Ancient Forum Relic
Ancient Forum Relic

Re: WEEKEND FOOTBALL - 31 AUGUST/2 SEPTEMBER 2018

Post by Remember Colo » Tue Sep 04, 2018 3:30 pm

Sanchino wrote:
Tue Sep 04, 2018 12:16 pm
Ol' Dirty Bas Dost wrote:
Mon Sep 03, 2018 10:48 pm
I had no problems letting Mitro away, because I knew we wouldn't play him or get the best out of him. What I have a problem with is getting a decent price for him and not replacing him with more than Rondon. Rondon is a fine player but we need someone he can play understudy to.
I would say Rondon is a sort of 1 in 3 player if you look at his record in La Liga and Russia. But yeah I agree with your point Rondon isn't the long-term answer and eventually it'll be good to have someone who doesn't cost peanuts or is Rafa's plan B and we actually spend more than 16 million on a top quality striker but with the Fat Man that's unlikely anytime soon. <urgh>
I'll admit I've liked the look of Rondon so far, more than I expected, but if we were to use other leagues as reference for Mitro, he was better than 1 in 3. As others have said though, I'd prefer having both, and even though the amount we got from Mitro was very respectable, what's the point of selling off your best existing striker for a good price if you're not going to reinvest it.

vrabbit
Wilson's Loose Tooth

Post by vrabbit » Tue Sep 04, 2018 4:03 pm

gawalls wrote:
Mon Sep 03, 2018 7:59 pm
vrabbit wrote:
Sun Sep 02, 2018 5:19 am
I love how people on here love to bring up Mitrovic's goals at Fulham without mentioning/comparing the competition and thinking for one second whether he'd have scored 4 goals for us so far if he had started instead of Joselu/Rondon and our other 10 players had performed the exact same way they have up to now.

But by all means keep up the pointless bitching.
Mitros premiership record is 15 goals out of 47 appearances so far. Championship - even with his poor time with us he has 18 out of 49 and 17 out of 40 for Serbia.

It's about time people at least accept he'll get you around an average of 1 in 3 consistently if used correctly, something we could very much do with.
so we agree then <ok>

Remember Colo
Ancient Forum Relic
Ancient Forum Relic

Post by Remember Colo » Tue Sep 04, 2018 7:01 pm

vrabbit wrote:
Tue Sep 04, 2018 4:03 pm
gawalls wrote:

Mitros premiership record is 15 goals out of 47 appearances so far. Championship - even with his poor time with us he has 18 out of 49 and 17 out of 40 for Serbia.

It's about time people at least accept he'll get you around an average of 1 in 3 consistently if used correctly, something we could very much do with.
so we agree then <ok>
My issue is that Rafa hardly ever used him before deciding he didn't have a use for him. Given the performance of the alternatives chosen over him (in the PL - Gayle admittedly did well in the Championship season), and the fact Rondon doesn't seem remarkably dissimilar in style, the profits added to Ashley's coffers don't seem like better value.

Deleted User

Post by Deleted User » Tue Sep 04, 2018 7:45 pm

vrabbit wrote:
gawalls wrote:

so we agree then <ok>
We actually do about how he's used, I have my own opinions about Rafa on that one which I never write online because I did once on the chronicle and got called a Mackem by everyone.

What I don't like is next year Rafa will be gone and so will Mitro, the money from mitro's sale still won't be spent and will be several steps backwards - maybe even in the championship.

Colly
Belgium (Lukaku)
Belgium (Lukaku)

Post by Colly » Tue Sep 04, 2018 9:26 pm

gawalls wrote:
Tue Sep 04, 2018 7:45 pm
vrabbit wrote:

so we agree then <ok>
We actually do about how he's used, I have my own opinions about Rafa on that one which I never write online because I did once on the chronicle and got called a Mackem by everyone.

What I don't like is next year Rafa will be gone and so will Mitro, the money from mitro's sale still won't be spent and will be several steps backwards - maybe even in the championship.
Let loose, we're not the f***ing Chronicle here. We're even allowed to say Ben Arfa is the best 5 a side player we've ever had but a flawed mess on a big pitch...

ALF
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies

Post by ALF » Tue Sep 04, 2018 9:43 pm

gawalls wrote:
Tue Sep 04, 2018 7:45 pm
vrabbit wrote:

so we agree then <ok>

He's overly stubborn and doesn't want to look like he was wrong about a player.

With Lazaar being included in the squad list, I saw some tweets saying how Rafa was amazing at reintegrating fringe players and getting the best out of them. It's a borderline cult following now.

vrabbit
Wilson's Loose Tooth

Post by vrabbit » Tue Sep 04, 2018 10:50 pm

Remember Colo wrote:
Tue Sep 04, 2018 7:01 pm
vrabbit wrote:

so we agree then <ok>
My issue is that Rafa hardly ever used him before deciding he didn't have a use for him. Given the performance of the alternatives chosen over him (in the PL - Gayle admittedly did well in the Championship season), and the fact Rondon doesn't seem remarkably dissimilar in style, the profits added to Ashley's coffers don't seem like better value.
yeah this issue precedes me so I'm not going to act like I'm expert on the subject. From where I stand Rafa decided Mitro wasn't a fit on whatever basis he had and I don't know if I agree with said basis or not. Was it really and issue of attitude and training discipline or is there something else to it? I'd say that Rondon and Mitrovic, in theory, could both perform the same duties Rafa seems to have asked of Rondon so far this season. Why he didn't trust Mitro to do them I don't know. I also don't know how much Mitro wanted the move to Fulham after his loan spell with them last season since it was so successful (and seems to have continued success so far this season).

As far as Ashley is concerned I think we're definitely all on the same page there.

And gawalls I agree with Colly, let it rip.

Remember Colo
Ancient Forum Relic
Ancient Forum Relic

Post by Remember Colo » Wed Sep 05, 2018 4:49 am

vrabbit wrote:
Tue Sep 04, 2018 10:50 pm
Remember Colo wrote:

yeah this issue precedes me so I'm not going to act like I'm expert on the subject. From where I stand Rafa decided Mitro wasn't a fit on whatever basis he had and I don't know if I agree with said basis or not. Was it really and issue of attitude and training discipline or is there something else to it? I'd say that Rondon and Mitrovic, in theory, could both perform the same duties Rafa seems to have asked of Rondon so far this season. Why he didn't trust Mitro to do them I don't know. I also don't know how much Mitro wanted the move to Fulham after his loan spell with them last season since it was so successful (and seems to have continued success so far this season).

As far as Ashley is concerned I think we're definitely all on the same page there.

I think we agree then! Obviously like you said, there are a lot of questions that will probably never be answered, and it's why we've always had to try and guess why Rafa didn't trust him with a more prominent role. I think his handling of him is maybe his biggest mistake in his time as manager, but that doesn't mean I'm not grateful to have him as manager, or that I don't think his other strengths outweigh that. I think we can criticize decisions he makes while still appreciating he has the job.

Deleted User

Post by Deleted User » Wed Sep 05, 2018 6:36 am

vrabbit wrote:
Remember Colo wrote:

Ok... I will always say Rafa had done well for us and been a good manager but I'm looking forward to him leaving because I think he's a good short term manager but he's no good for a long term basis.

He needs a lot of money for players and never seems to have enough, he has certain players he just blindly ignores and some he constantly plays and he ignores the youth players up until they leave.

Some managers can build a system around their squad and others have to build their squad around their system - I put Rafa in the latter category.

On top of this, the last 2 seasons I've never been so bored of football - both Newcastle and the premier league.

overseasTOON
Uruguay (Nunez)
Uruguay (Nunez)

Post by overseasTOON » Wed Sep 05, 2018 7:28 am

gawalls wrote:
Wed Sep 05, 2018 6:36 am
vrabbit wrote:

Ok... I will always say Rafa had done well for us and been a good manager but I'm looking forward to him leaving because I think he's a good short term manager but he's no good for a long term basis.

He needs a lot of money for players and never seems to have enough, he has certain players he just blindly ignores and some he constantly plays and he ignores the youth players up until they leave.

Some managers can build a system around their squad and others have to build their squad around their system - I put Rafa in the latter category.

On top of this, the last 2 seasons I've never been so bored of football - both Newcastle and the premier league.
Mackem <gent>

Colly
Belgium (Lukaku)
Belgium (Lukaku)

Post by Colly » Wed Sep 05, 2018 9:23 am

Beat me to it. Ruddy oT.

ALF
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies

Post by ALF » Wed Sep 05, 2018 4:36 pm

gawalls wrote:
vrabbit wrote:

Agree 100%. Whilst I worry what could happen if Benitez leaves, part of me would really look forward to a young, forward thinking manager replacing him.

overseasTOON
Uruguay (Nunez)
Uruguay (Nunez)

Post by overseasTOON » Wed Sep 05, 2018 4:40 pm

ALF wrote:
Wed Sep 05, 2018 4:36 pm
gawalls wrote:

Agree 100%. Whilst I worry what could happen if Benitez leaves, part of me would really look forward to a young, forward thinking manager replacing him.
That young Nolan chap seems to be available now.

The Deluded Pablo Diego Jose Francisco
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Post by The Deluded Pablo Diego Jose Francisco » Wed Sep 05, 2018 4:53 pm

ALF wrote:
gawalls wrote:

Now that's something that will never happen under Ashley, we'll be straight back to bang average/borderline s*** managers in charge.

ALF
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies

Post by ALF » Wed Sep 05, 2018 5:11 pm

The Deluded Pablo Diego Jose Francisco wrote:
Wed Sep 05, 2018 4:53 pm
ALF wrote:

Now that's something that will never happen under Ashley, we'll be straight back to bang average/borderline s*** managers in charge.
I don't know. I think a young manager would want lower wages and less experience means they'd have less power to demand extra budget.

And if they do well a bigger club pays their compensation.

Heisen
Stallsenberg
Stallsenberg

Post by Heisen » Wed Sep 05, 2018 8:37 pm

If (when) Rafa goes do you really think Ashley would ever try and appoint a manager who would do the same to him as what Rafa has done?

I would not at all be surprised if Allardyce was brought back. Ashley has spoken openly about how he regrets sacking him, and Allardyce would take any f***ing job going and is seemingly very pally with him all of a sudden. He also gives Ashley everything he'd want - bare bones Premier League survival every year. It's almost inevitable actually.

Colly
Belgium (Lukaku)
Belgium (Lukaku)

Post by Colly » Wed Sep 05, 2018 8:42 pm

Is that true, I've never seen anything about Ashley regretting it?

Besides which Big Sam was sending us down after spending a comparative s*** ton of money, he's anything but a survival guarantee.

Heisen
Stallsenberg
Stallsenberg

Post by Heisen » Wed Sep 05, 2018 8:51 pm

He said in that interview last year he shouldn't have sacked him.

Plus I would argue we weren't going down under him. Infact I think we were like 11th when he got sacked, it was the fact we lost about 9 out of Keegan's first 10 games that almost had us in relegation trouble. Although I'm glad he got sacked, I still haven't seen as bad an NUFC performance as the 0-0 away to Stoke that got him the boot.

Colly
Belgium (Lukaku)
Belgium (Lukaku)

Post by Colly » Wed Sep 05, 2018 9:51 pm

Derby got 11 points that season, 4 of which were from Big Sam's Newcastle, which is unsurprisingly a record in terms of % of points taken from one team. It would have been 6 were it not for a fortunate last minute penalty in the home game. The results were getting worse and worse, and had we not gone that year we certainly would have the following season.

bodacious benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by bodacious benny » Thu Sep 06, 2018 6:00 am

Well we wouldn't have to change our style of play if allardyce came back <roll>
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?