MIDWEEK FOOTBALL - 6/8 MARCH 2018

Remember Colo
Ancient Forum Relic
Ancient Forum Relic

Re: MIDWEEK FOOTBALL - 6/8 MARCH 2018

Post by Remember Colo » Wed Mar 07, 2018 1:53 am

Tsi wrote:
Chappy wrote:They're down.
The trouble is none of the teams around them are winning and like Dave said you know they'll fluke it and survive. <erk>
We said that last year too. They've looked hopeless for the past year and a half.

TBC
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by TBC » Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:48 am

Remarkable that they've only managed 5 wins from 36 yet 2 wins in their last 10 could see them safe <laugh>
Robbotoon wrote:Hope shelvey is fit for sat , not sure on slimani ??
Genuinely forgot we even had Slimani

Dorty
Pope's Goalposts

Post by Dorty » Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:47 am

TBC wrote:Remarkable that they've only managed 5 wins from 36 yet 2 wins in their last 10 could see them safe <laugh>
Robbotoon wrote:Hope shelvey is fit for sat , not sure on slimani ??
Genuinely forgot we even had Slimani
<laugh>

The Mackems have managed to win a mere 11 of their last 74 league games <laugh>

bodacious benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by bodacious benny » Wed Mar 07, 2018 12:38 pm

Do those of you living in the NE actually want them to go down? Rivalry aside, it'd be another economic hammer blow for the region if they dropped again (even tho Championship finances are way below PL they're still a lot more than L1). Surely what's best for the region outweighs the 'hatred' some have for Sunderland. I'm not from the NE so don't really care about them, but Wolves are my closest 'big' club, I don't support them in any way but I really really hope that they go up as it'll be a huge boost for what is a largely poor and deprived area (like Sunderland).
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

Dorty
Pope's Goalposts

Post by Dorty » Wed Mar 07, 2018 1:15 pm

I don't want them to go into administration but I wouldn't lose any sleep if they got relegated again.

Slim999
Shelvey's Precious

Post by Slim999 » Wed Mar 07, 2018 3:21 pm

Donkey Toon wrote:
Donkey Toon wrote:Mitrovic scored again.

4 in 4, yet we are stuck with Gayle and Joselu.
Make that 5 in 4!

<disgrace>
If we end up going down with zero Slimani goals - and Mitrovic score 10+ to get Fulham promoted - some serious questions need to be asked about Benitez judgement .
From what I can see he hasn't come close to being sent off either!
You could not make it up....

Toondes
f uck tha police
f uck tha police

Post by Toondes » Wed Mar 07, 2018 3:25 pm

Dorty wrote:I don't want them to go into administration but I wouldn't lose any sleep if they got relegated again.
I would loss myself laughing if the eat relegated again. f*** them and their shitty “city”.
# stolen from nufc.com :)

Remember Colo
Ancient Forum Relic
Ancient Forum Relic

Post by Remember Colo » Wed Mar 07, 2018 6:59 pm

Bodacious Benny wrote:Do those of you living in the NE actually want them to go down? Rivalry aside, it'd be another economic hammer blow for the region if they dropped again (even tho Championship finances are way below PL they're still a lot more than L1). Surely what's best for the region outweighs the 'hatred' some have for Sunderland. I'm not from the NE so don't really care about them, but Wolves are my closest 'big' club, I don't support them in any way but I really really hope that they go up as it'll be a huge boost for what is a largely poor and deprived area (like Sunderland).
I'm indifferent on their fate (my preferred outcome probably would have been for them to languish in the Championship for a few years), though don't wish administration on any football club.

As for the economic benefits of professional sports, I'm not entirely sure what the city of Sunderland benefits from which league they're in. The club is so underwater financially they aren't spending to upgrade local services or redevelop land, the players themselves tend not to buy/rent property in Sunderland or spend money there, and a lot of research suggests people just spend their disposable income on other local entertainment if the option to spend on pro sports is taken away. All that said, I can imagine them sliding into the lower leagues is bad for football in the NE more broadly.

bodacious benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by bodacious benny » Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:16 pm

I'm over Colo wrote:
Bodacious Benny wrote:Do those of you living in the NE actually want them to go down? Rivalry aside, it'd be another economic hammer blow for the region if they dropped again (even tho Championship finances are way below PL they're still a lot more than L1). Surely what's best for the region outweighs the 'hatred' some have for Sunderland. I'm not from the NE so don't really care about them, but Wolves are my closest 'big' club, I don't support them in any way but I really really hope that they go up as it'll be a huge boost for what is a largely poor and deprived area (like Sunderland).
I'm indifferent on their fate (my preferred outcome probably would have been for them to languish in the Championship for a few years), though don't wish administration on any football club.

As for the economic benefits of professional sports, I'm not entirely sure what the city of Sunderland benefits from which league they're in. The club is so underwater financially they aren't spending to upgrade local services or redevelop land, the players themselves tend not to buy/rent property in Sunderland or spend money there, and a lot of research suggests people just spend their disposable income on other local entertainment if the option to spend on pro sports is taken away. All that said, I can imagine them sliding into the lower leagues is bad for football in the NE more broadly.
True, but even if it's just a case of away teams bringing more fans over the course of the season it'll bring some extra money and more people will be kept in jobs at the club the higher the division that they're in.
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

bodacious benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by bodacious benny » Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:50 pm

Wolves recovering from their mini blip and are 2-0 up at Leeds at HT.

Cardiff on a winning run again too, the last thing we need back in the PL is Neil bloody Warnock.

bodacious benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by bodacious benny » Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:25 pm

Spurs looking to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.

UlversToon
Argentina (Messi)
Argentina (Messi)

Post by UlversToon » Thu Mar 08, 2018 7:00 pm

Arsenal 2-0 up at half-time, hopefully they will have given up on the league by the time we play them. <whistle>

Dorty
Pope's Goalposts

Post by Dorty » Thu Mar 08, 2018 7:04 pm

UlversToon wrote:Arsenal 2-0 up at half-time, hopefully they will have given up on the league by the time we play them. <whistle>
Good grief, Arsenal are actually winning...their opponents must be crap <laugh>

bodacious benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by bodacious benny » Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:09 pm

UlversToon wrote:Arsenal 2-0 up at half-time, hopefully they will have given up on the league by the time we play them. <whistle>
Definitely!

Remember Colo
Ancient Forum Relic
Ancient Forum Relic

Post by Remember Colo » Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:39 pm

Bodacious Benny wrote:
Definitely!
Winning the Europa League is their only hope this season of sneaking into CL for next year.