58%

Total votes: 38

TJR
Mexico (Jiménez)
Mexico (Jiménez)

Newcastle Utd vs Bournemouth - 05/03/16

Post by TJR » Sat Mar 05, 2016 12:58 am

Preview:
A traditional 3pm Saturday kick off sees Newcastle United playing host to Bournemouth in the latest installment of the 15/16 Premier League season. This is the second meeting of the two sides this season, the previous being a 1-0 win for Newcastle United at the Vitality Stadium down on the South Coast back in November. Ayoze Perez got the goal for Newcastle United that day though it is probably fair to say Bournemouth were unlucky not to have got anything from that game, largely down to some fantastic goalkeeping from Rob Elliot.
The 1-0 win at Bournemouth in November was the magpies first victory on the road this season. Fast forward to March and the number of away wins for Newcastle is only two for the season. In fact Newcastle have played 14 away games so far this season, winning 2, drawing 1 and losing 11. Totalling just 7 points from a possible 42, scoring just 7 goals and conceding 32 goals in the process. As shocking as those statistics are Steve McClaren will be thankful that this fixture is at St James' Park and not away from home. Although still poor, Newcastle's home record is a lot better than the away record. Played 13, won 4, drew 5 and lost 4. Totalling 17 points out of 39 with 20 goals scored and 18 goals conceded. Bournemouth's home form is identical to their away form. They've played 14 games, winning 4, drawing 4 and losing 6 both home and away.
All of that means Newcastle find themselves in 19th place with 24 points while Bournemouth are 8 points ahead in 15th place with 32 points. The highest place Newcastle can end the weekend in is 17th, just outside the relegation zone. This would require Norwich and Sunderland failing to win in their fixtures. Bournemouth can potentially move up one place to 14th, overtaking Alan Pardew's Crystal Palace side should Bournemouth win and Pardew's 11 game winless run extend to 12.
It's starting to look like the sides from 13th and above will be safe. Leaving the bottom seven of Crystal Palace, Bournemouth, Swansea, Sunderland, Norwich, Newcastle and Aston Villa left in the relegation scrap. If you want a relegation six pointer you just have to look at Newcastle United's fixture list. Starting with this game against Bournemouth they play all of the other six sides in the bottom seven before May putting survival very much so in their own hands. Another game of interest this weekend is Swansea v Norwich, with a draw probably being the best result for the Toon. A Norwich win would see United remain in the bottom three regardless of their result and a win for Swansea would see them generate a bit of breathing space from the drop zone. It should be noted that Newcastle have a game in hand over all of their relegation rivals, however this is against Manchester City so unlikely to result in an addition to the points tally.
Bournemouth should be in high spirits heading into this fixture having just turned over Southampton in the South coast derby midweek. For Newcastle meanwhile it was the all too familiar despair of yet another defeat during the week. The latest at the hands of Stoke. In terms of recent form heading into this game, Bournemouth have won 2, drew 2 and lost 2 of their last 6. Newcastle meanwhile have won 2 and lost 4.
This game will see Dan Gosling make his return to St James' Park. The former magpie was at most a bit part player for United, featuring just 24 times in almost 4 years on Tyneside. Though injuries did play a big par in his lack of game time. Gosling scored once for Newcastle in those 24 games and so far he has managed 2 goals for Bournemouth in 33 appearances. Gosling will no doubt be looking to show off his attacking threat in this fixture.

Team news:
Newcastle United:
Tim Krul, Ivan Toney, Papiss Cisse, Gabriel Obertan, Massadio Haidara, Chancel Mbemba, Fabricio Coloccini, Kevin Mbabu, Curtis Good and Sylvain Marveaux will miss out through injury. Cheick Tiote and Andros Townsend are doubtful and will face late fitness tests. Meanwhile Vurnon Anita and Siem De Jong have returned from injury and got some match time under their belts in a behind closed doors friendly for the U21 team on Wednesday. Mirroring the excellent form of the senior side, the U21 team recorded a 3-1 loss against Hartlepool reserves. Jack Colback is one yellow card away from a two game ban. If he was to pick up a booking he'd miss both the trip to the Premier League leaders and the Tyne Wear derby.
Bournemouth:
Callum Wilson, Tyrone Mings and Junior Stanislas will miss out through injury. Joshua King and Harry Arter are doubtful.

Possible lineups:
Newcastle Utd:
<elliot>
<janmaat> <taylor> <lascelles> <dummett>
<shelvey> <colback>
<sissoko> <wijnaldum> <gouffran>
<mitrovic>
Having been impressed with his team's performance against Stoke (I don't know how) McClaren could very well name an unchanged side. He'll also likely persist with this formation, tactical setup and game plan that has seen Newcastle fall to 19th in the Premier League. If it was up to me I'd probably go back to basics, match Bournemouth's 4-4-2 formation, play with two proper wingers and get crosses into the box for our centre forwards.

Bournemouth:
Boruc
Smith - Francis - Cook - Daniels
Ritchie - Gosling - Surman - Gradel
Afobe - Grabban
A word from the gaffers:
Steve McClaren:
Steve McClaren wrote:We asked for a reaction after the Chelsea game and at Stoke it's fine margins," McClaren said. "We asked for spirit and fight and for them to stay in the game for 95 minutes, and they did that. But for a fantastic save from Jack Butland we'd have got a very good draw and something to build on. It obviously piles the pressure on that we didn't get that result, but honestly the main focus is Bournemouth. A lot of people questioned the players as well - did they know the situation? I think we saw from the performance on Wednesday that yes, they do. I know that from the training field and the dressing room. We know the predicament we're in, only we can get out of it. We said we were in a fight which started on Wednesday - we continue it on Saturday.

Absolutely [my players back me]. We’ve got the talent and we showed the character on Wednesday. I don’t read stories. My only focus is Bournemouth. Every game is a must-win game now. We need results. There’s a long way to go. In the home games fans have been terrific. We aim to win it tomorrow, it’s about fine margins. There’s a long way to go at the bottom. Results can change momentum. It is a results business. I know that. We need to stay in this league. We don't want anything to destabilise what we are trying to achieve between now and the end of the season.
The main talking point from McClaren's press conference was when he lost it completely and launched an angry attack at journalist Craig Hope. Hope responded very well to the attack, delivering some home truths to McClaren. Below is the full exchange:
Steve McClaren: I've heard there have been one or two articles - probably one main article – and as I say, I don't read it. It doesn't help me win football matches and my concentration and focus are purely on Bournemouth and winning that game tomorrow. Someone told me about it, and unfortunately it's done, obviously, by a journalist who for the last 18 months has written nothing but negative things about Newcastle, a journalist who used to work at this football club and who four or five years ago (six), was released from this club. Whatever that journalist writes, I'm afraid I don't read it.

Craig Hope: Steve, don’t you dare accuse me of having an agenda. You’re second bottom in the league. I’m not the problem.

Press officer: You can have your say later.

Craig Hope: No. This is a new one, Steve – is this your latest excuse? It’s a new one, I’ll give you that. I’m not the problem Steve, you’re the problem. Not me. Don’t you dare suggest I’ve got an agenda against you. Walk away Steve, smiling, grinning again. He’s been out of his depth since the minute he walked in.
Eddie Howe:
Eddie Howe wrote:Eight points is not enough. We are well aware that fortunes can change. Last week it was four points and now it is eight, but it can change the other way very quickly if you don't perform yourself. We need to take care of our business. Newcastle is another massive game in our season. With 10 games to go I think every game takes on huge significance because you are running out of games to get the points you need. Plus the fact that in the next two we are playing teams around us. These next two games, added to the next eight, are going to define our season.

I have watched several games in preparation and they [Newcastle] have performed well. The West Brom game [1-0 win on February 6] was a particular highlight where they were excellent, I felt. Their crowd will certainly get behind them and they have good players, a lot of international players with vast experience, so we do not underestimate the size of our task. If they get their game right, then it will be a tough game for us to win, but we have seen when we perform at our very best level, then we are also a very tough team to beat.
Referee:
Paul Tierney:
A St James' Park debut for referee Paul Tierney. The inexperienced Premier League official has never took charge of a Newcastle game before. This will be only the fifth occasion he has whistled a Premier League encounter. He will however have support from fourth official Martin Atkinson, the veteran Premier League official.
Expert opinion:
Lawro:
Mark Lawrenson wrote:This has turned into a massive game for Newcastle, who desperately need a win. The Magpies are second bottom, eight points behind Bournemouth, and it is already looking like three of the current bottom four will be the teams going down. Newcastle 2-1 Bournemouth.
Prediction:
McClaren seems to genuinely believe that our performance on Wednesday night was not only acceptable but good. That leaves me to conclude that he's deluded. We were awful yet again and I don't see that ever changing if McClaren is telling the players that sort of display is acceptable. I also think McClaren will bottle it with the tactics and once again fail to go with two up front. There has been a lot of speculation regarding McClaren's future in the past few days with strong rumours that he could be sent packing should Bournemouth win this game.

Steve McClaren has got Newcastle playing dreadful negative football and vastly underachieving given the resources while Eddie Howe has Bournemouth playing attractive positive football and punching above their weight. Bournemouth come into this on the back of a great win against Southampton, confidence should be high and they will be aware that a win would go a long way towards reaching that sought after 40 point mark.

McClaren has shown throughout the season he's lost the plot when it comes to team selection, formations, tactics and game plans. He also went off the boil in his press conference. The pressure seems to be getting to him and although he's looked out of his depth all season it appears now he's almost drown.

I predict Bournemouth will put the final nail in McClaren's coffin and edge Newcastle United ever so closer to elimination from the top tier of English football. Newcastle United 1-2 Bournemouth. Wijnaldum, Afobe and Gosling with the goals. I hope I'm wrong.

Coverage:
Tickets:
At the time of writing (Friday afternoon) there are still tickets on sale. There is availability in all areas of St James' Park apart from level 7. Tickets can be purchased up until kick off and it is highly unlikely that the game will come anywhere close to being a sell out. The cheapest remaining tickets are £30 for adults, £15 for juniors, £24 for seniors and £17 for young persons. So no value for money even with the cheapest tickets. The only sold out area of St James' Park will be the Bournemouth end. They have took and sold out the full 3,100 allocation and have used their PL Away Fans Fund to reduce prices. They paid £18 for adults, £8 for seniors and students and £1 for U16s. They have also provided there fans with subsidised coach travel costing just £25. All of this in addition to offering better football than Newcastle United means there is a lot more value for for a Bournemouth fan attending this game.
UK TV:
The game is a traditional Saturday 3pm kick off meaning no live TV coverage in the UK.
Overseas TV:
Astro SuperSport 2 (Malaysia)
Canal+ Sport Online (Poland)
CTH Stadium 1 HD (Thailand)
DIRECTV Deportes
Foxtel Play (Australia)
Go Sport 4 (Malta)
NBC Sports Live Extra (USA)
Now Sports 3 (Hong Kong)
Orange TV (Indonesia)
PremierLeaguePass (NZ)
QQ Sports Live (China)
Sky Mexico
Sportsnet 1 (Canada)
SPS HD (Mongolia)
(Overseas TV coverage from nufc.com)
UK Radio:
Absolute Radio
Local Radio:
BBC Newcastle (Locals can tune in on their radio. Those outside the region can listen via this link http://tunein.com/radio/BBC-Newcastle-954-s18219/)
Highlights:
MOTD - BBC 1 - 22:20
HOWAY THE LADS!

PFT
Avoids Death. Until it Matters.

Re: Preview: Newcastle Utd vs Bournemouth - 05/03/16

Post by PFT » Sat Mar 05, 2016 1:17 am

If Gouffran starts again he should be sacked before kickoff.
formerly known as Bigi Bigi Bigi Can't You See & IMTE

bodacious benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by bodacious benny » Sat Mar 05, 2016 1:20 am

Anyone at the match on Wednesday will tell you that we were dire. Whilst Stoke had very few chances, we created virtually nothing.

I'm hoping our recent okay home from (wins against WBA and West Ham) will be repeated.

1-0 win (to us...).
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

PFT

Post by PFT » Sat Mar 05, 2016 2:11 am

I really hope Townsend is fit. None of us deserve to watch Gouffran play.
formerly known as Bigi Bigi Bigi Can't You See & IMTE

Double Agent Bruce a.k.a DAB
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by Double Agent Bruce a.k.a DAB » Sat Mar 05, 2016 7:20 am

This is the twelfth must win for this season. Must be some kind of a record. And finally there's a poll.

Heisen
Stallsenberg
Stallsenberg

Post by Heisen » Sat Mar 05, 2016 8:42 am

I think we'll edge it but if Bournemouth win, Norwich and Sunderland fail to win and McClaren gets sacked, we may come out of this weekend ok.

Bournemouth win and Norwich and Sunderland wins though and it's Goodnight Vienna.

Micky Quim
PSA Chairman
PSA Chairman

Post by Micky Quim » Sat Mar 05, 2016 8:47 am

I honestly think we will lose. The team are devoid of confidence and ideas

Partizan FC
Tindall's Hoody

Post by Partizan FC » Sat Mar 05, 2016 9:31 am

Easy win,Mitrovic will score twice.Greetings from Serbia

Jaiston
Undercover
Undercover

Post by Jaiston » Sat Mar 05, 2016 10:10 am

Cannot see us winning, final nail in the coffin.

MultipleJesuses
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by MultipleJesuses » Sat Mar 05, 2016 10:37 am

We'll win this one. Whatever t*** we have in charge always manages to pull off a win when his job has been threatened.
Don't hinder the Trinder

Chappy
10 Champs Silver
10 Champs Silver

Post by Chappy » Sat Mar 05, 2016 10:48 am

Today our relegation will be confirmed.

We'll lose, Norwich will lose and so will Villa. Mackems will scrape a point in last 10 mins.
It’s the noise, the passion, the feeling of belonging, the pride in your city.

Toondes
f uck tha police
f uck tha police

Post by Toondes » Sat Mar 05, 2016 10:51 am

Shearer didn't
# stolen from nufc.com :)

MultipleJesuses
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by MultipleJesuses » Sat Mar 05, 2016 11:18 am

Toondes wrote:Shearer didn't
<laugh> fair point
Don't hinder the Trinder

Andy the German mag
Wilson's Loose Tooth

Post by Andy the German mag » Sat Mar 05, 2016 11:20 am

What a match for my first time at SJP <laugh>

Feel free to say hello if you meet me everybody, I'm the dark haired German lad wearing a 13/14 home shirt with Cissé printing. <gent>

bodacious benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by bodacious benny » Sat Mar 05, 2016 11:22 am

Enjoy the match, hopefully we can get an early goal else it'll be a nervy affair.
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

Toondes
f uck tha police
f uck tha police

Post by Toondes » Sat Mar 05, 2016 11:29 am

MultipleJesuses wrote:
Toondes wrote:Shearer didn't
<laugh> fair point
Wonder if he'll ever have another go at management ?

Toondes
f uck tha police
f uck tha police

Post by Toondes » Sat Mar 05, 2016 11:31 am

Andy the German lad wrote:What a match for my first time at SJP <laugh>

Feel free to say hello if you meet me everybody, I'm the dark haired German lad wearing a 13/14 home shirt with Cissé printing. <gent>
Guten tag, wie gehts?
I actually didn't realise you were German, I thought you just lived there. Ex forces or something haha.

TJR
Mexico (Jiménez)
Mexico (Jiménez)

Post by TJR » Sat Mar 05, 2016 11:32 am

If the rumours about McClaren getting sacked if we lose are true then getting beat will probably be better for our survival chances as crazy as that sounds. We're going down regardless of today's result if McClaren remains in charge whereas at least a new manager would offer us a glimmer of hope. Knowing us though we'll probably get beat and just keep McClaren anyway.

Heisen
Stallsenberg
Stallsenberg

Post by Heisen » Sat Mar 05, 2016 11:45 am

TJR wrote:If the rumours about McClaren getting sacked if we lose are true then getting beat will probably be better for our survival chances as crazy as that sounds. We're going down regardless of today's result if McClaren remains in charge whereas at least a new manager would offer us a glimmer of hope. Knowing us though we'll probably get beat and just keep McClaren anyway.
I'd accept defeat today if Norwich and Sunderland lose aswell and McClaren gets sacked. That's arguably more preferable to us winning and that useless tosser keeping his job.

UlversToon
Argentina (Messi)
Argentina (Messi)

Post by UlversToon » Sat Mar 05, 2016 11:56 am

Not even had a drink yet but 3-1 Toon!

Defeat today doesn't bear thinking about - can't see McClown getting sacked any time soon by the other incompetents running this club!