questions for newcastle fans

sberry
Chancel New Member
Chancel New Member

questions for newcastle fans

Post by sberry » Tue Dec 26, 2023 6:48 pm

Hello! I am a first uni student doing a sociology project on newcastle fans. I support a team in sweden but have been really impressed by you guys during the champions league and wanted to write a paper on the fans. If anyone is interested in answering one or more of these questions so i can get a better insight.

Thank you!

1. What does Magpie mean for you?

2. What are your earliest memories of being a fan?

3. Define the spirit of NC United in one sentence ?

4. Who are the most important historic people in NCUs history?

5. When were you most proud of the team?

6. What is at the heart of the fans community?

7. People should become United fans because: ………

8. There would be no United without …….. ?

Timshorts 2
Portugal (Man baby)
Portugal (Man baby)

Re: questions for newcastle fans

Post by Timshorts 2 » Wed Dec 27, 2023 8:26 am

I'm not a fan of question 7.

It might work for people that live abroad, but within the UK, a side is either 'you' or it isn't. You can't just pick one - unless you are a glory hunting type. They pick you. If you have no geographical allegiances then there will be some that fit your personality and some that don't.
We all know types that choose to be an armchair fan of man United and Chelsea. They are the type of people that we could do without.
Of course, if the sorting hat would put you in slytherin, then you should probably become a scouser.

Colly
Belgium (Lukaku)
Belgium (Lukaku)

Post by Colly » Wed Dec 27, 2023 9:34 am

3. How's the bacon did you say?

Chappy
10 Champs Silver
10 Champs Silver

Post by Chappy » Wed Dec 27, 2023 11:46 am

6. What is at the heart of the fans community?

Unwavering pessimism <negmas>
It’s the noise, the passion, the feeling of belonging, the pride in your city.

overseasTOON
Uruguay (Nunez)
Uruguay (Nunez)

Post by overseasTOON » Thu Dec 28, 2023 11:42 am

1. For me, as I don't come from the area - it's about 35 years of following results and meeting fans of Newcastle and forming a relationship with them and many have become friends.

2. Earliest memory is watching them play for the first time. My father is a Bournemouth fan and took me to a match. Newcastle lost but played far better football and that was the start of me following results. It took me 10 more years to get to see my second game at a stadium.

3. Tough one but for me I suppose it still comes down to the banner that has been shown in the stadium "We don't expect a team to win but do expect a team to try".

4.There are a lot of important people in the history of NUFC and some for the best and some for the worst because without them - the history of the club would be different.
Joe Harvey - such an important player and manager of Newcastle.
Lord Westwood - a chairman/pirate who would set the tone for future scurrilous bastards to run us.
Sir John Hall - restarted the club and put us back on the map.
Keegan/Sir Bobby Robson - Carried on the work with the players that Sir John Hall had started.
Freddie Shepherd - chairman of the club who alienated fans and possibly set it in motion to be bought by the next a**hole that is -
Mike Ashley - in the history of this football club there is one name that stands out as worst owner. 14 years of underinvestment and soreness.

New owners and managers do stand out but for me still too early to give accolades. Maybe next year.

5. Tough one. Even through adversity there have been moments where I've been immensely proud of the team. Bouncing back twice after relegation stand out for that.

Losing the first 3 CL matches and being the first team to win remaining three and qualifying for next stage - Craig Bellamy!!!

The fight back 18 months ago when we looked certain to be relegated but Bruce was sacked, Howe was instated and we've never looked back.

6. The heart of the community is still the city, the club and the players. Time will tell if the new owners, hopeful new successes etc change this but I doubt it will.

7. I suppose in a way that I did choose to be a NUFC fan. All I can say is that in 35 years of following results I've made many friends and we've all been on a rollercoaster of emotions, success and despondency. What a ride!!

8. I'm going to go with passion and a damned fine sense of humour to help you survive.

sberry
Chancel New Member
Chancel New Member

Post by sberry » Sat Dec 30, 2023 10:23 am

ah thank you very much guys!