Salomon Rondon to sign this weekend? -- Salomon Swapped!

Remember Colo
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Re: Salomon Rondon to sign this weekend? -- Salomon Swapped!

Post by Remember Colo » Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:16 pm

Nobbys Trumpet wrote:
Tue Dec 18, 2018 3:53 pm
I rate him. This might be unpopular what I’m about to say, but, I think he works too hard off the ball. I love the fact he closes down the opposition defenders down but for me, he does it too much. He always seems knackered by 60mins and when chasing generally a lost cause half the time it takes that extra yard of pace away when you need it the most.

It must be hard for him being by himself up top all the time. He gets hardly any support and still manages to do a good job.

Probably the best we can ask for in the Summer if the takeover hasn’t happened.
I can't say whether he does it "too much" or not, but it is a bit perplexing considering it isn't as if the team plays heavy pressing tactics, so putting too much individual effort into that without an overall high pressing approach is maybe a bit of a waste.

Colly
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Post by Colly » Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:39 pm

Correct. Perez gets stick for not constantly chasing centre halves, but given we don't press making him chase shadows as defenders just pass the ball around him is hardly the best use for our number 10.

Remember Colo
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Post by Remember Colo » Wed Dec 19, 2018 7:39 pm

Colly wrote:
Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:39 pm
Correct. Perez gets stick for not constantly chasing centre halves, but given we don't press making him chase shadows as defenders just pass the ball around him is hardly the best use for our number 10.
I'll take it step further and say defensive ability/effort of strikers and CAMs is overrated in general. Unless you actually play a cohesive pressing system, or a player is legitimately irresponsible marking on set pieces and or takes a lot of fouls in dangerous locations, the amount of value a forward can provide on defense is substantially outweighed by the value they offer by scoring/creating. Which is partly why I get annoyed when people suggest Rafa's attacking player selection comes down to their defending - 1) I don't think that was ever it, 2) but if it were, then I think maybe he should change his priorities.

saves = survival
Tribal Elder
Tribal Elder

Post by saves = survival » Thu Jan 31, 2019 5:29 pm