NUFC close to breaking point. Rafa rightly lays into club.

Somebodys pinched my sombrero
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Re: NUFC close to breaking point. Rafa rightly lays into club.

Post by Somebodys pinched my sombrero » Mon Aug 06, 2018 8:59 am

Theses.

Nothing we can do with the Rafa/Ashley conundrum, other than ride the storm. Again. It'll be sorted at the end of the season one way or another.
Supporting the Toon since 1972.

omegaprimevkm
Wilson's Loose Tooth

Post by omegaprimevkm » Mon Aug 06, 2018 10:38 am

I don't know if anyone reads NUFC.com (I get most of my news on the club from there):

"Magpies in coma"

Sounding like something off the set list of a Geordie Smith's tribute band, that's the title of this article published in German magazine "Kicker" and helpfully translated by NUFC.com reader @jens1893:

How Newcastle United drives its own fans into madness

Magpies in coma - a lesson from the Premier League

A Premier League club that depends on player sales?

"Everything is going wrong off the pitch" says manager Rafa Benitez one week before the start of the season.

About a club that drives its own fans into madness.

In Newcastle it seems like there's never been a record-breaking Premiership TV contract. The club made its club record signing 13 years ago and signed its second most expensive players 22 years ago. Their names are Michael Owen and Alan Shearer. And yet the club somehow valiantly keeps its place in the richest league around.

This is how far it's come: A club has for years been a symbol of just about everything that's wrong with modern football and yet the consequences somehow sound romantic.

Newcastle United can be compared to Hamburg a little: Trophy winners on the domestic and international stage years ago, both still possess a big and emotional fan base, but yet both have been a mocked sleeping giant for years. Although it should be noted that Newcastle of late haven't only been sleeping, but lying in a coma as one of their fans recently put it in the Guardian. Back in the day he and everyone else was still dreaming about the Champions or at least the Europa League, nowadays the only thing they want is to wake up and see the club in the hands of someone other than Mike Ashley.

At the beginning, the fans liked this maniac - wasn't he one of them?

Ashley, who became a billionaire with Sports Direct, has owned NUFC since June 2007, or to say it bluntly: Has had the club in a stranglehold since. And that's despite it all starting off so beautifully: The then 42 year-old met up with fans in a pub, watched games in the club shirt and even once had a pint with them in his seat, which is prohibited in England. The club back then stated the beverage was non-alcoholic and, of course, was just handed to him. Many fans liked this maniac from the West Midlands, somehow and someway he was one of them if you ignore the size of his bank account. And didn't he love NUFC like they did?

Eleven years on, and one week before the start of the new Premier League season, the manager Benitez states things like "everything" off the pitch is going wrong. He had "no idea" if he was allowed to sign another player. "The fans should be concerned, I am very concerned." Newcastle, 10th in the Premier League as a promoted side a year ago, had just lost a friendly against Braga by the score of four to nil. No new signing featured.

In order to sign Muto from Mainz, Benitez first had to sell

In an age where Huddersfield can sign a center half from Monaco for €20m or when the pure status of being in the Premier League is enough to bank nearly €150m, like Newcastle did last year, that very same Newcastle has a transfer profit of nearly €20m.

In order to sign Muto Benitez first had to sell, the other new signings, such as the ex Hoffenheim man Schär, cost next nothing or came in on free transfers. How can this possibly be the case at a Premiership club, one of the richest in the world?

Let's go back to 2008, when Ashley publicly sipped a pint.

When the beloved manager Kevin Keegan, one day after the close of the transfer window, was told that the club, with Ashley being at the forefront, had secretly offered some of his players to other clubs, he furiously resigned. The fans protested and called for Ashley to sell the club. He did try to do so, roughly one year after he'd bought it, when he allegedly only found it was indebted after he'd done so. He publicly regretted his purchase, called it a "disaster for everyone" and said his money was lost, but just like in 2009 and 2017 there was no prospective buyer willing to meet his valuation of at least €450m.

Ashley has taken from them what they love and those in charge of the English game have no objections

And as long as it stays like this, he stays. In order to somewhat save his investment, he's for years only barely invested what might be necessary to keep the club in the lucrative top flight. Finish 6th or 16th? Ashley doesn't care. In 2016 Newcastle went down because Ashley only signed off on making funds for new signings available after it was too late. Those funds would've been available at Newcastle just like at every other club in that league.

And this is how one single one man has been paralysing a club, a club which drew in excess of 50k per home game even in the Championship, for a decade. This is how one single man hasn't awoken a sleeping giant, but rather knocked it out and driven its fans into madness in the process. They see what is possible with this club and with this manager, but the only person who could make their vision a reality just refuses to do so. He's taken from them what they love and those in charge of the English game have no objections. What happens when a private investor forgets, or even on purpose neglects, the interests of the club in pursuit of his own private interests? Newcastle fans know that all too well by now.

Benitez could walk at any minute, many fans would now join him

"People need to understand that we won't sign the player at the top of our list. We won't even bring in the guy who is our Plan B or Plan C" Benitez now openly dares to criticise Ashley's transfer policy. He can afford to do so: He led Newcastle back into the Premier League and kept them there in a remarkably solid fashion despite all problems.

He could walk away from the job at any point and could undoubtedly have a new job only shortly thereafter. His current contract expires in 2019 and he only wants to sign the new five-year extension that's been offered to him when he's been guaranteed investment into the academy and the training facility. And he knows the fans are on his side.

It all seems like Newcastle is steering towards the biggest power struggle of the Ashley era. Problems loom on the pitch (their final rehearsal for the season was a 0-1 home loss v Augsburg) and especially off it - a current stand-off about the squad bonuses just seems fitting considering the generally comatose condition the club finds itself in.

"When Rafa goes, we go" many Geordie faithful now despairingly say themselves. But after a decade of Ashley they know better than anyone that he could very much live with that.

Don Sholeone
Brazil (Neymar)
Brazil (Neymar)

Post by Don Sholeone » Mon Aug 06, 2018 10:28 pm

Apparently Ashley wrote a letter to parliament over the petition that was put forth

Valentino's fast feet
Senegal (Aboubakar)
Senegal (Aboubakar)

Post by Valentino's fast feet » Mon Aug 06, 2018 10:49 pm

Nice little dig at Sunderland in there
Previously CIH/Cabella's Invincible Hair

TJR
Mexico (Jiménez)
Mexico (Jiménez)

Post by TJR » Mon Aug 06, 2018 10:59 pm

Judging by that response it seems Ashley/Charnley/Barnes/Bishop are absolutely rattled. The pressure from all angles (manager, players, fans and politicians) seems to be getting to them.

bodacious benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by bodacious benny » Tue Aug 07, 2018 6:11 am

<urgh>
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

TBC
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by TBC » Tue Aug 07, 2018 7:35 am

TJR wrote:
Mon Aug 06, 2018 10:59 pm
Judging by that response it seems Ashley/Charnley/Barnes/Bishop are absolutely rattled. The pressure from all angles (manager, players, fans and politicians) seems to be getting to them.
This. Wonder if all the fans mocking these groups for being embarrassing and wasting their time will have second thoughts..

overseasTOON
Uruguay (Nunez)
Uruguay (Nunez)

Post by overseasTOON » Tue Aug 07, 2018 7:53 am

TBC wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 7:35 am
TJR wrote:
This. Wonder if all the fans mocking these groups for being embarrassing and wasting their time will have second thoughts..
Nope.

This letter doesn't prove he or his cabal are rattled at all by this fan pressure. He's simply using his right to reply because he was personally mentioned in a negative manner in the House of Commons by an MP.

Man from Wallsend
Chancel New Member
Chancel New Member

Post by Man from Wallsend » Tue Aug 07, 2018 7:56 am

I notice the classless slob didn't even have the courtesy to sign that letter himself. It was obviously produced by one of his lackeys.

Colly
Belgium (Lukaku)
Belgium (Lukaku)

Post by Colly » Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:28 am

overseasTOON wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 7:53 am
TBC wrote:

Nope.

This letter doesn't prove he or his cabal are rattled at all by this fan pressure. He's simply using his right to reply because he was personally mentioned in a negative manner in the House of Commons by an MP.
This.

Krully I forgot how to spell byzecdja

Post by Krully I forgot how to spell byzecdja » Tue Aug 07, 2018 9:37 am

Seems like a typical response to something that seems a waste of time to be brought up in a government house.

Blue & Maroon
France (Benzema)
France (Benzema)

Post by Blue & Maroon » Tue Aug 07, 2018 12:28 pm

TBC wrote:
TJR wrote:
It's a f***ing waste of parliaments/MPs time and an embarrassment. As s**** as his running of the football club is there is no way it should be brought before parliament or even get the slightest bit of attention from MPs. Joke.

bodacious benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by bodacious benny » Tue Aug 07, 2018 12:38 pm

I don't think it indicates that Ashley is in the least bit rattled <laugh>

These fan groups springing up out of nowhere are just claiming it as a victory.
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

Donkey Toon
Croatia (Modric)
Croatia (Modric)

Post by Donkey Toon » Tue Aug 07, 2018 1:40 pm

Blue & Maroon wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 12:28 pm
TBC wrote:

It's a f***ing waste of parliaments/MPs time and an embarrassment. As s**** as his running of the football club is there is no way it should be brought before parliament or even get the slightest bit of attention from MPs. Joke.
This. The government has more than enough pressing concerns to deal with without becoming involved in something like this. Embarrassment is too kind a word.

Remember Colo
Ancient Forum Relic
Ancient Forum Relic

Post by Remember Colo » Tue Aug 07, 2018 2:52 pm

Not to mention, if government were to get more involved in football club policy, they'd be much better served starting somewhere else than one of the very few fiscally responsible clubs.

bodacious benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by bodacious benny » Tue Aug 07, 2018 3:26 pm

The thing that I remember most about the issue when it was a raised in parliament (apart from there only being about 4 people there) was that she didn't even know how to pronounce Rafa's surname...

Donkey Toon
Croatia (Modric)
Croatia (Modric)

Post by Donkey Toon » Tue Aug 07, 2018 3:48 pm

I'm over Colo wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 2:52 pm
Not to mention, if government were to get more involved in football club policy, they'd be much better served starting somewhere else than one of the very few fiscally responsible clubs.
Spot on. <ok>

bodacious benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by bodacious benny » Tue Aug 07, 2018 3:55 pm

It strikes me that the 'force Ashley out' focus is the wrong approach, it has been tried and failed and will do so again. Fact of the matter is that he doesn't care, and from his point of view, why should he. If anything people's time would be better spent trying to tempt others in and showcase the club/fans/city. The only way he'll ever leave is if a buyer gives him what he wants, so showcase what's great about the club.

Slim999
Shelvey's Precious

Post by Slim999 » Tue Aug 07, 2018 4:14 pm

There can be I'm afraid to say it - only 1 solution to this issue if it plays out like this for another year

If Benitez walks next year - and we are stuck with Ashley's penny pinching - the time will have come for a mass boycott of the club / shirts / sales everything etc.

Lets see how a massively loss making NUFC floats Ashley's boat.

The valuation after this and relegation to Championship would be less then £200m / £150m

MA is adopting an extremely high risk attitude here - I would suggest he sells at a loss before he is publically humiliated down the line.

He has proved himself to be an incompetent owner and manager - who employs incompetents such as Charnley to do his bidding.

The club will never die - the fans will always be there waiting to come back

Remember Colo
Ancient Forum Relic
Ancient Forum Relic

Post by Remember Colo » Tue Aug 07, 2018 5:20 pm

Slim999 wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 4:14 pm
There can be I'm afraid to say it - only 1 solution to this issue if it plays out like this for another year

If Benitez walks next year - and we are stuck with Ashley's penny pinching - the time will have come for a mass boycott of the club / shirts / sales everything etc.

Lets see how a massively loss making NUFC floats Ashley's boat.

The valuation after this and relegation to Championship would be less then £200m / £150m

MA is adopting an extremely high risk attitude here - I would suggest he sells at a loss before he is publically humiliated down the line.

He has proved himself to be an incompetent owner and manager - who employs incompetents such as Charnley to do his bidding.

The club will never die - the fans will always be there waiting to come back
I agree he's taking foolish risks by chancing another relegation, but I think you might be overestimating his willingness to sell if the club valuation plummets. He's a stubborn *******, and intentionally cutting off our nose to spite our face with no assurances he'd be more likely to leave, not sure what the benefit is, but I can definitely envision the cost.