No
10%

Total votes: 51

Goat
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Should McClaren be sacked now?

Post by Goat » Sun Feb 14, 2016 11:45 am

Personally, I'm going for yes. I've wanted to give this guy a long opportunity to sort the team out, but it's now simply too much of a risk. It's becoming less about punishing McClaren for being poor, and more about taking the last roll of the dice, while we've still got the chance, to find someone who might get this team playing well enough to avoid relegation.

I'm still not sure to which degree either the team or the manager is responsible for this. We could have been so unlucky to sign a group of players where almost every single one of them doesn't have a spine and collapses at the first sign of trouble, but the odds of that seem unlikely. All I do know is that the only thing we can change at this stage is the manager.

I just don't think we can afford to wait any longer now. This team is grossly under-performing in terms of its quality. It's as simple as that.
Last edited by Goat on Sun Feb 14, 2016 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 ∧∧
(・ω・ )
uu_)~

jpg
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Re: Should McClaren be sacked?

Post by jpg » Sun Feb 14, 2016 11:57 am

100% Yes. I don't see how anyone could vote otherwise. Our defence is poor but even so he's vastly underachieving with the rest of the squad.

TJR
Mexico (Jiménez)
Mexico (Jiménez)

Post by TJR » Sun Feb 14, 2016 12:04 pm

Yes. He's completely out of his depth. Which is no surprise considering he failed in his last job which was in the Championship.

We need to sack Charnley as well though otherwise he'll just appoint another site manager as McClarebs replacement. So far he's appointed Carver and McClaren, two of the worst managerial appointments possible.

Heisen
Stallsenberg
Stallsenberg

Post by Heisen » Sun Feb 14, 2016 12:07 pm

100%. I have nothing against McClaren as a bloke but as a manager he is way out of his depth. When your current manager makes you start to wish you had Alan Pardew in charge, you know it's bad.

Goat
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Post by Goat » Sun Feb 14, 2016 12:08 pm

Juliet Papa Golf wrote:100% Yes. I don't see how anyone could vote otherwise. Our defence is poor but even so he's vastly underachieving with the rest of the squad.
I've rephrased the question to whether McClaren should be sacked now. Wasn't sure if a few people might still be in the "give him another game or two" camp.

Probably still be a landslide towards yes though.
 ∧∧
(・ω・ )
uu_)~

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Re: Should McClaren be sacked now?

Post by Bodacious Benny » Sun Feb 14, 2016 12:09 pm

Yes. Was sacked for failing in the Championship and he's continued that here. Clearly not motivating the players enough. Problem is, there's nobody immediately obvious to come in other than Moyes.

I think we're down if we don't change, so we've got nothing to lose.
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

The Deluded Pablo Diego Jose Francisco
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Post by The Deluded Pablo Diego Jose Francisco » Sun Feb 14, 2016 12:13 pm

Yes. He was never going to succeed here, the job is too big for him and he's useless under pressure.

Double Agent Bruce a.k.a DAB
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by Double Agent Bruce a.k.a DAB » Sun Feb 14, 2016 12:37 pm

Yes, he should be sacked, but imo it's far too late. The mentality of the players is down the drain now, and there's no time to turn it. For me the best time for sack the manager is end of November. By then already the picture starts to clear, and when the new manager came, he will have one month to asset the players and to know what kind of reinforcements the team needs in January. I can't see how "new manager syndrome" can brings us 6 wins out of 12 games. Not to mention the fact, that this syndrome missing at Newcastle.

Since obviously the enormous backing on the transfer market for McClaren, and after our transfer policy is changed since McClaren's arrival, I'm almost certain that apart from Charnley, McClaren also didn't saw our problem in the defence, because if he notice it, we would buy some defenders.

Goat
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Post by Goat » Sun Feb 14, 2016 12:58 pm

Johnny from the block wrote:Yes, he should be sacked, but imo it's far too late. The mentality of the players is down the drain now, and there's no time to turn it. For me the best time for sack the manager is end of November. By then already the picture starts to clear, and when the new manager came, he will have one month to asset the players and to know what kind of reinforcements the team needs in January. I can't see how "new manager syndrome" can brings us 6 wins out of 12 games. Not to mention the fact, that this syndrome missing at Newcastle.

Since obviously the enormous backing on the transfer market for McClaren, and after our transfer policy is changed since McClaren's arrival, I'm almost certain that apart from Charnley, McClaren also didn't saw our problem in the defence, because if he notice it, we would buy some defenders.
According to McClaren, they put in bids for 5 or 6 defenders but couldn't get anyone "over the line".

Whether that's true or not is a different story, of course.
 ∧∧
(・ω・ )
uu_)~

Double Agent Bruce a.k.a DAB
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by Double Agent Bruce a.k.a DAB » Sun Feb 14, 2016 1:08 pm

Sounds more like trying to put the hurricane of s*** which was upon them, under some kind of control. As far as I know, they made offers for Enrique and Oviedo, but that was in the last two days of the transfer window.

Colback's Orange Tufts
USA USA USA (Pulisic)
USA USA USA (Pulisic)

Post by Colback's Orange Tufts » Sun Feb 14, 2016 1:44 pm

Yes and consequently Charnley should go, he was adamant McClaren would deliver a better season
Sharing articles no-one reads since 2012

Goat
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Post by Goat » Sun Feb 14, 2016 2:21 pm

Are we actually doing worse this season compared to last?

I can't remember being in the relegation places for such a large amount of time. I'm sure we spent a fair bit of last season just hovering above it.
 ∧∧
(・ω・ )
uu_)~

Colly
Belgium (Lukaku)
Belgium (Lukaku)

Post by Colly » Sun Feb 14, 2016 2:31 pm

Goat wrote:Are we actually doing worse this season compared to last?

I can't remember being in the relegation places for such a large amount of time. I'm sure we spent a fair bit of last season just hovering above it.
We were hit and miss but we were alright until Pardew went. It's only in the second half of the season that we started toying with relegation, I still don't blame the board for not getting a replacement in then as I don't think anyone could predict quite how monumentally bad Carver could be.

TBC
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by TBC » Sun Feb 14, 2016 2:38 pm

Yes, and tbh I'm surprised we appear to be willing to gamble all of the riches that will come with being in the PL next season on McClaren being able to turn this around. I know we don't sack managers these days but surely if there's anything that would make Ashley pull the trigger it's the thought of losing money.

ALF
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies

Post by ALF » Sun Feb 14, 2016 2:53 pm

He spent £24m on s****, can't get the team playing, is scared to make big calls and doesn't seem to be taking the situation seriously. He needs to go and take Coloccini with him.

Micky Quim
PSA Chairman
PSA Chairman

Post by Micky Quim » Sun Feb 14, 2016 3:31 pm

Id probably give him one more game after this break to see if he can get the new players working together. But if we lose again then f*** him off

Duke
You Sunk My Battleship
You Sunk My Battleship

Post by Duke » Sun Feb 14, 2016 3:47 pm

Nah. Who else are we going to get in at this stage? It's too much of a risk.
I dunno

The Deluded Pablo Diego Jose Francisco
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Post by The Deluded Pablo Diego Jose Francisco » Sun Feb 14, 2016 3:49 pm

Duke wrote:Nah. Who else are we going to get in at this stage? It's too much of a risk.
I think Moyes would be the only option, given the fact that he's British and available.

TJR
Mexico (Jiménez)
Mexico (Jiménez)

Post by TJR » Sun Feb 14, 2016 3:49 pm

Micky Quim wrote:Id probably give him one more game after this break to see if he can get the new players working together. But if we lose again then f*** him off
Surely this break would be the best time though. Gives us a few days to get a new manager in and then the new manager will have a week and a bit to work with the squad before our next game.

MultipleJesuses
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by MultipleJesuses » Sun Feb 14, 2016 3:56 pm

ALF wrote:He spent £24m on s****, can't get the team playing, is scared to make big calls and doesn't seem to be taking the situation seriously. He needs to go and take Coloccini with him.
Agree with everything but the bolded. Shelvey improves us massively when things are good. Jury is still out on Townsend but he's better than Thauvin, Gouffran, Obertan and/or playing Perez/Gini out of position.
Don't hinder the Trinder