Siem De Jong possibly out until after Christmas

tomtom94
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Re: Siem De Jong possibly out until after Christmas

Post by tomtom94 » Tue Sep 09, 2014 8:52 pm

Goat wrote:It's quite a shame that after all the positivity regarding those summer signings, our first-choice XI for the next few months is now quite a bit weaker than what we we're able to put out last season with the likes of Remy and Cabaye.
<laugh> Sorry, I agree with you but found the choice of words hilarious.
History wrought with disease for so long, a nation sleeps tight... the poison carries on!

this space reserved for particularly amusing quotes and/or images.

With friends like these, who needs herpes?

overseasTOON
Uruguay (Nunez)
Uruguay (Nunez)

Post by overseasTOON » Tue Oct 21, 2014 11:03 am

DeJong
BeGone
ForLong… (er)

Reported that he'll be out for at least another eight weeks.

Goat
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Post by Goat » Tue Oct 21, 2014 11:32 am

We've bought a dud. No wonder he was so cheap.
 ∧∧
(・ω・ )
uu_)~

Smudger
I'm a Star
I'm a Star

Post by Smudger » Tue Oct 21, 2014 12:03 pm

Goat wrote:We've bought a dud. No wonder he was so cheap.
Averaged 40 games a season over the last 5 years.

Smudger
I'm a Star
I'm a Star

Post by Smudger » Tue Oct 21, 2014 12:04 pm

Another 8 weeks means he's not out for any longer than expected, the title of the article says "until after Christmas", which he's still on course for. Possibly earlier, in fact.

Remember Colo
Ancient Forum Relic
Ancient Forum Relic

Post by Remember Colo » Tue Oct 21, 2014 1:37 pm

Smudger wrote:
This. Talk about a knee-jerk response. 1 + 1 =/= 3

Goat
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Post by Goat » Tue Oct 21, 2014 2:16 pm

Smudger wrote:
And was out for half of his last Ajax season with a recurring groin problem which manifested itself again when he joined us. He then got a long-term thigh problem almost immediately after he recovered from that.

Ajax either knew something we don't, or it's just a very bad coincidence that it's all came along at once. I still personally believe that £6mill for the Ajax captain was unusually cheap.
 ∧∧
(・ω・ )
uu_)~

Smudger
I'm a Star
I'm a Star

Post by Smudger » Tue Oct 21, 2014 3:29 pm

Goat wrote:
Smudger wrote:
And was out for half of his last Ajax season with a recurring groin problem which manifested itself again when he joined us. He then got a long-term thigh problem almost immediately after he recovered from that.

Ajax either knew something we don't, or it's just a very bad coincidence that it's all came along at once. I still personally believe that £6mill for the Ajax captain was unusually cheap.
He had one year left on his contract and clearly wanted the move. And of course, the Dutch league isn't in a great financial position.

He had a collapsed lung, a thigh injury and then the hamstring. Injury history hardly suggests he's injury prone, just one unfortunate season: http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/siem-de- ... eler/45509" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Goat
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Post by Goat » Wed Oct 22, 2014 12:23 pm

Smudger wrote:
Goat wrote:

He had one year left on his contract and clearly wanted the move. And of course, the Dutch league isn't in a great financial position.

He had a collapsed lung, a thigh injury and then the hamstring. Injury history hardly suggests he's injury prone, just one unfortunate season: http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/siem-de- ... eler/45509" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Being injury prone doesn't necessarily mean that he's had to have injury problems for years and years. He is only 25. Problems can manifest themselves later on.

If he's out until the end of this year (which is looking likely), then that means he would have had a handful of appearances since November 2013, which is 13 months and possibly beyond. I'm not even including the collapsed lung in that as it's an internal issue and isn't necessarily related to being injury prone, but if we include that too, then it stretches to August 2013, which is 14/15 months.

Just look at the stats you posted:

Collapsed lung for 31 days
Unknown injury for 32 days (2 months later)
Thigh strain for 12 days (1 month later)
Hamstring for 45 days (1 month later)
Missed world cup due to injury (1 month later)
Thigh strain for 48+ days (3 appearances after he joined us)

It's 12-14 months of persistent injuries, and in multiple occasions he's barely played a few games before he gets injured again. It might just be bad luck, but it it's a concerning sign.
 ∧∧
(・ω・ )
uu_)~

Smudger
I'm a Star
I'm a Star

Post by Smudger » Wed Oct 22, 2014 1:33 pm

Injury prone players tend to get the same injury over and over because it hasnt healed properly in the first place though, and he's had several different injuries. Also, I'm pretty sure he didnt go to the world cup because he was still not 100% from the previous injury, not that he'd picked up a new one. And partly because he simply wasnt selected because there were better options.

It may be the case that he's developing a series of injuries because he is becoming injury prone, but I dont think it's fair to write him off when there's not enough evidence to prove it. Its still entirely possible that he's just having a bad spell.

Goat
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Post by Goat » Wed Oct 22, 2014 2:30 pm

Smudger wrote:Injury prone players tend to get the same injury over and over because it hasnt healed properly in the first place though, and he's had several different injuries.
Not really. Some players do have the same recurring problem, but others don't. Some are just inherently more fragile. Look at Saylor for example, who has had groin, calf, achilles tendon and hamstring injuries.
Also, I'm pretty sure he didnt go to the world cup because he was still not 100% from the previous injury, not that he'd picked up a new one. And partly because he simply wasnt selected because there were better options.
Well when he came to Newcastle he was already injured and missed the first few games of our season, so that's either from the injury which kept him out of the World Cup, or it's from an injury which happened after it during the summer break. Either way, he got injured again.
It may be the case that he's developing a series of injuries because he is becoming injury prone, but I dont think it's fair to write him off when there's not enough evidence to prove it. Its still entirely possible that he's just having a bad spell.
Perhaps my comment "we've bought a dud" was a little too definitive as I have no evidence that this is the case, but it concerns me that it is, that's all.
 ∧∧
(・ω・ )
uu_)~

Post by Guest » Wed Oct 22, 2014 3:02 pm

His injury problem is a cronut

davidbrown
Wilson's Loose Tooth

Post by davidbrown » Wed Oct 22, 2014 4:35 pm

What's the deal with this guy? Is he injury prone? I was really looking forward to seeing him play this season. He looks like a real leader and a strong and mature personality. I think our squad can look like a team of pussies without people like him -- god, we need tiote so much.

Remember Colo
Ancient Forum Relic
Ancient Forum Relic

Post by Remember Colo » Wed Oct 22, 2014 5:28 pm

Goat wrote:
Smudger wrote:Injury prone players tend to get the same injury over and over because it hasnt healed properly in the first place though, and he's had several different injuries.
Not really. Some players do have the same recurring problem, but others don't. Some are just inherently more fragile. Look at Saylor for example, who has had groin, calf, achilles tendon and hamstring injuries.
Also, I'm pretty sure he didnt go to the world cup because he was still not 100% from the previous injury, not that he'd picked up a new one. And partly because he simply wasnt selected because there were better options.
Well when he came to Newcastle he was already injured and missed the first few games of our season, so that's either from the injury which kept him out of the World Cup, or it's from an injury which happened after it during the summer break. Either way, he got injured again.
Perhaps my comment "we've bought a dud" was a little too definitive as I have no evidence that this is the case, but it concerns me that it is, that's all.
If I remember correctly he arrived healthy and played our first few pre-season matches before getting injured.

I will admit that he's a huge loss right now, and it looks like he won't reflect good value this season. But I don't think the price we paid for him is a reflection of injury proneness, but that he only had one season left, and because he was injured for much of last season there wasn't a strong market for him.

Goat
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Post by Goat » Wed Oct 22, 2014 5:56 pm

I'm over Colo wrote:
Goat wrote:

If I remember correctly he arrived healthy and played our first few pre-season matches before getting injured.

I will admit that he's a huge loss right now, and it looks like he won't reflect good value this season. But I don't think the price we paid for him is a reflection of injury proneness, but that he only had one season left, and because he was injured for much of last season there wasn't a strong market for him.
You may be right regarding the pre-season, which means that he got re-injured once again and it wasn't a continuation from the WC injury.

Clubs aren't psychic and they can't tell if a player is injury prone or whether it's just bad luck (look at Madrid buying Woodgate), but I do think that clubs can sell the player cheaper if they start to have growing concerns that he might be. I know the Dutch market is generally a fair bit cheaper, but £6mill seems unusually low. The guy was the young Ajax captain and an integral part of their team. Meanwhile, players like Blind and Vertonghen go for £13.8 and £12million respectively.

I'm not saying it's the entire factor, but it may be a contributing one.
 ∧∧
(・ω・ )
uu_)~

Toondes
f uck tha police
f uck tha police

Post by Toondes » Wed Oct 22, 2014 6:11 pm

So, is he injury prone or not?
# stolen from nufc.com :)

Dr. Bishop
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Post by Dr. Bishop » Wed Oct 22, 2014 6:27 pm

Toondes wrote:So, is he injury prone or not?
Poll time? <divax>
“I just got an erection. Oh, fear not. It’s nothing to do with your state of undress. I just simply need to urinate.”
Dr. Walter Bishop

Yacob
Laziness is for Pussies
Laziness is for Pussies

Post by Yacob » Wed Oct 22, 2014 8:12 pm

I don't think he's injury prone, just poorly managed throughout pre season and rushed back too quickly for Palace game.

beatski
England (Kane)
England (Kane)

Post by beatski » Wed Oct 22, 2014 10:49 pm

i seem to recall that pardew rushed him back, and then he was reinjured
(which has happened with pardew before <roll>)

bodacious benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by bodacious benny » Thu Oct 23, 2014 5:48 am

Beatski wrote:i seem to recall that pardew rushed him back, and then he was reinjured
(which has happened with pardew before <roll>)
<benny>
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?