TFI – Player Ratings vs Aston Villa – 23 Aug 14

Colback's Orange Tufts
USA USA USA (Pulisic)
USA USA USA (Pulisic)

TFI – Player Ratings vs Aston Villa – 23 Aug 14

Post by Colback's Orange Tufts » Sun Jan 18, 2015 4:43 pm

Some teams score no goals because they can't create chances, whereas others can't convert them. This TFI has both on show, Villa and Newcastle respectively. Pardon me for the brevity, if I spend too long writing about it I'll fall asleep.

We ask our forum members to rate each player’s performance in the concerned game out of 10, which we then average out to get a rating representative of the fans’ views, we also collect a few user comments to summarise how the player did and show a few different viewpoints from the board. The top scoring player is man of the match; the lowest is mug of the match. Ratings are from this thread http://www.toonforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6803" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Highlights, if you can call them that can, at time of writing, be found here - http://www.reddit.com/r/footballhighlig ... er_league/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Man of the match was Collocini, rating 6.12. Against a poor Villa attack with one exception (guess who) we defended well. Only a set piece and fortuitous ball drops gave Villa a sniff. Janmaat grew into the game second half. Cutting inside a curling a shot just wide was probably the best attempt we had. De Jong and Perez had bright sub appearances, with the latter cleverly teeing up the former, only to shoot straight at Guzan from a wide angle.

Mug of the match is Williamson with 4.90. Opinions are divided about his overall game, from 'always shaky' to 'headed everything clear'. Most will agree he accrued two of the clearest yellows you'll ever see, bad positioning or lack of pace ensuring he had to make a foul. As far as other bad things go, Cabella had a good chance but began to fall backwards and tamely shot. Pardew tried to let Cabella know he should loosen up, the result is the famous vine below.

Overall the team got as close to average average as one can expect 5.55, and even then the individual ratings were closely clustered. Pardew was marginally lower with 4.94 and a wide range of scores. His first team selection was not miles away from what users would have wanted. Some chose to blame the players not the manager for missed chances, some think his tactics breed a side that can't score goals. Right I'm bored now. Let's all forget this game, eh?
[tfi]140823[/tfi]
(You can click on player names to go to their pages)
Krul - 5.87 Ratings ranged between 5.5 and 6
"5.5 - Nowt to do all game."
"5.5 - Didn't have a single save to make. He tried less long balls this game, which was nice to see."
"6 - Nothing to do."

Janmaat - 5.90 Ratings ranged between 5.5 and 7
"6 - Started woefully but played so much in the second better half. Literally our only attacking threat."
"7 - Got forward well and created a good amount. Should have scored that header though."
"6 - Awful first half, great second half. His attacking play is excellent but defensively he's looked suspect so far. Probably our MOTM, although that's not saying much."

Williamson - 4.90 Ratings ranged between 3 and 6.5
"4 - I can't remember him not looking vulnerable once. At least he won't be in the next game."
"5 - I'm not going to fault him for the red card- he took one for the team and had we been 1-0 up he'd be a hero. I thought he did ok, struggled against the pace of Agbonlahor at times but that was to be expected."
"6 - Was again our best defender, winning most header and blocking and intercepting everything. 7 but for the red."

Coloccini - 6.12 Ratings ranged between 5 and 8
"6 - Keeps going out to get the ball, not doing so and leaving huge gaps."
"6 - Dealt well with the Villa attack. Not much wrong or standout about his performance."
"8 - Man of the match for me. He looked like his old self. A class act, always composed, always confident and always comfortable. Ran the show from the defence with some good passing from the back."

Dummett - 5.31 Ratings ranged between 4 and 7
"4 - Same as last week. Let too much slip past him and apart from one decent link up with Sissoko he only served to hinder our attacks."
"5 - N'Zogbia had him burned time and time again, but he improved as the game went on."
"7 - Both Villa's right wingers struggled today. Only struggled when Hutton doubled up on him. Still not great on the ball but played 2 brilliant balls to Cabella in dangerous areas and set up Ayoze."

Colback - 5.92 Ratings ranged between 5 and 7
"6 - Not as good as last week, under-par first half. But he's great at tracking runs, I remember 3 times he followed someone into out box and intercepted. <awe>"
"5.5 - Really like him, he is everywhere. Puts a great shift in for the team in every performance and keeps things simple when he's on the ball."
"7 - Got stuck in at the tackle and passed the ball really well. Another impressive game."

Anita - 5.63 Ratings ranged between 4 and 6.5
"5 - As much as I love him, he doesn't look the best at the moment, too many midfielders who are the same!"
"6.5 - Some good passes, could have made something happen on another day."
"4 - I thought he had a really poor game compared to his usual standards. Quite surprised that he has had a few decent ratings. His poor touch put us under pressure a couple times."

Gouffran - 5.02 Ratings ranged between 4 and 6
"5 - Just ran around again."
"4 - Didn't do a lot, gave us no width"
"6 - Hell of a lot better than last week, he worked hard to help Dummett track N'Zogbia."

Sissoko - 4.94 Ratings ranged between 3 and 7
"7 - Played quite well, was missed going forward when Anita went off."
"3 - Donkey. 2 or 3 flashy moments coupled with 89 minutes of pure rubbish."
"4 - Totally disinterested if he doesn't have the ball, his off the ball movement is horrendous. Far too many times he just stood around as Villa players cantered past him, he looks knackered."

Cabella - 5.56 Ratings ranged between 4 and 8
"4 - Poor. Step overs galore but no end product. Missed a great chance. Hits the deck too often, needs to toughen up."
"6.5 - Not the best first half, but great second half, looks creative. Hopefully he'll look even be better with De Jong starting."
"5 - Gave the ball away far too often in the first half and his tracking back was on par with Ben Arfa's. Second half he was much more threatening but he's going to have the same problem Ben Arfa had - no one gets in space for him so he's forced to go alone, lose the ball and then everyone will turn on him."

Rivière - 5.26 Ratings ranged between 4 and 7
"5 - Constantly changed from feeling bad for him to feeling for his team mates. The service to him was awful but then when he was giving the ball he didn't exactly instill much confidence for the midfielders to play him in again."
"6 - Has a lot to his game. Needs to add goals."
"5.5 - Thought he worked hard and never gave up. Did an OK job holding the ball up against the biggest 2 CBs in the league. Feel for him because he hasn't had any service as of yet but still keeps going and making those runs in behind."

de Jong - 5.90 Ratings ranged between 5 and 7
"6 - Missed a chance, but made 2 key defensive headers and always made himself available for the ball."
"5.5 - Had one chance but didn't do much else."
"7 - Looked lively when came on, great shot, unlucky not to score. At the moment, think he'll be our top scorer."

Pérez - 5.76 Ratings ranged between 5 and 7
"6 - He's not ready just yet but we're making it harder for him by making him compete for aerial balls with the likes of Vlaar."
"6 - This kid looks sharp. Great touch to set up De Jong. Cue him banished to the reserves in the next few weeks for having the audacity to show potential. "
"5.5 - Created a great chance moments after coming on. Didn't really get a proper run out though."

Taylor - N/A
N/A

Pardew - 4.94 Ratings ranged between 3 and 7
"7 - He left Aarons out of the squad but apart from that not much he could do. De Jong wasn't fit."

"3 - No Aarons, Sissoko, Gouffran and Colback stayed on the pitch for 90 minutes, no ideas in the final third, the Williamson routine, hoof ball."

"4.5 - Really disappointing how ponderous we were in possession. Everytime we won the ball back we let Villa get back into their shape before mounting an attack. Having said that we were still the better team and had plenty of chances to win the game."

"5 - Hard to be too harsh as we created more than enough chances to win the game today but you can still see his negative little influences all over the pitch. A more attack minded manager and you feel we'd have won the game today."

"6.5 - We had plenty of chances to score and Villa didn't, not his fault if the players lack a clinical finish. We dominated the second half. Subbing of Perez though. <urgh>"

"3 - This absolute arsehole will be buzzing with a point at Aston Villa. No attacking threat, we buy attacking players and he doesn't set us up to win a football match. Even against City I never really felt we'd score. Need a new manager ASAP."
Sharing articles no-one reads since 2012