Howe under pressure?

jpg
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Re: Howe under pressure?

Post by jpg » Sat Dec 30, 2023 8:59 am

Can’t see much business other than Phillips loan and/or another cheap option to cover in midfield or GK.

Willock, Murphy, Barnes and Anderson all due back at some point next month (if those injury status websites are to be believed).

Had our fortunes been different and we stayed in the cups we might have seen some summer business brought forward.

Best case scenario is 5th place and a potential cup run which we should have enough depth in the squad from next month onwards to push for.

Valentino's fast feet
Senegal (Aboubakar)
Senegal (Aboubakar)

Post by Valentino's fast feet » Sat Dec 30, 2023 12:54 pm

I just don't think we will get any kind of goalkeeper in this window. There's no one out there of sufficient quality to improve upon Dubravka/Karius. De Gea the obvious one but I think wages are an issue there, it's odd he's still available.

The other option GK wise would be to get someone as a long term successor to Pope, rather than a stop gap. And again I don't see that happening because everything is saying we won't be spending anything close to what we'd need in January.

Phillips looks like it will happen mind, solid sensible deal.
Previously CIH/Cabella's Invincible Hair

Colly
Belgium (Lukaku)
Belgium (Lukaku)

Post by Colly » Sat Dec 30, 2023 4:04 pm

Agreed, a stop gap keeper is utterly pointless and pretty insulting to the 3 remaining in the squad. Dubravka isn't playing nearly as badly as some are making out, and stopped it from being 5 or 6 conceded against Forest.

I still think we need a long term upgrade on Pope, mainly for distribution (and Dubravka's quick throws have been a refreshing change), but I doubt you'll find that in January.

bodacious benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by bodacious benny » Sat Dec 30, 2023 4:59 pm

We’ll be absolutely fine with far fewer games and more players due back in Jan.

Already written off tomorrows game.
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

originallad
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Post by originallad » Sat Dec 30, 2023 5:53 pm

Bodacious Benny wrote:
Sat Dec 30, 2023 4:59 pm

We play on New Year's Day at 8pm. But aye so have I.

I don't think our season will get going again until we get some of our players back.

I reckon home against Luton is when we'll next get 3 points from.

Sanchino
http://thesaurus.com/browse/redundant

Post by Sanchino » Sun Dec 31, 2023 2:06 am

originallad wrote:
Sat Dec 30, 2023 5:53 pm
Bodacious Benny wrote:
Sat Dec 30, 2023 4:59 pm

I don't think our season will get going again until we get some of our players back.

Agreed. Don't see us beating Liverpool or Man City.. Villa might be able to get a point. I'll be happy if we can somehow scrape a couple points from those 3 matches and a win would be a great bonus. After those 3 we got some more favourable games in Feb against Luton, Forest and Bournemouth. By then we should have everyone fully fit and firing plus one or 2 signings to help the squad. Top 4's out of reach now.. but we can still sneak into the top 6 if we improve our form and get our momentum back. Worst case scenario 7th and 8th we could still get conference european football?

Colly
Belgium (Lukaku)
Belgium (Lukaku)

Post by Colly » Sun Dec 31, 2023 8:47 am

I suppose having bottled a load of 'winnable' games going into a game where even getting a goal would be a positive is novel. Might get a new year's surprise.

originallad
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Post by originallad » Sun Dec 31, 2023 10:54 am

Sanchino wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2023 2:06 am
originallad wrote:
Sat Dec 30, 2023 5:53 pm

Agreed. Don't see us beating Liverpool or Man City.. Villa might be able to get a point. I'll be happy if we can somehow scrape a couple points from those 3 matches and a win would be a great bonus. After those 3 we got some more favourable games in Feb against Luton, Forest and Bournemouth. By then we should have everyone fully fit and firing plus one or 2 signings to help the squad. Top 4's out of reach now.. but we can still sneak into the top 6 if we improve our form and get our momentum back. Worst case scenario 7th and 8th we could still get conference european football?
If we finish 7th and sneak into the back door of Europe, that would be a win in my eyes from our current position.

ALF
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies

Post by ALF » Tue Jan 02, 2024 2:42 pm

Colly wrote:
Sat Dec 30, 2023 4:04 pm
Agreed, a stop gap keeper is utterly pointless and pretty insulting to the 3 remaining in the squad. Dubravka isn't playing nearly as badly as some are making out, and stopped it from being 5 or 6 conceded against Forest.

I still think we need a long term upgrade on Pope, mainly for distribution (and Dubravka's quick throws have been a refreshing change), but I doubt you'll find that in January.
My issue with Dubravka is that as a team we don't seem at all solid. It's pure speculation but I get the feeling he is nowhere near as vocal as Pope who is constantly talking to the back 4. Teams get in behind us a lot more with Dubravka in goal than with Pope.

lassassinblanc
Netherlands (Gini)
Netherlands (Gini)

Post by lassassinblanc » Tue Jan 02, 2024 3:33 pm

ALF wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2024 2:42 pm
Colly wrote:
Sat Dec 30, 2023 4:04 pm

My issue with Dubravka is that as a team we don't seem at all solid. It's pure speculation but I get the feeling he is nowhere near as vocal as Pope who is constantly talking to the back 4. Teams get in behind us a lot more with Dubravka in goal than with Pope.
It will always take time for a keeper and back line to sync on things Pope definitely quicker off his line alright.

Without being at ground unsure of how vocal he is.

We have been scouting Georgi Marmadashvili from Valencia for the year I doubt anything will happen on that front until the summer though
I'll Hazard a guess

Sanchino

Post by Sanchino » Tue Jan 02, 2024 4:02 pm

lassassinblanc wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2024 3:33 pm
ALF wrote:

It will always take time for a keeper and back line to sync on things Pope definitely quicker off his line alright.

We have been scouting Georgi Marmadashvili from Valencia for the year I doubt anything will happen on that front until the summer though
Meant to be very highly-rated. Future star but don't see us getting him unless BOTH Dubra and Karius depart. <ok>

lassassinblanc
Netherlands (Gini)
Netherlands (Gini)

Post by lassassinblanc » Tue Jan 02, 2024 5:26 pm

Sanchino wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2024 4:02 pm
lassassinblanc wrote:

Meant to be very highly-rated. Future star but don't see us getting him unless BOTH Dubra and Karius depart. <ok>
Karius is out of contract in summer
I'll Hazard a guess

Colly
Belgium (Lukaku)
Belgium (Lukaku)

Post by Colly » Tue Jan 02, 2024 10:56 pm

lassassinblanc wrote:
ALF wrote:

Especially when Dubravka hasn't had the settled back line that Pope had all last season, it's been chopped and changed every week due to injury.

Honestly hadn't noticed much noise from either of them, Trippier tended to be the one noticeably organising so perhaps his decline has had an even bigger impact. I miss the good old days of Colo whistling.

Over The Line
Tribal Elder
Tribal Elder

Post by Over The Line » Wed Jan 03, 2024 10:31 am

We were always going to go on a bad run this season at some stage. Everyone from Dan Ashworth to Staveley said as much.

I pray we react by overhauling the squad in the summer, learn lessons from the last transfer window and stick with Howe.

It's also nice that a bad season for us now means we are at roughly 30 points at Christmas rather than the previous 10 points and potential relegation.

bodacious benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by bodacious benny » Wed Jan 03, 2024 10:52 am

Over The Line wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2024 10:31 am
We were always going to go on a bad run this season at some stage. Everyone from Dan Ashworth to Staveley said as much.

I pray we react by overhauling the squad in the summer, learn lessons from the last transfer window and stick with Howe.

It's also nice that a bad season for us now means we are at roughly 30 points at Christmas rather than the previous 10 points and potential relegation.
This!

I don't think anybody at the club really expect 4th place again with the demands of European football this season.

Nobody could have anticipated the number of injuries either.

If we finish around p7-8 this season I'm not that bothered. The current top 5 have opened a but of a gap to 6th and I think they're pretty set, West Ham looked like they were flagging a bit last night and still have Europe in Feb, as do Brighton above us. With fewer games we can leapfrog them.

Despite it hindering our league form, I enjoyed our CL exploits even if we did ultimately finish bottom of the group so will take a 'mediocre' season.
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

Over The Line
Tribal Elder
Tribal Elder

Post by Over The Line » Wed Jan 03, 2024 11:25 am

I just hope we beat Sunderland for the sake of the reactive fans.

A cup run again and a mid table finish would be more than fine for this season.

bodacious benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by bodacious benny » Wed Jan 03, 2024 11:39 am

Over The Line wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2024 11:25 am

It will be end of days for some if we lose that <laugh>

ALF
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies

Post by ALF » Wed Jan 03, 2024 3:12 pm

Bodacious Benny wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2024 11:39 am
Over The Line wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2024 11:25 am

This. It is important, partly because of who it is against but also I think the FA Cup is a great chance for us this season now. No real other distractions so I hope we turn up.

If we do lose it will be frustrating, but more so because it means our season is effectively over.

Sanchino

Post by Sanchino » Wed Jan 03, 2024 6:14 pm

ALF wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2024 3:12 pm
Bodacious Benny wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2024 11:39 am

This. It is important, partly because of who it is against but also I think the FA Cup is a great chance for us this season now. No real other distractions so I hope we turn up.

If we do lose it will be frustrating, but more so because it means our season is effectively over.
This. FA Cup only hope for us.. plus if we give it a good shot and win it or even we end up as finalists do we get a European spot? or only if you win it? <scratch>

ALF
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies

Post by ALF » Wed Jan 03, 2024 6:21 pm

Sanchino wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2024 6:14 pm
ALF wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2024 3:12 pm

This. FA Cup only hope for us.. plus if we give it a good shot and win it or even we end up as finalists do we get a European spot? or only if you win it? <scratch>
I'm sure the FA Cup runners up get a spot in the Europa League if the winners are in the CL. Might have changed now though.