Match day thread - NUFC v Manure

Sanchino
http://thesaurus.com/browse/redundant
http://thesaurus.com/browse/redundant

Re: Match day thread - NUFC v Manure

Post by Sanchino » Thu Jan 03, 2019 9:32 am

Crouching Shola Hidden Talent wrote:
Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:40 pm
Atsu is one of the worst technical footballers I've seen for a while. He's got great pace and has worked really hard tonight, but every time he's in a threatening position he wastes it.

Shame tonight because our lack of quality has shone rather than the tactics. I have no issue with the way we have approached this game, it's when we do the exact same against Huddersfield that I get frustrated.
This. I agree 100% like not faulting Atsu's effort, work-rate and fantastic pace. He is a threat on the break and if we're putting balls in behind for him to run onto he's a danger but apart from that his finishing is below part, decision making and overall end product is simply not good enough something he has to work on and if he did if he improved that he'll be probably be playing for Chelsea right now. :bandit:

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Thu Jan 03, 2019 9:40 am

Atsu is just one of many in our squad that will work hard but ultimately doesn't have the end product required at this level. I think that Traore at Wolves is another example of that type of player, all the pace in the world to run but you can guarantee that 9/10 times the final pass, cross, shot etc. will be rubbish.
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

TJR
Mexico (Jiménez)
Mexico (Jiménez)

Post by TJR » Thu Jan 03, 2019 9:55 am

Colly wrote:
Thu Jan 03, 2019 8:21 am
Luque wrote:
Thu Jan 03, 2019 12:40 am
Imagine signing a goalkeeper to play in the Championship for £5m when you had Karl Darlow and Rob Elliot in your squad.

Imagine signing a couple of full backs (Lazaar and Gamez) and selling a young Swiss defender who the majority of fans felt was good enough to stake a claim to play for the first team. Who has gone on to play for the national team and been linked with teams much better than yours.

Imagine signing a striker to play exclusively in the Championship, not recouping your full fee and go and spend more on an absolutely terrible striking option and refuse to use a £27m striker who has managed to score plenty for the team bottom of the league (Murphy - Joselu - Mitrovic).

Imagine knowing you have little funds to work with and using £12m on a winger that you barely use.

Anything else glaringly obvious?

Imagine spending 3 years at a club and your only solution to winning games is to surrender possession and hope for the best.
He didn't give Florian Thauvin a kick, a player who went on to be in the running for Ligue 1 player of the season, earning a £50m price tag and a World Cup medal along the way.
He left before Rafa became our manager.

He was out on loan at the time and the option to buy clause was activated at the end of his loan.

TJR
Mexico (Jiménez)
Mexico (Jiménez)

Post by TJR » Thu Jan 03, 2019 9:58 am

Bodacious Benny wrote:
Thu Jan 03, 2019 9:40 am
Atsu is just one of many in our squad that will work hard but ultimately doesn't have the end product required at this level. I think that Traore at Wolves is another example of that type of player, all the pace in the world to run but you can guarantee that 9/10 times the final pass, cross, shot etc. will be rubbish.
Agree on Atsu.

His performance yesterday sums us up as a team. He gave everything and played well (pretty much to the limit of his ability) but ultimately he just isn't good enough.

jpg
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Post by jpg » Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:15 am

Donkey Toon wrote:
Thu Jan 03, 2019 12:54 am
Luque wrote:
Thu Jan 03, 2019 12:40 am
Imagine signing a goalkeeper to play in the Championship for £5m when you had Karl Darlow and Rob Elliot in your squad.

Imagine signing a couple of full backs (Lazaar and Gamez) and selling a young Swiss defender who the majority of fans felt was good enough to stake a claim to play for the first team. Who has gone on to play for the national team and been linked with teams much better than yours.

Imagine signing a striker to play exclusively in the Championship, not recouping your full fee and go and spend more on an absolutely terrible striking option and refuse to use a £27m striker who has managed to score plenty for the team bottom of the league (Murphy - Joselu - Mitrovic).

Imagine knowing you have little funds to work with and using £12m on a winger that you barely use.

Anything else glaringly obvious?

Imagine spending 3 years at a club and your only solution to winning games is to surrender possession and hope for the best.
Pretty much sums it up for me. Especially the last line. As i've said before, he is the league's premier proponent of anti-football. Only one plan and that is f***ing clueless.

Could also add that he has had five windows and spent over £120m and only added one permanent signing (Dubravka) that is actually better than he inherited, whilst has let (read pushed out the door by freezing them out) three players (Mitro, Merino and Mbemba) leave whilst replacing them with worse.

Edit: I will acknowledge that Fernandez has been decent and may well go on to be another good signing. But two out of 23(?) signings is hardly a good return.
Can get on board with overall defensive and negative style of play especially against teams we should be taking on but the last two paragraphs are simply not true. Majority of his signings have been shrewd and key to the club's success over the past three seasons - never understood how or why the scrutiny of his signings has become such a thing.

krully
Germany (Müller)
Germany (Müller)

Post by krully » Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:17 am

Mbemba was a class act 😍😍

Valentino's fast feet
Senegal (Aboubakar)
Senegal (Aboubakar)

Post by Valentino's fast feet » Thu Jan 03, 2019 11:33 am

Not sure how blame for Merino can be laid on Rafa's door either. It's not like he was shipped off. He had a release clause and it was activated. Something similar to how we signed him in the first place. For me that says more about the personality of the player than the manager.
Previously CIH/Cabella's Invincible Hair

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Thu Jan 03, 2019 11:53 am

I thought I recalled something about Merino not really settling and wanting to go back to Spain again. Could be wrong though, it seems that half the players who leave then come out and say they couldn't handle it / couldn't settle etc. Even Mitro did it after he completed his move to Fulham.
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

lassassinblanc
Netherlands (Gini)
Netherlands (Gini)

Post by lassassinblanc » Thu Jan 03, 2019 12:09 pm

Yeah some transfers haven't worked out but some weren't the fault of Rafa.

You allude to Merino, he wanted to play more football this was a time when we were on a four match winning run which Diame and Shelvey were key to dropping them to play someone else would have bad management. Merino was home sick too he wanted to leave he had a release clause which was met nothing Rafa could have done.

Mitrovic would I like him to still be at the club yes, does he fit the type of striker role Rafa wants simply NO. A good example would actually be his goal last weekend he lost the ball and threw his arms up in a strop instead of trying to win the ball he had stayed up the pitch when Huddersfield went on the counter from it, of course they lost possession and a quick counter meant he was in the right place to score but if Huddersfield had gone up and scored he would have been crucified. Rondon and Joselu for all their misgivings in front of goal track back and get involved when needed.(and I'd rate they signings good business)

Mbemba falls into the same category as Merino in Championship season, Clark and Lascelles were rightly ahead of him the same next season Lejuene and Lascelles were ahead of him and playing well. He also so I'm told had lived in England for 3 years and spoke very little English.

As for other players Rafa brought in

Gayle- We would not be in the PL without him 10m well spent, he is Championship level yes if we stay up I can see him staying at the level and he'll be sold for around 10-15m so we'd make a profit or at least our money back on him.- SUCCESS

Ritchie - One of best players at times definitely during Championship season scored 12 and assisted a good few too, had a decent PL season last year too.-SUCCESS

Diame-As alluded to above his form kept Merino out of the team and was key in keeping us in the Premier League, he gets a lot of unwarranted criticism (some warranted too) but for 4.5m he has been a great signing.SUCCESS

Clark- was brilliant in promotion season, injury and Lejuene kept him at bay last year, good cover for left back too 5m well spent there.SUCCESS

Yedlin- yes his defending at times has cost us goals but he is a threat going forward and works well with Ritchie. From what i'm told a key part of the good dressing room atmosphere too-SUCCESS

Daryl Murphy- Brought in to do a job he more then done it- SUCCESS

Hanley- Was brought in as he knew the championship Clark rightly kept him out wanted first team football which he wasn't going to get.

Laazar and Jesus Gamez, - two I expected more of injuries did cause them to suffer though

Sels- I think Sels was unfortunate at times actually kept 4 clean sheets from his opening 7 games people only remember his howler against Villa his confidence never really recovered.

Manquillo- Gets judged harshly too at times I don't think he was Rafa's first choice but after Mbabu left which was the right move for him at time. Read the below and you will see he may not have succeeded in Newcastle
(https://www.tagesanzeiger.ch/sport/fuss ... y/23060530).

Overall I think Rafa has made some very good signings given the budget he has been given
I'll Hazard a guess

Bruuuuuuuuce ()
Tribal Elder
Tribal Elder

Post by Bruuuuuuuuce () » Thu Jan 03, 2019 12:25 pm

lassassinblanc wrote:
Thu Jan 03, 2019 12:09 pm

Mitrovic would I like him to still be at the club yes, does he fit the type of striker role Rafa wants simply NO. A good example would actually be his goal last weekend he lost the ball and threw his arms up in a strop instead of trying to win the ball he had stayed up the pitch when Huddersfield went on the counter from it, of course they lost possession and a quick counter meant he was in the right place to score but if Huddersfield had gone up and scored he would have been crucified. Rondon and Joselu for all their misgivings in front of goal track back and get involved when needed.(and I'd rate they signings good business)
Mitrovic's character at Fulham is completely different. He actually works hard out of possession, tracks back, brings others in to play. You've picked 1 instance. Watch him more.

4 yellow cards in 21 appearances.
lassassinblanc wrote:

Mbemba falls into the same category as Merino in Championship season, Clark and Lascelles were rightly ahead of him the same next season Lejuene and Lascelles were ahead of him and playing well. He also so I'm told had lived in England for 3 years and spoke very little English.
Though you may feel this is true, should Mbemba have been used in the Championship more in order to develop him? Yes. Did Benitez do that? No. Poor management.
lassassinblanc wrote:

Gayle- We would not be in the PL without him 10m well spent, he is Championship level yes if we stay up I can see him staying at the level and he'll be sold for around 10-15m so we'd make a profit or at least our money back on him.- SUCCESS
Short term fix.
lassassinblanc wrote:

Ritchie - One of best players at times definitely during Championship season scored 12 and assisted a good few too, had a decent PL season last year too.-SUCCESS
A grafter. Better options were available at the time.
lassassinblanc wrote:
Diame-As alluded to above his form kept Merino out of the team and was key in keeping us in the Premier League, he gets a lot of unwarranted criticism (some warranted too) but for 4.5m he has been a great signing.SUCCESS
A good 3 months does not make him a success.
lassassinblanc wrote:

Clark- was brilliant in promotion season, injury and Lejuene kept him at bay last year, good cover for left back too 5m well spent there.SUCCESS
A Championship signing for a team who wanted to be Premier League. Did a job 2 years ago... good enough to warrant freezing out the more versatile Mbemba? No.
lassassinblanc wrote:

Yedlin- yes his defending at times has cost us goals but he is a threat going forward and works well with Ritchie. From what i'm told a key part of the good dressing room atmosphere too-SUCCESS
He has played a lot - does that make him a successful signing? Is that the yardstick? Offensively our only option because of Benitez' tactics. Defensively, not perfect. A moderate success.
lassassinblanc wrote:
Daryl Murphy- Brought in to do a job he more then done it- SUCCESS
He did well for us and should have been given a shot in the Premier League instead of wasting money on Joselu. If he was that much of a success, why did the club and Benitez not keep him?
lassassinblanc wrote:
Hanley- Was brought in as he knew the championship Clark rightly kept him out wanted first team football which he wasn't going to get.
How you can defend this signing is beyond me. He was never good enough. Waste of money. Poorer than Lascelles and Mbemba by a country mile.
lassassinblanc wrote:
Laazar and Jesus Gamez, - two I expected more of injuries did cause them to suffer though
Sure. Barely used.
lassassinblanc wrote:

Sels- I think Sels was unfortunate at times actually kept 4 clean sheets from his opening 7 games people only remember his howler against Villa his confidence never really recovered.
Sels was signed when we had Darlow, Elliot and Krul. A necessary signing? No. Regardless of his performances, a goalkeeper was one of the few positions we didn't need to sign anyone, yet Benitez went out and bought a goalkeeper anyway, who HE quickly disposed of. NOT THE FANS.
lassassinblanc wrote:
Manquillo- Gets judged harshly too at times I don't think he was Rafa's first choice but after Mbabu left which was the right move for him at time. Read the below and you will see he may not have succeeded in Newcastle
He was s**** for Sunderland. What made Benitez think he'd cut it at us? Not good enough.
lassassinblanc wrote:
Overall I think Rafa has made some very good signings given the budget he has been given
No.

-----
What's your opinions of Murphy, Muto, Hayden, Joselu and Atsu... you've seemed to miss them ones off.

krully
Germany (Müller)
Germany (Müller)

Post by krully » Thu Jan 03, 2019 12:48 pm

Clark is solid 🙄 good back up

Valentino's fast feet
Senegal (Aboubakar)
Senegal (Aboubakar)

Post by Valentino's fast feet » Thu Jan 03, 2019 1:09 pm

Luque wrote:
Thu Jan 03, 2019 12:25 pm
lassassinblanc wrote:

Short term fix.
Well yes he is a short term fix, but isn't that kind of what he said anyway? Football is predominantly a short term deal anyway, how often do you see players that stay at a club, in the first team, for 4-5 years+? Also, it's not like we could attract a striker whilst in the championship that would be scoring double figures in the prem now on a consistent basis. Short of keeping Mitrovic and giving him a role to play, and that's one area where I will fully agree with the criticism of Rafa.
lassassinblanc wrote:

Luque wrote:

What options? I vaguely remember us being linked to Jordan Ibe at the time, who whilst younger was unproven and more expensive than Ritchie. Was seemingly his replacement at Bournemouth, not sure how he got on there but I'm happy with Gordon Ramsey's illegitimate son being brought in do a job. He's far from brilliant but I'd argue he's one of our better, and more consistent players. And from a transfer point of view, he should go down as a success because he was essentially brought in to replace Sissoko on the right hand side for less than half the fee we sold him for. Ritchie might not be the best, and Sissoko certainly had his odd moments in the sun, but for me I'd say that's a belting bit of business.

Bruuuuuuuuce ()
Tribal Elder
Tribal Elder

Post by Bruuuuuuuuce () » Thu Jan 03, 2019 1:15 pm

Nathan Redmond for a start. £11m.

Sir Bobby
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by Sir Bobby » Thu Jan 03, 2019 1:19 pm

Hughton was widely regarded as signing good players (mainly because he signed ones that “did the job” in the Championship, a right in signing players that isn’t afforded to Rafa for unknown reasons). Here’s some signings people don’t remember: Harewood (equivalent to D. Murphy who bizarrely is being categorised as some sort of failure despite him costing the club a net of £1m and scoring 5 league goals including a late winner), Danny Simpson (a player widely thought to be utter s*** and costing us countless points during his time here), Khizanishvili (garbage), Routledge (read: Atsu), Williamson (incomparable to Clark), Leon Best (read: Joselu). In preparation for the Prem we signed James Perch (lol), Dan Gosling (lol), a 97-year-old Sol Campbell (lol) alongside two good signings. The difference between then and now is that people realised and accepted Hughton was working under ridiculous constraints compared to other teams in the league.

However, Rafa has made some very weird signings, especially as the fees rise. For a manager who IS under constraints you’d think that he would be more thoughtful when he spends big. His current £9m or higher signings are: Gayle, Ritchie, J. Murphy and Muto. Excluding Ritchie, they’ve played a combined average of 14 (full) premiership games for us. You’d expect your biggest signings to be playing as much as possible but that hasn’t been the case for any of Rafa’s bar Ritchie. Even some of his other larger ones have spent most of their time on the bench too (Atsu and Merino). It’s all just really confusing and nobody knows where the blame lies. Take Mitrovic; he was frozen out by Rafa so the blame lies there BUT Rafa might have been told that he would be able to sign a new striker with the funds generated and was given nobody so it would be Ashley’s fault OR he might have been told that he’d get half of the money which he then used to sign Muto (to not play) so the blame would be back with Rafa.

The simple fact of the matter is we don’t know what goes on at the **** boardroom level but if the past is anything to base things on then I’m much more likely to give Rafa the benefit of the doubt than Ashley.

Valentino's fast feet
Senegal (Aboubakar)
Senegal (Aboubakar)

Post by Valentino's fast feet » Thu Jan 03, 2019 1:31 pm

Luque wrote:
Thu Jan 03, 2019 1:15 pm
Nathan Redmond for a start. £11m.
<notbad>

Fair point, but with that one I'm not sure he would've come here. He left a relegated Norwich to go to premier league Southampton. Why would he have swapped one second tier club for another? I realise the strong argument there is money talks, same with Ritchie dropping down from Bournemouth. Key difference there for me is that we were in a good position to come right back up (which we did), Norwich not so much and Bournemouth with a good chance of going down at the time. Southampton were on the up and up at the time, solid mid table side with ambitions for further. On the face of it a much better proposition than us, in my opinion.

Bruuuuuuuuce ()
Tribal Elder
Tribal Elder

Post by Bruuuuuuuuce () » Thu Jan 03, 2019 1:37 pm

Sir Bobby wrote:
Thu Jan 03, 2019 1:19 pm
Hughton was widely regarded as signing good players (mainly because he signed ones that “did the job” in the Championship, a right in signing players that isn’t afforded to Rafa for unknown reasons). Here’s some signings people don’t remember: Harewood (equivalent to D. Murphy who bizarrely is being categorised as some sort of failure despite him costing the club a net of £1m and scoring 5 league goals including a late winner), Danny Simpson (a player widely thought to be utter s*** and costing us countless points during his time here), Khizanishvili (garbage), Routledge (read: Atsu), Williamson (incomparable to Clark), Leon Best (read: Joselu). In preparation for the Prem we signed James Perch (lol), Dan Gosling (lol), a 97-year-old Sol Campbell (lol) alongside two good signings. The difference between then and now is that people realised and accepted Hughton was working under ridiculous constraints compared to other teams in the league.

However, Rafa has made some very weird signings, especially as the fees rise. For a manager who IS under constraints you’d think that he would be more thoughtful when he spends big. His current £9m or higher signings are: Gayle, Ritchie, J. Murphy and Muto. Excluding Ritchie, they’ve played a combined average of 14 (full) premiership games for us. You’d expect your biggest signings to be playing as much as possible but that hasn’t been the case for any of Rafa’s bar Ritchie. Even some of his other larger ones have spent most of their time on the bench too (Atsu and Merino). It’s all just really confusing and nobody knows where the blame lies. Take Mitrovic; he was frozen out by Rafa so the blame lies there BUT Rafa might have been told that he would be able to sign a new striker with the funds generated and was given nobody so it would be Ashley’s fault OR he might have been told that he’d get half of the money which he then used to sign Muto (to not play) so the blame would be back with Rafa.

The simple fact of the matter is we don’t know what goes on at the **** boardroom level but if the past is anything to base things on then I’m much more likely to give Rafa the benefit of the doubt than Ashley.
Leon Best got 10 in 29 goals in Premier League for Newcastle.
Joselu has 6 in 40. To compare the 2 is actually scandalous.

krully
Germany (Müller)
Germany (Müller)

Post by krully » Thu Jan 03, 2019 1:46 pm

Hat trick against west have 😍😍

Valentino's fast feet
Senegal (Aboubakar)
Senegal (Aboubakar)

Post by Valentino's fast feet » Thu Jan 03, 2019 1:56 pm

Best only played 29 premier league games? I feel like he was knocking about for ages.

lassassinblanc
Netherlands (Gini)
Netherlands (Gini)

Post by lassassinblanc » Thu Jan 03, 2019 1:58 pm

Luque wrote:
lassassinblanc wrote:

Luque wrote:
Mitrovic's character at Fulham is completely different. He actually works hard out of possession, tracks back, brings others in to play. You've picked 1 instance. Watch him more.

4 yellow cards in 21 appearances.

Yes I picked out one example but it was a good example, I never mentioned his character or his discipline record for us. I mentioned the role he does which is completely different, He drifts out of games an awful lot does Mitro to the point that you sometimes wonder if he is playing.

MBEMBA

Though you may feel this is true, should Mbemba have been used in the Championship more in order to develop him? Yes. Did Benitez do that? No. Poor management.

GAYLE

Short term fix.

Who more the fulfilled his role, He actually done decent enough in the PL for us too, he was our 2nd highest scorer in with 6 in a season we scored 39 that was almost quarter of of goals. he went as part of the Rondon deal who has scored 5 of our 12 so far

RITCHIE

Who?

DIAME

A good 3 months does not make him a success.

He has been a good player for us for more then 3 months, Look at our performances when he has been absent and you'll see the worth he has to the team

CLARK

A Championship signing for a team who wanted to be Premier League. Did a job 2 years ago... good enough to warrant freezing out the more versatile Mbemba? No.

I think I already answered that above on my assessment of Mbemba

YEDLIN

He has played a lot - does that make him a successful signing? Is that the yardstick? Offensively our only option because of Benitez' tactics. Defensively, not perfect. A moderate success.

I never said anything about how many games he played I'd imagine if Rafa had the money he would replace him, and yes he fits Rafa's tactics it works (at times) that's why he bought him

MURPHY

He did well for us and should have been given a shot in the Premier League instead of wasting money on Joselu. If he was that much of a success, why did the club and Benitez not keep him?

Because Murphy was honest enough to know he was only brought in to be backup and would have been that in the PL, he had a chance to go play first team football in what would be the last few years of his career which he took going to Forest

HANLEY

How you can defend this signing is beyond me. He was never good enough. Waste of money. Poorer than Lascelles and Mbemba by a country mile.

Hanley had a very good season the year before for Blackburn was key for them in championship, they struggled massively that season without him, he was also captain there, something we lacked in the dressing room, I never said he was a success either btw

Lazaar and Jesus

Sure. Barely used.

Yes Barely used, dummett was brilliant in the championship and grew as a player we needed cover that what both provided

SELS
Sels was signed when we had Darlow, Elliot and Krul. A necessary signing? No. Regardless of his performances, a goalkeeper was one of the few positions we didn't need to sign anyone, yet Benitez went out and bought a goalkeeper anyway, who HE quickly disposed of. NOT THE FANS.

I'll agree to a sense that signing him was odd having 3 keepers on the books but Krul and Elliot both had long term injuries, Darlow had was backup at that stage to Elliot, Rafa wanted a keeper who was good with his feet something Sels actually is better with the both of the above

Manquillo

He was s**** for Sunderland. What made Benitez think he'd cut it at us? Not good enough.

Again I don't state that I think he was a success Rafa needed cover and he was the best he could get, PL experience and young, I stand by my get judged harshly comments too as he does cover on both sides when needed

No.

Who could he have signed ?

-----
What's your opinions of Murphy, Muto, Hayden, Joselu and Atsu... you've seemed to miss them ones off.
Murphy - is young Rtichie is a better player and has kept him out of the team, I'd imagine Murphy would be the first person to say he should be playing better

Muto- Again injuries and Rondon playing well have hampered him from the short glimpses i've seen he has impressed me, he has only been at the club 6 months

Joselu- Bought on a budget and yes he could have been better at times still scored 4 goals last term for us. which were key to staying up, again if we could afford better we would have gotten better

Atsu I think Atsu has raw talent he just doesn't deliver he done well for us in championship, a 6m fee was agreed not a bad price for a international player, If we again could afford better I'd imagine we would have gotten better

Sorry missed
Hayden- Thought he has done a decent job with the limited chances he's been given is young only 23, He will move on due family reasons which I can never fault anyone for.
Last edited by lassassinblanc on Thu Jan 03, 2019 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'll Hazard a guess

Bruuuuuuuuce ()
Tribal Elder
Tribal Elder

Post by Bruuuuuuuuce () » Thu Jan 03, 2019 2:02 pm

Get the feeling Rafa could have signed Dario Silva and somehow he'd be defended by some.