Post by Slim999 » Sat Feb 03, 2024 4:43 pm

Cmon..

I take it back Eddie

overseasTOON
Uruguay (Nunez)
Uruguay (Nunez)

Re: Matchday thread - Toon v Hatters

Post by overseasTOON » Sat Feb 03, 2024 4:43 pm

I'm gonna need another gin or two to get through this and Scotland have just started in 6 Nations so a Guinness as well.

UlversToon
Argentina (Messi)
Argentina (Messi)

Post by UlversToon » Sat Feb 03, 2024 4:51 pm

10 minutes! <yikes>

beatski
England (Kane)
England (Kane)

Post by beatski » Sat Feb 03, 2024 4:52 pm

streams have all stopped working for me

probably for the best for my heart

originallad
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Post by originallad » Sat Feb 03, 2024 5:01 pm

Good that we came back to make it 4 v 4 but that was absolutely s****.

Donkey Toon
Croatia (Modric)
Croatia (Modric)

Post by Donkey Toon » Sat Feb 03, 2024 5:03 pm

So my optimism at getting that great away win at Villa didn't last long.

beatski
England (Kane)
England (Kane)

Post by beatski » Sat Feb 03, 2024 5:13 pm

4 at home against Luton, good performance from the lads, not wholly unexpected to score that many based on our previous performances and the fact that Luton are a newly promoted side.

Wait, we conceded how many?!

ToonViking
Tindall's Hoody

Post by ToonViking » Sat Feb 03, 2024 5:20 pm

beatski wrote:
Sat Feb 03, 2024 5:13 pm
4 at home against Luton, good performance from the lads, not wholly unexpected to score that many based on our previous performances and the fact that Luton are a newly promoted side.

Wait, we conceded how many?!
🤣🤣🤣

overseasTOON
Uruguay (Nunez)
Uruguay (Nunez)

Post by overseasTOON » Sat Feb 03, 2024 5:35 pm

Not going to lie about it; gutted to drop the points Vs Luton at home and truly expected the 3 points as retribution for the away game before Xmas.

Howe needs to drop Burn to the bench as he's the weakest link in the defence and is always targeted. If Burn was scoring from set pieces then his inclusion would be merited but he doesn't.

Last season is done and dusted; history. Burn stepped in and covered the LB position and did very well but since then we've invested heavily in the squad with coverage for that position and yet the expensive new signings can't claim that role because of some faith and thanks Howe et al have retained in Burn.

Time for that to simply stop and Burn should be aware that he's not a first team starter now.

Retribution round two soon Vs Forest and we need the 3 points.

Blue & Maroon
France (Benzema)
France (Benzema)

Post by Blue & Maroon » Sat Feb 03, 2024 8:15 pm

On train back. Frustrating game. Burn very poor, should have been binned at half time, their number 7 had him on a plate from 5 minutes in. Missed Big Joe's steel in midfield, Bruno, Longstaff and Miley were unwilling to put a foot in, left the back 4 completely exposed.

Good character to come from 2 down but need to be winning games like this, no matter how s*** the ref is.

Chappy
10 Champs Silver
10 Champs Silver

Post by Chappy » Sat Feb 03, 2024 8:59 pm

Just got back home from the match - well I was right about it not being pretty...

Tbh a draw was probably a fair result on the day but I'm still spewing at how poor we were defensively. Conceding 4 at home to a newly promoted side is f***ing shocking - and considering we had the second tightest defence last season there's no excuses and it just shouldn't be happening. Nowt pisses me off more than mongy defending and lapses in concentration.

Their penalty didn't look like a pen from where I was sat but admittedly you miss a lot from the stands and I've yet to see it back on the highlights.... but forget about that... how many times does Dan Burn have to get skinned before Eddie realises he isn't a f***ing full back. Eddie man I love ya but if you start BDB at LB again I'm gonna drop kick you in the face!

Was expecting a tough game as Luton have been a pretty stubborn side throughout the season but not to that extent - they were bullying us at times and definitely deserved their point and will be going home a lot happier.
It’s the noise, the passion, the feeling of belonging, the pride in your city.

Chappy
10 Champs Silver
10 Champs Silver

Post by Chappy » Sat Feb 03, 2024 10:19 pm

Having watched the highlights I've got no complaints about the pen, just at having Dan Burn at LB...

Howe said in the post match interview that Gordon has twisted his ankle which I didn't catch - did wonder why he was brought off as I thought he had a decent game. Hopefully it's nothing serious <urgh>
It’s the noise, the passion, the feeling of belonging, the pride in your city.

Slim999
Shelvey's Precious

Post by Slim999 » Sat Feb 03, 2024 10:31 pm

overseasTOON wrote:
Sat Feb 03, 2024 5:35 pm
Not going to lie about it; gutted to drop the points Vs Luton at home and truly expected the 3 points as retribution for the away game before Xmas.

Howe needs to drop Burn to the bench as he's the weakest link in the defence and is always targeted. If Burn was scoring from set pieces then his inclusion would be merited but he doesn't.

Last season is done and dusted; history. Burn stepped in and covered the LB position and did very well but since then we've invested heavily in the squad with coverage for that position and yet the expensive new signings can't claim that role because of some faith and thanks Howe et al have retained in Burn.

Time for that to simply stop and Burn should be aware that he's not a first team starter now.

This

EH is demonstrating some kind of mental block or stubbornness for persisting in this.

If I was an opposing team or manager - I'd be getting my paciest and trickiest winger / wing backs onto that side to skin Dan

I just don't get it - also we could have seen Burn as a Centre back earlier in the season and rested Schar / Botman more - with Tino or Hall in at LB.

The lack of use of subs like Krafth , Ritchie , Dummet , Hall , Tino etc has seem some of our players overplayed .

In a high pressing set up that going to lead to tiredness/ staleness & loss of form / confidence ( its happened )

I know we've had a nightmare with injuries, but I'm losing the faith

Colly
Belgium (Lukaku)
Belgium (Lukaku)

Post by Colly » Sun Feb 04, 2024 9:55 am

Chappy wrote:
Sat Feb 03, 2024 10:19 pm
Having watched the highlights I've got no complaints about the pen, just at having Dan Burn at LB...

Howe said in the post match interview that Gordon has twisted his ankle which I didn't catch - did wonder why he was brought off as I thought he had a decent game. Hopefully it's nothing serious <urgh>
We spotted he was limping but it looked a knock, hopefully minor as you say.

Not much more to add really, Luton (and particularly Barkley) looked decent and let's not forget put 4 past Brighton midweek and 3 past Arsenal earlier in the season. Game was far too open though, we couldn't control the midfield with all 3 of ours (despite Longstaff's goals and a brief improvement for Bruno second half, that one run on the left was superb) anonymous throughout meaning it was attack v defense all game. Poor goals to concede, and they weren't all on Dan Burn, two free headers for the first is pathetic. Worst game Miley's played yet, but he's 17, it was always going to come and having a bad one might actually do him the world of good.

Worst tactical decision had to be swapping the wingers second half, Miggy's pace had been working on the left and Murphy absolutely can't play there, it was such a clear improvement when Barnes came on and he moved back across.

Referee was pretty poor but probably not in a game changing way, just missed obvious fouls at times. Luton would have had the biggest complaint were it not for VAR, of all the things that could have been (pen or no pen) it absolutely couldn't have been a free kick, though I wish Burn had made the foul there...

Need 6 points from Forest and Bournemouth now.

bodacious benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by bodacious benny » Sun Feb 04, 2024 3:01 pm

If Luton stay up then their manager should get manager of the season. Him keeping them up would be far more impressive than Pep winning another treble at Man C.
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

Sanchino
http://thesaurus.com/browse/redundant
http://thesaurus.com/browse/redundant

Post by Sanchino » Sun Feb 04, 2024 4:24 pm

overseasTOON wrote:

Agreed. <applause>

If he persists to start with Burn and we keep getting exposed we seriously need to consider replacing Howe at the end of the season. Everyone can clearly see he's getting burnt for pace and at best should be a 3rd choice CB and only play LB if NEEDED (aka if Tino/Targett/Hall are injured). We need a modern attacking ball-playing technically gifted full-back (Tino..) not a giant man mountain of a CENTER BACK in Burn. Hopefully Gordon's injury is not too bad and he'll be back sooner rather than later.

Team-line up for Forest :

Dubra
Trippier Botman Schar Tino
Longstaff Bruno Miley
Miggy* Wilson* Barnes

*If Gordon and Isak are still injured. Toss-up between Miggy and Murphy starting RW tbh both have there pros and cons. Barnes definitely should start, always looks like a threat and either has a goal or assist in him.

Slim999
Shelvey's Precious

Post by Slim999 » Sun Feb 04, 2024 8:17 pm

Sanchino wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2024 4:24 pm
overseasTOON wrote:

Agreed. <applause>

If he persists to start with Burn and we keep getting exposed we seriously need to consider replacing Howe at the end of the season. Everyone can clearly see he's getting burnt for pace and at best should be a 3rd choice CB and only play LB if NEEDED (aka if Tino/Targett/Hall are injured). We need a modern attacking ball-playing technically gifted full-back (Tino..) not a giant man mountain of a CENTER BACK in Burn. Hopefully Gordon's injury is not too bad and he'll be back sooner rather than later.

Team-line up for Forest :

Dubra
Trippier Botman Schar Tino
Longstaff Bruno Miley
Miggy* Wilson* Barnes

*If Gordon and Isak are still injured. Toss-up between Miggy and Murphy starting RW tbh both have there pros and cons. Barnes definitely should start, always looks like a threat and either has a goal or assist in him.
It's such a blessing to have Murphy back - he can fit in just about anywhere . Great to see Barnes straight back in the goals - now we need to rotate regularly Barnes ,, Gordon , Murphy, Isak , Almiron , Wilson - and hopefully Anderson soon.

Keep players fresh and on the front foot which is our game plan