Gayle's great Premier League start

NickKIELCEPoland
Pope's Goalposts

Gayle's great Premier League start

Post by NickKIELCEPoland » Sat Dec 02, 2017 7:40 pm

Dwight Gayle has started in 5 of our PL matches this season.
He has scored 2 and had 0 assists. And remember, that disallowed goal against Bournemouth, which would have made it 3 if it hadn't been disallowed, dubiously some say.
Very impressive in itself, but even more impressive when one is told that three of his starts have been against top teams Tottenham, Man United and Chelsea.
Dwight Gayle is looking very very very good indeed.
Last edited by NickKIELCEPoland on Sun Dec 17, 2017 1:31 pm, edited 3 times in total.

The Deluded Pablo Diego Jose Francisco
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Re: Gayle's great Premier League start

Post by The Deluded Pablo Diego Jose Francisco » Sat Dec 02, 2017 7:51 pm

Er..no

Chappy
10 Champs Silver
10 Champs Silver

Post by Chappy » Sat Dec 02, 2017 8:08 pm

Marcus? <laugh>
It’s the noise, the passion, the feeling of belonging, the pride in your city.

NickKIELCEPoland
Pope's Goalposts

Post by NickKIELCEPoland » Sat Dec 02, 2017 8:12 pm

Chappy wrote:Marcus? <laugh>
Haha! <laugh> <laugh> <laugh> I wonder why I got his name mixed up.

Sir Bobby
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by Sir Bobby » Sat Dec 02, 2017 8:50 pm

Ha

seatonsluicetoon
Tribal Elder
Tribal Elder

Post by seatonsluicetoon » Sat Dec 02, 2017 11:23 pm

Gerld.
Supercalifragilisticexpiameobi

Heisen
Stallsenberg
Stallsenberg

Post by Heisen » Sat Dec 02, 2017 11:57 pm

A team of Marcus Gayles led by Peter Beardsley. We can only dream.

Bruuuuuuuuce ()
Tribal Elder
Tribal Elder

Post by Bruuuuuuuuce () » Sun Dec 03, 2017 12:05 am

Still s****.

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:31 am

Heisen wrote:A team of Marcus Gayles led by Peter Beardsley. We can only dream.
<laugh>

As for Dwight, he'd outscore Joselu every day of the week but we definitely need better. Our forwards can't even match Glen Murray for goals return.
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

NickKIELCEPoland
Pope's Goalposts

Post by NickKIELCEPoland » Sat Dec 09, 2017 7:39 pm

Gayle has now started 6 matches, scored 3 and had 1 assist, in this season's Premier League.
Plus, half of his starts have been against top teams, and he's also had a wrongly disallowed goal which would have taken his goal tally to 4. What a truly wonderful season he has had so-far in the few (only 6) starts that he has been given.

Bruuuuuuuuce ()
Tribal Elder
Tribal Elder

Post by Bruuuuuuuuce () » Sat Dec 09, 2017 10:19 pm

He's crap.

Mbemba You're a Womble
Tribal Elder
Tribal Elder

Post by Mbemba You're a Womble » Sat Dec 09, 2017 11:40 pm

He's the only player that's looked like scoring for us all season to be fair, and on that basis I would be starting him every game until/if another striker comes in and shows us they can score.

So sad, because he's by a mile the worst leading striker/#9 we've had in the Premier League ever.

Heisen
Stallsenberg
Stallsenberg

Post by Heisen » Sat Dec 09, 2017 11:57 pm

Paul Dummett's Right Foot wrote:He's the only player that's looked like scoring for us all season to be fair, and on that basis I would be starting him every game until/if another striker comes in and shows us they can score.

So sad, because he's by a mile the worst leading striker/#9 we've had in the Premier League ever.
Martins was pretty terrible mind. He gets a lot of love and nostalgia for some reason. I mostly remember him being quick and that was it. How he ended up with 17 goals in one season is an utter mystery to me as he was comfortably one of the worst centre forwards I've ever seen play for us - always offside, injured, or running around like a headless chicken until he got tired and had to be substituted.

Mbemba You're a Womble
Tribal Elder
Tribal Elder

Post by Mbemba You're a Womble » Sun Dec 10, 2017 12:17 am

Heisen wrote:
Paul Dummett's Right Foot wrote:He's the only player that's looked like scoring for us all season to be fair, and on that basis I would be starting him every game until/if another striker comes in and shows us they can score.

Martins was pretty terrible mind. He gets a lot of love and nostalgia for some reason. I mostly remember him being quick and that was it. How he ended up with 17 goals in one season is an utter mystery to me as he was comfortably one of the worst centre forwards I've ever seen play for us - always offside, injured, or running around like a headless chicken until he got tired and had to be substituted.

He had something about him though, damn quick and could hit a ball damn hard. That Tottenham goal <awe>

He wasn't playing in the age of 24/7 rolling news, and Twitter where we mostly expect the world on a stick from the players.

Would still put Gayle down as our worst No 9 though. On a good season, in a good side, playing every game fit I'd say he's capable of 15 goals - but your getting nothing else really than him sticking it in the net. So the knock on effect to the rest of the side is a problem due to him not being able to play football for the most part.

Colly
Belgium (Lukaku)
Belgium (Lukaku)

Post by Colly » Sun Dec 10, 2017 12:25 am

What did Cisse give us other than scoring goals? Looking at that first half season he's well ahead of Gayle, but the rest of his tenure? I'd still have him ahead for now, but only because Gayle's still in single figures for appearances.

Mbemba You're a Womble
Tribal Elder
Tribal Elder

Post by Mbemba You're a Womble » Sun Dec 10, 2017 12:42 am

Was never a Cisse fan simply because he couldn't play football at all, you knew what you where getting and that was that. Probably prefer Gayle thinking about it, always thought Cisse was just a bit of a bit of a typical PL lazy mercenary and lived off all those goals that flew in 15/16.

Gayle just seems the typical Championship hero, but wishy-washy Premier League player. Having him in and out of the team constantly is never going to get anything out him either. Part of him scoring consistently, is going to be confidence, which means he needs to know he's playing each week, and obviously playing in a team that's going to be making chances/having the ball near the opponents goal.

Colly
Belgium (Lukaku)
Belgium (Lukaku)

Post by Colly » Sun Dec 10, 2017 8:53 am

That's it, he's never really got an opportunity and people (including fans) have written him off already, unfairly in my view.

Sheesh
Chancel New Member
Chancel New Member

Post by Sheesh » Sun Dec 10, 2017 3:20 pm

Better than Christian Benteke! When we do get more quality up front i think Gayle will still have a part to play

NickKIELCEPoland
Pope's Goalposts

Post by NickKIELCEPoland » Sat Dec 16, 2017 2:02 pm

Gayle has now started 7 matches, scored 3 and had 1 assist, in this season's Premier League.
Plus, half of his starts have been against top teams, and he's also had a wrongly disallowed goal which would have taken his goal tally to 4.
And he's on the bench today, for the match against Arsenal. How unbelievably ridiculous!

Bruuuuuuuuce ()
Tribal Elder
Tribal Elder

Post by Bruuuuuuuuce () » Sat Dec 16, 2017 2:28 pm

NickKIELCEPoland wrote:Gayle has now started 7 matches, scored 3 and had 1 assist, in this season's Premier League.
Plus, half of his starts have been against top teams, and he's also had a wrongly disallowed goal which would have taken his goal tally to 4.
And he's on the bench today, for the match against Arsenal. How unbelievably ridiculous!
How many games of those 7 have we won?.

I couldn't give a f*** about individual stats when the teams stats are s***.