Best Newcastle squad

Colly
Belgium (Lukaku)
Belgium (Lukaku)

Best Newcastle squad

Post by Colly » Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:59 am

Since its understandably quiet round here in the international break I thought I'd stick this here and see how people got on? I know we've done the pick 11 voting thing before, but I like the idea of picking a squad and seeing who it throws up. "From the time you've been a supporter" makes things a bit interesting as I'm keen to see what the old boys say.

Colly
Belgium (Lukaku)
Belgium (Lukaku)

Re: Best Newcastle squad

Post by Colly » Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:05 am

Mine is in spoilers, don't want to influence...
SpoilerShow
Keepers: Given, Harper, Srnicek

Defenders: Watson, Beye, Woodgate, Coloccini, Albert, Faye, Beresford, Bernard

Midfielders: Solano, Milner, Speed, Lee, Tiote, Cabaye, Ginola, Robert

Forwards: Shearer, Ferdinand, Beardsley, Cole
Nothing majorly controversial, though I ummed and ahhed over my 4th CB for a while. Lascelles is on his way in there, and Steven Taylor was a possible, but I thought Abdoulaye Faye was immense when he played for us, even if he then went on to do absolutely nowt. I was very tempted to drop two full backs and put Milner and Solano there to free up some midfield spots, pathetic how badly we've neglected that area for 30 years.

Cole and Beardsley play together or not at all...

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:46 am

For me (and I don't vividly remember the Ferdinand, Cole, Ginola etc. days so I'm not including them as I'd be doing it based on what I heard they were like or footage I've seen since):
SpoilerShow
GK: Given, Harper, Dubravka

DEF: Woodgate, Lascelles, Colo, Taylor, Bernard, Hughes, Beye, Enrique

MID: Speed, Solano, Robert, Dyer, Shelvey, Cabaye, Milner, Tiote

FWD: Shearer, Bellamy, Ba, Remy

Some only did well for a short time, but I remember them doing well for that short time e.g. Beye and Remy. I could've stuck the likes of Watson and Lee in there but I'd be bullshitting if I said I can recall the best of them. Most of my time supporting us is from late Dalglish era onwards and the glory days of the likes of Gavilan, Cordone and Bassedas who don't quite make the list <laugh>
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

overseasTOON
Uruguay (Nunez)
Uruguay (Nunez)

Post by overseasTOON » Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:06 pm

SpoilerShow

Defenders: Watson, Barton, Woodgate, Coloccini, Albert, Peacock, Beresford, Howey

Midfielders: Solano, Ketsbaia, Speed, Lee, Tiote, Cabaye, Ginola, Clark

lassassinblanc
Netherlands (Gini)
Netherlands (Gini)

Post by lassassinblanc » Wed Sep 12, 2018 2:01 pm

Interesting
SpoilerShow
GK: Shay Given, Tim Krul, Pavel Srníček,

Shay the obvious choice for number 1, Pavel was one of my favorite players growing up so had to be in there, Was tough to choose between Krul and Harper but felt that with I had enough experience with Shay and Pavel and to give the 3rd spot to the more youthful keeper. Shaka Hislop also in the mix but behind Harps

DF: Jonathan Woodgate, Fabricio Coloccini, Phillipe Albert, Warren Barton, Jose Enrique,Oliver Bernard

When fit Woodgate was the best defender i've seen play for us, Colo and Albert again obvious choices, some unlucky to miss out Andy O'Brien more due his impressive partnership with Woody as is Steve Watson. Barton for right back a massive part of the entertainers can also cover cb if needed, Jose Enrique and Oliver Bernard for left back Beresford unlucky to miss out but he once told to me f*** off when I was 12 so I still hold that against him.

MF: Laurent Robert, Peter Beardsley,David Ginola, Yohan Cabaye, Gary Speed,Rob Lee, Cheick Tiote, Keiron Dyer,Nobby Solano

Getting the balance here was tough, but on his day Laurent Robert was phenomenal. Dyer could play anywhere in the midfield so there for versatility. centre mid has a lot of options to work with with Speed, Cheick, Lee and Cabaye all able to play in a number of roles. Ginola and Solano on right wing the latter having the ability to cover right back if needed. Beardsley again could play in a number of positions but given a free role behind striker he'd be the fulcrum of my squad.

players unlucky to miss out Temur Ketsbaia , Hatem Ben Afra, Kevin Nolan, Ruel Fox, Lee Clark

FW: Alan Shearer, Andy Cole, Les Ferdinand, Faustino Asprilla, Craig Bellamy,

Big Al and Sir Les obvious choices, Tino in there for craziness and flair, Andy Cole just a great option if needing a goal, my last choice is Craig Bellamy just again for his natural flair and work rate. Unlucky to miss out Cisse when he arrived from Freiburg for that first 6 months he was brilliant Demba Ba gets a mention too as does Shola more experience and likeability but I feel the 5 I chose would be more clinical.

1.Shay Given
2.Fabricio Coloccini
3.Warren Barton
4.Jose Enrique
5.Jonathan Woodgate
6.Yohan Cabaye
7.David Ginola
8.Gary Speed
9.Alan Shearer
10.Peter Beardsley
11.Laurent Robert
12.Pavel Srníček
13.Cheick Tiote
14.Rob Lee
15.Gary Speed
16.Phillipe Albert
17.Keiron Dyer
18.Les Ferdinand,
19.Craig Bellamy
20.Faustino Asprilla
21.Oliver Bernard
22.Nobby Solano
23.Tim Krul

Starting XI

--------------------Given-----------------
Barton--------Colo-------Woody----Enrique---
---------------------Speed---------------
--Ginola----------------------------------Robert--
---------------------Beardlsey---------------
--------------Shearer----------Ferdinand--

P.S. I know Speed was more of an attacking player but he could do a job as a holding player if needed
I'll Hazard a guess

ALF
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies

Post by ALF » Wed Sep 12, 2018 7:53 pm

Don't remember the entertainers era so can't include that. Mainly from Sir Bobby onwards.
SpoilerShow
Goalkeepers: Shay Given, Tim Krul, Martin Dubravka

Shay Given picks himself, arguably so does Krul as the other long term first choice. Dubravka gets the nod over the rest though as they've all been average at the absolute best.

Defenders: Aaron Hughes, Habib Beye, Jonathan Woodgate, Fabricio Coloccini, Jamaal Lascelles, Steven Taylor, Olivier Bernard, Paul Dummett

Why did we ever sell Aaron Hughes? What an awful decision that was! Habib Beye had 1 very good season, just gives him the edge over the rest of the RB's we've had. Nearly picked Simpson here. Woodgate is the best CB we've ever had, easy choice. Coloccini at his peak was a brilliant player. Lascelles has the potential and has made a great start to his career here. Taylor was here a long time and was nearly an England international. Bernard and Dummett just edge out Enrique at LB.

Midfielders: Hatem Ben Arfa, Nobby Solano, Kieron Dyer, Gary Speed, Cheick Tiote, Yohan Cabaye, Laurent Robert, James Milner

A lot more competition in midfield. Ben Arfa has to be there for me, on his day he was magic. Solano was another we should never have sold, fantastic player. Dyer is a seriously underrated player of ours from recent years, his injury problems make people forget he played 250 games for us and at his peak was unbelievable. Speedo was a key player in midfield under Sir Bobby, solid as anything and popped up with goals too. Tiote was the best defensive midfielder in the Premier League for a short time. Cabaye might have left on bad terms but he could control games from the midfield. Laurent Robert had an absolute wand of a left boot. Was a rocket as well, just ask Oli Bernard. James Milner wasn't at his peak here but he was still a great player for us, was gutted when he was sold.

Strikers: Alan Shearer, Craig Bellamy, Andy Carroll, Ayoze Perez

That Shearer bloke did alright here. Bellamy was his legs for a few years and as a partnership they were unreal. For me they both pick themself. Carroll was absolutely unplayable when he was here. He went for £35m when that was still a lot of money. He was a one man wrecking ball. Perez is probably the most controversial pick in the squad, but he's been a mainstay and contributed a lot of important goals in a very tough time for the club. Whilst Ba and Remy had good spells, they didn't make any long term impact here. Cisse was here longer than them but was awful for most of that time.

Manager: Sir Bobby Robson

Wasn't even close...

Toondes
f uck tha police
f uck tha police

Post by Toondes » Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:01 pm

overseasTOON wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:06 pm
SpoilerShow

Defenders: Watson, Barton, Woodgate, Coloccini, Albert, Peacock, Beresford, Howey

Midfielders: Solano, Ketsbaia, Speed, Lee, Tiote, Cabaye, Ginola, Clark

Woodgate for Howey and that would be mine. Never really rated Steve Howey tbh
# stolen from nufc.com :)

Vaj
Dyslexia Untied: Flash League Champions
Dyslexia Untied: Flash League Champions

Post by Vaj » Thu Sep 13, 2018 12:41 pm

SpoilerShow
Goalkeepers

Given, Krul & Dubravka

Defenders

Debuchy, Beye, Coloccini, Woodgate, Lascelles, Enrique & Dummett

Midfielders

Dyer, Speed, Cabaye, Emre, Ben Arfa, Solano, Nolan, Robert & Shelvey

Strikers

Shearer, Cisse, Ba & Bellamy

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Thu Sep 13, 2018 12:43 pm

It's funny looking at people's squads how many players you forget e.g. for me I hadn't even considered Nolan and Debuchy!
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

lassassinblanc
Netherlands (Gini)
Netherlands (Gini)

Post by lassassinblanc » Thu Sep 13, 2018 12:56 pm

Bodacious Benny wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 12:43 pm
It's funny looking at people's squads how many players you forget e.g. for me I hadn't even considered Nolan and Debuchy!
I liked Debuchy but the way he left still irks me hence why I didn't pick him, plus I have Warren Barton there who imo was one the best attacking right backs we've had who also knew how to defend at times.

Noland was very unlucky, but I felt the likes Beardlsey offered more in terms of covering different positions
I'll Hazard a guess

Colly
Belgium (Lukaku)
Belgium (Lukaku)

Post by Colly » Thu Sep 13, 2018 1:55 pm

For me the interesting one not getting a look in among the "younger" teams is Andy Carroll. Again it might be to do with the way he left, but he was outstanding for us, and certainly the closest thing we've had to a Shearer since big Al. He and Bellamy were my reserve strikers.

Remember Colo
Ancient Forum Relic
Ancient Forum Relic

Post by Remember Colo » Thu Sep 13, 2018 2:18 pm

Colly wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 1:55 pm
For me the interesting one not getting a look in among the "younger" teams is Andy Carroll. Again it might be to do with the way he left, but he was outstanding for us, and certainly the closest thing we've had to a Shearer since big Al. He and Bellamy were my reserve strikers.
Pardew's first match, against Liverpool at home, he absolutely dominated, even scoring that long-range goal to make it 3-1 in added time. Was so exciting - then of course he was sold to them in a couple months. Probably partly due to that very match.

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Thu Sep 13, 2018 2:37 pm

I didn't pick him as I didn't think he was undeserving of a place, I'd just forgotten all about him when I picked my squad <laugh>

lassassinblanc
Netherlands (Gini)
Netherlands (Gini)

Post by lassassinblanc » Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:00 am

Yeah Carroll done very well for us but I remember the likes of Shearer, Cole, Sir Les Tino and Bellamy in their prime for us.

I'm not sure why I didn't mention him in my extended panel though as I did with Cisse and Ba. Perhaps as you say it was because of how he left similar to Debuchy but also that I just rated the Senegalese lads ahead of him.

As stated if any of 3 of them were to take a spot it would have been Papiss Cisse as I before he injured his knee he was a constant threat.
I'll Hazard a guess

Remember Colo
Ancient Forum Relic
Ancient Forum Relic

Post by Remember Colo » Fri Sep 14, 2018 2:15 pm

Don't get me wrong, me fawning over that Liverpool performance doesn't mean I thought he should be ranked ahead of any of those players you listed, I was just getting nostalgic.

Colly
Belgium (Lukaku)
Belgium (Lukaku)

Post by Colly » Fri Sep 14, 2018 2:22 pm

Like I said, I wouldn't have put him in my team because I'm an old jerk, but if I didn't have Cole and Beardsley to pick from I'd have had Carroll above Ba or Cisse.

Valentino's fast feet
Senegal (Aboubakar)
Senegal (Aboubakar)

Post by Valentino's fast feet » Fri Sep 14, 2018 4:02 pm

I was late to football entirely, and only started following Newcastle the season back in the prem after the first relegation. In my naivety I remember being really excited about Carroll, banging the goals in for years to come. I then followed that up by getting Cabaye on my first ever Newcastle shirt not long after we signed him. Learnt since then. My team is obviously limited because of that.
SpoilerShow
Goalkeepers

Krul, Harper, Dubravka

Defenders

Debuchy, Lascelles, Colocinni, Perch, R. Taylor, Enrique, Lejune, Dummett

Midfielders

Cabaye, Nolan, Ben Arfa, Jonas, Perez, Gouffran, Tiote, Wijnaldum

Strikers

Carroll, Ba, Remy, Cisse

I'd like to have included Shearer and Milner, but never actually watched them play for the club at times. Obviously there would be a lot more if that was the case, but it's not really the game. Shearer is a no brainer, and I personally just like Milner. Great player, regardless of what club he's at.
Previously CIH/Cabella's Invincible Hair

Colly
Belgium (Lukaku)
Belgium (Lukaku)

Post by Colly » Fri Sep 14, 2018 4:37 pm

Meh, I'm 35 and got excited about Carroll, he really was an exciting player and had he stayed on and injury free I think his goal record could be pretty special by now. I also had Cabaye's name on my shirt after just that Darlo friendly, so we've all done it...

omegaprimevkm
Wilson's Loose Tooth

Post by omegaprimevkm » Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:52 pm

Colly wrote:
Fri Sep 14, 2018 4:37 pm
Meh, I'm 35 and got excited about Carroll, he really was an exciting player and had he stayed on and injury free I think his goal record could be pretty special by now. I also had Cabaye's name on my shirt after just that Darlo friendly, so we've all done it...
A lot of ifs there, mate ;)

Asprillasfurcoat
Shelvey's Precious

Post by Asprillasfurcoat » Fri Sep 21, 2018 11:51 am

Goalkeepers

Krul, Given, Srincek

Defenders
Natrass, Albert, Lascelles, S Pearce, Kilkline, Woodgate, Bernard, W Barton

Midfielders
Gasgoine, Ginola, Hibbit, Speed, R Lee, Solano, Milner, G Peacock

Strikers
Shearer, Beardsley, Cole, MacDonald

(My heart said Asprilla, my head said Supermac)
What a player! What a signing! What a day for Newcastle United! .. actual BBC commentary from Moussa Sissoko's first game for Newcastle United