NUFC Minor/Untrusted Transfer Rumours (Summer 2018)

Colly
Belgium (Lukaku)
Belgium (Lukaku)

Re: NUFC Minor/Untrusted Transfer Rumours (Summer 2018)

Post by Colly » Thu Jun 07, 2018 12:27 pm

I'll be honest, I like Lascelles but he's far from irreplaceable, and for £45m? With vaguely competent scouting that's a replacement for him and a new right back at least.

The issue of course is wages, whereby I imagine he's not on much, whereas any signings will expect Premier League salaries. That's reason enough to hang onto him until he asks for a pay rise...

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Thu Jun 07, 2018 12:51 pm

Footballing ability is one thing, but finding leaders isn't easy. He leads us on and off the pitch, and seems to raise the performances of those around him. Doesn't matter how much money you have to splash, finding those qualities is incredibly difficult.
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

Colly
Belgium (Lukaku)
Belgium (Lukaku)

Post by Colly » Thu Jun 07, 2018 1:01 pm

I do think that's overstated to an extent. Yes he was the mouthy one on relegation, but Clark led the defense in the following season. He's certainly growing into a leader, and obviously I'd rather keep him, but we saw bits of it from Lejeune towards the end of the season.

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Thu Jun 07, 2018 1:05 pm

Colly wrote:
Thu Jun 07, 2018 1:01 pm
I do think that's overstated to an extent. Yes he was the mouthy one on relegation, but Clark led the defense in the following season. He's certainly growing into a leader, and obviously I'd rather keep him, but we saw bits of it from Lejeune towards the end of the season.
Sometimes, but we were dreadful when he was injured last season. Lejeune came on leaps and bounds, but when we was at CB with Clark he didn't look as good. Hard to say if it's the case of him covering for Clark so leaving himself open, or if it was that Lascelles helped him to improve his game.
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

Remember Colo
Ancient Forum Relic
Ancient Forum Relic

Post by Remember Colo » Thu Jun 07, 2018 1:51 pm

I feel like there are very few examples of a club selling their best player and replacing them with better - wherein I can see plenty of clubs, from those winning the league, to those facing relegation who are worse off afterwards. It's just hard to do because there are so many uncertainties every time a new player arrives.

Ramone
Interblew
Interblew

Post by Ramone » Thu Jun 07, 2018 3:06 pm

I can't see any good reason to sell Lascelles (or Lejeune for that matter) considering our defence was what kept us up last season. He's not irreplaceable of course, but we'd struggle to get someone in who's as good as he is and would just be able to slot into the team straight away.
REQUIEM

Colly
Belgium (Lukaku)
Belgium (Lukaku)

Post by Colly » Thu Jun 07, 2018 3:56 pm

Blještav Benny wrote:
Thu Jun 07, 2018 1:05 pm
Colly wrote:
Thu Jun 07, 2018 1:01 pm
Sometimes, but we were dreadful when he was injured last season. Lejeune came on leaps and bounds, but when we was at CB with Clark he didn't look as good. Hard to say if it's the case of him covering for Clark so leaving himself open, or if it was that Lascelles helped him to improve his game.
With Lejeune I think it was just the standard case of a player getting used to the league, like Colo before him. Had he not got that injury first game I think he'd have been up and running by November and saved us from that losing streak.

Don Sholeone
Brazil (Neymar)
Brazil (Neymar)

Post by Don Sholeone » Thu Jun 07, 2018 5:32 pm

Rafa deserves a lot of credit for who he brought in on a budget, the likes of Dubravka, Lejeune, Merino, Kenedy are such stand out players, Murphy needs to be given time, he's a young lad who needs more development and experience, the likes of Manquillo did the job he was supposed to, I think the only real disaster was maybe Joselu, but still he bagged a handful of goals and you can't really complain in context of the fee paid.

So even if we don't have mega money to spend I've got confidence that Rafa will bring in some more gems on a budget.

Valentino's fast feet
Senegal (Aboubakar)
Senegal (Aboubakar)

Post by Valentino's fast feet » Thu Jun 07, 2018 7:21 pm

How does our recruitment work these days? Does Rafa have final say on transfers, as he's seemed to indicate in the past that Charnley has to sign off. And what role does Stevie Nicks play? It sounds like Dubravka and Kenedy especially were Rafa targets, but genuinely curious as to how it all works these days. Back in the Pardew/Carr regime it was clear that the left hand didn't know what the right hand was doing.

As for potentially having to replace Lascelles, does anyone have any realistic suggestions? He's more than just a capeable defender, as others have mentioned. He's a leader and he makes the entire side better when he's involved. Closest I could think of would be Shawcross, who I think a few years ago would have been a class signing. Not sure if the same player is still there though, and I don't think he'd leave Stoke at this point. Will boss the championship next season. Maybe worth looking at fourth choice CB's from the bigger sides. Chambers or maybe Smalling or someone. Mangala from City would likely be avaliable, but he's not very good.
Previously CIH/Cabella's Invincible Hair

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Thu Jun 07, 2018 7:32 pm

Shawcross is s**** now. Had back problems for several years which have really limited him.

I don't think Lascelles will go this summer, possibly next summer if he has another decent season.

Valentino's fast feet
Senegal (Aboubakar)
Senegal (Aboubakar)

Post by Valentino's fast feet » Thu Jun 07, 2018 7:57 pm

Yeah like I said, few seasons ago he would have been a good signing for us. I really hope we don't lose Lascelles, but Rafa's comments about using any potential fee to strengthen the side has me concerned that he's planning for life without him.

ColbacksFlamingBarnet
Shelvey's Precious

Post by ColbacksFlamingBarnet » Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:37 pm

Really really really hope lascelees says - somebody earlier said Graelish was up for 40m? For me Lascelles is worth a lot more - our record of clean sheets with vs. without him is ridiculous, and as I have said before, he seems to be the best player for taking a game by the scruff of the neck and dragging our team to a win. Our other star players can lose their heads far easier.

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:52 pm

ColbacksFlamingBarnet wrote:
Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:37 pm
Really really really hope lascelees says - somebody earlier said Graelish was up for 40m? For me Lascelles is worth a lot more - our record of clean sheets with vs. without him is ridiculous, and as I have said before, he seems to be the best player for taking a game by the scruff of the neck and dragging our team to a win. Our other star players can lose their heads far easier.
It's just Villa valuing Grealish at £40m, I'd say £4m was closer to the mark.

Valentino's fast feet
Senegal (Aboubakar)
Senegal (Aboubakar)

Post by Valentino's fast feet » Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:45 pm

He's probably realistically worth maybe 15m. He's barely more proven than Murphy when we paid 12m for him, got an extra season in the second tier. I wouldn't want Grealish personally, and I don't see any prem club paying that kind of cash for someone like him. Leicester seem likely to want him as a replacement for Mahrez, but I don't see why they wouldn't just sign someone like Shaquiri instead. Or potentially Zaha.

Colly
Belgium (Lukaku)
Belgium (Lukaku)

Post by Colly » Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:44 pm

Crazy Ibrahimovic Hotdog wrote:
Thu Jun 07, 2018 7:21 pm
How does our recruitment work these days? Does Rafa have final say on transfers, as he's seemed to indicate in the past that Charnley has to sign off. And what role does Stevie Nicks play? It sounds like Dubravka and Kenedy especially were Rafa targets, but genuinely curious as to how it all works these days. Back in the Pardew/Carr regime it was clear that the left hand didn't know what the right hand was doing.
Vocals and a bit of piano usually.

Aldridge Prior
Dogemanding Traitor
Dogemanding Traitor

Post by Aldridge Prior » Thu Jun 07, 2018 11:10 pm

Colly wrote:
Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:44 pm
Crazy Ibrahimovic Hotdog wrote:
Thu Jun 07, 2018 7:21 pm
I think they are just rumours really

Valentino's fast feet
Senegal (Aboubakar)
Senegal (Aboubakar)

Post by Valentino's fast feet » Thu Jun 07, 2018 11:56 pm

Haha I did wonder if that would be noticed. Always looked at Steve Nickson's name and made that connection myself. Being again linked to Skrtel, and I hope that it's more because of the obvious Benitez link rather than as a serious transfer target. Would not want to see him come in as a Lascelles replacement.

jimileysbaldhead
Tribal Elder
Tribal Elder

Post by jimileysbaldhead » Fri Jun 08, 2018 4:05 am

Aldridge Perez wrote:
Thu Jun 07, 2018 11:10 pm
Colly wrote:

Tsk... <grim>
My problem is reconciling my gross behaviour with my net income.

beatski
England (Kane)
England (Kane)

Post by beatski » Fri Jun 08, 2018 4:08 am

Aldridge Perez wrote:
Colly wrote:

Sounds like second hand news to me

lassassinblanc
Netherlands (Gini)
Netherlands (Gini)

Post by lassassinblanc » Fri Jun 08, 2018 8:47 am

Van Beatski wrote:
Fri Jun 08, 2018 4:08 am
Aldridge Perez wrote:

Sounds like second hand news to me
There is a chain that keeps them together
I'll Hazard a guess