Match thread - NUFC v Leicester

Heisen
Stallsenberg
Stallsenberg

Re: Match thread - NUFC v Leicester

Post by Heisen » Sat Sep 29, 2018 5:32 pm

We are a Championship side masquerading as a PL side. Last season our fight, spirit and togetherness allowed us to punch above our weight but that seems to have deserted us this year, probably due to the fact they know Benitez is going at the end of the season, and the fact the fans are in open revolt against the owner.

We haven't at any point in this season looked the better side, and we're so devoid of quality there is virtually no hope of us nicking a win when we're playing poorly. At this stage I don't know if there's a worse side than us in the division. And don't give me the 'we've played the top 6' crap. We actually looked better in all of those games than we did against Palace, Cardiff and Leicester, three absolute bang average teams where we mustered a grand total of 0 goals and 10 shots on target.

At this stage anything other than a lengthy relegation scrap looks hugely unlikely, and I would be surprised if we didn't go down. The season is only in it's infancy but I genuinely can't see how we're going to score enough goals to stay up.

DDuc
Hewf, Hewf, Hewf, Tactical Inept Mince

Post by DDuc » Sat Sep 29, 2018 6:28 pm

Somebodys pinched my sombrero wrote:
Sat Sep 29, 2018 5:31 pm
Ive not been in the Benitez camp at all this season. His tactics, buys, subs, everything about us this season is s****. Yet people defend him to the hilt. He's part of a big problem. And don't say "Ashley doesn't back him". I wouldn't trust him with a huge sum of money given his track record here.
Going to OT next week. Not looking forward to it at all
Would you say Benitez's signings are underperforming relative to the amount of money spent on them?
Garrus Vakarian wrote:It's so easy to see the galaxy in black and white, but grey? I don't know what to do with grey...
My Ambition Knows No Bounds
Behold My Tl;dr Prowess

Crouching Shola Hidden Talent
Tribal Elder
Tribal Elder

Post by Crouching Shola Hidden Talent » Sat Sep 29, 2018 6:35 pm

Heisen wrote:
Sat Sep 29, 2018 5:32 pm
We are a Championship side masquerading as a PL side. Last season our fight, spirit and togetherness allowed us to punch above our weight but that seems to have deserted us this year, probably due to the fact they know Benitez is going at the end of the season, and the fact the fans are in open revolt against the owner.

We haven't at any point in this season looked the better side, and we're so devoid of quality there is virtually no hope of us nicking a win when we're playing poorly. At this stage I don't know if there's a worse side than us in the division. And don't give me the 'we've played the top 6' crap. We actually looked better in all of those games than we did against Palace, Cardiff and Leicester, three absolute bang average teams where we mustered a grand total of 0 goals and 10 shots on target.

At this stage anything other than a lengthy relegation scrap looks hugely unlikely, and I would be surprised if we didn't go down. The season is only in it's infancy but I genuinely can't see how we're going to score enough goals to stay up.
This is pretty much bang on.
There is no sin except stupidity.

Hjl
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by Hjl » Sat Sep 29, 2018 6:35 pm

DavideDuck wrote:
Sat Sep 29, 2018 6:28 pm
Ive not been in the Benitez camp at all this season. His tactics, buys, subs, everything about us this season is s****. Yet people defend him to the hilt. He's part of a big problem. And don't say "Ashley doesn't back him". I wouldn't trust him with a huge sum of money given his track record here.
Would you say Benitez's signings are underperforming relative to the amount of money spent on them?
Dubravka is doing awesome and he was cheap as chips. I'd say he has been the only stand out player for us this season.

Heisen
Stallsenberg
Stallsenberg

Post by Heisen » Sat Sep 29, 2018 7:00 pm

To blame Benitez and not Ashley is insanity. He hasn't been backed, Ashley basically gave him a lump sum at the start of the Championship season and that is still the basis of the squad now, two seasons later. It's insanity and nobody can even begin to suggest that is acceptable. It isn't, and it wouldn't be acceptable if it was any manager.

People saying 'he should be doing better with what he's got', I don't understand if you're watching the same players I am. They're all poor footballers. He has no choice. His tactics against the likes of Cardiff were questionable and it's maddening that we sit back 90% of the time, but it's time to face the facts that the players are simply not good enough to be competing week in, week out at this level. He got a tune out of some of them last season but that was never going to last. The likes of Diame, Clark and Yedlin wouldn't even get into the top 6 Championship sides.

Ashley is the problem, he is the cancer at the heart of the club and he's watching as it slowly destroys itself. Fans shouldn't be pointing the finger at each other, or Rafa, or even the players as it's not their fault they're being picked when they aren't good enough. It's Ashley who has caused all of this. I don't personally see the point with the protests as I feel it achieves nowt but by God it's good to see somebody doing something to get him out, rather than meekly sitting there week after week and accepting the way things are because this isn't even Newcastle United anymore. It's just a soulless corporate advertisement shell that happens to have a football team.

DDuc

Post by DDuc » Sat Sep 29, 2018 7:08 pm

Hjl wrote:
Sat Sep 29, 2018 6:35 pm
DavideDuck wrote:

Dubravka is doing awesome and he was cheap as chips. I'd say he has been the only stand out player for us this season.
I'd agree, but I also believe that none of this summer's signings have hardly failed to live up to expectations, mostly due to the fact we couldn't expect much to begin with considering the prices we signed them for. This is, of course, not even considering the likes of Dubravka and Fernandez.

To be honest I think criticizing Rafa's signings is a non-argument, especially since it's unclear how much sway he has over transfers to begin with.
Garrus Vakarian wrote:It's so easy to see the galaxy in black and white, but grey? I don't know what to do with grey...
Behold My Tl;dr Prowess

DDuc

Post by DDuc » Sat Sep 29, 2018 7:14 pm

Heisen wrote:
Sat Sep 29, 2018 7:00 pm
To blame Benitez and not Ashley is insanity. He hasn't been backed, Ashley basically gave him a lump sum at the start of the Championship season and that is still the basis of the squad now, two seasons later. It's insanity and nobody can even begin to suggest that is acceptable. It isn't, and it wouldn't be acceptable if it was any manager.

People saying 'he should be doing better with what he's got', I don't understand if you're watching the same players I am. They're all poor footballers. He has no choice. His tactics against the likes of Cardiff were questionable and it's maddening that we sit back 90% of the time, but it's time to face the facts that the players are simply not good enough to be competing week in, week out at this level. He got a tune out of some of them last season but that was never going to last. The likes of Diame, Clark and Yedlin wouldn't even get into the top 6 Championship sides.

Ashley is the problem, he is the cancer at the heart of the club and he's watching as it slowly destroys itself. Fans shouldn't be pointing the finger at each other, or Rafa, or even the players as it's not their fault they're being picked when they aren't good enough. It's Ashley who has caused all of this. I don't personally see the point with the protests as I feel it achieves nowt but by God it's good to see somebody doing something to get him out, rather than meekly sitting there week after week and accepting the way things are because this isn't even Newcastle United anymore. It's just a soulless corporate advertisement shell that happens to have a football team.
It's hard not to agree with this. I remember people last season saying we had a Championship squad, and this summer's editions hardly change that. Nevertheless, Rafa finished 10th with that squad which should be testament enough to his ability. As is often the case with football fans, I think a lot of people have short memories; it's not even October yet, the idea of sacking a manager of Rafa's proven quality at this point is absurd.
Behold My Tl;dr Prowess

Somebodys pinched my sombrero
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by Somebodys pinched my sombrero » Sat Sep 29, 2018 7:17 pm

DavideDuck wrote:
Muto looks ok but he won't play him. Joselu is a plodder, Murphy was a waste of £12 m imo. HEs wasted a fair bit I reckon. Gamez, manquillo, Lazaar, there's been a canny few.
It's not just his buys, it's his negativity. We beat Chelsea and arsenal at home last season with pretty much the same team. He's set up totally different now. Its boring and embarrassing. He takes Richie off most games when invariably he's our best player. Manquillo on today when we are two down. And how the hell he let Mitro go is beyond me. I like Rafa but he's not blameless.
Last edited by Somebodys pinched my sombrero on Sat Sep 29, 2018 7:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Supporting the Toon since 1972.

DDuc

Post by DDuc » Sat Sep 29, 2018 7:28 pm

Sat Sep 29, 2018 7:17 pm
DavideDuck wrote:

Muto looks ok but he won't play him. Joselu is a plodder, Murphy was a waste of £12 m imo. HEs wasted a fair bit I reckon. Gamez, manquillo, Lazaar, there's been a canny few.
Ah, I thought you were referring exclusively to this season. I feel like it's fair to think we could have got more out of Murphy by this point, but the other examples (minus Joselu) were all bought for fees below the 5mil mark (could be wrong). Think it's a bit harsh to judge him on Gamez considering we signed him in the Championship when we seemed be looking to shore the squad up in anticipation of a clogged fixture list.
Behold My Tl;dr Prowess

Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by Somebodys pinched my sombrero » Sat Sep 29, 2018 7:36 pm

DavideDuck wrote:
Sat Sep 29, 2018 7:28 pm
Sat Sep 29, 2018 7:17 pm

Ah, I thought you were referring exclusively to this season. I feel like it's fair to think we could have got more out of Murphy by this point, but the other examples (minus Joselu) were all bought for fees below the 5mil mark (could be wrong). Think it's a bit harsh to judge him on Gamez considering we signed him in the Championship when we seemed be looking to shore the squad up in anticipation of a clogged fixture list.
Sorry, added to my post above. NUFC is a big part of my life and it's saddening to see the club in such dissaray. Bit disillusioned atm.

DDuc

Post by DDuc » Sat Sep 29, 2018 7:42 pm

Sat Sep 29, 2018 7:36 pm
DavideDuck wrote:
Sat Sep 29, 2018 7:28 pm

Sorry, added to my post above. NUFC is a big part of my life and it's saddening to see the club in such dissaray. Bit disillusioned atm.
As am I to be fair. Obviously coaching staff can rightly come in for stick but it's hard to see past the man at the top when it comes to our wider issues. I still think about how things could have been different if we saw investment after the season we finished 5th. Hopefully we'll not have to wait too much longer to see some change.
Behold My Tl;dr Prowess

Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by Somebodys pinched my sombrero » Sat Sep 29, 2018 8:07 pm

Something's got to give soon, we can't go on like this much longer. Hopefully there's something in this latest takeover rumour.

Sanchino
http://thesaurus.com/browse/redundant
http://thesaurus.com/browse/redundant

Post by Sanchino » Sat Sep 29, 2018 8:31 pm

Heisen wrote:

This. Couldn't have said it any better. <applause>

We simply aren't good enough. Let's be honest these so called ''mid-table teams'' which we should be competing with like Leicester and Palace have genuine quality individuals that can change a game in a instant like Zaha and Vardy we don't even have that and when you look at there starting XI's respectively I could only see Dubraka, Lascells and Shevely possibly getting into there XI's. We have 3 solid Premier League quality players but the rest are Championship standard the likes of Yedelin, Dummet, Diame, Ritchie, Atsu, Murphy, Perez, Joselu, Manquillo, etc are not up to the standard to consistently do it in the Prem. Even Kenedy who looked quality last year looks ragged and below par his touch is off, keeps losing possession and is not creating nowhere near enough as he used to last season. 3 players that we signed this summer were from Relegated sides Fernandez and KI from Swansea and Rondon from West Brom. Just goes to show what level we're at. I seriously wish we would have kept Gayle and just given them Manquilo / Joselu instead because we've lost significant pace and movement upfront and you can tell teams can come on to us pressure us and maintain a high line knowing a duo of Joselu/Perez won't stretch there defenses or penetrate them, oh why oh why we could have had a Mitrov/Gayle partnership right now but we're stuck with Joselu/Perez till Rondon's back and that's simply down to Benitez. Signs are worrying definitely. Only hope is we pick up some results by the next transfer window can re-group make a couple signings to improve us and stray away from the bottom. <urgh>

Hjl
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by Hjl » Sat Sep 29, 2018 8:40 pm

It's silly I know. But I'm expecting to be back to listening to us on the radio next year when we go down. We beat Chelsea at the end of last season, other than that it's been no wins in 6 months. My wife is questioning my sanity for watching every game.

Grumble grumble.

Midlandmagpie

Post by Midlandmagpie » Sat Sep 29, 2018 9:58 pm

Heisen wrote:
Last season our fight, spirit and togetherness allowed us to punch above our weight but that seems to have deserted us this year, probably due to the fact they know Benitez is going at the end of the season, and the fact the fans are in open revolt against the owner.
Or perhaps because Rafa has repeatedly said he needs better players? Which can't be good for team morale.

I like Rafa. I really do, he's the best asset we have right now. But i cant help but feel he made a huge mistake, publically arguing that he needs more money to replace the players he has, can't do those players any good. That discussion should have been kept behind closed doors.

I have no doubt he knows (as we do) that Ashley is not going to give him that cash. So he should be motivating the players he has, and is likely to still have in February.

Dressing room morale kept is up last year and got us a good finish. This year it may relegate us

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Sat Sep 29, 2018 10:41 pm

Heisen wrote:

100% spot on. It's tough to see how we can get out of the flat spin that we're in. Rafa knows he's leaving in summer (unless there's a takeover BEFORE January so he can actually address some of the massive problems with our squad), the players know it, and the fans know it. In a way finishing in the top ten last season was the worst thing he could have done. It raised the expectations of some, it papered over massive cracks, and Ashley probably thought he didn't have to spend money.

We've lost the team spirit that got is through the second half of last season in the absence of talent, and players who provided the spark look devoid of doing anything decent. Perez is back to his wasteful self, Kenedy looks back to being a player a million miles away from the Chelsea first team, Shelvey probably cries himself to sleep at the thought of Joselu trying to see some of his passes. Away from home I can't really seeing us beating any team in the entire division, can we really have confidence that we'll win games against the likes of Brighton, Palace, Burnley, Watford etc at home as that's what we'll need to stay up. Unless we sign two or three star players in January we're going down. We've signed enough players who are ultimately not good enough (many down to Rafa), we need decent players. Given that we don't spend much it's baffling that the two players who cost us nearly £20m combined hardly ever play. They can't be any worse than the current crop so f***ing give them a go.

In all honesty, if Ashley stays I could not give a rats arse if we go down. What's the point in being in the PL doing what we're doing? At least in the Championship you win a few games and he gets less money. We might as well be in that league under the current regime.
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

Heisen
Stallsenberg
Stallsenberg

Post by Heisen » Sat Sep 29, 2018 11:03 pm

Bodacious Benny wrote:
Sat Sep 29, 2018 10:41 pm
Heisen wrote:

In all honesty, if Ashley stays I could not give a rats arse if we go down. What's the point in being in the PL doing what we're doing? At least in the Championship you win a few games and he gets less money. We might as well be in that league under the current regime.
While I understand the sentiment behind this and have thought it myself at times, the danger is you go from losing games in the PL to losing games in the Championship. It was great last time because we were up there competing but can you remember the periods of sheer panic when it looked like we might not get promoted? This current side wouldn't even make the play-offs given the money the top Championship sides have spent since we left. And I don't know how much more depressing things can get, but I can imagine losing week in week out to the likes of Ipswich and Preston with Nigel Pearson in charge will give me a good idea.

Burnopfield
Wood's Touch

Post by Burnopfield » Sat Sep 29, 2018 11:55 pm

Bodacious Benny wrote:
Sat Sep 29, 2018 10:41 pm
Heisen wrote:

100% spot on. It's tough to see how we can get out of the flat spin that we're in. Rafa knows he's leaving in summer (unless there's a takeover BEFORE January so he can actually address some of the massive problems with our squad), the players know it, and the fans know it. In a way finishing in the top ten last season was the worst thing he could have done. It raised the expectations of some, it papered over massive cracks, and Ashley probably thought he didn't have to spend money.

We've lost the team spirit that got is through the second half of last season in the absence of talent, and players who provided the spark look devoid of doing anything decent. Perez is back to his wasteful self, Kenedy looks back to being a player a million miles away from the Chelsea first team, Shelvey probably cries himself to sleep at the thought of Joselu trying to see some of his passes. Away from home I can't really seeing us beating any team in the entire division, can we really have confidence that we'll win games against the likes of Brighton, Palace, Burnley, Watford etc at home as that's what we'll need to stay up. Unless we sign two or three star players in January we're going down. We've signed enough players who are ultimately not good enough (many down to Rafa), we need decent players. Given that we don't spend much it's baffling that the two players who cost us nearly £20m combined hardly ever play. They can't be any worse than the current crop so f***ing give them a go.

All above is Ok but also blame Benitez. He looks like he is giving up and even if we after inferior players he should be getting more ou5 of them

I am not sure if Benitez is right for us now

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Sun Sep 30, 2018 12:30 am

Just seen the penalty, f***ing stupid from Yedlin.
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

Hjl
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by Hjl » Sun Sep 30, 2018 2:43 am

<cry> We're doomed. Even BB isn't optimistic