huge improvement since then obviously isn't just to do with Howe, the money has played it's part. I'm sure most if not all of us would rather it be from a less deplorable source, but the money has helped and is needed. But Howe and his team have been just as important to our increasing improvement. Wasn't build in a day, and the fact that people can be almost understandably disappointed by being in europe, a cup quarter final and a current top half standing in the table shows just how far Eddie Howe has taken us. I think he's far from done just yet.
<applause>

UlversToon
Argentina (Messi)
Argentina (Messi)

Post by UlversToon » Mon Feb 05, 2024 9:44 am

Valentino's fast feet wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2024 10:44 pm
Bodacious Benny wrote:

<applause> <ok>

Colly
Belgium (Lukaku)
Belgium (Lukaku)

Post by Colly » Mon Feb 05, 2024 10:51 am

<ok>

Excellent all round. And that second last para on "who comes in?" is an excellent point. It's not as if there's a big surplus of available proven managers floating around, particularly considering we'd now be competing with Liverpool and Barcelona who are clearly bigger pulls. Mourinho has a recent record of failure in the PL and as a manager who supposedly guarantees trophies all he's managed in over a decade is a couple of 2nd/3rd tier cups. Pochettino isn't doing his reputation any good currently (though in fairness recruitment has been woeful). We really could be doing a lot worse considering everything.

Remember Colo
Ancient Forum Relic
Ancient Forum Relic

Post by Remember Colo » Mon Feb 05, 2024 2:22 pm

I kinda hate that criticism of a manager immediately is immediate read as wanting to replace the manager - you can want to keep him while still levelling criticism for what feels like an obvious and repeating mistake. And I'll also clarify this is a big picture criticism, not something directed at the forum itself.

This particular run is frustrating because we know Howe to be incredibly analytical and precise with his tactics and performance review, and yet he feels to have a blindspot when it comes to BDB right now - and maybe it just speaks to him as a system manager stubbornly feeling most comfortable playing the players he trusts - even if they need rest or are out of form. Either way, it's a product of his success that we expect him to learn from these errors faster.

Valentino's fast feet
Senegal (Aboubakar)
Senegal (Aboubakar)

Post by Valentino's fast feet » Wed Feb 07, 2024 7:16 pm

Colly wrote:
Mon Feb 05, 2024 10:51 am
<ok>

Excellent all round. And that second last para on "who comes in?" is an excellent point. It's not as if there's a big surplus of available proven managers floating around, particularly considering we'd now be competing with Liverpool and Barcelona who are clearly bigger pulls. Mourinho has a recent record of failure in the PL and as a manager who supposedly guarantees trophies all he's managed in over a decade is a couple of 2nd/3rd tier cups. Pochettino isn't doing his reputation any good currently (though in fairness recruitment has been woeful). We really could be doing a lot worse considering everything.
No, who's on first. <gent>

That's a fair comment as well about the other jobs available that I didn't even really consider. Mostly because I don't think we will (or rather should) be looking for a new manager come the summer. I genuinely believe there isn't a manager available to us that will be a direct improvement on Howe. Of course I also believe Howe is the right man going forward, so a touch bias there. Kieran McKenna is a good up and coming manager with Ipswitch, it's likely he will be in the top division next season whatever happens. Michél is doing a fantastic job at City owned Girona, maybe he has a future in the premier league. But very much unproven both. Howe is proven, and is improving. Has his faults, but the main one is being a victim of his own success. Too good too quickly.
Previously CIH/Cabella's Invincible Hair

lassassinblanc
Netherlands (Gini)
Netherlands (Gini)

Post by lassassinblanc » Sat Mar 02, 2024 9:59 am

Some nagelsmann rumours floating
I'll Hazard a guess

Don Sholeone
Brazil (Neymar)
Brazil (Neymar)

Post by Don Sholeone » Wed Mar 20, 2024 6:29 pm

He's got to go now for me. I'll continue to support the team until the end of the season but I'll be very pissed off if he's still here beyond the summer. Howe has played a huge part in the derailing of this season and he needs to be called out on it. This Botman farce has to be the final straw, surely.