Thanks Jeff!

The Deluded Pablo Diego Jose Francisco
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Thanks Jeff!

Post by The Deluded Pablo Diego Jose Francisco » Thu May 03, 2012 4:55 pm

http://www.skysports.com/opinion/story/ ... 73,00.html
Roberto Mancini if Man City win the league? Brendan Rodgers for Swansea's style and substance? Paul Lambert for surpassing expectations at Norwich?

Each of those have a claim (and Sir Alex Ferguson is never far away in these things) but realistically there is a clear winner in my view - honorary Geordie Alan Pardew.

Regardless of whether Newcastle finish in the top four or not, what he has achieved on Tyneside this season is staggering.

Wednesday night's win over Chelsea symbolised everything about the Newcastle side he's developed. They were tremendously well organised, showed fantastic battling qualities and team spirit, and demonstrated wonderful flair going forward.

I don't mind saying that at the start of the season I thought Newcastle would end up getting relegated.

I remember that when Pardew first went to Newcastle (and by the way I thought Chris Hughton was treated incredibly unfairly) a lot of the fans' websites were incredibly negative about his appointment; many saw him as a nodding dog for the unpopular owners.

But he's turned out to be anything but and the tone on those same websites has changed. I read one tongue-in-cheek comment this week which said 'I dinna know who this man thinks he is. He's come in here, improved our team, improved our style of play, improved our league position...'

They've certainly claimed some decent scalps long the way - beating Man Utd 3-0, Liverpool 2-0, Chelsea 2-0.

In footballing terms Pardew's results speak for themselves. Everywhere he's been, his percentage win-rate stands out: Southampton (53), Reading (48), Newcastle (43), West Ham (41). Only his time at Charlton (31) could be perceived as relatively disappointing.

Transformed

Pardew is meticulous in everything he does but in the week that Roy Hodgson was appointed England boss, I couldn't help reflecting that he isn't the style of person who would necessarily go down well at the FA.

He is quite outspoken at times and I don't feel he is one who would necessarily toe the line, when it is necessary to do so, and there is a touch of arrogance in his manner that helps set him apart from some of his peers and gets the best out of players.

Take Fabricio Coloccini, for example, who appears a player transformed. Pardew has got him playing to his strengths and that's mirrored throughout the side; there are no square pegs in round holes. People know what their job is; they know what they are meant to be doing and work tremendously hard for their boss.

Then there are players who have come into the side like James Perch, who many thought of as extremely ordinary, who has had such an incredible impact that suddenly the fans are calling him 'Perchinio'!

Inspiration

Up front Newcastle have been a revelation. In the first half of the season Demba Ba caught the eye, now it's all about Papiss Cisse - even though I actually think Ba is still playing pretty well.

Both of Cisse's strikes against Chelsea were wonder goals, for me. The second one is the more spectacular but the first was absolutely breath-taking. He's performed at that level since he arrived at the club following another great piece of talent spotting. Not bad for £9m! He looks as though he's worth twice, three times that amount.

Cheik Ismael Tiote has been incredible too, while Hatem Ben Arfa - the 'enfant terrible' of French football - looks like a player rehabilitated. He hasn't put a foot wrong for Newcastle and has become an integral part of the side.

Every time Newcastle lose and lose badly - the defeats to Fulham, Tottenham and Wigan spring to mind - there has been a temptation to say 'that's it, the bubble has finally burst' but it never has.

That fantastic achievement is down to the dedication and inspiration of the management and the coaching staff. Generally speaking - aside from notable absentees like Steven Taylor - they've been fairly fortunate with injuries which has meant that Pardew has been able to play a similar team for much of the season.

Perhaps Pardew's biggest achievement is that nobody seems to be talking about Mike Ashley anymore! I imagine the owner is absolutely delighted because Pardew has taken all of the pressure of him.

Of course, Newcastle can still have a massive impact on the destiny of the Premier League title.

If Manchester City win at Newcastle on Sunday then they will deserve to be champions, because as United found out, it's a hell of a tough place to go and get a result.

With 50,000-odd Geordies there it is going to be one fantastic afternoon and, to be honest, I wouldn't want to predict which way it will go!
It's hard to disagree with what he says, he even admitted to thinking that we would go down (like many others) and seems to like the fact he has been proven wrong.

I hope Pards gets the MOTY award, he fully deserves it and the plaudits he'll get with it, i just hope it doesn't become a jinx for next season! <monster> :bandit:

Yacob
Laziness is for Pussies
Laziness is for Pussies

Re: Thanks Jeff!

Post by Yacob » Thu May 03, 2012 5:05 pm

The media must be writing all these with heavy hearts, they love to criticise us and we have provided them with lots of stories, now we are being well run, they must be disappointed

Geordie Boot Boy!
Miggy's Smiles

Post by Geordie Boot Boy! » Thu May 03, 2012 5:07 pm

LeonBestIsMint wrote:The media must be writing all these with heavy hearts, they love to criticise us and we have provided them with lots of stories, now we are being well run, they must be disappointed
Yep, definitely, you can tell every time we do something great the pundits are praising us through gritted teeth, it makes it easier for them to make their crap articles if the "big 4" and "top 6" remain the same consistently, we are upsetting the apple cart and they hate every minute of it, most of them that is.

Jeff Stelling is normally ok though, supports a modest team and is usually happy to give praise where its due.

Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Post by The Deluded Pablo Diego Jose Francisco » Thu May 03, 2012 5:15 pm

Geordie Boot Boy! wrote:
LeonBestIsMint wrote:The media must be writing all these with heavy hearts, they love to criticise us and we have provided them with lots of stories, now we are being well run, they must be disappointed
Yep, definitely, you can tell every time we do something great the pundits are praising us through gritted teeth, it makes it easier for them to make their crap articles if the "big 4" and "top 6" remain the same consistently, we are upsetting the apple cart and they hate every minute of it, most of them that is.

Jeff Stelling is normally ok though, supports a modest team and is usually happy to give praise where its due
Jeff has always had a soft spot for NE football (must be the only presenter/pundit in England to have one though <erm> ) and has always been kind to us, wereas his co-pundits like to rip into us at every oppertunity.

Wot lad?
Tribal Elder
Tribal Elder

Post by Wot lad? » Thu May 03, 2012 5:26 pm

Everyone loves Jeff

Does anyone in the world not like Jeff??

Seriously he is the best bloke ever along with Chris kamara and Karl Pilkington.
I love you all

Andmcit
Wilson's Loose Tooth

Post by Andmcit » Thu May 03, 2012 6:06 pm

Jeff always has a fair word (against the BS of the other 'experts') for NUFC and sometimes doggedly
continues the point about sone aspect that is good/worth mentioning about us. Incredible Jeff!

Swarlos
Annoying Shitmuncher
Annoying Shitmuncher

Post by Swarlos » Thu May 03, 2012 6:12 pm

I love his celebration when that James Brown guy (or whatever his name is scores)

Captain Obvious
Drunk Control
Drunk Control

Post by Captain Obvious » Thu May 03, 2012 6:17 pm

where is your avatar from?

Swarlos
Annoying Shitmuncher
Annoying Shitmuncher

Post by Swarlos » Thu May 03, 2012 6:18 pm

Gorgeous George wrote:The Deluded Pablo Diego Jose Francisco

Brilliant first post. Bit random though!

blahzone
Wilson's Loose Tooth

Post by blahzone » Thu May 03, 2012 6:27 pm

Jeff has always been extremely level headed and studies football meticulously. Well researched and supported article not full of holes and heresay like the majority of others.

Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Post by The Deluded Pablo Diego Jose Francisco » Thu May 03, 2012 7:42 pm

Gorgeous George wrote:The Deluded Pablo Diego Jose Francisco

Dunno what movie its from, but the girl is Kristen Bell.

Andmcit
Wilson's Loose Tooth

Post by Andmcit » Thu May 03, 2012 8:02 pm

It's a scene from the series "Veronica Mars" - Kirsten Bell plays the leading role.
It's a fabulous clip and that smile does mesmerise me every time I see it!!!

Last edited by Andmcit on Thu May 03, 2012 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Captain Obvious
Drunk Control
Drunk Control

Post by Captain Obvious » Thu May 03, 2012 8:05 pm

whats the context of the smile?

Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Post by The Deluded Pablo Diego Jose Francisco » Thu May 03, 2012 8:10 pm

Gorgeous George wrote:whats the context of the smile?
Whatever you want it to be ;)

Captain Obvious
Drunk Control
Drunk Control

Post by Captain Obvious » Thu May 03, 2012 8:12 pm

peter lovenkrands is showering just out of view

Pardew's Legendary Specs
Laziness is for Pussies
Laziness is for Pussies

Post by Pardew's Legendary Specs » Thu May 03, 2012 8:23 pm

Gorgeous George wrote:peter lovenkrands is showering just out of view
No, it's me <whistle>
<cheers> ............ ......... <cheers>

Nick
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by Nick » Thu May 03, 2012 8:26 pm

I still dont get how people predicted us to get relegated this season though :S

Pardew's Legendary Specs
Laziness is for Pussies
Laziness is for Pussies

Post by Pardew's Legendary Specs » Thu May 03, 2012 8:32 pm

Nick wrote:I still dont get how people predicted us to get relegated this season though :S
unproven players i guess.

take ba's and cisse's goals out of the equation?

cabaye unproven in PL
santon unproven in PL
weak squad depth

etc etc etc
<cheers> ............ ......... <cheers>

Swarlos
Annoying Shitmuncher
Annoying Shitmuncher

Post by Swarlos » Thu May 03, 2012 8:33 pm

BTW, new Tash, who are you?

Nick
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by Nick » Thu May 03, 2012 8:35 pm

I dont buy any of that 'unproven in the PL' bollocks either, thats just for people who dont watch football and are too lazy to research other leagues.