World Cup 2018 Match Thread

User avatar
The Deluded Pablo Diego Jose Francisco
Forum Legend
Forum Legend
Posts: 8960
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:08 pm

Re: World Cup 2018 Match Thread

Post by The Deluded Pablo Diego Jose Francisco » Sun Jul 15, 2018 4:28 pm

Lloris <laugh>

User avatar
TBC
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster
Posts: 3009
Joined: Wed Jan 29, 2014 1:05 pm
Location: Newcastle

Re: World Cup 2018 Match Thread

Post by TBC » Sun Jul 15, 2018 4:34 pm

I remember saying on this forum that I didn’t think Lloris was world class as he drops too many clangers, and at the time a lot of people disagreed. Stand by it.
Image

User avatar
The Deluded Pablo Diego Jose Francisco
Forum Legend
Forum Legend
Posts: 8960
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:08 pm

Re: World Cup 2018 Match Thread

Post by The Deluded Pablo Diego Jose Francisco » Sun Jul 15, 2018 4:57 pm

TBC wrote:
Sun Jul 15, 2018 4:34 pm
I remember saying on this forum that I didn’t think Lloris was world class as he drops too many clangers, and at the time a lot of people disagreed. Stand by it.
This.

He is a top shot stopper but he does have a mistake or two in him, how some people put him in the same class as De Gea and Neuer is beyond me.

User avatar
Don Sholeone
BSN Correspondant
BSN Correspondant
Posts: 8901
Joined: Tue Feb 07, 2012 2:41 pm

Re: World Cup 2018 Match Thread

Post by Don Sholeone » Sun Jul 15, 2018 4:59 pm

Name me a world class keeper that hasn't ever made a mistake or 2.
TINO'S ON FIRE BARCELONA'S TERRIFIED
Image

User avatar
TBC
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster
Posts: 3009
Joined: Wed Jan 29, 2014 1:05 pm
Location: Newcastle

Re: World Cup 2018 Match Thread

Post by TBC » Sun Jul 15, 2018 5:11 pm

Don Sholeone wrote:
Sun Jul 15, 2018 4:59 pm
Name me a world class keeper that hasn't ever made a mistake or 2.
It isn’t just one or two though he’s made loads.

De Gea is still world class after a below par WC with a clanger, but Lloris makes far more and will continue to do so and for that reason isn’t.
Image

User avatar
Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Club Member
Whiskey Club Member
Posts: 25710
Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2012 11:18 am

Re: World Cup 2018 Match Thread

Post by Bodacious Benny » Sun Jul 15, 2018 5:28 pm

Pissing it down!
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

User avatar
ALF
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies
Posts: 20274
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2012 6:46 pm
Location: Down Sowf

Re: World Cup 2018 Match Thread

Post by ALF » Sun Jul 15, 2018 5:57 pm

Lloris has had a fantastic World Cup. He drops a few clangers but he's a world class goalkeeper without a doubt.

User avatar
Sir Bobby
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster
Posts: 3112
Joined: Sun Feb 05, 2012 8:23 pm
Location: Sheffield/Newcastle

Re: World Cup 2018 Match Thread

Post by Sir Bobby » Sun Jul 15, 2018 8:38 pm

Depends on your definition of world class really. There’s at least 5 or 6 better keepers in the world, that’s for absolutely sure

CIH
Tribal Elder
Tribal Elder
Posts: 1223
Joined: Thu Mar 12, 2015 1:07 am

Re: World Cup 2018 Match Thread

Post by CIH » Sun Jul 15, 2018 8:42 pm

Oblak, De Gea, Cortouis - potentially Allisson and Ederson. Neuer obviously, although he's towards the end of his career now, same with Buffon. Ter Stegan as well maybe? There's some class keepers around now, but Lloris is definitely in the conversation for me. Was a bad error, not the worst we've seen recently, but the fact it was in the world cup final highlights it more - same with Karius in the CL. The fact that in this case it wasn't all that costly probably doesn't make it as bad overall.

User avatar
TJR
10 Champs Gold
10 Champs Gold
Posts: 11314
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2012 4:41 pm
Location: Newcastle
Contact:

Re: World Cup 2018 Match Thread

Post by TJR » Sun Jul 15, 2018 11:09 pm

Fair play to France. They were deserved winners in the end.

However VAR was a f***ing joke. Horrendous decision to refer that to VAR nevermind show slow motion replay. Never in a million years a pen. That was a truly awful decision and changed the game.

User avatar
Heisen
Stallsenberg
Stallsenberg
Posts: 9214
Joined: Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:21 am

Re: World Cup 2018 Match Thread

Post by Heisen » Sun Jul 15, 2018 11:21 pm

CIH wrote:
Sun Jul 15, 2018 8:42 pm
Oblak, De Gea, Cortouis - potentially Allisson and Ederson. Neuer obviously, although he's towards the end of his career now, same with Buffon. Ter Stegan as well maybe? There's some class keepers around now, but Lloris is definitely in the conversation for me. Was a bad error, not the worst we've seen recently, but the fact it was in the world cup final highlights it more - same with Karius in the CL. The fact that in this case it wasn't all that costly probably doesn't make it as bad overall.
Neuer is only 32, he'll easily play for another 5 or 6 years at a top level.
Image

CIH
Tribal Elder
Tribal Elder
Posts: 1223
Joined: Thu Mar 12, 2015 1:07 am

Re: World Cup 2018 Match Thread

Post by CIH » Sun Jul 15, 2018 11:47 pm

Edison Heisen wrote:
Sun Jul 15, 2018 11:21 pm
CIH wrote:
Sun Jul 15, 2018 8:42 pm
Oblak, De Gea, Cortouis - potentially Allisson and Ederson. Neuer obviously, although he's towards the end of his career now, same with Buffon. Ter Stegan as well maybe? There's some class keepers around now, but Lloris is definitely in the conversation for me. Was a bad error, not the worst we've seen recently, but the fact it was in the world cup final highlights it more - same with Karius in the CL. The fact that in this case it wasn't all that costly probably doesn't make it as bad overall.
Neuer is only 32, he'll easily play for another 5 or 6 years at a top level.
Not sure about easily, but fair play on that one. Erroneously thought he was considerably older than that. Would you say he's still in the top 3 keepers in the world? Not saying outright he's not, genuinely curious. He's no doubt one of, if not the best, in the last decade or so.

User avatar
Heisen
Stallsenberg
Stallsenberg
Posts: 9214
Joined: Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:21 am

Re: World Cup 2018 Match Thread

Post by Heisen » Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:19 am

CIH wrote:
Sun Jul 15, 2018 11:47 pm
Edison Heisen wrote:
Sun Jul 15, 2018 11:21 pm


Neuer is only 32, he'll easily play for another 5 or 6 years at a top level.
Not sure about easily, but fair play on that one. Erroneously thought he was considerably older than that. Would you say he's still in the top 3 keepers in the world? Not saying outright he's not, genuinely curious. He's no doubt one of, if not the best, in the last decade or so.
Maybe top 5, but not top 3, not anymore. On his day he was an outstanding goalkeeper but he's far too injury prone for a keeper now. Not to say he isn't a fantastic goalkeeper, but you are right that he is probably starting to wind down now.

De Gea, Ter Stegen and Oblak all ahead of him for me. Maybe even Courtois and Alisson aswell.
Image

User avatar
jpg
Forum Legend
Forum Legend
Posts: 8903
Joined: Mon Feb 20, 2012 2:38 pm
Location: :noitacoL

Re: World Cup 2018 Match Thread

Post by jpg » Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:38 am

Football wasn't the greatest but I would say it's been the most entertaining World Cup that I can remember. France had been the most consistent team throughout and were worthy winners.

User avatar
Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Club Member
Whiskey Club Member
Posts: 25710
Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2012 11:18 am

Re: World Cup 2018 Match Thread

Post by Bodacious Benny » Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:12 am

Japan Papa Goku wrote:
Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:38 am
Football wasn't the greatest but I would say it's been the most entertaining World Cup that I can remember. France had been the most consistent team throughout and were worthy winners.
Yeah, agree with that. Better than 2014 and 2010, can't really remember 2006. Japan and South Korea in 2002 was quite good from memory.

France or Belgium were the two who most deserved to win it IMO, as well as Croatia did I think Belgium were better.
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

User avatar
lassassinblanc
lementeurblanc
lementeurblanc
Posts: 983
Joined: Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:09 am
Location: Clairefontaine

Re: World Cup 2018 Match Thread

Post by lassassinblanc » Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:21 am

France were worthy winners the game against Argentina being the highlight for me.

Great final too one of the best I can remember
I'll Hazard a guess

User avatar
Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Club Member
Whiskey Club Member
Posts: 25710
Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2012 11:18 am

Re: World Cup 2018 Match Thread

Post by Bodacious Benny » Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:34 am

lblancsson wrote:
Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:21 am
France were worthy winners the game against Argentina being the highlight for me.

Great final too one of the best I can remember
Definitely the most entertaining and open final that I can remember.

One of my highlights was Spain 3-3 Portugal. My favorite goal was the Belgian counter-attack v Japan to win the match with the last kick of the game. Team goal (keeper to midfielder to winger, great dummy from Lukaku and Chadli there to slot home) and sealed a great comeback win.
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

Leo Still
Chancel New Member
Chancel New Member
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon Jul 16, 2018 12:54 pm

Re: World Cup 2018 Match Thread

Post by Leo Still » Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:01 pm

It was an interesting World Cup, I was rooting for France. Very pleased with the result. <dotheameobi> 777score

User avatar
Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Club Member
Whiskey Club Member
Posts: 25710
Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2012 11:18 am

Re: World Cup 2018 Match Thread

Post by Bodacious Benny » Mon Jul 16, 2018 2:00 pm

Changed my name back now that it's over...
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

User avatar
lassassinblanc
lementeurblanc
lementeurblanc
Posts: 983
Joined: Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:09 am
Location: Clairefontaine

Re: World Cup 2018 Match Thread

Post by lassassinblanc » Mon Jul 16, 2018 2:50 pm

Bodacious Benny wrote:
Mon Jul 16, 2018 2:00 pm
Changed my name back now that it's over...
Yeah changed mine back, instinctively putting in lassassinblanc to have to change it to lblancsson was getting a pain in the hoop.

If only I'd been France I wouldn't have had to change anything <fist>
I'll Hazard a guess

Post Reply