WEEKEND FOOTBALL - 31 AUGUST/2 SEPTEMBER 2018

Remember Colo
Ancient Forum Relic
Ancient Forum Relic

Re: WEEKEND FOOTBALL - 31 AUGUST/2 SEPTEMBER 2018

Post by Remember Colo » Thu Sep 06, 2018 3:11 pm

What has Rafa caused for Ashley? I keep hearing how Ashley wouldn't want to deal with another Rafa, but he still hasn't had to spend money, he still never has to answer for himself in the media, he's so detached from it all. As long as the manager overachieves with the budget given, he'll likely make him happy.

bodacious benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by bodacious benny » Thu Sep 06, 2018 3:15 pm

Yeah, I don't think that Rafa has made Ashley's life particularly difficult. Sure he's come out implying things or saying he wants money to spend or we can't move forward, but what manager doesn't / wouldn't say that?
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

Remember Colo
Ancient Forum Relic
Ancient Forum Relic

Post by Remember Colo » Thu Sep 06, 2018 3:51 pm

Bodacious Benny wrote:
Thu Sep 06, 2018 3:15 pm
Yeah, I don't think that Rafa has made Ashley's life particularly difficult. Sure he's come out implying things or saying he wants money to spend or we can't move forward, but what manager doesn't / wouldn't say that?
And what trouble has that caused Ashley anyway? If anything, having a manager serving as a proxy for the fans has only served to keep fans onside and keep butts in the seats. Seems win-win since he still doesn't reach into his pocket as a response to Rafa's demands.

bodacious benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by bodacious benny » Thu Sep 06, 2018 3:57 pm

Remember Colo wrote:
Thu Sep 06, 2018 3:51 pm
Bodacious Benny wrote:
Thu Sep 06, 2018 3:15 pm
And what trouble has that caused Ashley anyway? If anything, having a manager serving as a proxy for the fans has only served to keep fans onside and keep butts in the seats. Seems win-win since he still doesn't reach into his pocket as a response to Rafa's demands.
Yep, exactly. Even with recent discontent on social media (which he won't give a toss about) there's been nothing on the level of boycotts or protests etc. that we've seen in previous years.
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

ALF
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies

Post by ALF » Thu Sep 06, 2018 5:03 pm

I'd argue that Rafa has made it a very public Rafa vs Ashley argument which he knows the fans will back him in. It has driven the resentment through the roof.

Colly
Belgium (Lukaku)
Belgium (Lukaku)

Post by Colly » Thu Sep 06, 2018 5:19 pm

I think the local press has made it a very public feud, Rafa's just grumbled within some very set guidelines that stop well short of actual criticism.

As far as through the roof the chants in the 80th minute are back but he's never given a s*** about that.

overseasTOON
Uruguay (Nunez)
Uruguay (Nunez)

Post by overseasTOON » Thu Sep 06, 2018 5:33 pm

I'd say that Rafa is simply persistent in his comments to the media about his situation but he's never truly vociferous when stating them so they simply come across as a matter of fact.

It's a neat trick.

Remember Colo
Ancient Forum Relic
Ancient Forum Relic

Post by Remember Colo » Thu Sep 06, 2018 7:55 pm

ALF wrote:
Thu Sep 06, 2018 5:03 pm
I'd argue that Rafa has made it a very public Rafa vs Ashley argument which he knows the fans will back him in. It has driven the resentment through the roof.
Oh, it's very public, but I don't think Ashley cares that it is. What has it cost him? He doesn't have any shame, or care if he's criticized by fans, manager, press or pundits - at least enough to do anything but respond in a letter or interview once a year.
And the fact that it's very public means Rafa keeps the fans' support, fans keep coming (more than they might have if they didn't think the manager or players were on their side), and ultimately gets what he wants too.