Ancient Forum Relic
Ancient Forum Relic

Re: Newcastle: The club where tomorrow never comes

Post by Remember Colo » Wed Jul 25, 2018 6:05 pm

omegaprimevkm wrote:
Wed Jul 25, 2018 2:53 pm
I'm over Colo wrote:
Wed Jul 25, 2018 2:38 pm

Oh I have no doubt that happens all too often in football, and he doesn't deserve receiving the benefit of the doubt when it comes to business dealings, I really just meant that money laundering would lend itself to artificially inflating the club's revenues in their accounting, when in fact they've been rightfully criticized as too low and below a lot of their league competitors.
Indeed, but then refuse to disclose purchase prices where possible and continually the excuse has been offered that NUFC can't financially compete, in particular with Watford, Burnley, Bournemouth etc. when they should be at least running the same speed in terms of consistency and salary as the likes of Everton, West Ham etc.
Totally agree on all of that. I get that he doesn't want to spend the amount other owners are, because the entire industry has gone crazy, and it's totally reasonable that someone who cares about a return on their investment doesn't want to spend more. But that's part and parcel of owning a PL football club right now, so he should just move on as soon as possible.

omegaprimevkm
Wilson's Loose Tooth

Post by omegaprimevkm » Thu Jul 26, 2018 8:44 am

I'm over Colo wrote:
Wed Jul 25, 2018 6:05 pm
omegaprimevkm wrote:
Wed Jul 25, 2018 2:53 pm

Indeed, but then refuse to disclose purchase prices where possible and continually the excuse has been offered that NUFC can't financially compete, in particular with Watford, Burnley, Bournemouth etc. when they should be at least running the same speed in terms of consistency and salary as the likes of Everton, West Ham etc.
Totally agree on all of that. I get that he doesn't want to spend the amount other owners are, because the entire industry has gone crazy, and it's totally reasonable that someone who cares about a return on their investment doesn't want to spend more. But that's part and parcel of owning a PL football club right now, so he should just move on as soon as possible.
And as far as I'm concerned, it's abundantly obvious that we aren't spending as much on our playing squad as those players, ignoring purchase prices, merely on salaries. I'd love someone to investigate seriously.

bodacious benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by bodacious benny » Thu Jul 26, 2018 12:20 pm

There's nobody there <laugh>
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

Colly
Belgium (Lukaku)
Belgium (Lukaku)

Post by Colly » Thu Jul 26, 2018 12:20 pm

I'm a Toon fan and I wouldn't have turned up for that...

bodacious benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by bodacious benny » Thu Jul 26, 2018 12:25 pm

Nor me <laugh>
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

Colly
Belgium (Lukaku)
Belgium (Lukaku)

Post by Colly » Thu Jul 26, 2018 12:42 pm

The daft thing is I'm a fan of Chi generally, she's an engineer which gives her way more grounding than most MPs, but this is just posturing nonsense. I don't even doubt she's a fan, but what exactly is she hoping to achieve?

Colback's Orange Tufts
USA USA USA (Pulisic)
USA USA USA (Pulisic)

Post by Colback's Orange Tufts » Thu Jul 26, 2018 1:16 pm

Colly wrote:
Thu Jul 26, 2018 12:42 pm
The daft thing is I'm a fan of Chi generally, she's an engineer which gives her way more grounding than most MPs, but this is just posturing nonsense. I don't even doubt she's a fan, but what exactly is she hoping to achieve?
This.

Football clubs are private businesses. Parliament can't really tell companies how they should choose to invest, they should be free to fail from monumentally under investing.

Sage has a big impact on the North East, but is Mr Ashley was running it like he runs NUFC would it be appropriate for MPs to demand they invest more?
Sharing articles no-one reads since 2012

bodacious benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by bodacious benny » Thu Jul 26, 2018 1:21 pm

Colback's Orange Tufts wrote:
Thu Jul 26, 2018 1:16 pm
Colly wrote:
Thu Jul 26, 2018 12:42 pm
This.

Football clubs are private businesses. Parliament can't really tell companies how they should choose to invest, they should be free to fail from monumentally under investing.

Sage has a big impact on the North East, but is Mr Ashley was running it like he runs NUFC would it be appropriate for MPs to demand they invest more?
Yeah I didn't see the point. Apparently it was to raise awareness about an issue that literally everybody knows about, and from a business/legal point of view Ashley doesn't appear to have done anything wrong so I'm not entirely sure what the 4 MPs sat there listening could do about it. Loads of our fans were/are kicking off about Ashley which they've every right to do so, but running a football club on a shoestring isn't illegal. Yes it's annoying for us fans but there's f*** all MPs can do about it.

Colback's Orange Tufts
USA USA USA (Pulisic)
USA USA USA (Pulisic)

Post by Colback's Orange Tufts » Thu Jul 26, 2018 1:23 pm

Bodacious Benny wrote:
Thu Jul 26, 2018 1:21 pm

This.

Yeah I didn't see the point. Apparently it was to raise awareness about an issue that literally everybody knows about, and from a business/legal point of view Ashley doesn't appear to have done anything wrong so I'm not entirely sure what the 4 MPs sat there listening could do about it. Loads of our fans were/are kicking off about Ashley which they've every right to do so, but running a football club on a shoestring isn't illegal. Yes it's annoying for us fans but there's **** all MPs can do about it.
It's good political campaigning like, although do labour MPs in Newcastle really need to fish for votes <laugh>

lassassinblanc
Netherlands (Gini)
Netherlands (Gini)

Post by lassassinblanc » Thu Jul 26, 2018 1:44 pm

Bodacious Benny wrote:
Thu Jul 26, 2018 1:21 pm

This.

Yeah I didn't see the point. Apparently it was to raise awareness about an issue that literally everybody knows about, and from a business/legal point of view Ashley doesn't appear to have done anything wrong so I'm not entirely sure what the 4 MPs sat there listening could do about it. Loads of our fans were/are kicking off about Ashley which they've every right to do so, but running a football club on a shoestring isn't illegal. Yes it's annoying for us fans but there's **** all MPs can do about it.
So your telling me we didn't sign Fabian Schar and bid for Muto because Theresa May rang up Ashley <scratch>
Last edited by lassassinblanc on Thu Jul 26, 2018 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'll Hazard a guess

Sir Bobby
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by Sir Bobby » Thu Jul 26, 2018 1:45 pm

Well you could quite easily argue that football teams are monopolies (and perhaps even monopsonies too) that have a low elasticity of demand which gives them a large ability to exploit customers (fans). There’s definitely a case for debating it seriously. Whether any reasonable ideas would come from a debate is a different matter.

Remember Colo
Ancient Forum Relic
Ancient Forum Relic

Post by Remember Colo » Thu Jul 26, 2018 1:51 pm

Sir Bobby wrote:
Thu Jul 26, 2018 1:45 pm
Well you could quite easily argue that football teams are monopolies (and perhaps even monopsonies too) that have a low elasticity of demand which gives them a large ability to exploit customers (fans). There’s definitely a case for debating it seriously. Whether any reasonable ideas would come from a debate is a different matter.
But I also don't see how the government could ever reasonably tell private businesses they should be taking a loss for the good of sport to keep pace with the competitors. That's a pretty ridiculous message, even though yes, the entire marketplace is ridiculous nowadays.

Colback's Orange Tufts
USA USA USA (Pulisic)
USA USA USA (Pulisic)

Post by Colback's Orange Tufts » Thu Jul 26, 2018 2:09 pm

Sir Bobby wrote:
Thu Jul 26, 2018 1:45 pm
You could argue that, but it really doesn't merit it under UK competition rules, even the local ones. I mean local to Newcastle are plenty of other football clubs never mind other sports.
Fundamentally its not under competitive for a company to underinvest. If there are monopolies its the big clubs hoovering up the assets just for hoarding

bodacious benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by bodacious benny » Sun Jul 29, 2018 11:25 am