Joelinton set to sign new deal

Cal
Denmark (Kasper)
Denmark (Kasper)

Joelinton set to sign new deal

Post by Cal » Tue Apr 09, 2024 9:15 am

The Telegraph are reporting that Joelinton's contract renewal is close to being done

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/20 ... ddie-howe/
Newcastle United are close to finalising a new contract for Brazil international Joelinton after a series of positive meetings with the player and his representatives.

The expected announcement of the extension will be a huge boost to manager Eddie Howe and the Newcastle board, who had made a successful conclusion to these problematic contract talks, their main priority before the end of the season.

Joelinton, who has become integral to Howe’s plans as a box-to-box, midfield enforcer, only has 15 months remaining on his existing deal and will be made available for transfer in the summer if he does not agree to extend.

Despite an initially gloomy assessment of the chances of keeping the 27-year-old at the start of the year, Telegraph Sport has been told the talks have progressed well behind the scenes and discussions have been heading in a positive direction for several weeks.

Multiple sources have now said it looks like the player will be staying on Tyneside although the final details still need to be thrashed out.
Joelinton will become one of the club’s top earners, moving alongside compatriot Bruno Guimaraes and is expected to commit himself to the club for the next four years.
https://archive.is/ra7dU

It'll be like a new signing <whistle>

bodacious benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Re: Joelinton set to sign new deal

Post by bodacious benny » Tue Apr 09, 2024 10:29 am

<diva>

Deserves it to be fair. Absolutely key for us.
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

lassassinblanc
Netherlands (Gini)
Netherlands (Gini)

Post by lassassinblanc » Tue Apr 09, 2024 11:19 am

Great move, the one thing I'll say about Ashworth was he appeared to be a stickler when it came to contracts Wage limits, twice the board had to intervene with new contracts.

Tbh not sure if it's a good thing or a bad thing but delighted Jo has signed a new deal
I'll Hazard a guess

bodacious benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by bodacious benny » Tue Apr 09, 2024 12:02 pm

lassassinblanc wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2024 11:19 am
Great move, the one thing I'll say about Ashworth was he appeared to be a stickler when it came to contracts Wage limits, twice the board had to intervene with new contracts.

Tbh not sure if it's a good thing or a bad thing but delighted Jo has signed a new deal
I’d say when it’s for someone absolutely crucial it’s not a bad thing, but if the board were stepping in to give say someone like Murphy/Miggy/Longstaff a massive new contract it would be a slippery slope.
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

Remember Colo
Ancient Forum Relic
Ancient Forum Relic

Post by Remember Colo » Tue Apr 09, 2024 2:56 pm

Glad that this will be one more position we may not have to invest in - although I still think we need to recruit a proper CDM. I think Bruno, Big Joe and Tonali have the makings of a good midfield 3, however none of them are true defensive midfielders and I only think they could cover us with the sum of their parts. We have a season of evidence how insufficient our central midfield is in supporting the backline with every combination of other options.

Sanchino
http://thesaurus.com/browse/redundant
http://thesaurus.com/browse/redundant

Post by Sanchino » Tue Apr 09, 2024 4:46 pm

Remember Colo wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2024 2:56 pm
Glad that this will be one more position we may not have to invest in - although I still think we need to recruit a proper CDM. I think Bruno, Big Joe and Tonali have the makings of a good midfield 3, however none of them are true defensive midfielders and I only think they could cover us with the sum of their parts. We have a season of evidence how insufficient our central midfield is in supporting the backline with every combination of other options.
This. I would sell Longstaff to fund that, get a young physical and strong robust dedicated no.6 enforcer as Tonali, Bruno and Joe all are box--to-box midfielders not necessary dedicated no.6's though but all have unique attributes with Joe being a powerhouse physical beast who can make long-busting runs forward, Tonali a smooth cool composed deep-lying playmaker who can pull the strings from deep and Bruno a technical maestro all around who's efficient in defense and attack. We're being linked to Wilfred Ndidi from Leicester (on a free contract expiring in the summer) but think we can aim higher than that unless he's just coming in as cover for CDM/CB.

Next season with those three mentioned all fit, plus a NEW CDM, Willock, Anderson and Miley we'll have the makings of a quality midfield who can rotate effectively in between competitions (especially if we're in Europe). Even we could afford to loan Miley out on a 6 month loan deal with a recall option with the options we have for next season as we need him to continue his development I'm sure he would start regularly in a newly promoted team like Leeds/Ipswich, etc and that would do him the world of good. Would love a physical DM like Onana, Paulinho, etc who already have Premier League experience and quality. Unless we find a gem ala Tiote (R.I.P) from overseas or something like that.

CDM, New RW, Potential NEW ST (if Wilson goes) and potential NEW CB need to be priorities this summer. LB situation needs to get resolved as I feel Hall is still raw and developing, Targett not sure if he's the long-term answer and Burn we've seen is way better in his natural CB position than on the left.
Last edited by Sanchino on Tue Apr 09, 2024 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lassassinblanc
Netherlands (Gini)
Netherlands (Gini)

Post by lassassinblanc » Tue Apr 09, 2024 4:50 pm

bodacious benny wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2024 12:02 pm
lassassinblanc wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2024 11:19 am

I’d say when it’s for someone absolutely crucial it’s not a bad thing, but if the board were stepping in to give say someone like Murphy/Miggy/Longstaff a massive new contract it would be a slippery slope.
Oh I agree 100% as you say if Miggy came looking for over 100k I'd imagine he'd be told where to go
I'll Hazard a guess

Valentino's fast feet
Senegal (Aboubakar)
Senegal (Aboubakar)

Post by Valentino's fast feet » Tue Apr 09, 2024 5:20 pm

Sanchino wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2024 4:46 pm
Remember Colo wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2024 2:56 pm
This. I would sell Longstaff to fund that, get a young physical and strong robust dedicated no.6 enforcer as Tonali, Bruno and Joe all are box--to-box midfielders not necessary dedicated no.6's though but all have unique attributes with Joe being a powerhouse physical beast who can make long-busting runs forward, Tonali a smooth cool composed deep-lying playmaker who can pull the strings from deep and Bruno a technical maestro all around who's efficient in defense and attack. We're being linked to Wilfred Ndidi from Leicester (on a free contract expiring in the summer) but think we can aim higher than that unless he's just coming in as cover for CDM/CB.

Next season with those three mentioned all fit, plus a NEW CDM, Willock, Anderson and Miley we'll have the makings of a quality midfield who can rotate effectively in between competitions (especially if we're in Europe). Even we could afford to loan Miley out on a 6 month loan deal with a recall option with the options we have for next season as we need him to continue his development I'm sure he would start regularly in a newly promoted team like Leeds/Ipswich, etc and that would do him the world of good. Would love a physical DM like Onana, Paulinho, etc who already have Premier League experience and quality. Unless we find a gem ala Tiote (R.I.P) from overseas or something like that.

CDM, New RW, Potential NEW ST (if Wilson goes) and potential NEW CB need to be priorities this summer. LB situation needs to get resolved as I feel Hall is still raw and developing, Targett not sure if he's the long-term answer and Burn we've seen is way better in his natural CB position than on the left.
I think with two out of our four cb options out longterm, that has to be the priority before any other position. We theoretically need two first team options there. Probably more like one ready to go and another to develop and eventually replace schar. But if schar takes a knock, we are down to burn and dumett at CB as the obly real options.

I agree with the rest of the positions, and we need another striker regardless if Wilson moves on or not. But I think with the serious injuries, CB has to be the first priority.
Previously CIH/Cabella's Invincible Hair

beatski
England (Kane)
England (Kane)

Post by beatski » Tue Apr 09, 2024 5:40 pm

Doubt we'll sell Longstaff due to the club trained European spots benefit.

If we do look to bring in a defensive midfielder our midfield would be a bit overcrowded though. Miley out on loan perhaps? or Willock sold (although with his injuries this season there wouldnt be good market for him).

Prior the injuries to CB i'd say RW was our most pressing need. There are two good options available on a free at CB in Kelly and Tosin. I'd be surprised if we don't sign the former, given that he's worked with Howe before and could be a long term successor to Burn's squad role. Equally we need to replace both Lascelles and Schar in the next couple of years, get Tosin in and see how he fares as to whether he's eventual first team or eventual depth? Addresses the issue and keeps FFP costs down so we can spend more on a top quality RW (think we'll sell Miggy/Murphy too).

Also on the freebies, for DM; Ndidi is available. As is Guido Rodriguez, who i've never actually heard of because i dont watch any foreign football, but transfermarkt values him highly <whistle>

We'll probably be in the market for a second choice GK who can sweep out from the back better, with Dubravka not suiting it (so could be sold) and Karius off.

Also we need a depth striker who can actually stay fit, and is happy to be behind Isak in the pecking order (agree that we need one whether or not Wilson is sold). Here's where my ever controversial suggestion of Adam Armstrong rears its ugly head again <roll>. He's having a great season in the Championship (could do better in the prem in a better team perhaps), can play across the front 3, only has a year on his contract, counts as club trained for Europe, and is potentially more likely to be happy with a squad role seeing as its Newcastle.

Left back has too many variables for me as to whether we need to strengthen. Can Hall step up in the remainder of the season? Can Targett get fit and regain form? and can we go back to playing the system with Burn there with the return of players that facilitate that formation? If we sign Kelly, could he also do a similar job to Burn there? With potential solutions and FFP limitations it could be pretty low priority, especially if we get all of the above.

lassassinblanc
Netherlands (Gini)
Netherlands (Gini)

Post by lassassinblanc » Thu Apr 11, 2024 3:52 pm

I'll Hazard a guess

Colly
Belgium (Lukaku)
Belgium (Lukaku)

Post by Colly » Thu Apr 11, 2024 4:04 pm

Honestly the best news in ages. I know football is a business and I should care about FFP and net spend and other nonsense, but to have a player who went from almost a joke to the engine room in a CL team (as was) is what the game is about.

seaside nipper
Spain (Morata)
Spain (Morata)

Post by seaside nipper » Thu Apr 11, 2024 4:10 pm

<applause> Great news.
Clydeside & Tyneside

originallad
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Post by originallad » Thu Apr 11, 2024 4:11 pm

Brilliant news!

Chappy
10 Champs Silver
10 Champs Silver

Post by Chappy » Thu Apr 11, 2024 8:04 pm

Buzzing with that like
It’s the noise, the passion, the feeling of belonging, the pride in your city.