Toons Transfer window ao far...

Charles N'Zomnia
Wood's Touch

Toons Transfer window ao far...

Post by Charles N'Zomnia » Thu Jan 26, 2017 4:43 pm

When we hit the bad run of form we did I was looking to the January transfer window to possibly give the team a lift with fresh faces and fresh legs. So far this January transfer window has not been what I was expecting.

I know Rafa will not just buy anyone and the majority of his work this window has been focused on bringing Townsend back but surely when we hit that bad run of form was due to Shelvey not appearing and yet no mention or speculation regarding a CM. This worries me as neither Colback or Tiote should be anywhere near that starting XI.

I'm hoping we at least get one signing in before the window closes in 5 days but I'm not banking on it.

I guess I'm not the only one who has been disappointed so far either!

originallad
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Re: Toons Transfer window ao far...

Post by originallad » Thu Jan 26, 2017 5:21 pm

We definitely need cover for Shelvey. And I'd like to see another winger. If we get that I'd be very happy.

ALF
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies

Post by ALF » Thu Jan 26, 2017 5:42 pm

I don't blame us for not signing anyone. £20m for Tom Cairney. The prices being talked about are ridiculous. We don't desperately need anyone, if Shelvey gets injured we just need to tweak our tactics. Mbemba is showing himself as a good midfielder too.

cbrad NUFC
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Post by cbrad NUFC » Thu Jan 26, 2017 6:09 pm

Right players aren't out there, are cost too much. People talking about us signing this Barrow lad, if that the calibre of player available then keep what we've got.

MultipleJesuses
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by MultipleJesuses » Thu Jan 26, 2017 6:40 pm

ALF wrote:I don't blame us for not signing anyone. £20m for Tom Cairney. The prices being talked about are ridiculous. We don't desperately need anyone, if Shelvey gets injured we just need to tweak our tactics. Mbemba is showing himself as a good midfielder too.
Absolutely this. No point in panic buying and overspending on a Championship player. Only thing that worries me is Shelvey being out again, but like you said about Mbemba and we have Diame coming back as well. We'll be fine.
Don't hinder the Trinder

Colly
Belgium (Lukaku)
Belgium (Lukaku)

Post by Colly » Thu Jan 26, 2017 6:46 pm

Feels quiet all round, can't remember many big signings this window. Jose Fonte. Wow.

Remember Colo
Ancient Forum Relic
Ancient Forum Relic

Post by Remember Colo » Thu Jan 26, 2017 6:53 pm

I sure wish we could develop a CM from the academy too. I know we generally haven't had a lot of great players break through to the senior team, but those that have, or even have at least excelled for the youth national teams have been forwards, defenders and keepers. Who was the last central midfielder to even come close to breaking through?

Heisen
Stallsenberg
Stallsenberg

Post by Heisen » Thu Jan 26, 2017 7:44 pm

Not that disappointed as it's not like everyone else has been strengthening around us while we've wilted. I'd like a new CM certainly but to be honest I've seen absolutely nothing to suggest that we won't go up automatically with the squad we've got, probably with a good few games to spare. The fees being bandied about for some players are terrifying, I don't blame the club one bit for not strengthening. Rather that than saddle the squad with a few more Championship standard players when in all likelihood they won't be needed in 4 months time.

Toondes
f uck tha police
f uck tha police

Post by Toondes » Thu Jan 26, 2017 7:56 pm

I always thought deep down this window would be quiet for us. Nobody wants to sell half way through a season and I dont think we need to panic buy either. This squad is good enough to get promoted. I think we looked worse during Shelvey's absence as we had played at Afcon as well. If Diame had of been here he would of covered for Jonjo.
# stolen from nufc.com :)

ALF
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies

Post by ALF » Thu Jan 26, 2017 10:00 pm

I'm over Colo wrote:I sure wish we could develop a CM from the academy too. I know we generally haven't had a lot of great players break through to the senior team, but those that have, or even have at least excelled for the youth national teams have been forwards, defenders and keepers. Who was the last central midfielder to even come close to breaking through?
Didn't Barlaser play CM against Birmingham?

Remember Colo
Ancient Forum Relic
Ancient Forum Relic

Post by Remember Colo » Thu Jan 26, 2017 10:03 pm

ALF wrote:
I'm over Colo wrote:I sure wish we could develop a CM from the academy too. I know we generally haven't had a lot of great players break through to the senior team, but those that have, or even have at least excelled for the youth national teams have been forwards, defenders and keepers. Who was the last central midfielder to even come close to breaking through?
And it could be that he becomes the first - which would deserve full credit. But he does seem to be the first in ages!

TJR
Mexico (Jiménez)
Mexico (Jiménez)

Post by TJR » Thu Jan 26, 2017 10:09 pm

ALF wrote:
Yeah and he did well. His inexperience was evident at times but thats to be expected. On the whole he played well and showed that he has potential. I'd certainly start him over Colback.

ALF
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies

Post by ALF » Thu Jan 26, 2017 11:22 pm

I'm over Colo wrote:
ALF wrote:
And it could be that he becomes the first - which would deserve full credit. But he does seem to be the first in ages!
Yeah not saying he'll break through, but maybe Rafa was just checking out another option there. Might see him play more if Shelvey is out again. Also might be why Sammy came on ahead of him.

Duke
You Sunk My Battleship
You Sunk My Battleship

Post by Duke » Thu Jan 26, 2017 11:40 pm

Brad Inman went on loan to Crewe and did really well but we sold him to them immediately after his loan was up. That's about as close as we've got which is pathetic
I dunno

Bruuuuuuuuce ()
Tribal Elder
Tribal Elder

Post by Bruuuuuuuuce () » Fri Jan 27, 2017 12:13 am

Probably Lee Clark :|

Toondes
f uck tha police
f uck tha police

Post by Toondes » Fri Jan 27, 2017 9:01 am

Luque wrote:
My mate Jamie McClen nearly made it . Haha

Bruuuuuuuuce ()
Tribal Elder
Tribal Elder

Post by Bruuuuuuuuce () » Fri Jan 27, 2017 9:26 am

Toondes wrote:
Luque wrote:
I originally had put Jamie McClen in my post but wasn't sure whether his 14 apps would count. He had a decent game against Stoke in the FA Cup, iirc.

Toondes
f uck tha police
f uck tha police

Post by Toondes » Fri Jan 27, 2017 9:31 am

Luque wrote:
Toondes wrote: My mate Jamie McClen nearly made it . Haha
I originally had put Jamie McClen in my post but wasn't sure whether his 14 apps would count. He had a decent game against Stoke in the FA Cup, iirc.
hes 37 now. Crazy how fast time goes

bodacious benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by bodacious benny » Fri Jan 27, 2017 12:40 pm

Toondes wrote:
Luque wrote:
i remember him playing in a home match against someone like Ipswich. Seem to recall he got mugged about 50 yards from goal and they scored as a result <laugh>
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?