Reading FC woes...

daib0
Inter-Forum Gamemaster
Inter-Forum Gamemaster
Location: Spain (Pamplona) - England (Reading, when back home)

Reading FC woes...

Post by daib0 » Tue Aug 21, 2018 6:49 pm

The 4th Official

Reading Players Seem Happy Just To Turn Up, Lose A Game & Get Paid For It

The start of the season has been tough for the Berkshire side, losing all three of their league fixtures and only scoring a single goal. Boos have been heard ringing around the Madejski after a 1-0 loss to Bolton on Saturday, and some fans are rapidly losing their patience with Paul Clement, after only 11 league games in charge. So what has caused these issues, I hear you ask. Well, here are just a few of the possible reasons.

Lack of money being invested

Clement hardly inherited the most talented squad in the league, so he would have hoped to be blessed with a significant budget in the summer window. Unfortunately, he wasn’t. The majority of his dealings this summer have been free transfers, excluding the deals for Sam Baldock and Marc McNulty, so Clement and Reading fans alike have reasons to be aggrieved by the lack of activity by the ‘billionaire’ owners.

The Royals does not have a good enough squad to survive comfortably in this league, as shown by the disappointing showing last season, so improvements have been a necessity. Other than Andy Yiadom at right back, none of the new signings have improved the squad too much, yet. However, the loan signing of Josh Sims is a shrewd piece of business, so hopefully, he can help change the fortunes of Reading.

Dominating games, no end product

Reading dominated the opening two fixtures this season, but couldn’t finish off the chances and put the game to bed, which ultimately cost the Royals. In both of the opening games they had so many opportunities to get the ball into the area and give the forwards a chance to put Reading ahead, but the delivery was poor, and the chances went begging.

It is going to cost the Royals a lot of points this season if they can’t improve the supply to the strikers. It was the same problem last season and look where Reading ended up. It is going to be a long, hard season for the club if they can’t create more clear-cut chances and capitalise on the games they are dominating.

Lack of positivity

Supporters went into the season with a sense of nervousness after last season’s showing, and understandably so. But it seems as if the players have also started in a negative frame of mind, almost expecting the worst, which is precisely what you don’t want at the start of a new season. Every time Reading concede, their heads drop, and nobody seems too bothered about whether they lose the game or not.

They all seem too happy just to turn up, lose a game and get paid for it. A few exceptions to this are Liam Moore, Mo Barrow and all the new signings (have not seen enough to judge just yet). Hopefully, results turn around and the atmosphere around the Madejski can improve in weeks to come.

Original article is here: https://the4thofficial.net/2018/08/read ... aid-for-it

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What do you guys think, looking in from the outside? Last season was Reading's worst league position finish in 15 years, after almost having been a yo-yo team between Premier/Championship. OK, you'll say, we should be grateful for a nice 21st century so far! But this season ... almost rock bottom (maybe QPR are even worse?!). But have we entered a downward spiral? If so, Division 1 awaits us next season. How do you see things? From a rather despondent Daib0!! <disgrace> <cry>
A friendly Reading FC fan! He is a moderator here: http://www.extremefootballforum.com/forum

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Re: Reading FC woes...

Post by Bodacious Benny » Tue Aug 21, 2018 6:54 pm

I wouldn't say you were a yo-yo team as you only got to the PL once didn't you? It seems you were fortunate to survive last season and a weak squad hasn't been improved so it'll be another season of struggle. Is Clement the right man to lead a relegation scrap in the Championship?
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

daib0
Inter-Forum Gamemaster
Inter-Forum Gamemaster

Post by daib0 » Tue Aug 21, 2018 7:09 pm

well it was twice; first time 2006-08 and then 2012-13... also losing play-off finalists twice and losing play-off SF... so by being a 'nearly' up team I've classed it as 'yo-yo'!
No, I'm not at all sure manager and board are at all geared up to a relegation scrap!!
A friendly Reading FC fan! He is a moderator here: http://www.extremefootballforum.com/forum

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Tue Aug 21, 2018 7:11 pm

daib0 wrote:
Tue Aug 21, 2018 7:09 pm
well it was twice; first time 2006-08 and then 2012-13... also losing play-off finalists twice and losing play-off SF... so by being a 'nearly' up team I've classed it as 'yo-yo'!
No, I'm not at all sure manager and board are at all geared up to a relegation scrap!!
What happened with Jaap Stam? He seemed to start off alright
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

daib0
Inter-Forum Gamemaster
Inter-Forum Gamemaster

Post by daib0 » Tue Aug 21, 2018 7:16 pm

Bodacious Benny wrote:
Tue Aug 21, 2018 7:11 pm
daib0 wrote:
Tue Aug 21, 2018 7:09 pm
What happened with Jaap Stam? He seemed to start off alright
Yep, but I think other teams just sussed us out in time. The idea of his passing football was fine, but unlike the Barcas etc. we didn't have quick enough and talented enough guys to open up and make incisive play despite many, many games having 60-70% possession ... confidence gradually got lost, then long spells last season we were basically playing the ball about in our own half - that's the stark truth!

omegaprimevkm
Wilson's Loose Tooth

Post by omegaprimevkm » Wed Aug 22, 2018 9:28 am

It sounds like Clement will get dumped sooner rather than later. Are the players buying into his style?

A team like Reading has no business losing to Bolton right now.

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Wed Aug 22, 2018 9:36 am

omegaprimevkm wrote:
Wed Aug 22, 2018 9:28 am
It sounds like Clement will get dumped sooner rather than later. Are the players buying into his style?

Bolton beat wba tbf. I wouldn't say Reading are any bigger or particularly better than Bolton.

overseasTOON
Uruguay (Nunez)
Uruguay (Nunez)

Post by overseasTOON » Wed Aug 22, 2018 9:36 am

omegaprimevkm wrote:
Wed Aug 22, 2018 9:28 am

Bolton won me £20 in that game :)

daib0
Inter-Forum Gamemaster
Inter-Forum Gamemaster

Post by daib0 » Wed Aug 22, 2018 10:40 am

the sort of soulsearching amongst fans is if we have been punching above our weight for a decade now, and if the bubble bursts...

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Wed Aug 22, 2018 12:16 pm

I don't think you've punched above your weight, but now the Championship is so strong you haven't really moved on. So mid/lower end Championship is your ceiling at the moment I'd say.

TJR
Mexico (Jiménez)
Mexico (Jiménez)

Post by TJR » Wed Aug 22, 2018 4:27 pm

Clement is almost as big a fraud as McClaren. How he keeps getting jobs is beyond me.

He's seemingly spent more time arguing with Darren Bemt on twitter than he setting up his side to win a football game.

daib0
Inter-Forum Gamemaster
Inter-Forum Gamemaster

Post by daib0 » Wed Aug 22, 2018 5:13 pm

TJR wrote:
Wed Aug 22, 2018 4:27 pm
Clement is almost as big a fraud as McClaren. How he keeps getting jobs is beyond me.

He's seemingly spent more time arguing with Darren Bemt on twitter than he setting up his side to win a football game.
can't argue with the Gold Medal winner last season! ;) <laugh>

omegaprimevkm
Wilson's Loose Tooth

Post by omegaprimevkm » Thu Aug 23, 2018 10:18 am

TJR wrote:
Wed Aug 22, 2018 4:27 pm

He's seemingly spent more time arguing with Darren Bint on twitter than he setting up his side to win a football game.
Fixed it