Lascelles signs new six-year contract

Cal
Denmark (Kasper)
Denmark (Kasper)

Lascelles signs new six-year contract

Post by Cal » Thu Nov 01, 2018 9:38 am

Newcastle United captain Jamaal Lascelles has signed a new long-term contract with the club, keeping him at St. James’ Park until June 2024.

Lascelles skippered the Magpies to a top-ten finish last term, having worn the armband during the 2016/17 season as United won the Sky Bet Championship title.

He was rewarded for his performances at the heart of Rafa Benítez's defence with a new deal last year, but has now agreed an improved and extended contract with the United boss today describing the centre-back as "the future of the club."

Born in Derby, the 24-year-old joined Newcastle from Nottingham Forest in 2014. He has made 112 appearances for United, scoring eight goals.

"It's pretty much all I ever wanted: playing in the Premier League in front of amazing fans"
Jamaal Lascelles

Speaking about his new deal, Lascelles told NUFC TV: "I'm over the moon - it's great news to be tied down to Newcastle for a long time. It's pretty much all I ever wanted: playing in the Premier League in front of amazing fans.

"I think now as players, we just need to give the fans what they deserve. We need to put in the performances and make it even more special.

"Since I've been here, everything's been really positive and now I need to get my head down and get this team higher up the league."

Manager Benítez said: "I'm really pleased to see Jamaal sign a contract extension. He's the future of the club and someone who really cares.

"The fans are looking for players who care about the team and the club, and he is one of these players.

"He's still a young player, still a young captain and still a young centre-back, so we're talking about a player who has a great future, because normally you consider the peak of a centre-back could be between 28 years old and 30 years old, so still he has plenty of room for improvement.

"He's keen to learn and he's working hard, trying to be a better player every day, so it is good news for the club."

Lee Charnley, managing director, said: "Being captain of Newcastle United carries important responsibilities on and off the pitch and this is recognition of Jamaal’s on-going contribution to the role.

"He has become a key member of the squad and a leader in the dressing room, and with many years ahead of him in his career, there is still much more to come.

"We are delighted that Jamaal has renewed his commitment to the club.”
https://www.nufc.co.uk/news/latest-news ... -year-deal
https://www.nufc.co.uk/nufc-tv/latest-v ... -six-years

Colly
Belgium (Lukaku)
Belgium (Lukaku)

Re: Lascelles signs new six-year contract

Post by Colly » Thu Nov 01, 2018 9:44 am

Good stuff. For info he's on Radio Newcastle tonight answering questions from fans, could be interesting.

JamboGeordie
Tindall's Hoody

Post by JamboGeordie » Thu Nov 01, 2018 9:46 am

All that means is ashley is going to pocket a lot of cash when he is sold.

Speedo
Not at 66-1, f*** that.
Not at 66-1, f*** that.

Post by Speedo » Thu Nov 01, 2018 10:01 am

Good news. He had only signed a 5 year deal last year, but hopefully this will head off some interest for him, or worst case scenario boost his price to mega levels (~£50m IMO). Along with Dubravka, probably the most important player in our squad.
I had the first custom w***

lassassinblanc
Netherlands (Gini)
Netherlands (Gini)

Post by lassassinblanc » Thu Nov 01, 2018 10:35 am

Probably contains a 30m buyout clause
I'll Hazard a guess

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Thu Nov 01, 2018 10:40 am

Was going to say, I wonder if there's a relegation / buyout clause.

Good news tho.
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

Crouching Shola Hidden Talent
Tribal Elder
Tribal Elder

Post by Crouching Shola Hidden Talent » Thu Nov 01, 2018 10:46 am

Good news on face value, but can't help but feel that this has been done as a means of driving up his transfer fee so Mike makes the big bucks.
There is no sin except stupidity.

krully
Germany (Müller)
Germany (Müller)

Post by krully » Thu Nov 01, 2018 11:52 am

Maybe we can build around him a solid defence

overseasTOON
Uruguay (Nunez)
Uruguay (Nunez)

Post by overseasTOON » Thu Nov 01, 2018 1:15 pm

krully wrote:
Thu Nov 01, 2018 11:52 am
Maybe we can build around him a solid defence

Heisen
Stallsenberg
Stallsenberg

Post by Heisen » Thu Nov 01, 2018 1:16 pm

I'm delighted, but the cynic in my can't help but think this is just the club's way of protecting their asset when the big boys come calling if we go down.

Remember Colo
Ancient Forum Relic
Ancient Forum Relic

Post by Remember Colo » Thu Nov 01, 2018 2:23 pm

Every player who has their contract re-upped is to increase their transfer value, that wouldn't be unique to us.

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Thu Nov 01, 2018 4:00 pm

Imagine supporting a club where if one of your key players signed a new long term contract your first thought was "great, we're really aiming to push on and tie down our key players to build a team around" instead of supporting us and automatically thinking "this mean that Ashley will be able to sell him for more money now" <laugh>
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

jpg
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Post by jpg » Thu Nov 01, 2018 4:03 pm

Remember Colo wrote:
Thu Nov 01, 2018 2:23 pm
Every player who has their contract re-upped is to increase their transfer value, that wouldn't be unique to us.
This. If anything, it’s club protecting its assets.

overseasTOON
Uruguay (Nunez)
Uruguay (Nunez)

Post by overseasTOON » Thu Nov 01, 2018 4:19 pm

Bodacious Benny wrote:
Thu Nov 01, 2018 4:00 pm
Imagine supporting a club where if one of your key players signed a new long term contract your first thought was "great, we're really aiming to push on and tie down our key players to build a team around" instead of supporting us and automatically thinking "this mean that Ashley will be able to sell him for more money now" <laugh>
After reading that part, I have now seen the light and I'm positive we're gonna win the league!!

Colly
Belgium (Lukaku)
Belgium (Lukaku)

Post by Colly » Thu Nov 01, 2018 4:22 pm

Bodacious Benny wrote:
For everyone now it's both of those things. Either you've tied down a good player or you've put yourself in a position to replace him. If we do go down he'll be our Sissoko.

Remember Colo
Ancient Forum Relic
Ancient Forum Relic

Post by Remember Colo » Thu Nov 01, 2018 6:02 pm

Colly wrote:
Thu Nov 01, 2018 4:22 pm
Bodacious Benny wrote:
For everyone now it's both of those things. Either you've tied down a good player or you've put yourself in a position to replace him. If we do go down he'll be our Sissoko.
Exactly. It's not as if Harry Kane or Deli Alli are going to finish their careers at Spurs, but Spurs will keep signing them to extensions for as long their agents will allow them, because they need to protect the assets.

originallad
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by originallad » Thu Nov 01, 2018 7:05 pm

I don't see anything wrong with this. Shows he's committed to us by signing this contract. And if we do sell him, we get big bucks. Win win.

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Fri Nov 02, 2018 8:47 am

I'm not saying that there's anything wrong with this, or that other teams don't do the same to protect their assets, just that at least Spurs, Everton fans etc. know they're doing it to build their squad and progress whereas we know it's 99% likely that this is just a move to get a higher transfer fee rather than a move to show any kind of ambition. But maybe I'm just a cynic...

Speedo
Not at 66-1, f*** that.
Not at 66-1, f*** that.

Post by Speedo » Fri Nov 02, 2018 10:00 am

Twitter has been in meltdown for the last 24 hours about Lascelles saying Mike Ashley is a "nice guy"... he's been described as a sell out.

Absolutely childish reaction IMO, including from people who usually are better than this. Can't expect him to slate Ashley when he's just committed to the club, and he probably is trying to reconcile the relationship between Ashley and Rafa (and maybe the fans) to encourage Rafa to stay and Ashley to spend some money.
I had the first custom w***

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Fri Nov 02, 2018 10:17 am

Speedo wrote:
Fri Nov 02, 2018 10:00 am
Twitter has been in meltdown for the last 24 hours about Lascelles saying Mike Ashley is a "nice guy"... he's been described as a sell out.

Absolutely childish reaction IMO, including from people who usually are better than this. Can't expect him to slate Ashley when he's just committed to the club, and he probably is trying to reconcile the relationship between Ashley and Rafa (and maybe the fans) to encourage Rafa to stay and Ashley to spend some money.
Yeah, he'd be pretty stupid to come out and say 'Ashley is a prick', what do people expect?

For all we know Ashley might be a perfectly decent bloke if you bumped into him around the place or were sat having a coffee.