Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Re: Match day thread - NUFC v Watford

Post by Sir Bobby » Sat Dec 29, 2018 5:06 pm

Micky Quim wrote:
Sat Dec 29, 2018 5:04 pm
Sir Bobby wrote:
Sat Dec 29, 2018 5:01 pm
Really? We were comfortably the better team for 70 minutes. To say we "just about" earned a point is pretty nonsensical considering we had the ball in the net 3 times in the first half and they did nothing of note until they realised the game was slipping away from them.

We should have, as usual, sealed up the game with a second but our defensive tactics in the last 25 minutes came back, as usual, to haunt us.
Maybe the drink gave you football goggles <laugh>
<laugh>

Could well be, but I thought we were as good as them today! Defo deserved our point through my black and white beer spectacles

Donkey Toon
Croatia (Modric)
Croatia (Modric)

Post by Donkey Toon » Sat Dec 29, 2018 5:13 pm

Sir Bobby wrote:
Sat Dec 29, 2018 5:06 pm
Micky Quim wrote:
Sat Dec 29, 2018 5:04 pm

Maybe the drink gave you football goggles <laugh>
<laugh>

Could well be, but I thought we were as good as them today! Defo deserved our point through my black and white beer spectacles
Yeah we deserved a point, as i'd said. But we can't have had much more than 33-35% possession and I can only remember us getting two efforts on target. Meanwhile Dubravka made numerous saves.

How anybody can define constant defending as dominating play just because we were leading baffles me.

UlversToon
Argentina (Messi)
Argentina (Messi)

Post by UlversToon » Sat Dec 29, 2018 5:14 pm

5 points clear of the drop zone before the start of play, 8 clear at half-time and down to only 4 at the final whistle and possibly 3 tomorrow if Burnley win tomorrow.

We now need something from the Man U game because of this result as we can't hold on to a lead and would rather sit back on a one goal lead, something we are not very good at doing, rather than try and kill the game with a second goal.

Hjl
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by Hjl » Sat Dec 29, 2018 5:24 pm

Well that wasn't a disaster. Could have won it though. I stopped paying attention in the last 20 mins though. It got too boring.

Foster had a good game.

Valentino's fast feet
Senegal (Aboubakar)
Senegal (Aboubakar)

Post by Valentino's fast feet » Sat Dec 29, 2018 5:31 pm

I got in from work and fell asleep by accident. Was actually quite looking forward to the game. How did we get on them? Skimming through this it looks a bit up and down. Rondon played well again. We could've used three points really but prob would've taken the point.
Previously CIH/Cabella's Invincible Hair

Chappy
10 Champs Silver
10 Champs Silver

Post by Chappy » Sat Dec 29, 2018 5:50 pm

Would have took a point before kick off tbh...
It’s the noise, the passion, the feeling of belonging, the pride in your city.

Heisen
Stallsenberg
Stallsenberg

Post by Heisen » Sat Dec 29, 2018 6:10 pm

Decent point but the failure to beat Fulham means this was two points lost, definitely. Still majorly pissed off at that.

krully
Germany (Müller)
Germany (Müller)

Post by krully » Sat Dec 29, 2018 6:28 pm

that mertrovick lad scored for fulham

Bruuuuuuuuce ()
Tribal Elder
Tribal Elder

Post by Bruuuuuuuuce () » Sat Dec 29, 2018 6:38 pm

Get rid of benitez man.

The dim light that was once there that magnificence wasnt far away is slowly being extinguished with his constant negativity.

Sick of it.

And to suggest that he's the only reason we will stay up is ridiculous.

Hjl
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by Hjl » Sat Dec 29, 2018 7:58 pm

Luque wrote:
Sat Dec 29, 2018 6:38 pm
Get rid of benitez man.

The dim light that was once there that magnificence wasnt far away is slowly being extinguished with his constant negativity.

Sick of it.

I know, it annoys me too. I'm pretty sure the players have some influence on us staying up...

FalkirkToon
Tindall's Hoody

Post by FalkirkToon » Sun Dec 30, 2018 3:41 am

Hjl wrote:
Sat Dec 29, 2018 7:58 pm
Luque wrote:
Sat Dec 29, 2018 6:38 pm
Get rid of benitez man.

Sick of it.

I know, it annoys me too. I'm pretty sure the players have some influence on us staying up...
Whilst I don’t totally disagree with this - Rafa without the Ashley circus is a manager serving up negative & poor football week on week. That can’t be debated.

I think our issue is that the players are drilled to an inch of their life by Rafa & the coaching staff. They are so limited/restricted to the ‘system’ or tactics being deployed that they have regressed as footballers. They lack the individuality or ability to make effective decisions on the game.

Of course the balancing view is that these players aren’t good enough, or weren’t Rafa’s picks, etc. All most likely true - but we are suited to an away fixture where we can sit in, absorb & counter in designated patterns of play.

Where this ‘plan’ fails (home games where we face 14/15 teams who follow our away-day plan), the players simply are unable to provide any technical ability or speed of thought to change the game.

This is what happens with second rate players, who aren’t good enough. They need their hands held through games as they aren’t up to the required level. This in turn has made some of them worse

Colly
Belgium (Lukaku)
Belgium (Lukaku)

Post by Colly » Sun Dec 30, 2018 8:40 am

Donkey Toon wrote:
Sat Dec 29, 2018 5:13 pm
Sir Bobby wrote:
Sat Dec 29, 2018 5:06 pm

<laugh>

Yeah we deserved a point, as i'd said. But we can't have had much more than 33-35% possession and I can only remember us getting two efforts on target. Meanwhile Dubravka made numerous saves.

How anybody can define constant defending as dominating play just because we were leading baffles me.
The Rafa effect.

Slim999
Shelvey's Precious

Post by Slim999 » Sun Dec 30, 2018 3:54 pm

This could be an important point.

Next month is going to be very tough - tgen it gets easier. We need to go for Cardiff at home - we need to win that otherwise I fear we could drop back to relegation zone by end of Jan.

I'm happy enough with the defence - we need attacking midfield options. - and another striker as Joselu is far too lame.

Rondon is good up front but we need more creativity behind him and an alternative

The Deluded Pablo Diego Jose Francisco
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Post by The Deluded Pablo Diego Jose Francisco » Sun Dec 30, 2018 5:15 pm

We're gonna get f***ing destroyed against Utd!

Colly
Belgium (Lukaku)
Belgium (Lukaku)

Post by Colly » Sun Dec 30, 2018 5:41 pm

We are Utd. Jeeze.

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Sun Dec 30, 2018 5:55 pm

We can probably score against them but I can see them scoring 3 easily so we have no chance.
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

Heisen
Stallsenberg
Stallsenberg

Post by Heisen » Sun Dec 30, 2018 5:56 pm

Burnley winning just caps off a shitty weekend of results. With the run of games coming up it would be a brave man to bet against us being in the bottom three by the time we play Cardiff. What a massive game that is shaping up to be.

I know I've mentioned it but the failure to beat Fulham could be huge.

UlversToon
Argentina (Messi)
Argentina (Messi)

Post by UlversToon » Sun Dec 30, 2018 6:05 pm

Burnley play Huddersfield away next followed by a home game against Fulham so every chance we'll be in the bottom 3 by the time we play Cardiff.

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Sun Dec 30, 2018 6:07 pm

Well Bailly won’t be playing against us so if Phil Jones is back we might win <laugh>
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

Don Sholeone
Brazil (Neymar)
Brazil (Neymar)

Post by Don Sholeone » Sun Dec 30, 2018 6:15 pm

Bodacious Benny wrote:
Sun Dec 30, 2018 6:07 pm
Well Bailly won’t be playing against us so if Phil Jones is back we might win <laugh>
everything is going through Pogba for them, think if we can shut him down we might have a chance