Watford valued same as Newcastle!

Burnopfield
Wood's Touch

Watford valued same as Newcastle!

Post by Burnopfield » Sat Sep 01, 2018 12:05 pm

See some American company value Watford at same as Newcastle! Surely not
https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/foot ... -36dr8d5wm

Shows what we could be worth with new owners who are interested in developing club rather than crippling it

paratiddies
Wood's Touch

Re: Watford valued same as Newcastle!

Post by paratiddies » Sat Sep 01, 2018 1:46 pm

They look like they’ll be a premier league team next year, not so sure about us

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Sat Sep 01, 2018 1:48 pm

Tbf I've always thought what Ashley is wanting for the club is more than fair. Not sure why everyone kicks off when he says he wants £400m.
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

Remember Colo
Ancient Forum Relic
Ancient Forum Relic

Post by Remember Colo » Sat Sep 01, 2018 2:30 pm

Bodacious Benny wrote:
Sat Sep 01, 2018 1:48 pm
Tbf I've always thought what Ashley is wanting for the club is more than fair. Not sure why everyone kicks off when he says he wants £400m.
Agreed. It's a fraction of what other PL clubs have been sold for lately, and most of the value should be in the opportunity and access to PL revenues. And just because he doesn't better utilize marketing revenue, new owners obviously could find ways to increase it.

Colback's Orange Tufts
USA USA USA (Pulisic)
USA USA USA (Pulisic)

Post by Colback's Orange Tufts » Sat Sep 01, 2018 2:35 pm

Bodacious Benny wrote:
Does the 400m include or exclude the debt? Otherwise the enterprise value is like 550m, which is a material difference
Sharing articles no-one reads since 2012

overseasTOON
Uruguay (Nunez)
Uruguay (Nunez)

Post by overseasTOON » Sat Sep 01, 2018 2:56 pm

Watford does have a London Overground connection now.

Deleted User

Post by Deleted User » Sat Sep 01, 2018 3:04 pm

overseasTOON wrote:
Sat Sep 01, 2018 2:56 pm
Watford does have a London Overground connection now.
And is a settled premiere league club as some people have pointed out. i don't think it's that unbelievable.

Bruuuuuuuuce ()
Tribal Elder
Tribal Elder

Post by Bruuuuuuuuce () » Sun Sep 02, 2018 10:09 am

Of course they are.

Our stadium outweighs theirs in valuation

but their squad smashes ours out the park.

Colback's Orange Tufts
USA USA USA (Pulisic)
USA USA USA (Pulisic)

Post by Colback's Orange Tufts » Sun Sep 02, 2018 2:25 pm

Luque wrote:
Sun Sep 02, 2018 10:09 am
Of course they are.

Our stadium outweighs theirs in valuation

but their squad smashes ours out the park.
21k in the London conurbation > 52k in Newcastle. I mean land prices are on thing. But the ability to get high paying corporate tickets to boxes more so.
Sharing articles no-one reads since 2012

Blue & Maroon
France (Benzema)
France (Benzema)

Post by Blue & Maroon » Sun Sep 02, 2018 4:16 pm

Why is this a surprise?

overseasTOON
Uruguay (Nunez)
Uruguay (Nunez)

Post by overseasTOON » Tue Sep 04, 2018 5:01 pm

I suppose Watford could claim to have the Harry Potter theme park/studio tour as well...

That's got to add a hefty cash injection to the valuation.

If Jimmy Nail had been a child wizard immortalised in cinema we'd be f***ing laughing and sold by now.

Donkey Toon
Croatia (Modric)
Croatia (Modric)

Post by Donkey Toon » Wed Sep 05, 2018 1:15 pm

I can see it now ... auf wiedersehen petronum!

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Fri Sep 07, 2018 2:29 pm

How could we be valued at so little, look at our trophy cabinet on the UEFA website (top right...)

https://www.uefa.com/teamsandplayers/te ... index.html
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

Colly
Belgium (Lukaku)
Belgium (Lukaku)

Post by Colly » Fri Sep 07, 2018 2:33 pm

I did the Barcelona stadium tour for the second time last week, and despite moving the trophy room they still have the Fairs Cup proudly on display...

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Fri Sep 07, 2018 2:34 pm

Barcelona probably need their own trophy stadium.

omegaprimevkm
Wilson's Loose Tooth

Post by omegaprimevkm » Fri Sep 07, 2018 2:40 pm

Remember Colo wrote:
Sat Sep 01, 2018 2:30 pm
Bodacious Benny wrote:
Agreed. It's a fraction of what other PL clubs have been sold for lately, and most of the value should be in the opportunity and access to PL revenues. And just because he doesn't better utilize marketing revenue, new owners obviously could find ways to increase it.
The squad and the debt structure at Newcastle mean the actual value can never be £400m. Hence the lack of interest in the club.

Remember Colo
Ancient Forum Relic
Ancient Forum Relic

Post by Remember Colo » Tue Sep 11, 2018 1:53 pm

omegaprimevkm wrote:
Fri Sep 07, 2018 2:40 pm
Remember Colo wrote:
Sat Sep 01, 2018 2:30 pm

The squad and the debt structure at Newcastle mean the actual value can never be £400m. Hence the lack of interest in the club.
But we're talking about the difference of over a billion dollars with the valuations of other PL clubs. Plus, a more affordable squad also means less guaranteed costs on the books. The squad is a temporary asset; league status, stadium, training facilities, existing fanbase, etc. is longer-term and more measurable. I guess my fear has always been that if a prospective owner balks at spending 300-400m for the club, how can you expect them to make huge outlays on operating it.

I know I'm oversimplifying it, and I agree the debt structure is a bit of an anchor on things, but I guess I don't trust a new owner is going to spend if that's too rich for their blood.
Last edited by Remember Colo on Tue Sep 11, 2018 6:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Tue Sep 11, 2018 2:03 pm

Remember Colo wrote:
Tue Sep 11, 2018 1:53 pm
omegaprimevkm wrote:
Fri Sep 07, 2018 2:40 pm

But we're talking about the difference of over a billion dollars with the valuations of other PL clubs. Plus, a more affordable squad also means less guaranteed costs on the books. The squad is a temporary asset; league status, stadium, training facilities, existing fanbase, etc. is longer-term and more measurable. I guess my fear has always been that if a prospective owner balks at spending 300-400m for the club, how can you expect them to make huge outlays on operating it.

I know I'm oversimplifying it, and I agree the debt structure is a bit of an anchor on things, but I guess I don't just don't trust a new owner is going to spend if that's too rich for their blood.
Agreed. That's what I thought when this Staveley group were quibbling over relegation clauses etc.

omegaprimevkm
Wilson's Loose Tooth

Post by omegaprimevkm » Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:50 pm

Bodacious Benny wrote:
Tue Sep 11, 2018 2:03 pm
Remember Colo wrote:
Tue Sep 11, 2018 1:53 pm

I know I'm oversimplifying it, and I agree the debt structure is a bit of an anchor on things, but I guess I don't just don't trust a new owner is going to spend if that's too rich for their blood.
Agreed. That's what I thought when this Staveley group were quibbling over relegation clauses etc.
As we have seen, a strong home fanbase is financially worthless - just change your club to playing in red and watch the money roll in from the far east.

The billion dollar difference comes from a club that has international interest to one that has none. This club currently has 0 reputation outside of the UK.

Sir Bobby
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by Sir Bobby » Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:03 pm

omegaprimevkm wrote:
Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:50 pm
Bodacious Benny wrote:
Tue Sep 11, 2018 2:03 pm

As we have seen, a strong home fanbase is financially worthless - just change your club to playing in red and watch the money roll in from the far east.

The billion dollar difference comes from a club that has international interest to one that has none. This club currently has 0 reputation outside of the UK.
0 is a bit much but agreed overall. International reputation counts for more than ticket sales on the whole. The difference between a full 25,000 stadium and a full 52,000 stadium (at the same ticket price of an average of £30) is about £15m. You could recover a good chunk of that revenue if you have a strong fan base in the Asian market