Beardsley future Toon gaffer?

NickKIELCEPoland
Pope's Goalposts

Beardsley future Toon gaffer?

Post by NickKIELCEPoland » Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:57 pm

Who would like to see Beardsley one day manage the Toon? For me, definitely! If he was ever unveiled as manager, there would be the same magic that gripped the Toon when Keegan turned up, both in 1992 and in 2008, and which in the 1992-1997 spell was so wonderfully successful. I think I've been envisaging Beardsley as manager in every managerial change that has happened since and including Keegan's first departure as manager. I'm delighted with Benitez, and I hope he remains for a long time, but one day, I hope it's Beardo. What do other people think?
Last edited by NickKIELCEPoland on Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Remember Colo
Ancient Forum Relic
Ancient Forum Relic

Re: Beardsley future Toon gaffer?

Post by Remember Colo » Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:09 pm

Was an amazing player obviously, but that doesn't necessarily mean he'd make a top class manager. It's good that he's been coaching with the reserves for a while now, but the fact he's still in that role and hasn't gotten a promotion or poached to manage elsewhere suggests that might be his level. Obviously without having any inside knowledge it's impossible for me to know though.

overseasTOON
Uruguay (Nunez)
Uruguay (Nunez)

Post by overseasTOON » Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:10 pm

Not for me.

He's been part of the furniture within the club for ages managing youth teams and seems satisfied with that.

Had he any ambition to manage a first team, he'd have left many years ago.

Fonda Trevanion
Wilson's Loose Tooth

Post by Fonda Trevanion » Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:58 pm

Beardsley has continually failed as a manager of the young kids got them relegated and the standard of football they play is absolute shyte. Bobby Charltonesque in the fact he was a brilliant player but not up to management - love to be wrong but he's had a lot of years to prove his class but the young lads look very very poor under his jurisdiction - watched them at Gateshead pre-season last year and they were fukin rubbish. Legend forever in my book but way out of his depth as a manager/coach - obvoiusthly
First game Newcastle United v Burnley, 18 September 1965 W 3-2 Hilley Anderson and Bennett <love>

NickKIELCEPoland
Pope's Goalposts

Post by NickKIELCEPoland » Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:25 pm

I think Beardsley + the Toon crowd = more than the sum of the parts. It was exactly the same with Keegan, I don't think he would have been such a success at a different club.

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:07 am

Not for me. Incredible player yes, but seen nothing to suggest that he's cut out for modern top flight football management, regardless of if the crowd are behind him.
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

Colly
Belgium (Lukaku)
Belgium (Lukaku)

Post by Colly » Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:04 am

NickKIELCEPOland wrote:I think Beardsley + the Toon crowd = more than the sum of the parts. It was exactly the same with Keegan, I don't think he would have been such a success at a different club.
I think that's incredibly dismissive of Keegan as a manager. He never won a title but he's among the two (I think still?) English managers to finish second in the Premier League. Were it not for coming up against the best manager of the modern era he'd have at least one medal as a manager, and for all the "his teams couldn't defend" our defensive record in that season was fantastic. The player recruitment was spot on, the tactics fit the team, and the crowd reaction was a bonus to add up to a near perfect storm. Peter Beardsley isn't going to magically gain those skills in his 50s.

originallad
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by originallad » Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:08 am

No.

NickKIELCEPoland
Pope's Goalposts

Post by NickKIELCEPoland » Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:09 am

Colly wrote:
NickKIELCEPOland wrote:I think Beardsley + the Toon crowd = more than the sum of the parts. It was exactly the same with Keegan, I don't think he would have been such a success at a different club.
I think that's incredibly dismissive of Keegan as a manager. He never won a title but he's among the two (I think still?) English managers to finish second in the Premier League. Were it not for coming up against the best manager of the modern era he'd have at least one medal as a manager, and for all the "his teams couldn't defend" our defensive record in that season was fantastic. The player recruitment was spot on, the tactics fit the team, and the crowd reaction was a bonus to add up to a near perfect storm. Peter Beardsley isn't going to magically gain those skills in his 50s.
I think your post is very illogical. I was saying he did better at Newcastle than I think he would have done at other clubs, and you say you strongly disagree, and then proceed to say exactly what I said - that he was very successful with Newcastle.

Colly
Belgium (Lukaku)
Belgium (Lukaku)

Post by Colly » Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:12 am

I gave you the reasons Keegan was so successful here and explained why Beardsley isn't "exactly the same".

Don Sholeone
Brazil (Neymar)
Brazil (Neymar)

Post by Don Sholeone » Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:13 am

Beardsley is like the Shola of the coaching team, love the man but I honestly think our youth system could do with someone else at the helm, I honestly think the main reason he's still around is for sentimental reasons.

NickKIELCEPoland
Pope's Goalposts

Post by NickKIELCEPoland » Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:13 am

Colly wrote:I gave you the reasons Keegan was so successful here and explained why Beardsley isn't "exactly the same".
Exactly the same? If your going to strawman, I'm out of here.

Colly
Belgium (Lukaku)
Belgium (Lukaku)

Post by Colly » Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:14 am

I can't wait until Shola is the Shola of the coaching team. <love>

Colly
Belgium (Lukaku)
Belgium (Lukaku)

Post by Colly » Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:14 am

Strawman.

Don Sholeone
Brazil (Neymar)
Brazil (Neymar)

Post by Don Sholeone » Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:19 am

Colly
Belgium (Lukaku)
Belgium (Lukaku)

Post by Colly » Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:20 am

BRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAUUUUUUUNNNNNNN!

Heisen
Stallsenberg
Stallsenberg

Post by Heisen » Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:23 am

Christ no. He's done nothing whatsoever to suggest he could manage even at lower league level, never mind Premier League level. Then there was all those accusations of bullying from a few years ago. Have him on the coaching staff sure, but not as a manager. Not yet, not when he hasn't proved himself in any capacity whatsoever (reserves doesn't count).

Also how does your quoting always spectacularly f*** up <laugh>

NickKIELCEPoland
Pope's Goalposts

Post by NickKIELCEPoland » Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:46 am

Heisen wrote:Christ no. He's done nothing whatsoever to suggest he could manage even at lower league level, never mind Premier League level. Then there was all those accusations of bullying from a few years ago. Have him on the coaching staff sure, but not as a manager. Not yet, not when he hasn't proved himself in any capacity whatsoever (reserves doesn't count).

Also how does your quoting always spectacularly **** up <laugh>
What is the difference between the Toon giving him the job and Real Madrid giving Zidane the job? Or Barcelona giving Guardiola the job?

skalpel
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies

Post by skalpel » Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:30 am

NickKIELCEPOland wrote:What is the difference between the Toon giving him the job and Real Madrid giving Zidane the job? Or Barcelona giving Guardiola the job?
Zidane, Guardiola and Beardsley are three different human beings.

NickKIELCEPoland
Pope's Goalposts

Post by NickKIELCEPoland » Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:17 am

skalpel wrote:
NickKIELCEPOland wrote:What is the difference between the Toon giving him the job and Real Madrid giving Zidane the job? Or Barcelona giving Guardiola the job?
Zidane, Guardiola and Beardsley are three different human beings.
Really? ;) Yes, they are indeed, but as with Keegan, the point was that I believe that sometimes the entity is bigger than the sum of its parts. And in this case, I mean combination of coach and fans. Keegan + Toon fans lifted the club up. There was a special bond between Keegan and the fans which wouldn't have been a factor if Keegan had gone to another club, in my opinion. Beardsley is quiet, and some might say too quiet to be a good manager, perhaps correctly, perhaps not. However, that special chemistry between a player and the fans of the club that that player has brought lots of happiness too, made a difference when Keegan was at Newcastle, and that particular factor is the same, regardless of how charismatic the manager is. I'll illustrate it with this example - imagine Beardsley as manager of Norwich - he's having trouble with a player - the player is a star, and is making trouble for the manager (Beardsley). Woudln't that player be less likely to make trouble if it was at Newcastle, where he knows Beardsley's position in Toon history?