Garth Crooks' team of the season

Valentino's fast feet
Senegal (Aboubakar)
Senegal (Aboubakar)

Garth Crooks' team of the season

Post by Valentino's fast feet » Sun May 13, 2018 10:53 pm

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/44093575

Interesting read that, as much as he's normally a bit of a clueless nob. There are a few things I disagree with there, but overall a decent read. I particularly liked the manager of the season selection. <awe>
Manager of the season - Rafael Benitez
I was asked recently who were my top three managers this season. Without a moment's hesitation I said Rafael Benitez, Sean Dyche and Chris Hughton - in that order.

I never expected Burnley to qualify for Europe, for Brighton to survive a season in the Premier League, or for Newcastle to finish with 44 points, ensuring safety with games to spare having started the season with seven Championship players in the team.

Anyone who has watched Newcastle United this season will have observed Benitez and his boys refusing to compromise one iota on the brand of football their fans want to see.

I wish I could say the same for Jose Mourinho and Manchester United. If Newcastle have lost a game they have done so with their dignity intact. They have taken the opposition on trying to play.

There have been times when they have been outplayed, even outclassed, but they have never turned their backs on giving their fans 100%, which you have to do when playing for the Magpies.

That is why Newcastle fans love Benitez, because they have seen the Spaniard turn their team from a Championship squad into a credible Premier League outfit.

Give Benitez the resources and he would do what Kevin Keegan failed to do, and win Newcastle a trophy. Don't give him the resources to compete with the very best and he will leave - and quite rightly.
Previously CIH/Cabella's Invincible Hair

Aldridge Prior
Dogemanding Traitor
Dogemanding Traitor

Re: Garth Crooks' team of the season

Post by Aldridge Prior » Sun May 13, 2018 11:27 pm

What's the point of "team of the season" when you pick 6 of your 11 from the league winning side? <laugh>

UlversToon
Argentina (Messi)
Argentina (Messi)

Post by UlversToon » Mon May 14, 2018 8:39 am

Aldridge Prior wrote:What's the point of "team of the season" when you pick 6 of your 11 from the league winning side? <laugh>
What's the point of Garth Crooks?

overseasTOON
Uruguay (Nunez)
Uruguay (Nunez)

Post by overseasTOON » Mon May 14, 2018 8:58 am

"Anyone who has watched Newcastle United this season will have observed Benitez and his boys refusing to compromise one iota on the brand of football their fans want to see."

Pretty sure we played some dour football this season.

Colback's Orange Tufts
USA USA USA (Pulisic)
USA USA USA (Pulisic)

Post by Colback's Orange Tufts » Mon May 14, 2018 9:21 am

overseasTOON wrote:"Anyone who has watched Newcastle United this season will have observed Benitez and his boys refusing to compromise one iota on the brand of football their fans want to see."

Dour is our brand?

Seriously though, we played very differently across the season, Benitez tailored the tactics to the game. Particularly vs our direct rivals. Lazy analysis.

finishing in top ten 1st season after promotion is a big achievement, only 3 teams done it in Premier League era? I still think Dyche deserves the award, given the lowest wage bill to finish where they did
Sharing articles no-one reads since 2012

Colly
Belgium (Lukaku)
Belgium (Lukaku)

Post by Colly » Mon May 14, 2018 10:16 am

overseasTOON wrote:"Anyone who has watched Newcastle United this season will have observed Benitez and his boys refusing to compromise one iota on the brand of football their fans want to see."

"I wish I could say the same for Jose Mourinho and Manchester United. If Newcastle have lost a game they have done so with their dignity intact. They have taken the opposition on trying to play."

This too. The games where we were defending losses for the sake of goal difference ("Look at the goal difference!") were embarrassing.

We've had a cracking season without doubt, but the idea that the first half of the season was just Rafa tinkering until he found his magic plan for the second half is revisionist history at best. We were pitiful at times, looking like players who'd barely met before they got on the field. You can still see in the recent losing streak that sitting back and absorbing pressure hasn't worked for us all season, when we've actually pressed teams (note: pressed. I'm not suggesting 3 up top all out attack. KEEGURN!) we've performed far better and beaten good teams. When we've sat we've handed points to West Brom etc unnecessarily.

Zero complaints with Rafa being mentioned here, but I'm not convinced Garth's been watching our games.

On another note, he's maybe not had enough games, but Roy Hodgson has to in consideration for me.

Remember Colo
Ancient Forum Relic
Ancient Forum Relic

Post by Remember Colo » Mon May 14, 2018 2:08 pm

I'd agree our playing style was often terrible, and I doubt this is how he meant it, but I would say that we always played how Rafa wanted, and in the end the final result was good. A lot of clubs don't show such a disciplined structure clearly established by the manager, and in our case we definitely did - often for better or worse.

Ramone
Interblew
Interblew

Post by Ramone » Mon May 14, 2018 2:26 pm

Colly wrote:

"I wish I could say the same for Jose Mourinho and Manchester United. If Newcastle have lost a game they have done so with their dignity intact. They have taken the opposition on trying to play."

This too. The games where we were defending losses for the sake of goal difference ("Look at the goal difference!") were embarrassing.

We've had a cracking season without doubt, but the idea that the first half of the season was just Rafa tinkering until he found his magic plan for the second half is revisionist history at best. We were pitiful at times, looking like players who'd barely met before they got on the field. You can still see in the recent losing streak that sitting back and absorbing pressure hasn't worked for us all season, when we've actually pressed teams (note: pressed. I'm not suggesting 3 up top all out attack. KEEGURN!) we've performed far better and beaten good teams. When we've sat we've handed points to West Brom etc unnecessarily.

Zero complaints with Rafa being mentioned here, but I'm not convinced Garth's been watching our games.

On another note, he's maybe not had enough games, but Roy Hodgson has to in consideration for me.
Hodgson is an interesting one as he's basically done the same thing as Rafa with 7 less games and one less transfer window. You could argue that he's had more backing and started with a better squad but it's still impressive.
REQUIEM

bodacious benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by bodacious benny » Mon May 14, 2018 5:39 pm

Hodgson has done an incredible job. 7 games, 7 defeats and no goals when he took over.
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

Oval85
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by Oval85 » Mon May 14, 2018 7:05 pm

Bodacious Benny wrote:Hodgson has done an incredible job. 7 games, 7 defeats and no goals when he took over.
I've wondered why the british people generally dislike Hodgson.
I remember when he was manager for Viking in Norway, he made a shambolic team into a sturdy top for team within a season.
He also made headlines when he left his job in pure rage after a defeat against Molde <laugh>
He just said good luck to the boys then left the stadium... A few days later he was confronted with the event by the press and he laughed it off, said he didn't know what he said and he was happy he didn't say anything worse <laugh>
I like him <awe>

bodacious benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by bodacious benny » Mon May 14, 2018 7:19 pm

Oval85 wrote:
Bodacious Benny wrote:Hodgson has done an incredible job. 7 games, 7 defeats and no goals when he took over.
I've wondered why the british people generally dislike Hodgson.
I remember when he was manager for Viking in Norway, he made a shambolic team into a sturdy top for team within a season.
He also made headlines when he left his job in pure rage after a defeat against Molde <laugh>
He just said good luck to the boys then left the stadium... A few days later he was confronted with the event by the press and he laughed it off, said he didn't know what he said and he was happy he didn't say anything worse <laugh>
I like him <awe>
<laugh>

I don't think people dislike him, a lot see him as a bit of a comedy figure even though he's done better than good at a lot of teams. Probably stems from his time as England manager.

And of course you get some morons who think that because he can't say his R's he's an easy target.
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

Oval85
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by Oval85 » Mon May 14, 2018 7:32 pm

Bodacious Benny wrote:
Oval85 wrote: I've wondered why the british people generally dislike Hodgson.
I like him <awe>
<laugh>

I don't think people dislike him, a lot see him as a bit of a comedy figure even though he's done better than good at a lot of teams. Probably stems from his time as England manager.

And of course you get some morons who think that because he can't say his R's he's an easy target.
That's why he is so likable <laugh>
Maybe it's just us norwegians who have a weak heart for grumpy, angry managers who might explode...
The Rosenborg Curse <yikes>

bodacious benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by bodacious benny » Mon May 14, 2018 7:34 pm

Oval85 wrote:
Bodacious Benny wrote:
<laugh>

Maybe it's just us norwegians who have a weak heart for grumpy, angry managers who might explode...
I'd happily sit and have a pint with him <laugh>

Remember Colo
Ancient Forum Relic
Ancient Forum Relic

Post by Remember Colo » Tue May 15, 2018 2:28 pm

Oval85 wrote:
Bodacious Benny wrote:
<laugh>

I've always had a lot of respect for him. Unlike most of his British peers, he managed in other countries, has helped a number of mediocre sides overachieve (Fulham's run to the Europa League final deserved way more attention and credit), but he wasn't cut out for managing the national team or Liverpool. And that last point shouldn't be so damning, because most managers wouldn't meet the demands of those jobs, and I think he's better than a lot of the other plodders like Bruce, Hughes, Pardew and Fat Sam who keep getting jobs despite failing.

Colback's Orange Tufts
USA USA USA (Pulisic)
USA USA USA (Pulisic)

Post by Colback's Orange Tufts » Tue May 15, 2018 3:05 pm

Hodgson is one of those managers the press took a dislike to (at Liverpool then England). There's a sneering attitude to British managers' achievements abroad, so was a bit of "whats he ever done"

I'm not sure the average fan shares the dislike though, he seems like a decent fella. Sure he wasn't the best at Anfield or the Euros but he's not a bad manager
Sharing articles no-one reads since 2012

ColbacksFlamingBarnet
Shelvey's Precious

Post by ColbacksFlamingBarnet » Tue May 15, 2018 5:14 pm

I'm over Colo wrote: I've always had a lot of respect for him. Unlike most of his British peers, he managed in other countries, has helped a number of mediocre sides overachieve (Fulham's run to the Europa League final deserved way more attention and credit), but he wasn't cut out for managing the national team or Liverpool. And that last point shouldn't be so damning, because most managers wouldn't meet the demands of those jobs, and I think he's better than a lot of the other plodders like Bruce, Hughes, Pardew and Fat Sam who keep getting jobs despite failing.
I genuinely wonder what PL teams are gonna do when this batch pop there clogs. Get monk in?

overseasTOON
Uruguay (Nunez)
Uruguay (Nunez)

Post by overseasTOON » Tue May 15, 2018 7:51 pm

ColbacksFlamingBarnet wrote:
I'm over Colo wrote: I've always had a lot of respect for him. Unlike most of his British peers, he managed in other countries, has helped a number of mediocre sides overachieve (Fulham's run to the Europa League final deserved way more attention and credit), but he wasn't cut out for managing the national team or Liverpool. And that last point shouldn't be so damning, because most managers wouldn't meet the demands of those jobs, and I think he's better than a lot of the other plodders like Bruce, Hughes, Pardew and Fat Sam who keep getting jobs despite failing.
I genuinely wonder what PL teams are gonna do when this batch pop there clogs. Get monk in?
I predict the return of Curbishley.

Unless he's dead already of course. Is he?

RIP Curbishley just in case.

Colly
Belgium (Lukaku)
Belgium (Lukaku)

Post by Colly » Wed May 16, 2018 6:00 am

overseasTOON wrote:
ColbacksFlamingBarnet wrote:
I predict the return of Curbishley.

Unless he's dead already of course. Is he?

RIP Curbishley just in case.
[tweet][/tweet]

He's good.

biggeordiedave
Living in his head rent free
Living in his head rent free

Post by biggeordiedave » Wed May 16, 2018 7:41 am

Who couldn't like Roy Hodgson?

Kindly deeds done for free!