Ashley speaks

Mifune
Homeless Spunky Slut
Homeless Spunky Slut

Re: Ashley speaks

Post by Mifune » Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:14 pm

Bodacious Benny wrote:
gawalls wrote:
I agree, Hanley for example signed a 5 year deal and helped us gain promotion so he's perfectly entitled to remain and fight for his place but also from Ashleys perspective if we sign 3 more players Rafa wants then that's around 5 players collecting wages that cant even be registered so he is entitled as well to say enough - sort this mess out first.
We did make some strange moves last season. Hanley being one of them seen as we had Lascelles, Mbemba and Clark who could all play CB, and Dummett as perfectly decent 4th choice CB if needed. Not sure that a 4th CB was required but hindsight is an exact science.
Rafa is a world class manager but he has always been very hit and miss with transfers. Even at Liverpool he made some strange decisions such as pretty much forcing Alonso out of the club because he wanted Barry.

Remember Colo
Ancient Forum Relic
Ancient Forum Relic

Post by Remember Colo » Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:34 pm

Toondes wrote:
I'm over Colo wrote: I'd hardly call football club ownership a minimal cost <scratch>
It is the way he's running it
I'm sure from a money-making perspective he'd prefer to have spent several hundred million pounds on something more profitable and less dramatic.

ALF
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies

Post by ALF » Mon Aug 21, 2017 11:45 pm

Toondes wrote:
I'm over Colo wrote: I'd hardly call football club ownership a minimal cost <scratch>
It is the way he's running it
You say that but if Colback is on £70k a week then it's definitely not minimal cost!

Deleted User

Post by Deleted User » Tue Aug 22, 2017 5:36 am

Mifune wrote:
Bodacious Benny wrote:
We did make some strange moves last season. Hanley being one of them seen as we had Lascelles, Mbemba and Clark who could all play CB, and Dummett as perfectly decent 4th choice CB if needed. Not sure that a 4th CB was required but hindsight is an exact science.
Rafa is a world class manager but he has always been very hit and miss with transfers. Even at Liverpool he made some strange decisions such as pretty much forcing Alonso out of the club because he wanted Barry.
The day he took the job a few of my Liverpool supporting friends said to me "he'll get you results but you'll hate his transfer dealings because he's not that good overall the transfer market" for whatever their opinions with.

Holystone...
Grammer Police Chef
Grammer Police Chef

Post by Holystone... » Tue Aug 22, 2017 8:47 am

This from Liverpool fans who should be eternally grateful he bought Torres and Alonso in their pomp .
Ashley tells you it's raining. Do you look out the window?

bodacious benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by bodacious benny » Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:05 am

Yeah Rafa is no stranger to a dodgy transfer that's for sure, but he can snare gems when given the funds.
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

Double Agent Bruce a.k.a DAB
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by Double Agent Bruce a.k.a DAB » Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:53 am

Tbh hardly you can find a top manager who didn't make mistakes on the market. Every transfer is a gamble because the many unknows. Is the player will settle in the new club/country or whatever, can he stay injury free etc... If Rafa can manage at Newcastle what he did at Liverpool, I will be pleased. Not talking about winning cups, I'm not used with that. Just to keep the performances high, using the most of the players in the best possible way. Then I'm not give a s*** about the transfers.

The problem as always is the owner.

bodacious benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by bodacious benny » Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:57 am

R&B wrote:Tbh hardly you can find a top manager who didn't make mistakes on the market. Every transfer is a gamble because the many unknows. Is the player will settle in the new club/country or whatever, can he stay injury free etc... If Rafa can manage at Newcastle what he did at Liverpool, I will be pleased. Not talking about winning cups, I'm not used with that. Just to keep the performances high, using the most of the players in the best possible way. Then I'm not give a s*** about the transfers.

The problem as always is the owner.
Yeah, the likes of Wenger, Ferguson, Mourinho etc. have all signed some complete donkey's over the years. Eric Djemba-Djemba springs to mind as a particular highlight <laugh>
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

Heisen
Stallsenberg
Stallsenberg

Post by Heisen » Tue Aug 22, 2017 11:17 am

I don't like how you either have to be 'Camp Ashley' or 'Camp Rafa'. Can there not be a middle ground where we think Ashley is a cronut for going back on his promises but also be frustrated with Rafa for his poor tactics and alienation of useful squad members to prove a point?

overseasTOON
Uruguay (Nunez)
Uruguay (Nunez)

Post by overseasTOON » Tue Aug 22, 2017 11:20 am

Heisen wrote:I don't like how you either have to be 'Camp Ashley' or 'Camp Rafa'. Can there not be a middle ground where we think Ashley is a cronut for going back on his promises but also be frustrated with Rafa for his poor tactics and alienation of useful squad members to prove a point?
Camp AsRa?

Holystone...
Grammer Police Chef
Grammer Police Chef

Post by Holystone... » Tue Aug 22, 2017 11:28 am

Anyone who thinks Ashley can help us press on is dreaming. Rafa cannot buy who he wishes and he's got a good right to be frustrated about things. Ashley is passing on TV money. That's all.
We need someone fresh to pump funds in . I've not seen a transfer or funds to convince me we aren't going to struggle . :(
Ashley tells you it's raining. Do you look out the window?

Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by Double Agent Bruce a.k.a DAB » Tue Aug 22, 2017 11:32 am

Holystone... wrote:Anyone who thinks Ashley can help us press on is dreaming. Rafa cannot buy who he wishes and he's got a good right to be frustrated about things. Ashley is passing on TV money. That's all.
We need someone fresh to pump funds in . I've not seen a transfer or funds to convince me we aren't going to struggle . :(
No we don't! See the poll.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=8911&hilit=chinese

TBC
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by TBC » Tue Aug 22, 2017 11:39 am

R&B wrote:
Holystone... wrote:Anyone who thinks Ashley can help us press on is dreaming. Rafa cannot buy who he wishes and he's got a good right to be frustrated about things. Ashley is passing on TV money. That's all.
No we don't! See the poll.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=8911&hilit=chinese
<laugh>

overseasTOON
Uruguay (Nunez)
Uruguay (Nunez)

Post by overseasTOON » Tue Aug 22, 2017 11:49 am

When Lejuene and Dummet are back; they'll be like new signings.

ALF
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies

Post by ALF » Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:18 pm

7 of our starting 11 on Sunday were Rafa signings as were all 3 of our subs. He wanted all of those players. We were s****.

bodacious benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by bodacious benny » Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:32 pm

overseasTOON wrote:When Lejuene and Dummet are back; they'll be like new signings.
Hopefully after the international break.

Remember Colo
Ancient Forum Relic
Ancient Forum Relic

Post by Remember Colo » Tue Aug 22, 2017 2:10 pm

Sure, but considering we've been chasing players who wanted to leave England to go back to Spain, didn't want to leave Italy, would join a backlog of keepers, etc., there's more to managing the transfer market effectively than just an influx of cash (although of course that's a huge part of it).

Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by Double Agent Bruce a.k.a DAB » Tue Aug 22, 2017 3:07 pm

ALF wrote:
7 of our starting 11 on Sunday were Rafa signings as were all 3 of our subs. He wanted all of those players. We were s****.
And how many of those was his first choice? Remember this, we didn't want to pay 18-19 for Lacazette and be bought Riviere. So "his choice" means s*** if they are his third or fourth.

bodacious benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by bodacious benny » Tue Aug 22, 2017 3:20 pm

Lacazette defo would have rejected us <laugh>

Oval85
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by Oval85 » Tue Aug 22, 2017 3:34 pm

Bodacious Benny wrote:Lacazette defo would have rejected us <laugh>
Would have become either Pardewed, McClarenized or Carvered anyway...