Amanda Staveleys PCP Partners formally offer £300m to buy Newcastle

Southern fairy
Avoids Death. Until it Matters.

Re: Newcastle United is officially for sale, Ashley wants deal by Christmas

Post by Southern fairy » Fri Oct 20, 2017 1:48 pm

ALF wrote:I picked Newcastle when I was about 5. First kits I had were the 1997/98 ones so must have been that season. Don't remember why I picked them. One side of my family are all Man United fans and the other side are Chelsea. Then there's me. <neg>
This basically sums me up too. But replace Man Utd and Chelsea with Spurs.
Joe Kinnear: "I think they've got some magnificent midfield players; Tiote, Ben Afri, Yohan Kebab, Sissoko are very solid."

biggeordiedave
Living in his head rent free

Post by biggeordiedave » Fri Oct 20, 2017 1:50 pm

I've always been a "Newcastle fan", but I totally lost interest in football as a kid and only really started watching matches properly when I was 15.
Kindly deeds done for free!

ALF
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies

Post by ALF » Fri Oct 20, 2017 1:58 pm

biggeordiedave wrote:I've always been a "Newcastle fan", but I totally lost interest in football as a kid and only really started watching matches properly when I was 15.
So you missed out on Sir Bobby but picked it up with Souness? <laugh>

Remember Colo
Ancient Forum Relic
Ancient Forum Relic

Post by Remember Colo » Fri Oct 20, 2017 3:32 pm

I picked Newcastle in the year(s) leading up to the first relegation. The writing was on the wall that the "glory years" of the late 90s and early 2000s were gone - but I liked how dramatic it all seemed, and that there was a Canadian from the city I was going to school in.

Donkey Toon
Croatia (Modric)
Croatia (Modric)

Post by Donkey Toon » Fri Oct 20, 2017 4:00 pm

As a kid there were 3 adults trying to indoctrinate me to either Man Utd (Dad), Spurs (Grandad) or Newcastle (Grandad's brother).

Apparently I choose Newcastle because my favourite place to play as a kid was Castle Cornet, were we used to go a lot as a family. One day when asked which team I supported I answered Newcastle Cornet. In my defence I was about three years old at the time. But it stuck and here I am 46 years later.

biggeordiedave

Post by biggeordiedave » Fri Oct 20, 2017 4:08 pm

ALF wrote:
biggeordiedave wrote:I've always been a "Newcastle fan", but I totally lost interest in football as a kid and only really started watching matches properly when I was 15.
So you missed out on Sir Bobby but picked it up with Souness? <laugh>
Pretty much <ergh>. I didn't have to experience the heartbreak of losing two finals though.
Kindly deeds done for free!

Graw
Tribal Elder
Tribal Elder

Post by Graw » Fri Oct 20, 2017 4:26 pm

Bodacious Benny wrote:I picked Newcastle <laugh>
Same. About 9 years old watching England play and Shearer scoring he quickly became my favourite player.. I asked what team he played for 'Newcastle' - here I am 15 years later <laugh>

Holystone...
Grammer Police Chef
Grammer Police Chef

Post by Holystone... » Fri Oct 20, 2017 4:38 pm

Being born into a One club city and having a dad who saw Milburn live , I suppose I’ve inherited a life of pain from those set of circumstances . Highlights have been sparse but that’s not why we support the club. It’s deeper than that . Shame we don’t have any local talent pipeline like the old days and players like Shearer happy to give up on cups and success to play for a club he stood on the terraces as a lad .
I want to be like City if I can’t have back what I had . Rafa with mega money would be a fantastic journey for all of us . What do we care if some billionaire wants to sp*nk fortunes on class players currently out of our reach . Who would take Bale, Lukaku and Alli ?
Ashley tells you it's raining. Do you look out the window?

Don Sholeone
Brazil (Neymar)
Brazil (Neymar)

Post by Don Sholeone » Fri Oct 20, 2017 5:20 pm

Only got into supporting the club through Shearer, as a kid when playing football with my mates they would always pick a player to pretend to be and I didn't really know any (had no interest in football teams at the time) so I asked my brother who was a good player, said shearer and became a lil fanboy haha, this was a few weeks before we signed him so technically I supported Blackburn for about 2 weeks <laugh> the day we signed him I was on holiday and my dad bought me a cheap Shearer car sticker, those retro shirt ones literally got home to the news we signed him.... I threw it in the bin, then I got convinced to colour the blue bit white so it was an England shirt haha.

Sir Bobby
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by Sir Bobby » Fri Oct 20, 2017 5:37 pm

I was signed up as a Junior Magpie before I was even born so didn’t really have much of an option <neg>

bodacious benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by bodacious benny » Fri Oct 20, 2017 5:53 pm

Sir Bobby wrote:I was signed up as a Junior Magpie before I was even born so didn’t really have much of an option <neg>
Less despair please, you're lucky <parrot>
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

Heisen
Stallsenberg
Stallsenberg

Post by Heisen » Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:01 pm

And despite how bollocks it's been down the years, we're all still here. We must be f***ing sadists.

UlversToon
Argentina (Messi)
Argentina (Messi)

Post by UlversToon » Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:30 pm

Newcastle was chosen for me by a favourite uncle , 1964/65 promotion season aged 9.

lassassinblanc
Netherlands (Gini)
Netherlands (Gini)

Post by lassassinblanc » Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:50 pm

I became Newcastle fan around 92/93 Andy Cole was my favorite player I was 8 cried my eyes out when he left <cry>

My two brothers are Liverpool, my dad Everton. So me I'm the slight odd one out wouldn't have it any other way.
I'll Hazard a guess

Lidl

Post by Lidl » Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:46 pm

Donkey Toon wrote:As a kid there were 3 adults trying to indoctrinate me to either Man Utd (Dad), Spurs (Grandad) or Newcastle (Grandad's brother).

Apparently I choose Newcastle because my favourite place to play as a kid was Castle Cornet, were we used to go a lot as a family. One day when asked which team I supported I answered Newcastle Cornet. In my defence I was about three years old at the time. But it stuck and here I am 46 years later.
Solid castle but it's no Mont Orgueil Newcastle
If This Is How You Folks Make Art, Well That's f***ing Depressing

Get It On My Back You Slag!

Southern fairy

Post by Southern fairy » Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:37 pm

I was bought videos of Newcastle in the 70s and 80s from car boots when i was a kid in the 90s and all I remember was being in awe of Malcolm MacDonald's goals <awe>
Joe Kinnear: "I think they've got some magnificent midfield players; Tiote, Ben Afri, Yohan Kebab, Sissoko are very solid."

Fonda Trevanion
Wilson's Loose Tooth

Post by Fonda Trevanion » Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:42 pm

Southern fairy wrote:I was bought videos of Newcastle in the 70s and 80s from car boots when i was a kid in the 90s and all I remember was being in awe of Malcolm MacDonald's goals <awe>
Saw too many supermac goals than I can recall but he was awesome 1-0 at Upton Park was a good night in the 70's and we had a good night in the wing paddock while we were supposed to be on a student grant march. Free bus from York and back - semi final at Hiilsborough lost me shoe when we scored the second and hobbled home :)

Better than Shearer imo
First game Newcastle United v Burnley, 18 September 1965 W 3-2 Hilley Anderson and Bennett <love>

asbo
Celestron Astromaster
Celestron Astromaster

Post by asbo » Sat Oct 21, 2017 9:23 pm

Does everyone believe Ashley intends to sell the club? Seems like a perfect excuse for him to not spend money in the transfer window. From what I hear Benitez wasn't too happy with the lack of financial backing he received over the summer. Having the club "for sale" would be the perfect way for Ashley to keep Benitez off his back come January, and the prospect off potential investment would be an incentive for Benitez to remain at the club; he'd hate to leave and then see another manager come in with huge amounts of money to spend under a wealthy new owner.

Graw
Tribal Elder
Tribal Elder

Post by Graw » Sat Oct 21, 2017 10:23 pm

http://www.express.co.uk/sport/football ... fa-Benitez

Probably bollocks but £500m imagine..

Ben Arfa linked as well <awe> but hes anything but a Rafa type player me thinks <urgh>

KingoStarr
First Night Blues
First Night Blues

Post by KingoStarr » Sat Oct 21, 2017 10:28 pm

Graw wrote:http://www.express.co.uk/sport/football ... fa-Benitez

Probably bollocks but £500m imagine..

Ben Arfa linked as well <awe> but hes anything but a Rafa type player me thinks <urgh>
<awe>

However given 500m over two seasons I would want more quality than Ben Arfa
The <erk>'sburg dynasty is over 3 seasons, 3 division 1 titles.