NUFC Minor/Untrusted Transfer Rumours (January 2018)

Ol' Dirty Bas Dost
Tribal Elder
Tribal Elder

Re: NUFC Minor/Untrusted Transfer Rumours (January 2018)

Post by Ol' Dirty Bas Dost » Fri Feb 02, 2018 8:30 am

seatonsluicetoon wrote:
Mbemba You're a Womble wrote:
That's partly my point. Why not actually go and sign a permanent signing?

Make significant improvement to this squad. I'm just surprised that there is such recognised adulation for the club making deals, when in actual fact you step back and assess, for me they are still falling miles short of what we need to be doing, and what other clubs around us are.

All three signings for me are just very underwhelming, and considering the time and effort that was clearly taken into getting them done, have to be considered below standard. Not one of them are a signing that makes a statement, goes and sets a new standard in our squad for us to improve around.

Clubs have been doing exactly that for years, and I just dream that we could do that as well. <erk>
It’s the January window and not traditionally when the huge money is spent. Name one club, with the exception of Man United, who gave made a statement this window. Liverpool bought a defender who’s been in the pipeline for a year and City just bought another expensive defender but didn’t spend more than is typical, hardly a statement. Sanchez is the only statement signing, taking him away from a big rival.
I'd say Aubameyang and Mkhitaryan are statement signings? They scored for fun when together at Dortmund.

Colly
Belgium (Lukaku)
Belgium (Lukaku)

Post by Colly » Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:14 am

To be fair that statement though is "s***, we just sold our best player". They've probably ended up better off with what they gained (though I'm interested to see how they'll fit together, Aubameyang or Lacazette is getting Ba'd...) but they had to do that to have any chance of making the Champions League. I know our situation is similar in terms of needing to spend to stay up, but the top 6 operate with an entirely different set of rules to the rest of us.

That said, that's still not a lot of "statement" signings even if you include PEA, and there certainly weren't any in the bottom half.

PTAO?
Avoids Death. Until it Matters.
Avoids Death. Until it Matters.

Post by PTAO? » Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:41 am

seatonsluicetoon wrote:
Mbemba You're a Womble wrote:
That's partly my point. Why not actually go and sign a permanent signing?

Make significant improvement to this squad. I'm just surprised that there is such recognised adulation for the club making deals, when in actual fact you step back and assess, for me they are still falling miles short of what we need to be doing, and what other clubs around us are.

All three signings for me are just very underwhelming, and considering the time and effort that was clearly taken into getting them done, have to be considered below standard. Not one of them are a signing that makes a statement, goes and sets a new standard in our squad for us to improve around.

Clubs have been doing exactly that for years, and I just dream that we could do that as well. <erk>
It’s the January window and not traditionally when the huge money is spent. Name one club, with the exception of Man United, who gave made a statement this window. Liverpool bought a defender who’s been in the pipeline for a year and City just bought another expensive defender but didn’t spend more than is typical, hardly a statement. Sanchez is the only statement signing, taking him away from a big rival.
I think 7 clubs broke their transfer records.

jpg
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Post by jpg » Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:49 am

TBC wrote:Mbemba your posts are far too long! Someone summarise please..
Ok:

He shoots down anything remotely positive.

seatonsluicetoon
Tribal Elder
Tribal Elder

Post by seatonsluicetoon » Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:40 am

Ol' Dirty Bas Dost wrote:
seatonsluicetoon wrote:
I'd say Aubameyang and Mkhitaryan are statement signings? They scored for fun when together at Dortmund.
For me that’s all diminished by the fact they’ve sold their best player and they’ve given Ozil yet another improved contract. He has Arsenal over a barrel and there is something rotten at that club in the way that players demands are given in to. Smacks of desperation.
Supercalifragilisticexpiameobi

bodacious benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by bodacious benny » Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:38 am

seatonsluicetoon wrote:
Ol' Dirty Bas Dost wrote:
For me that’s all diminished by the fact they’ve sold their best player and they’ve given Ozil yet another improved contract. He has Arsenal over a barrel and there is something rotten at that club in the way that players demands are given in to. Smacks of desperation.
Sanchez has been crap this season. Clearly wasn't interested at all in playing for arsenal.
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

ALF
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies

Post by ALF » Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:56 am

Bodacious Benny wrote:
seatonsluicetoon wrote:
Sanchez has been crap this season. Clearly wasn't interested at all in playing for arsenal.
He's not that good anyway. Gives the ball away far too often to be a top tier player.

seatonsluicetoon
Tribal Elder
Tribal Elder

Post by seatonsluicetoon » Fri Feb 02, 2018 12:41 pm

Bodacious Benny wrote:
seatonsluicetoon wrote:
No, he clearly wasn’t and up until a point neither was Ozil. But he isn’t crap, he’s just been disinterested and let’s face it, why would you be interested at Arsenal these days? They need rid of Wenger before anyone will be interested again.

bodacious benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by bodacious benny » Fri Feb 02, 2018 12:48 pm

seatonsluicetoon wrote:
Bodacious Benny wrote:
No, he clearly wasn’t and up until a point neither was Ozil. But he isn’t crap, he’s just been disinterested and let’s face it, why would you be interested at Arsenal these days? They need rid of Wenger before anyone will be interested again.
Oh yeah, I think he's a quality player but been poor this season. Wenger definitely has to go, if they fail to get CL this year (and no FA cup to fall back on) then that should be game over. Their only chance of CL next season is to win the EL so they may as well focus on that and rest players for PL matches. Winning the EL and finishing 7th or 8th will be a better season than finishing 6th but not winning the EL.
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

ColbacksFlamingBarnet
Shelvey's Precious

Post by ColbacksFlamingBarnet » Fri Feb 02, 2018 4:02 pm

Juliet Papa Golf wrote:
He shoots down anything remotely positive.
Yep. I find it weird.

Regarding Arsenal, Wenger needs to go now. Even with these signings/renewals he is not achieving what he should.

Remember Colo
Ancient Forum Relic
Ancient Forum Relic

Post by Remember Colo » Fri Feb 02, 2018 5:21 pm

Bodacious Benny wrote:
seatonsluicetoon wrote:
Oh yeah, I think he's a quality player but been poor this season. Wenger definitely has to go, if they fail to get CL this year (and no FA cup to fall back on) then that should be game over. Their only chance of CL next season is to win the EL so they may as well focus on that and rest players for PL matches. Winning the EL and finishing 7th or 8th will be a better season than finishing 6th but not winning the EL.
It seems none of the "Big 6" clubs below City have a clear plan right now. Sure, they all spent a crazy amount again, but in many cases trading players and money between each other, with few of the players actually addressing their biggest needs, and almost all of them on the downside of their careers. Sure they'll all come out of it still being the best clubs in the country, but it seems an especially weird time in the transfer market.

As for clubs like us, it seems especially hard to make any really meaningful permanent signings because the top clubs are hoarding so much of the best talent, and the middle and lower tier clubs all have a lot of money and needs, but no reason to sell. What sure-fire players do exist at the middling clubs are all angling to get their big move and contract, and their clubs are wary of how they'd replace them anyway without spending the same amount they just received. Add in the fact everyone wants immediate results and don't want to risk buying from less heralded leagues in which the players may need more time to settle or get up to speed, and it strikes me as a really tough month to do business.

Alfie
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by Alfie » Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:56 pm

ALF wrote:
Bodacious Benny wrote:
He's not that good anyway. Gives the ball away far too often to be a top tier player.
Not sure the opposition keeper digging the ball out the back of the net counts as giving the ball away <laugh> he's a great player though Utd are over paying him.
And in conclusion, how far had you got through reading this before you realised it was my signature?

jimileysbaldhead
Tribal Elder
Tribal Elder

Post by jimileysbaldhead » Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:58 pm

I see a lot of Liverpool supporters were disappointed they didn't get Bale.
Never mind, they'll be back in court on Monday to try again.
My problem is reconciling my gross behaviour with my net income.

Remember Colo
Ancient Forum Relic
Ancient Forum Relic

Post by Remember Colo » Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:03 pm

Alfie wrote:
ALF wrote:
Not sure the opposition keeper digging the ball out the back of the net counts as giving the ball away <laugh> he's a great player though Utd are over paying him.
Agreed, still a great player. Just seems most of the attacking signings among those clubs would have been a lot better 3 years ago. All felt a bit desperate trying to make headlines when it seemed a bit like musical chairs.

ColbacksFlamingBarnet
Shelvey's Precious

Post by ColbacksFlamingBarnet » Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:12 pm

I'm over Colo wrote: It seems none of the "Big 6" clubs below City have a clear plan right now.

I dunno, I'd argue Tottenham seem to have some kind of plan. Honestly shocked Rio and Lampard reckon they;'ll come in 5th behind chelsea who seem to be having behind the scenes problems.

ALF
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies

Post by ALF » Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:24 pm

ColbacksFlamingBarnet wrote:
I'm over Colo wrote: It seems none of the "Big 6" clubs below City have a clear plan right now.

I dunno, I'd argue Tottenham seem to have some kind of plan. Honestly shocked Rio and Lampard reckon they;'ll come in 5th behind chelsea who seem to be having behind the scenes problems.
I think they'll finish second again with a strong finish to the season.

seatonsluicetoon
Tribal Elder
Tribal Elder

Post by seatonsluicetoon » Sat Feb 03, 2018 9:19 am

See how that goes when Madrid come in for Kane in the summer. Spurs are always one big player sale away from a rebuilding job.

ColbacksFlamingBarnet
Shelvey's Precious

Post by ColbacksFlamingBarnet » Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:19 am

seatonsluicetoon wrote: See how that goes when Madrid come in for Kane in the summer. Spurs are always one big player sale away from a rebuilding job.
Well yeah but that's the same for any team with a focal point. Plus if he gets golden boot again they'll be getting £150m+

I want spurs to win something this year, I just sort of like them compared to the rest of the big 6.

Back on topic with Newcastle, anyone reckon the new keeper will be starting against palace?

Valentino's fast feet
Senegal (Aboubakar)
Senegal (Aboubakar)

Post by Valentino's fast feet » Sat Feb 03, 2018 1:14 pm

seatonsluicetoon wrote: See how that goes when Madrid come in for Kane in the summer. Spurs are always one big player sale away from a rebuilding job.
Well yeah but that's the same for any team with a focal point. Plus if he gets golden boot again they'll be getting £150m+

I want spurs to win something this year, I just sort of like them compared to the rest of the big 6.

Back on topic with Newcastle, anyone reckon the new keeper will be starting against palace?
I'd have thought so. Supposedly fit and able, and I don't think Elliot is yet. Darlow been a bit shaky, and while he was unlucky with that own goal, confidence must be knocked.
Previously CIH/Cabella's Invincible Hair