Amanda Staveleys PCP Partners formally offer £300m to buy Newcastle

skalpel
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies

Re: Newcastle United is officially for sale, Ashley wants deal by Christmas

Post by skalpel » Thu Nov 02, 2017 11:24 am

Sir Bobby wrote:Classic us, with our silly fans forgiving our unknown potential owners for being born in another country and therefore being indicitive of all the wrongs that country does or has done. By the logic above, we’re as bad as Ashley regarding his working conditions simply cos we were born in the same country. There’s a distinct difference between being from a country where awful things are done and doing awful things yourself.
True, but the quote does propose the idea of a government-backed acquisition, like Qatar buying PSG. It would likely mean that revenue generated through the club would return to Saudi to be reinvested by the government there, as is the case with PSG. This is the hypothetical siutation DT is bringing attention to, rather than just some random private investor.

TBC
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by TBC » Thu Nov 02, 2017 12:13 pm

skalpel wrote:
Sir Bobby wrote:Classic us, with our silly fans forgiving our unknown potential owners for being born in another country and therefore being indicitive of all the wrongs that country does or has done. By the logic above, we’re as bad as Ashley regarding his working conditions simply cos we were born in the same country. There’s a distinct difference between being from a country where awful things are done and doing awful things yourself.
True, but the quote does propose the idea of a government-backed acquisition, like Qatar buying PSG. It would likely mean that revenue generated through the club would return to Saudi to be reinvested by the government there, as is the case with PSG. This is the hypothetical siutation DT is bringing attention to, rather than just some random private investor.
Hypothetical being the key word here. Chadwick is an academic with no football sources, and at no point have we been linked with a Saudi takeover. It's possible there could be a mix of Saudi and other money in a consortium led by AS, but that's probably as close to PSG as we're going to get.

skalpel
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies

Post by skalpel » Thu Nov 02, 2017 12:46 pm

TBC wrote:
skalpel wrote:
Hypothetical being the key word here. Chadwick is an academic with no football sources, and at no point have we been linked with a Saudi takeover. It's possible there could be a mix of Saudi and other money in a consortium led by AS, but that's probably as close to PSG as we're going to get.
Of course, yeah. But DT's objection was always with a hypothetical situation. I don't think anybody is getting carried away here, just discussing the consequences of various maybes etc.

PTAO?
Avoids Death. Until it Matters.
Avoids Death. Until it Matters.

Post by PTAO? » Thu Nov 02, 2017 1:48 pm

Find me a billionaire who hasn't profited off the exploitation of others.

Remember Colo
Ancient Forum Relic
Ancient Forum Relic

Post by Remember Colo » Thu Nov 02, 2017 2:37 pm

PTAO wrote:Find me a billionaire who hasn't profited off the exploitation of others.
I think the other point DT was making is that it's pretty rich when people try to use morals as the reason for disliking Ashley or sponsorship like Wonga, when in fact it just always came down to wanting him to spend more or make us a success. And it's fine to be angry at Ashley for footballing reasons, that's totally justifiable, but pretending to take the moral highground against him but then hypothetically being fine with how the Saudi ruling family makes their money or governs their country would be outrageously hypocritical.

skalpel
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies

Post by skalpel » Thu Nov 02, 2017 3:48 pm

Plus, profit through the exploitation of others isn't his issue anyway. His issue is with money generated through NUFC being sent back to be used by a political regime which does x, y, z. (I presume, anyway).

Colly
Belgium (Lukaku)
Belgium (Lukaku)

Post by Colly » Thu Nov 02, 2017 4:18 pm

And realistically even the below minimum wage search procedure etc at Sports Direct doesn't compare to this:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_r ... udi_Arabia

But at least they're going to let women drive...

Remember Colo
Ancient Forum Relic
Ancient Forum Relic

Post by Remember Colo » Thu Nov 02, 2017 4:24 pm

skalpel wrote:Plus, profit through the exploitation of others isn't his issue anyway. His issue is with money generated through NUFC being sent back to be used by a political regime which does x, y, z. (I presume, anyway).
I don't want to put words in his mouth, but the labour practices in the middle eastern countries ruled by some of the men that have bought football clubs makes Sports Direct working conditions look like a utopia. None of this is me defending Ashley. All of this is to say, if you compartmentalize morals as it relates to football, there's plenty to still criticize Ashley for in terms of footballing failures. But if you hate him because of Sports Direct or Wonga morals, there's maybe a lot more to be opposed to when it comes to middle eastern royal families and governments owning the club.

Donkey Toon
Croatia (Modric)
Croatia (Modric)

Post by Donkey Toon » Thu Nov 02, 2017 5:37 pm

I'm over Colo wrote:
PTAO wrote:Find me a billionaire who hasn't profited off the exploitation of others.
I think the other point DT was making is that it's pretty rich when people try to use morals as the reason for disliking Ashley or sponsorship like Wonga, when in fact it just always came down to wanting him to spend more or make us a success. And it's fine to be angry at Ashley for footballing reasons, that's totally justifiable, but pretending to take the moral highground against him but then hypothetically being fine with how the Saudi ruling family makes their money or governs their country would be outrageously hypocritical.
Summed up my main point perfectly, thank you! <cheers> <gent>

And comments on here are adding strength to my argument.

Donkey Toon
Croatia (Modric)
Croatia (Modric)

Post by Donkey Toon » Thu Nov 02, 2017 5:51 pm

skalpel wrote:Plus, profit through the exploitation of others isn't his issue anyway. His issue is with money generated through NUFC being sent back to be used by a political regime which does x, y, z. (I presume, anyway).
This is the issue which would influence my personal relationship with the club. There is no way I could countenance putting any money the club's way with such owners.

I'd also object in principal to the use of the club as a propaganda tool to try and put a positive spin on the regime, by way of an example of Saudi attempts to adopt Western ideals. Which would be a sham at best.

But yes this is hypothetical.

Sir Bobby
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by Sir Bobby » Thu Nov 02, 2017 5:54 pm

Maybe I got confused by the line “I hope it isn’t anybody from the Middle East” rather than “I hope it isn’t someone linked to atrocities in the Middle East” which seems to have been the intended point.

As for the people that acted morally superior about Ashley’s working conditions, did anyone really think those people were truly moral and weren’t just using it as another stick to beat a man they didn’t like? Seemed pretty obvious what they were doing to me <laugh>

Remember Colo
Ancient Forum Relic
Ancient Forum Relic

Post by Remember Colo » Thu Nov 02, 2017 6:14 pm

Sir Bobby wrote:Maybe I got confused by the line “I hope it isn’t anybody from the Middle East” rather than “I hope it isn’t someone linked to atrocities in the Middle East” which seems to have been the intended point.

As for the people that acted morally superior about Ashley’s working conditions, did anyone really think those people were truly moral and weren’t just using it as another stick to beat a man they didn’t like? Seemed pretty obvious what they were doing to me <laugh>
No you're right, it'd be irresponsible to be xenophobic or use broad racially based stereotypes and say "no middle eastern owners", but I think DT and I at least were specifically talking about or assuming it would have to be a royal or ruling family to have the money and power necessary to underpin the rumours going round right now. For example, PSG's Qatar owners are the most influential people responsible for the conditions that construction "workers" are experiencing to prepare for the World Cup there.

skalpel
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies

Post by skalpel » Thu Nov 02, 2017 6:36 pm

Donkey Toon wrote:
This is the issue which would influence my personal relationship with the club. There is no way I could countenance putting any money the club's way with such owners.

I'd also object in principal to the use of the club as a propaganda tool to try and put a positive spin on the regime, by way of an example of Saudi attempts to adopt Western ideals. Which would be a sham at best.

Well, they did grant citizenship to a non-veiled, unchaperoned, presumably atheist female robot...

overseasTOON
Uruguay (Nunez)
Uruguay (Nunez)

Post by overseasTOON » Thu Nov 02, 2017 7:50 pm

skalpel wrote:
Donkey Toon wrote:

Well, they did grant citizenship to a non-veiled, unchaperoned, presumably atheist female robot...
I heard the wedding ceremony between her and the charger was wonderful.

Donkey Toon
Croatia (Modric)
Croatia (Modric)

Post by Donkey Toon » Fri Nov 03, 2017 5:20 pm

I'm over Colo wrote:
Sir Bobby wrote:Maybe I got confused by the line “I hope it isn’t anybody from the Middle East” rather than “I hope it isn’t someone linked to atrocities in the Middle East” which seems to have been the intended point.

No you're right, it'd be irresponsible to be xenophobic or use broad racially based stereotypes and say "no middle eastern owners", but I think DT and I at least were specifically talking about or assuming it would have to be a royal or ruling family to have the money and power necessary to underpin the rumours going round right now. For example, PSG's Qatar owners are the most influential people responsible for the conditions that construction "workers" are experiencing to prepare for the World Cup there.
Thank you again, the bit in bold exactly explains what I meant by that line, which in hindsight was too general, although I know what I meant when I typed it. I sort of thought my rant about the Saudi's would do enough to clarify it, but ...

I have a problem with a nation using national assets to purchase a toy to use for foreign propaganda, when the money should be used to help the population at home and only the oil rich Gulf States have that sort of cash to splash and are lacking in true democracy enough for the rulers to be able to get away with it.

I don't envy PSG and Man City their owners and would not want our club to go down that road with them.

Chappy
10 Champs Silver
10 Champs Silver

Post by Chappy » Sun Nov 05, 2017 12:30 pm

Political bollocks aside...

What's the latest on this? Heard nothing of late, is it even happening anymore?
It’s the noise, the passion, the feeling of belonging, the pride in your city.

TBC
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by TBC » Sun Nov 05, 2017 12:32 pm

Chappy wrote:Political bollocks aside...

What's the latest on this? Heard nothing of late, is it even happening anymore?
Amanda's currently rummaging around Charnley's garage

Remember Colo
Ancient Forum Relic
Ancient Forum Relic

Post by Remember Colo » Mon Nov 06, 2017 6:37 pm

I think I'd actually be more concerned if there was a lot in the news, because I think when real work is happening it won't be playing out publicly.

bodacious benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by bodacious benny » Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:02 pm

Yes, I suspect the buyers would want things to be kept tight until a deal is done. Doubt that Ashley would want info getting out either.
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

Fonda Trevanion
Wilson's Loose Tooth

Post by Fonda Trevanion » Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:57 pm

Who will win the race HMRC or the Arabs - exciting isn't it :)
First game Newcastle United v Burnley, 18 September 1965 W 3-2 Hilley Anderson and Bennett <love>