Rafa Wants Talks With Ashley; Expects Club To Match His Ambitions

overseasTOON
Uruguay (Nunez)
Uruguay (Nunez)

Re: Rafa Wants Talks With Ashley; Expects Club To Match His Ambitions

Post by overseasTOON » Mon Apr 23, 2018 3:35 pm

CIH wrote:
I'm over Colo wrote: And 60m bought some players that didn't contribute half of what Salah has. It isn't always as simple as just spending more.
Oh yeah that's very true. I was just having a soft pop at Sissoko more than anything.

Blue & Maroon
France (Benzema)
France (Benzema)

Post by Blue & Maroon » Tue Apr 24, 2018 1:13 pm

I'm over Colo wrote:
Magdia wrote:
Correct. Spending large amounts in single transfer windows does not correlate to anything really.
Right. Don't get me wrong, we need to spend more to maintain competitiveness, you can't expect a manager, even one as good as Rafa, to be a magician every season.

I only meant that it isn't just as simple as spending lots, but having a clear vision for playing style, who will fit roles, and then hopefully getting them for a reasonable price. Unless you have SO MUCH money to spend that you can afford to make huge mistakes. I don't think Everton are in that boat, and likely won't see a summer this year like last.
You need to spend well AND pay the wages needed to keep your best players. The latter is much more important, allows you to build.

No point in us spunking 150mill in the summer if we have to build a new squad.

Remember Colo
Ancient Forum Relic
Ancient Forum Relic

Post by Remember Colo » Tue Apr 24, 2018 2:13 pm

Magdia wrote:
I'm over Colo wrote: Right. Don't get me wrong, we need to spend more to maintain competitiveness, you can't expect a manager, even one as good as Rafa, to be a magician every season.

I only meant that it isn't just as simple as spending lots, but having a clear vision for playing style, who will fit roles, and then hopefully getting them for a reasonable price. Unless you have SO MUCH money to spend that you can afford to make huge mistakes. I don't think Everton are in that boat, and likely won't see a summer this year like last.
You need to spend well AND pay the wages needed to keep your best players. The latter is much more important, allows you to build.

No point in us spunking 150mill in the summer if we have to build a new squad.
Absolutely, very true! And in addition to the wages, they need to see there's ambition to improve and compete for things, otherwise they'll want to leave for a club that will.