World Cup 2018 Match Thread

Don Sholeone
Brazil (Neymar)
Brazil (Neymar)

Re: World Cup 2018 Match Thread

Post by Don Sholeone » Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:55 pm

Eu estou Colo wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:42 pm
Also, I know I don't want to be the cliche North American judging footballer toughness, but unless your leg is broken or they can't stop your bleeding, do what you can on the pitch instead of leaving your side to play with 10.

I disagree, the problem with that is it fucks you tactically, if you go off the team know to play to cover the disadvantage, if you stay on then you keep the same shape but have a weakened player that can be exploited more than if he wasn't on the pitch

overseasTOON
Uruguay (Nunez)
Uruguay (Nunez)

Post by overseasTOON » Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:57 pm

House across the valley from me is setting off fireworks.

Either a Croatian household or just thought f*** it, they probably won't last till fireworks night.

daib0
Inter-Forum Gamemaster
Inter-Forum Gamemaster
Location: Spain (Pamplona) - England (Reading, when back home)

Post by daib0 » Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:57 pm

Game of two halves, and extra time England just too tired ... Croatia just about deserved it
but don't particularly like Croatia though - find them nigglying and annoyingly cunning, playing to the 'foul threshold' so many times to thwart oponents
A friendly Reading FC fan! He is a moderator here: http://www.extremefootballforum.com/forum

Deleted User

Post by Deleted User » Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:06 pm

Don Sholeone wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:50 pm
There is an arrogance still about the England team, I do think they believe they are better than they are and I think that leads to a lack of urgency at times and we look like we are just waiting for something to happen rather than trying to make something happen, it's been a fun ride and we could only play who were put on front of us but it was an easy route at the end of the day which I think papers over the cracks a little, still they have done well to get there but overall I think we just lack that killer quality, especially in midfield, think we tend to forget the likes of Kane, Alli and Sterling have De Bruynes and Eriksens feeding them at club level but nobody in there at International, and NUFC bias a side it's kinda why I personally really wanted Shelvey in the squad, I'm not saying he's as good as the previous mentioned midfielders but he adds something this team lacks.
I agree with you completely - no plan b, no real passers of the ball, Stirling's fast but no end product, but most of all we had no leader for when things for tough.

Remember Colo
Ancient Forum Relic
Ancient Forum Relic

Post by Remember Colo » Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:35 pm

Edison Heisen wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:53 pm
Eu estou Colo wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:42 pm
Also, I know I don't want to be the cliche North American judging footballer toughness, but unless your leg is broken or they can't stop your bleeding, do what you can on the pitch instead of leaving your side to play with 10.
Have you ever tried to run with a torn groin? It's literally impossible to even stand
Actually I have, and you're right, I'd have to lift my leg just to get onto the couch.

I was wrong to exaggerate like that (and didn't yet know what his injury was). It was a stupid thing to post because Trippier wasn't a good example of the problem, though I do think more players could play through minor in-game injuries.

Tsi
Suisse (topless man)
Suisse (topless man)

Post by Tsi » Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:04 pm

daib0 wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:57 pm
Game of two halves, and extra time England just too tired ... Croatia just about deserved it
but don't particularly like Croatia though - find them nigglying and annoyingly cunning, playing to the 'foul threshold' so many times to thwart oponents
Found that with most teams once they got the lead.

Valentino's fast feet
Senegal (Aboubakar)
Senegal (Aboubakar)

Post by Valentino's fast feet » Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:14 pm

Six weeks ago I don't think a single England fan would have expected a semi final, let alone be disappointed by being knocked out here. We've had a great tournament, with a young squad. Admittedly without really pulling up trees, but it's a hell of a lot to build on.
Previously CIH/Cabella's Invincible Hair

Chappy
10 Champs Silver
10 Champs Silver

Post by Chappy » Thu Jul 12, 2018 1:43 am

Gutted obviously but I'd have ripped your arm off for the semis if you'd offered me that before the tournament. We weren't expected to do s*** but surpassed all expectations and made the last 4. Can't remember enjoying a World Cup this much, possibly '98. But they did the nation proud and I'm looking forward to the future under Southgate <ok>
It’s the noise, the passion, the feeling of belonging, the pride in your city.

bodacious benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by bodacious benny » Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:04 am

Having slept on it two things come to mind.

1. England don't have the quality in midfield to control games against the better aodes.

2. Kane, Alli and Trippier will be f***ed for the start of the season, which helps us.
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

lassassinblanc
Netherlands (Gini)
Netherlands (Gini)

Post by lassassinblanc » Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:50 am

I think Media got carried away which may have sipped into the players a little.

In all fairness England didn't play anyone of real note until Croatia and came undone .

The only teams England beat in this tournament were Tunisia (needing a last minute goal), Panama (a team a Toon Forum XI could give a game) and Sweden (who were limited but I feel if had a decent striker may have punished them).

I will say whatever Dalic said at half time worked as Croatia were magnificent and totally changed the game.

I agree England don't have any quality in midfield, they have hardworking players like Henderson but they won't turn games for you the way the likes of Modric, Rakitic, Brozovic would.

I'll agree on 2nd point too the Spurs lads may not be fully fit, can't see Trippier being fit though
I'll Hazard a guess

Toondes
f uck tha police
f uck tha police

Post by Toondes » Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:19 am

Thought Henderson was rubbish last night. I stopped counting at 7 the amount of times he just punted the ball forward to no one and that was the 1st half.
People saying be proud , this was the best and probably easiest run to the final we were ever likely to get and we fell apart playing an average Croatia side. They have a couple decent players but other than that we’re nowt special. Same old England , always disappointing . Played two decent teams and lost them both. The media bandwagon will tell us how we are world beaters though.
# stolen from nufc.com :)

TBC
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by TBC » Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:05 am

Toondes wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:19 am
Thought Henderson was rubbish last night. I stopped counting at 7 the amount of times he just punted the ball forward to no one and that was the 1st half.
People saying be proud , this was the best and probably easiest run to the final we were ever likely to get and we fell apart playing an average Croatia side. They have a couple decent players but other than that we’re nowt special. Same old England , always disappointing . Played two decent teams and lost them both. The media bandwagon will tell us how we are world beaters though.
THIS. The amount of people on twitter etc saying we should be proud and can't complain cause we reached a semi final is ridiculous.

Hjl
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by Hjl » Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:09 am

TBC wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:05 am
Toondes wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:19 am
THIS. The amount of people on twitter etc saying we should be proud and can't complain cause we reached a semi final is ridiculous.
I dont understand, we shouldnt be proud unless we reached the final? won it? won three back to back? ofcourse we should be proud! we matched our second best ever result!

bodacious benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by bodacious benny » Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:18 am

Croatia are a decent side (a bit better than average) and the likes of Modric, Rakitic and Mandzukic could walk into a lot of teams.

That said, the domestic equivalent to last nights results would be us losing an FA Cup Semi-Final to Leicester or Everton. Yes they're good teams but you know it's a great chance to reach the final. Whereas if you'd played Man C or Spurs you'd probably have realistically expected defeat before the game.
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

lassassinblanc
Netherlands (Gini)
Netherlands (Gini)

Post by lassassinblanc » Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:06 pm

Interesting stat: England only had 1 shot on target in open play during the knockout phase, during group phase they had 5. Saudi Arabia had 5 against Egypt.
I'll Hazard a guess

bodacious benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by bodacious benny » Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:08 pm

lblancsson wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:06 pm
Interesting stat: England only had 1 shot on target in open play during the knockout phase, during group phase they had 5. Saudi Arabia had 5 against Egypt.
Lack of creativity was always going to be a problem.

Toondes
f uck tha police
f uck tha police

Post by Toondes » Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:13 pm

Hjl wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:09 am
TBC wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:05 am

I dont understand, we shouldnt be proud unless we reached the final? won it? won three back to back? ofcourse we should be proud! we matched our second best ever result!
Each to their own but I dont feel proud limping out of another tournament . Realistically we didn’t really play well
# stolen from nufc.com :)

overseasTOON
Uruguay (Nunez)
Uruguay (Nunez)

Post by overseasTOON » Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:17 pm

To the English fans who can't feel proud of England's progress in the World Cup tournament.

Try being a f&%$£@g Scotland supporter <gent>

The Deluded Pablo Diego Jose Francisco
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Post by The Deluded Pablo Diego Jose Francisco » Thu Jul 12, 2018 1:02 pm

overseasTOON wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:17 pm
To the English fans who can't feel proud of England's progress in the World Cup tournament.

If you think being a Scotland supporter is hard, try being a Newcas... oh wait <coat>

overseasTOON
Uruguay (Nunez)
Uruguay (Nunez)

Post by overseasTOON » Thu Jul 12, 2018 1:03 pm

The Deluded Pablo Diego Jose Francisco wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 1:02 pm
overseasTOON wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:17 pm

If you think being a Scotland supporter is hard, try being a Newcas... oh wait <coat>
<laugh>

I'm so screwed