Spain manager sacked

Valentino's fast feet
Senegal (Aboubakar)
Senegal (Aboubakar)

Spain manager sacked

Post by Valentino's fast feet » Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:32 am

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/44467548

Agrees to take over at Real Madrid after the world cup and is sacked the next day. Bizarre. Maybe they think he's not going to be completely focused on the tournament, dunno. Chelsea did the same with conte and Italy, man u did the same with van gaal and Holland. Its certainly not unheard of.

Can't imagine they will bring anyone in before the tournament now. I just hope when they do search for a replacement, they don't look this far north.
Previously CIH/Cabella's Invincible Hair

Don Sholeone
Brazil (Neymar)
Brazil (Neymar)

Re: Spain manager sacked

Post by Don Sholeone » Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:57 am

Classic cutting off your nose to spite your face moment, to do so days before the WC is insane though!

Maybe Enrique will be the quickest and easiest solution, I've seen Wenger linked aswell, imagine that as a last hurrah.

Toondes
f uck tha police
f uck tha police

Post by Toondes » Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:07 am

They said it was because he didn’t tell them he was negotiating a deal with Real Madrid. Fair play to them.
# stolen from nufc.com :)

Toondes
f uck tha police
f uck tha police

Post by Toondes » Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:07 am

Ps - why do i have an Iranian flag under my username ?

TBC
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by TBC » Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:10 am

Surely they'd be best just keeping the existing coaching staff in place and promote from within until the end of the WC?

Bringing in a completely new manager with new ideas could derail their entire tournament.

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:19 am

Toondes wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:07 am
They said it was because he didn’t tell them he was negotiating a deal with Real Madrid. Fair play to them.
Why should he tell them? They're an employer, he's the employee. If I was offered a job by another company I wouldn't tell my current boss that I was leaving until everything was finalised, not sure why football is seen as different. Players negotiate terms at new clubs all the time before fees are agreed between clubs.

Seems a bizzare by Spain, they've nothing to gain by doing this.
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

overseasTOON
Uruguay (Nunez)
Uruguay (Nunez)

Post by overseasTOON » Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:23 am

TBC wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:10 am
Surely they'd be best just keeping the existing coaching staff in place and promote from within until the end of the WC?

Bringing in a completely new manager with new ideas could derail their entire tournament.
I just drew Iran in the office sweepstakes.

Here's hoping!

Toondes
f uck tha police
f uck tha police

Post by Toondes » Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:27 am

Blještav Benny wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:19 am
Toondes wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:07 am
Why should he tell them? They're an employer, he's the employee. If I was offered a job by another company I wouldn't tell my current boss that I was leaving until everything was finalised, not sure why football is seen as different. Players negotiate terms at new clubs all the time before fees are agreed between clubs.

Probably because he’s just agreed to take another job a week before the World Cup. His focus should be solely on that . I’d feel pretty pissed off too.

Toondes
f uck tha police
f uck tha police

Post by Toondes » Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:29 am

OverseersmademesupportenglandTOON wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:23 am
TBC wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:10 am

Here's hoping!
Do you know why I have an Iran flag on my avatar ? Did I get them in the sweepstake or something ?

overseasTOON
Uruguay (Nunez)
Uruguay (Nunez)

Post by overseasTOON » Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:32 am

Toondes wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:29 am
Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:23 am

Here's hoping!
Do you know why I have an Iran flag on my avatar ? Did I get them in the sweepstake or something ?
Most likely you've got Iran in the TF sweepstake.

It could be worse

Toondes
f uck tha police
f uck tha police

Post by Toondes » Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:36 am

Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:32 am
Toondes wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:29 am

Most likely you've got Iran in the TF sweepstake.

It could be worse
<laugh> Not much

Valentino's fast feet
Senegal (Aboubakar)
Senegal (Aboubakar)

Post by Valentino's fast feet » Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:44 am

Yeah you'd imagine that they'd promote from within for the world cup. Celades the U21's manager rumoured to be taking charge for the time being, but it's all speculation at this point. He used be a brilliant assistant manager on FM tho.
Previously CIH/Cabella's Invincible Hair

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:56 pm

Toondes wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:27 am
Blještav Benny wrote:

Probably because he’s just agreed to take another job a week before the World Cup. His focus should be solely on that . I’d feel pretty pissed off too.
Still not seeing the issue. He can agree to another job and still be committed to helping Spain do as well as possible.

On a related note, he nearly became Wolves manager last year apparently. His loss <laugh>
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

seatonsluicetoon
Tribal Elder
Tribal Elder

Post by seatonsluicetoon » Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:29 pm

According to a few journalists there’s talk that the powers that be in Spain were concerned that he would use his position as national coach to run the Barcelona players into the ground with training exercises in order to weaken them before the new season. Apparently the players have absolutely no concerns about that. It’s old men in suits causing the problems.
Supercalifragilisticexpiameobi

Remember Colo
Ancient Forum Relic
Ancient Forum Relic

Post by Remember Colo » Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:54 pm

Toondes wrote:
Blještav Benny wrote:

Exactly. It is a little different compared to other job situations where you're negotiating a new job, and when that's finalized, you change from the old to the new. In this case he was hoping to do it while still keeping the old job. I mean, it's not as if Real Madrid competes against the national team like the financial or insurance sectors do, but by the same token, because they're not competitors, he probably could have told the Spanish federation what he was pursuing if he really did care about maintaining a relationship with them.

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:23 pm

Eu estou Colo wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:54 pm
Toondes wrote:

Exactly. It is a little different compared to other job situations where you're negotiating a new job, and when that's finalized, you change from the old to the new. In this case he was hoping to do it while still keeping the old job. I mean, it's not as if Real Madrid competes against the national team like the financial or insurance sectors do, but by the same token, because they're not competitors, he probably could have told the Spanish federation what he was pursuing if he really did care about maintaining a relationship with them.
If Spain had a bad world cup they'd have sacked him without a seconds thought, without caring about any relationship between the two of them.

Remember Colo
Ancient Forum Relic
Ancient Forum Relic

Post by Remember Colo » Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:48 pm

Blještav Benny wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:23 pm
Eu estou Colo wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:54 pm

If Spain had a bad world cup they'd have sacked him without a seconds thought, without caring about any relationship between the two of them.
Oh I know, I don't disagree with what he did - he had to look out for himself. Just mean that I can also see where they came from, and also why it's hard to make the comparison to normal job situations.

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:06 pm

Eu estou Colo wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:48 pm
Blještav Benny wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:23 pm

Oh I know, I don't disagree with what he did - he had to look out for himself. Just mean that I can also see where they came from, and also why it's hard to make the comparison to normal job situations.
Suppose it gave us something more interesting to talk about than Russia v Saudi Arabia is likely to be <laugh>

Beware! Christian is running Atsu
Wood's Touch

Post by Beware! Christian is running Atsu » Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:30 pm

Got to be honest I side with the Spanish FA on this.

By all accounts Lopetegui was going to sign an extension for two more years in charge of the national team with the contract just needing signing. So for him to go, along with only finding out 5 minutes before and Reals refusal of postponing the announcement it is a complete lack of respect for the Spanish FA.

overseasTOON
Uruguay (Nunez)
Uruguay (Nunez)

Post by overseasTOON » Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:05 pm

Blještav Benny wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:06 pm
Eu estou Colo wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:48 pm

Suppose it gave us something more interesting to talk about than Russia v Saudi Arabia is likely to be <laugh>
Chebureki vs Balila