Pardew

NickKIELCEPoland
Pope's Goalposts

Pardew

Post by NickKIELCEPoland » Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:43 am

Some stats about Pardew (if you think stats are ridiculous, and of no value, then you are free to say so, but not everyone thinks so).

Pardew had three full seasons with the Toon; the middle one was bad, and we finished 5th from bottom. But the first and last full season were 5th and 10th, which are actually the two(!) highest league positions we've finished at in the last 10 seasons.

Cups - during Pardew's time we reached two quarter-finals, one in the league cup and one in the Europa League. In the same 10 seasons as mentioned above, quarter-finals have been the best we've been able to hope for. So in cups too, Pardew's record, while not good, wasn't bad either, at least that's my conclusion.

His last half-season (August-December 2014) (and it was exactly(!) half a league season, 19 matches). We were 10th when he left, which is higher than any manager, other than Pardew, has finished in the last 10 seasons.

His first half-season (January-May 2011) (more or less half a season - we finished 12th, which was more or less where we were when he took over.

I conclude from the above that it was a mistake to signal from the stands to Pardew that he ought to resign, as happened a lot towards the end of his tenure. Others may have a different opinion, and that is fine.

I'm also very happy that we now have Benitez, whom I regard as a much better manager than Pardew whom I also rate as an excellent manager. (I rate Benitez as world class.)

So that's my opinion, I'd be happy to hear other opinions.

Colly
Belgium (Lukaku)
Belgium (Lukaku)

Re: Pardew

Post by Colly » Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:19 am

The problem was that he was happy to just sit there and take his paycheck while the recruitment side was collapsing around him, and he didn't have the managerial ability needed to get the best out of the players he was getting lumbered with. He wasn't terrible, but he wasn't great either, and coupled with his apparent contentment to just sit out his contract making vague effort to keep us up I can understand why people wanted him out. My perspective was always that I didn't want to see him sacked (largely because I was terrified of what would come next) but I wouldn't have been upset if and when he walked, as he did.

The excuses, particularly in our Europa League run and accompanying terrible league performances were absolutely terrible.

Ramone
Interblew
Interblew

Post by Ramone » Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:39 am

Mifoon finally made a second account <awe>
REQUIEM

Double Agent Bruce a.k.a DAB
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by Double Agent Bruce a.k.a DAB » Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:39 am

His LB fetish, his "Okey dokey" personality, his excuses, his lies, his attitute at the dugout, that Welsh town etc... The lack of desire at the players if you will. The fifth place was some anomaly. It happens from time to time. He leave us too late. He should be sacked right after the game when the fans boos him every time when he get up from the bench.

The problem wasn't his departure. The problem was the choosing of his successor. Just like the main problem wasn't Hughton's dismissal, but the choosing of pardew for his successor.

Heisen
Stallsenberg
Stallsenberg

Post by Heisen » Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:35 am

I always maintained as a manager he was alright but he was that loathsome and slimy it was just impossible to root for him.

If you look at his tenure as a whole he did an ok job as he was essentially managing with one hand tied behind his back for the whole run. But it was more the small, individual things that really pissed me off with him - the excuses when we lost, pushing linesman and headbutting opposition players, publicly thanking Ashley at a time when tensions were high to court favour, his inability to motivate us to come from behind, his shoehorning of players into positions that didn't suit them, our dismal set pieces, his reluctance to drop certain players no matter how awful they played, happy to take praise when we won but diverting blame when we lost. He was just a f***ing horrible slimy bastard with an opinion of himself that was way out of line with his abilities and an ego to match and as such I just could never find myself willing him to succeed. I especially hate him even more since he came out after he left and started spouting off about how difficult it had been to work with Ashley and all the problems he'd had with the administration - problems so severe he didn't say a peep about it in almost 5 years when he was happy to be their puppet and toe the Ashley line <erm> again absolving himself of any blame for our failures when he was here.

So yeah he was ok but nothing more than that and I certainly didn't shed any tears when he left.

Holystone...
Grammer Police Chef
Grammer Police Chef

Post by Holystone... » Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:52 am

Pards laid into Ashley after his departure about the cheapskate transfer restrictions and said he would have done much more had he been given free reign . My thoughts were he was given the job on someone's day so rather than go through a beauty parade . Pards won't ever get a job this high profile again . TV career beckons
Ashley tells you it's raining. Do you look out the window?

ALF
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies

Post by ALF » Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:59 am

Overall his record wasn't dreadful. But as a manager he was too hit and miss. Tactically we were poor and it was either 6 wins in a row or 8 losses. We rarely drew and when we won it was rarely convincing, unlike when we lost and it was regularly heavy. Not got the exact stats but I'm sure we had a massively negative goal difference over his time here which is perhaps more reflective of the team than his W/L record.

bodacious benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by bodacious benny » Wed Sep 20, 2017 12:19 pm

He was like a 3/10 girlfriend, serves a purpose for a time but you don't want to be lumbered with it for too long.
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

overseasTOON
Uruguay (Nunez)
Uruguay (Nunez)

Post by overseasTOON » Wed Sep 20, 2017 12:28 pm

Bodacious Benny wrote:He was like a 3/10 girlfriend, serves a purpose for a time but you don't want to be lumbered with it for too long.

The Deluded Pablo Diego Jose Francisco
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Post by The Deluded Pablo Diego Jose Francisco » Wed Sep 20, 2017 1:04 pm

ALF wrote:Overall his record wasn't dreadful. But as a manager he was too hit and miss. Tactically we were poor and it was either 6 wins in a row or 8 losses. We rarely drew and when we won it was rarely convincing, unlike when we lost and it was regularly heavy. Not got the exact stats but I'm sure we had a massively negative goal difference over his time here which is perhaps more reflective of the team than his W/L record.
Not to mention we became a 45 minute team under him.

We'd either play s*** in one half and good in the other half, unless we were going into halftime in the lead, then we'd just sit back and park the bus for 45 mins.

Over The Line
Tribal Elder
Tribal Elder

Post by Over The Line » Wed Sep 20, 2017 1:11 pm

This is the stats of the games after his 5th place finish and where we were compared to other games. The 5th place finish was great, and I was a big fan of Pardew during that season, even thought the 8 year contract was a good thing <disgrace> . But from the 3+ seasons after this is what we had to deal with and it was terrible to watch.

Remember Colo
Ancient Forum Relic
Ancient Forum Relic

Post by Remember Colo » Wed Sep 20, 2017 1:59 pm

Can always count on Villa's performance the past few years to make you feel better about our own...

NickKIELCEPoland
Pope's Goalposts

Post by NickKIELCEPoland » Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:15 pm

Over The Line wrote:Image

This is the stats of the games after his 5th place finish and where we were compared to other games. The 5th place finish was great, and I was a big fan of Pardew during that season, even thought the 8 year contract was a good thing <disgrace> . But from the 3+ seasons after this is what we had to deal with and it was terrible to watch.
After the 5th place, there were only two and a half seasons with Pardew. His last full season was very bizarre, with long series's of wins and long series's of defeats. While it is bizarre, it's not really different from a win here and a defeat here, in the more ordinary way. We finished 10th, when we wrap all those results up, and that's what counts - 2nd highest position in the last 10 seasons, beaten only by the 5th place which was also Pardew's doing.

Oval85
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by Oval85 » Wed Sep 20, 2017 3:19 pm

NickKIELCEPOland wrote:
Over The Line wrote:
After the 5th place, there were only two and a half seasons with Pardew. His last full season was very bizarre, with long series's of wins and long series's of defeats. While it is bizarre, it's not really different from a win here and a defeat here, in the more ordinary way. We finished 10th, when we wrap all those results up, and that's what counts - 2nd highest position in the last 10 seasons, beaten only by the 5th place which was also Pardew's doing.
You have to look at what he was given and where the route went after that. He finished 12th first season, and if I'm not completely wrong, that was the place Hughton had us in after 6 months when he got sacked.
The following season we were lucky. Lucky to get the players who turned out great on bargain moves. Demba scored a shitload of goals the first half of the season and Cisse did the same from january.
Cabaye was a absolute beast and teamed up with Tiote on the middle every team knew what what to expect when they was on the opposite side, a absolute war.

We finished 5th and everything went slow but steady downhill from there. Of course, good things happened while he was here, but you cannot be serious when you say that it was because of him?! <erk>
He didn't replace Cabaye, his tactics was sometimes bizarre. He went from manager of the year (with Hughton's squad plus Cabaye/Ba/Cisse), to the level that he's actually at, which is average at best.

He did the same with Crystal Palace, they looked like a force in the beginning, then they slowly but steadily got "Pardewed" like every team he touches. He's not as bad as Carver, but he is still totally worthless for a premiership team.

Chappy
10 Champs Silver
10 Champs Silver

Post by Chappy » Wed Sep 20, 2017 4:29 pm

His bad stats far outweigh any good ones he may have. Go to sackpardew.com if it's still up and running and you'll see just how s**** he was. Never rated him as a manager, our 5th place finish season was a fluke, aided by two strikers on form and teams playing s**** around us.

Add to his limited ability as a manager his tactical ineptness, basic unprofessionalism and derby record and you can see why so many wanted him out.

We were proved right after his honeymoon period at Palace - he's f***ing s****.
It’s the noise, the passion, the feeling of belonging, the pride in your city.

Double Agent Bruce a.k.a DAB
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by Double Agent Bruce a.k.a DAB » Wed Sep 20, 2017 4:58 pm

Chappy wrote:His bad stats far outweigh any good ones he may have. Go to sackpardew.com if it's still up and running and you'll see just how s**** he was. Never rated him as a manager, our 5th place finish season was a fluke, aided by two strikers on form and teams playing s**** around us.

Add to his limited ability as a manager his tactical ineptness, basic unprofessionalism and derby record and you can see why so many wanted him out.

Imo was far more than just a "fluke". And not just the strikers. Cabaye and Cheicky have a great partnership in the middle and... Willo was in the heart of the defence ffs... And let's not forget that Liverpool and Chelsea was really shaky at the PL.

bodacious benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by bodacious benny » Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:51 pm

Yeah it was a one-off but I wouldn't dismiss finishing 5th as a fluke or solely down to the failings of others. Pardew does deserve credit for that.
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

overseasTOON
Uruguay (Nunez)
Uruguay (Nunez)

Post by overseasTOON » Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:15 pm

Chappy wrote:His bad stats far outweigh any good ones he may have. Go to sackpardew.com if it's still up and running and you'll see just how s**** he was. Never rated him as a manager, our 5th place finish season was a fluke, aided by two strikers on form and teams playing s**** around us.

Leicester wining the league was a fluke as well.

Pardew sucks even worse now. Couldn't even fluke the bloody league title.

Amnesiac
-

Post by Amnesiac » Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:18 pm

Pardew absolutely deserves credit for when we finished fifth, but ultimately it was his inability to adapt when things were going against us and blaming everything/everyone but himself that was concerning. Remember when he blamed science for losing? Yeah.

Don Sholeone
Brazil (Neymar)
Brazil (Neymar)

Post by Don Sholeone » Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:03 pm

Moderate success is Pardews greatest enemy, once he gets to that point the ego kicks in, its happened consistently through his career, he believes his own hype and thinks hes untouchable then results go on the decline. His needs of being popular with the players then leads to behind the scenes problems and player power runs wild, some of the most disruptive and unprofessional players at nufc have surfaced under his watch, the likes of Colo, Sissoko, Cabaye, Ba, Enrique all of which forced their moves, ironically HBA success here was probably in part due to his bad attitude being enabled by Pardew.