Matchday thread - Toon v Burnley

seaside nipper
Spain (Morata)
Spain (Morata)

Re: Matchday thread - Toon v Burnley

Post by seaside nipper » Sun May 05, 2024 6:12 pm

bodacious benny wrote:
Sun May 05, 2024 1:57 pm
I think this squad would easily be where Villa are had it not been for incredible bad luck / bad management of injuries. But a quality right winger and those defensive reinforcements as you say would put us in a very strong position for next year I think.
71 points last season got us CL.
That’s possibly two maybe three wins from a repeat season. This Season feels like a frustratingly stubborn underachieving mess at times but the margins are so slim.
We’ve possibly had our worst season for injuries ever, whilst that’s not the whole story bar a couple of questionable team selections we are so close to last seasons ‘overachieving’
Plan has to be Top six next season and I’m sure we are in good hands to catch that post a summer reset
Clydeside & Tyneside

jpg
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Post by jpg » Mon May 06, 2024 8:43 am

Had our injury crisis been a bit less severe and English clubs did as well as they were expected to in Europe we could have almost stolen a 5th place champions league spot this year. If only!

Defence aside I’m not really sure where we strengthen next season. I guess a lot hinges on Bruno/Isak this summer. Although Kieran Maguire recently pointed out that we’re not as restricted by PSR as it’s being made out to be in the papers. A £25m sale this summer, coupled with the new commercial deals could help us fill the holes in the squad. Then a sale of BG or AI would basically allow us a sizeable flex in the next few windows. Personally think we’re better off keeping both and making a fist of next season - think a trophy is achievable with our squad.

beatski
England (Kane)
England (Kane)

Post by beatski » Tue May 07, 2024 5:28 pm

jpg wrote:
Mon May 06, 2024 8:43 am
Had our injury crisis been a bit less severe and English clubs did as well as they were expected to in Europe we could have almost stolen a 5th place champions league spot this year. If only!

Defence aside I’m not really sure where we strengthen next season. I guess a lot hinges on Bruno/Isak this summer. Although Kieran Maguire recently pointed out that we’re not as restricted by PSR as it’s being made out to be in the papers. A £25m sale this summer, coupled with the new commercial deals could help us fill the holes in the squad. Then a sale of BG or AI would basically allow us a sizeable flex in the next few windows. Personally think we’re better off keeping both and making a fist of next season - think a trophy is achievable with our squad.
Right wing. Read earlier that Olise has a 60mil release clause, so that's gonna be my pick (would love Bowen but cant imagine Wham wanting to sell)

lassassinblanc
Netherlands (Gini)
Netherlands (Gini)

Post by lassassinblanc » Tue May 07, 2024 5:30 pm

beatski wrote:
Tue May 07, 2024 5:28 pm
jpg wrote:
Mon May 06, 2024 8:43 am

Right wing. Read earlier that Olise has a 60mil release clause, so that's gonna be my pick (would love Bowen but cant imagine Wham wanting to sell)
True, Andrew does quite well for himself
I'll Hazard a guess

Colly
Belgium (Lukaku)
Belgium (Lukaku)

Post by Colly » Tue May 07, 2024 7:10 pm

Bowen might want his Freedom though.

Don Sholeone
Brazil (Neymar)
Brazil (Neymar)

Post by Don Sholeone » Tue May 07, 2024 7:21 pm

I said a few times recently that I think we only really need 2 quality signings, a RW and a CDM. But that was taking into account the potential free defensive signings. So that would depend on how the Kelly and Tosin rumours go.

Bowen would be the dream signing for me, only hope of signing him is if West Ham wanted to build up some funds for the new manager to play with, even if that was the case then I see West Ham holding out for silly money, probably something around 70-80m.

Olise would come down to his release clause.

Better value will probably come from abroad as PL is an increasingly tough market to deal in, let alone get good value.

beatski
England (Kane)
England (Kane)

Post by beatski » Tue May 07, 2024 7:24 pm

Don Sholeone wrote:
Tue May 07, 2024 7:21 pm
I said a few times recently that I think we only really need 2 quality signings, a RW and a CDM. But that was taking into account the potential free defensive signings. So that would depend on how the Kelly and Tosin rumours go.

Bowen would be the dream signing for me, only hope of signing him is if West Ham wanted to build up some funds for the new manager to play with, even if that was the case then I see West Ham holding out for silly money, probably something around 70-80m.

Olise would come down to his release clause.

Better value will probably come from abroad as PL is an increasingly tough market to deal in, let alone get good value.
True, but I don't watch any foreign football, so don't know any potential good signings from abroad

Colly
Belgium (Lukaku)
Belgium (Lukaku)

Post by Colly » Tue May 07, 2024 7:34 pm

I acknowledge this is a ridiculous and completely illogical viewpoint, but I've always hated when the best players from teams are poached by PL "big clubs", and that hasn't changed now we potentially are one. Hated it when Brighton got torn apart at the start of this season, hated it when that good Southampton side got ripped to bits, and I'd hate it if the same thing happens to Palace. It'll happen of course, but I much prefer poaching from Europe where I don't care as much (sounding a bit Brexit...), or a Gordon style transfer where he wasn't wanted.

Don Sholeone
Brazil (Neymar)
Brazil (Neymar)

Post by Don Sholeone » Tue May 07, 2024 8:02 pm

That's the Premier League for you, it's basically how it's been set up, sadly a lot of teams have been the turkeys that are voting for Christmas over the years, so I do lose a little bit of sympathy in that regard as it's been of their own making with how they went with so much of the "top 6" **** especially on FFP votes.

Brighton though I think have got the better of the bigger clubs with their outgoings, for me the worst is when you have the transfers like Kalvin Phillips etc, those who are a massive part of their clubs who then get torn away to just sit on a bench and rot for a few years.

bodacious benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by bodacious benny » Tue May 07, 2024 9:01 pm

Yeah Brighton have absolutely rinsed a few teams tbf <laugh>
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?