Rafael Benitez: Does Newcastle Utd manager have St James' Park future?

bodacious benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Re: Rafael Benitez: Does Newcastle Utd manager have St James' Park future?

Post by bodacious benny » Mon Nov 26, 2018 3:59 pm

Oh yeah, I agree.

I also think that his transfer record across his career has been patchy, the luxury he had at other clubs was having enough money to spend whereby mistakes in the transfer market don't really matter. We've got so little to spend that there's real importance to every transfer.
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

Hjl
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by Hjl » Tue Nov 27, 2018 3:42 am

3 wins in a row now, 1 more win will be our best run since 2014!

Im pretty positive right now.

TBC
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by TBC » Tue Nov 27, 2018 12:36 pm

Donkey Toon wrote:
Sat Nov 24, 2018 1:46 pm
jpg wrote:
Sat Nov 24, 2018 11:26 am

Why do you want him gone so badly? Do you actually have faith in the club to find someone better?

I think we’ll be fine this season, regardless of spend in January. It’s next season which worries me as I don’t see Benitez sticking around.
I should start of by clarifying; I want a big spend in January and Rafa gone at the end of the season and if i'm honest I want a big spend in January and I don't want Rafa to be picking the signings. Because his transfer record has been awful and I don't trust him to spend it wisely.

As for the rest; his tactics have led to us playing the most negative and boring football i've ever seen us play and i can remember games back to the early 1970's. For the first time in my life i view watching one of our games as a chore to be endured and not a form of entertainment and I only do it out of a sense of loyalty because I have to convince myself to tune in every single time. If that weren't enough I don't view his achievements with us as being any better than Hughton managed, with less money, better football and a hell of a lot less moaning to the press. His substitutions baffle me, his player management is so incompetent it angers me and I have no expectation that it will ever get any better under him, so I see no risk in trying another manager.

As for whether we get anybody better? Maybe we will, maybe we won't. But i've got to the stage i'd rather see us relegated trying to play football than struggle along playing the worst football i've ever seen us play. I've referred to it before as anti-football and I genuinely mean it when I say that, i'm not being hyperbolic.

I also think we will be safe this year, but only because there are three, or more, other clubs worse than us this year. Which is lucky because at this point of the season, in almost any season in living memory, we would be in the bottom 3 with our points total at this stage of the season. We are not 14th because Rafa has done well, we are there because six other teams have against all the odds been worse.
Personally feel the Kinnear, Pardew Post-5th, and Carver eras were all worse times to be a fan in recent years.

Colly
Belgium (Lukaku)
Belgium (Lukaku)

Post by Colly » Tue Nov 27, 2018 1:32 pm

I think the difference there is that the Carver and Kinnear eras were horrible but blissfully short. The latter day Pardew conparison is very apt though, just a long drawn out spell of horrible football to watch, with occasional good runs in between bad ones.

jpg
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Post by jpg » Wed Nov 28, 2018 7:39 pm

TBC wrote:
Tue Nov 27, 2018 12:36 pm
Donkey Toon wrote:
Sat Nov 24, 2018 1:46 pm

I should start of by clarifying; I want a big spend in January and Rafa gone at the end of the season and if i'm honest I want a big spend in January and I don't want Rafa to be picking the signings. Because his transfer record has been awful and I don't trust him to spend it wisely.

As for the rest; his tactics have led to us playing the most negative and boring football i've ever seen us play and i can remember games back to the early 1970's. For the first time in my life i view watching one of our games as a chore to be endured and not a form of entertainment and I only do it out of a sense of loyalty because I have to convince myself to tune in every single time. If that weren't enough I don't view his achievements with us as being any better than Hughton managed, with less money, better football and a hell of a lot less moaning to the press. His substitutions baffle me, his player management is so incompetent it angers me and I have no expectation that it will ever get any better under him, so I see no risk in trying another manager.

As for whether we get anybody better? Maybe we will, maybe we won't. But i've got to the stage i'd rather see us relegated trying to play football than struggle along playing the worst football i've ever seen us play. I've referred to it before as anti-football and I genuinely mean it when I say that, i'm not being hyperbolic.

I also think we will be safe this year, but only because there are three, or more, other clubs worse than us this year. Which is lucky because at this point of the season, in almost any season in living memory, we would be in the bottom 3 with our points total at this stage of the season. We are not 14th because Rafa has done well, we are there because six other teams have against all the odds been worse.
Personally feel the Kinnear, Pardew Post-5th, and Carver eras were all worse times to be a fan in recent years.
Exactly, and we face doing it all over again if Rafa doesn't stay on.

Also, never understood why Benitez gets slated for his signings. Maybe a bit of deadweight left over from the Championship season, but the vast majority have been decent and cost us next to nothing in the current market.