Salomon Rondon to sign this weekend? -- Salomon Swapped!

Sanchino
http://thesaurus.com/browse/redundant
http://thesaurus.com/browse/redundant
Posts: 2246
Joined: Sun Feb 05, 2012 2:35 pm

Re: Salomon Rondon to sign this weekend? -- Salomon Swapped!

Post by Sanchino » Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:38 pm

vrabbit wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:15 pm
so as I mentioned in the introduce yourself thread, I come bearing 3 years of following Rondon at WBA. I followed his career a bit before that but definitely not as closely. I'm very excited about what this could turn into.

Fair warning that my positive outlook is heavily driven by two things: I'm a bit biased towards him because I'm Venezuelan (although I try to be as objective as possible) and because Rondon comes from one of the worse attacking sides I've ever seen in my life. For most of Pulis' tenure at WBA the main source of their goals was their set-pieces, and he didn't even get a full season without Pulis to get to play in an actual different setup (same roster) that might give him more chances. Even with that, and coming off a tough season in '16-17 that saw him score only once after the hat-trick vs Swansea, Rondon's numbers looked much better once Pulis was sacked (8 of his 10 goals and 3 of his 4 assists came post-Pulis). During his time under Pulis and even after it, West Brom were rarely able to create much in open play due to many reasons, most notably Pulis' philosophy of sitting deep back in their own field and not even worrying about possession, but also a criminal lack of creativity in the midfield. (I also need to mention that Rondon was often receiving the ball near midfield and being asked to win/hold the ball against multiple defenders until his teammates arrived - he got better at this as his time there went on.)

So Rondon joining Newcastle, and I understand some of you all have a lot of reservations about the roster and the improvements it needs, it's actually a massive improvement for my boy. Shelvey alone is a SIGNIFICANT improvement in the midfield and even if there are questions regarding Perez and where he fits best and whether he's a #10/CAM or something else ... He's infinite times a better partner than Rondon has ever had in the PL.

This is said a lot and sometimes dismissed as lazy analysis but it's actually somewhat accurate: if Rondon could score 10 goals in two different seasons with West Brom, he should definitely provide more goals for a squad that actually has a clear(er) idea as to how to go about scoring. I think he can reach double digits in the league alone. He isn't an injury liability and the effort is always there.

Really looking forward to this season!
Paisano!!! Mi gente good to see a fellow Venezuelan <diva> <diva>

I must say good analysis on Rondon too my countrymen! <ok>

Yeah that's what I'm thinking too you can't compare West Brom's team to ours as they were devoid of creativity and positive football under Pulis it was all defensive long ball route one style and Rondon is a good all-rounder he has a little bit of everything just needs to be more clinical like in his Zenit and Malaga days were he used to score 1 in 2/3 goals that would be a good return if he can get some assists and 10+ goals it would be a success. Shevely, Kenedy and Ritchie around him should provide the crosses, passes and ammunition he'll ne
Last edited by Sanchino on Mon Dec 17, 2018 7:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Don Sholeone
BSN Correspondant
BSN Correspondant
Posts: 9292
Joined: Tue Feb 07, 2012 2:41 pm

Re: Salomon Rondon to sign this weekend? -- Salomon Swapped!

Post by Don Sholeone » Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:41 pm

Sanchino wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:38 pm
vrabbit wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:15 pm
so as I mentioned in the introduce yourself thread, I come bearing 3 years of following Rondon at WBA. I followed his career a bit before that but definitely not as closely. I'm very excited about what this could turn into.

Fair warning that my positive outlook is heavily driven by two things: I'm a bit biased towards him because I'm Venezuelan (although I try to be as objective as possible) and because Rondon comes from one of the worse attacking sides I've ever seen in my life. For most of Pulis' tenure at WBA the main source of their goals was their set-pieces, and he didn't even get a full season without Pulis to get to play in an actual different setup (same roster) that might give him more chances. Even with that, and coming off a tough season in '16-17 that saw him score only once after the hat-trick vs Swansea, Rondon's numbers looked much better once Pulis was sacked (8 of his 10 goals and 3 of his 4 assists came post-Pulis). During his time under Pulis and even after it, West Brom were rarely able to create much in open play due to many reasons, most notably Pulis' philosophy of sitting deep back in their own field and not even worrying about possession, but also a criminal lack of creativity in the midfield. (I also need to mention that Rondon was often receiving the ball near midfield and being asked to win/hold the ball against multiple defenders until his teammates arrived - he got better at this as his time there went on.)

So Rondon joining Newcastle, and I understand some of you all have a lot of reservations about the roster and the improvements it needs, it's actually a massive improvement for my boy. Shelvey alone is a SIGNIFICANT improvement in the midfield and even if there are questions regarding Perez and where he fits best and whether he's a #10/CAM or something else ... He's infinite times a better partner than Rondon has ever had in the PL.

This is said a lot and sometimes dismissed as lazy analysis but it's actually somewhat accurate: if Rondon could score 10 goals in two different seasons with West Brom, he should definitely provide more goals for a squad that actually has a clear(er) idea as to how to go about scoring. I think he can reach double digits in the league alone. He isn't an injury liability and the effort is always there.

Really looking forward to this season!
Paisano!!! Mi gente good to see a fellow Venezuelan <diva> <diva>

I must say good analysis on Rondon too my countrymen! <ok>

Yeah that's what I'm thinking too you can't compare West Brom's team to ours as they were devoid of creativity and positive football under Pulis it was all defensive long ball route one style and Rondon is a good all-rounder he has a little bit of everything just needs to be more clinical like in his Zenit and Malaga days were he used to score 1 in 2/3 goals that would be a good return if he can get some assists and 10+ goals it would be a success. Shevely, Kenedy and Ritchie around him should provide the crosses, passes and ammunition he'll need.
<awe> <awe> <awe> <diva>

User avatar
krully
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster
Posts: 4693
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2012 4:14 pm
Location: Ireland

Re: Salomon Rondon to sign this weekend? -- Salomon Swapped!

Post by krully » Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:05 pm

I remember us producing more then a handful of super defensive preformances

CIH
Tribal Elder
Tribal Elder
Posts: 1788
Joined: Thu Mar 12, 2015 1:07 am

Re: Salomon Rondon to sign this weekend? -- Salomon Swapped!

Post by CIH » Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:12 pm

vrabbit wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:15 pm
Really looking forward to this season!
Any relation to B rabbit?

User avatar
omegaprimevkm
Aarons' Ailments
Posts: 198
Joined: Sun Jul 22, 2018 7:31 pm

Re: Salomon Rondon to sign this weekend? -- Salomon Swapped!

Post by omegaprimevkm » Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:27 am

Bodacious Benny wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 12:10 pm
omegaprimevkm wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:56 am


Aarons too. And I know Saivet started his career as a wide forward, although is an underwhelming CM choice now...
Saivet has gone on loan hasn't he?
Nope - shockingly, he's proving hard to shift from the wage bill, what we being an unnecessary signing in the first place. Longstaff is ahead in the pecking order.

Colly wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 12:10 pm
And Aarons really doesn't count. I'd have kept Saivet for centre mid cover but Rafa knows best, cough Thauvin cough.
Why not? He's a winger on the wage bill - unless you're accepting that he has no future at NUFC, which is a fair argument.

Colly
Forum Legend
Forum Legend
Posts: 5770
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2012 6:44 pm
Location: Billingham

Re: Salomon Rondon to sign this weekend? -- Salomon Swapped!

Post by Colly » Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:02 am

He's fit about 4 games a season, that isn't exactly reliable squad depth.

User avatar
vrabbit
Bruce's Cabbage
Posts: 245
Joined: Mon Aug 06, 2018 6:29 pm

Re: Salomon Rondon to sign this weekend? -- Salomon Swapped!

Post by vrabbit » Mon Dec 17, 2018 5:46 pm

thoughts on my boy so far?

it sure looks like he's starting to settle in after shaking off the rust of the mostly inactive pre-season and the injury setback. 4 goals in 12 league games (10 starts) projects to 11 at season's end if he can continue to stay healthy (which hasn't been an issue in prior seasons).

I was also taking a look at his numbers since joining the PL in the '15-'16 season and his current form (4 goals in his last 6 games) matches the best form he's had dating back to 2016 (Feb 2 thru March 6) when he also scored 4 times in a 6-game stretch (vs Swansea, at Everton, at Leicester, and vs Man U) for WBA.

User avatar
Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Club Member
Whiskey Club Member
Posts: 27569
Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2012 11:18 am

Re: Salomon Rondon to sign this weekend? -- Salomon Swapped!

Post by Bodacious Benny » Mon Dec 17, 2018 6:00 pm

Bodacious Benny wrote:
Mon Aug 06, 2018 5:50 pm
Happy with that.
These were my views back in August, think I stick by them <roll>
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

User avatar
Remember Colo
Forum Legend
Forum Legend
Posts: 9660
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2012 12:57 am
Location: Toronto

Re: Salomon Rondon to sign this weekend? -- Salomon Swapped!

Post by Remember Colo » Mon Dec 17, 2018 6:58 pm

In a vacuum I'm happy with his current form, and think with better attacking play around him he'd have even more goals - because his movement and skill level has been better than I expected. If he stays healthy and they improve behind him, on the wing or at fullback, I have no doubt he offers enough to stay up this season. Although I think the overall ins and outs at striker the past couple years has still been pretty baffling.

User avatar
Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Club Member
Whiskey Club Member
Posts: 27569
Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2012 11:18 am

Re: Salomon Rondon to sign this weekend? -- Salomon Swapped!

Post by Bodacious Benny » Mon Dec 17, 2018 7:00 pm

As I live in the midlands I’d seen / heard a fair bit about him which is why I didn’t join in with the ‘he’s s***’ mindset just because his record in a poor WBA team under Pulis wasn’t anything to write home about.
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

Sanchino
http://thesaurus.com/browse/redundant
http://thesaurus.com/browse/redundant
Posts: 2246
Joined: Sun Feb 05, 2012 2:35 pm

Re: Salomon Rondon to sign this weekend? -- Salomon Swapped!

Post by Sanchino » Mon Dec 17, 2018 7:23 pm

Don Sholeone wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:41 pm
Sanchino wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:38 pm


Paisano!!! Mi gente good to see a fellow Venezuelan <diva> <diva>

I must say good analysis on Rondon too my countrymen! <ok>

Yeah that's what I'm thinking too you can't compare West Brom's team to ours as they were devoid of creativity and positive football under Pulis it was all defensive long ball route one style and Rondon is a good all-rounder he has a little bit of everything just needs to be more clinical like in his Zenit and Malaga days were he used to score 1 in 2/3 goals that would be a good return if he can get some assists and 10+ goals it would be a success. Shevely, Kenedy and Ritchie around him should provide the crosses, passes and ammunition he'll need.
<awe> <awe> <awe> <diva>
<diva> <diva> <diva> . I always said from the get go Rondon was always going to be a good signing sure he anit a world beater and he anit the Venezuelan Alan Shearer just yet :bandit: <run> but he's good enough for our level right now (lower-half/mid-table pushing for potential top 10). As someone mentioned already aswell with better attacking play and support around this guy will have more assists and goals. If he finishes with 15+ goals this season which isn't unrealistic at all with his current form then the likes of Everton/West Ham/Leicester City will be sniffing around too and maybe a Arsenal/Spurs if they want back-up/target-men alternatives. Should definitely look to snap him up in the summer. Give West Brom Joselu + Manquillo plus 3mil.

User avatar
Hjl
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster
Posts: 3020
Joined: Wed Mar 23, 2016 12:46 pm

Re: Salomon Rondon to sign this weekend? -- Salomon Swapped!

Post by Hjl » Mon Dec 17, 2018 11:10 pm

11 goals eh? So 1 more than Perez last season, the worst striker in history.

User avatar
Tsi
10 Champs Gold
10 Champs Gold
Posts: 12216
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2012 8:08 pm
Location: Up North

Re: Salomon Rondon to sign this weekend? -- Salomon Swapped!

Post by Tsi » Mon Dec 17, 2018 11:33 pm

Hjl wrote:
Mon Dec 17, 2018 11:10 pm
11 goals eh? So 1 more than Perez last season, the worst striker in history.
You're obviously too young to remember Frank Pingel or George Riley <erk> and quite a few more :(

User avatar
krully
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster
Posts: 4693
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2012 4:14 pm
Location: Ireland

Re: Salomon Rondon to sign this weekend? -- Salomon Swapped!

Post by krully » Mon Dec 17, 2018 11:36 pm

Tsi wrote:
Mon Dec 17, 2018 11:33 pm
Hjl wrote:
Mon Dec 17, 2018 11:10 pm
11 goals eh? So 1 more than Perez last season, the worst striker in history.
You're obviously too young to remember Frank Pingel or George Riley <erk> and quite a few more :(
Worse

He's American 🏃🏃🏃

User avatar
Hjl
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster
Posts: 3020
Joined: Wed Mar 23, 2016 12:46 pm

Re: Salomon Rondon to sign this weekend? -- Salomon Swapped!

Post by Hjl » Mon Dec 17, 2018 11:53 pm

Tsi wrote:
Mon Dec 17, 2018 11:33 pm
Hjl wrote:
Mon Dec 17, 2018 11:10 pm
11 goals eh? So 1 more than Perez last season, the worst striker in history.
You're obviously too young to remember Frank Pingel or George Riley <erk> and quite a few more :(
I was bashing the Perez bashers

User avatar
Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Club Member
Whiskey Club Member
Posts: 27569
Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2012 11:18 am

Re: Salomon Rondon to sign this weekend? -- Salomon Swapped!

Post by Bodacious Benny » Tue Dec 18, 2018 6:30 am

He got 8 in the league.
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

Colly
Forum Legend
Forum Legend
Posts: 5770
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2012 6:44 pm
Location: Billingham

Re: Salomon Rondon to sign this weekend? -- Salomon Swapped!

Post by Colly » Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:05 am

I still think it's very early to judge, but I'm happy so far. He's had a few really good games, and a couple where he actually did nothing at all for the team, but some of that will just be him getting his fitness back. Just comes down to whether he can keep this current run up.

In terms of a permanent signing though I think it comes down to whether or not the buyout happens, because if it does I'd like to be looking younger and better. Maybe that big Serbian at Fulham...

User avatar
Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Club Member
Whiskey Club Member
Posts: 27569
Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2012 11:18 am

Re: Salomon Rondon to sign this weekend? -- Salomon Swapped!

Post by Bodacious Benny » Tue Dec 18, 2018 1:14 pm

Stop fishing Colly <roll>

Straight swap for Gayle would suit everyone.
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

Colly
Forum Legend
Forum Legend
Posts: 5770
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2012 6:44 pm
Location: Billingham

Re: Salomon Rondon to sign this weekend? -- Salomon Swapped!

Post by Colly » Tue Dec 18, 2018 1:48 pm

I wouldn't do such a thing. ;)

User avatar
Nobbys Trumpet
Tribal Elder
Tribal Elder
Posts: 1114
Joined: Wed Feb 08, 2012 7:47 am
Location: Newton Aycliffe

Re: Salomon Rondon to sign this weekend? -- Salomon Swapped!

Post by Nobbys Trumpet » Tue Dec 18, 2018 3:53 pm

I rate him. This might be unpopular what I’m about to say, but, I think he works too hard off the ball. I love the fact he closes down the opposition defenders down but for me, he does it too much. He always seems knackered by 60mins and when chasing generally a lost cause half the time it takes that extra yard of pace away when you need it the most.

It must be hard for him being by himself up top all the time. He gets hardly any support and still manages to do a good job.

Probably the best we can ask for in the Summer if the takeover hasn’t happened.
He who is not courageous enough to take risks will accomplish nothing in life.
Formerly - He Leapt About a Perch

Post Reply