Match day thread: Chelsea v Newcastle (Sat, 5.30pm)

Heisen
Stallsenberg
Stallsenberg

Re: Match day thread: Chelsea v Newcastle (Sat, 5.30pm)

Post by Heisen » Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:39 pm

Can we just forfeit it and give them a 3-0 win?

vrabbit
Wilson's Loose Tooth

Post by vrabbit » Sat Jan 12, 2019 1:16 am

Colly wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:22 pm
vrabbit wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:15 pm
I'm totally ok with sitting back tomorrow and trying to score something on a counter or set piece. Regardless of how we've performed up to now it's freaking away at Chelsea. Even a one-goal loss will suffice. I just hope the performance isn't ghostly and we look like we have a plan, even if we're outdone by a more talented squad.
The precious goal difference.

<neg>
currently what has us in 15th place instead of 17th

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Remember Colo
Ancient Forum Relic
Ancient Forum Relic

Post by Remember Colo » Sat Jan 12, 2019 5:33 am

vrabbit wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:15 pm
I'm totally ok with sitting back tomorrow and trying to score something on a counter or set piece. Regardless of how we've performed up to now it's freaking away at Chelsea. Even a one-goal loss will suffice. I just hope the performance isn't ghostly and we look like we have a plan, even if we're outdone by a more talented squad.
Oh I don't disagree, that is how we should play against teams like Chelsea. I just wish it wasn't the only way the players knew how to play.

Gregg5
Tindall's Hoody

Post by Gregg5 » Sat Jan 12, 2019 6:56 am

Really not looking good for today. Even worse if the gods are against us and we start the match already in the relegation zone. May the spirit of Bobby be with us.

Toondes
f uck tha police
f uck tha police

Post by Toondes » Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:05 am

We’ll win today. Have a good feeling about this one.
# stolen from nufc.com :)

Colly
Belgium (Lukaku)
Belgium (Lukaku)

Post by Colly » Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:08 am

vrabbit wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 1:16 am
Colly wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:22 pm

The precious goal difference.

<neg>
currently what has us in 15th place instead of 17th

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Also what will have us also set up with 5 at the back against Cardiff and drop two points at least. No one has gone down on goal difference in over a decade, it's dropping points at home against Fulham etc because we don't know how to attack that will send us down.

Don't get me wrong, going gung ho against Chelsea is of course silly, but I refuse to include a loss of any score as "a good result".

Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by Bodacious Benny » Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:06 am

Chelsea do struggle to break teams down a lot of the time, so obviously today they’ll probably get about five.
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

TJR
Mexico (Jiménez)
Mexico (Jiménez)

Post by TJR » Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:35 am

I'll be very happy with a defeat by 2 goals or less. A point would be a phenomenal result but with all the injuries we've got it's unrealistic.

Damage limitation today so we aren't demoralised going into the more important game against Cardiff.

Sir Bobby
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by Sir Bobby » Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:26 pm

TJR wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:35 am
I'll be very happy with a defeat by 2 goals or less. A point would be a phenomenal result but with all the injuries we've got it's unrealistic.
Personally I’d be delighted with a loss of less than 4 goals. I’ll barely be able to contain myself with excitement if we keep the loss down to just 1. It’s not often you get to play a team like Chelsea - teams of Chelsea’s calibre only constitute about 25% of our games - and we should rightly show them the respect they deserve and be thrilled at the thought of a small defeat before we’ve even seen the line-ups

Colly
Belgium (Lukaku)
Belgium (Lukaku)

Post by Colly » Sat Jan 12, 2019 1:07 pm

Sir Bobby wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:26 pm
TJR wrote:
Personally I’d be delighted with a loss of less than 4 goals. I’ll barely be able to contain myself with excitement if we keep the loss down to just 1. It’s not often you get to play a team like Chelsea - teams of Chelsea’s calibre only constitute about 25% of our games - and we should rightly show them the respect they deserve and be thrilled at the thought of a small defeat before we’ve even seen the line-ups
<applause>

Hjl
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by Hjl » Sat Jan 12, 2019 1:52 pm

Sir Bobby wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:26 pm
TJR wrote:
<grim>

Donkey Toon
Croatia (Modric)
Croatia (Modric)

Post by Donkey Toon » Sat Jan 12, 2019 2:06 pm

How far we have fallen since the days when Glenn Roeder managed us through a genuine injury crisis and we went up against champions elect Chelsea with Clarence Acuna and an almost totally unheard of Jamie McClenn as a CM pairing, amongst numerous other forced changes, and gained a well earned draw.

The defeatist attitude being spread by Benitez is my biggest criticism of him. Too many fans are allowing his negativism to affect them, and unfortunately I think it is also affecting the players as well. I cannot wait for Rafa to leave.

UlversToon
Argentina (Messi)
Argentina (Messi)

Post by UlversToon » Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:05 pm

For the first time this season I just want my team to entertain me rather than the usual 90 minutes of utter dross.

Colly
Belgium (Lukaku)
Belgium (Lukaku)

Post by Colly » Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:24 pm

Donkey Toon wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 2:06 pm
How far we have fallen since the days when Glenn Roeder managed us through a genuine injury crisis and we went up against champions elect Chelsea with Clarence Acuna and an almost totally unheard of Jamie McClenn as a CM pairing, amongst numerous other forced changes, and gained a well earned draw.

The defeatist attitude being spread by Benitez is my biggest criticism of him. Too many fans are allowing his negativism to affect them, and unfortunately I think it is also affecting the players as well. I cannot wait for Rafa to leave.
And its not as if anyone is being stupidly positive, it's just that we've somehow gone from "if you offered me a point before the game I'd bite your hand off" to "I'd be happy with a narrow loss" which is utterly absurd. This time next year it'll be "okay we lost 8-0, but at least no one got booked".

Hjl
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by Hjl » Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:53 pm

Colly wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:24 pm
Donkey Toon wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 2:06 pm

And its not as if anyone is being stupidly positive, it's just that we've somehow gone from "if you offered me a point before the game I'd bite your hand off" to "I'd be happy with a narrow loss" which is utterly absurd. This time next year it'll be "okay we lost 8-0, but at least no one got booked".
Stop being so depressing guys. If we get battered by Chelsea at least we won't have to sit through a 0-0 snore fest.

overseasTOON
Uruguay (Nunez)
Uruguay (Nunez)

Post by overseasTOON » Sat Jan 12, 2019 4:00 pm

I've been drinking since 12 so I'll feel the need for a nap by 5 and miss the match.

krully
Germany (Müller)
Germany (Müller)

Post by krully » Sat Jan 12, 2019 4:02 pm

Hjl wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:53 pm
Colly wrote:

Stop being so depressing guys. If we get battered by Chelsea at least we won't have to sit through a 0-0 snore fest.
<laugh> <wah>

Colly
Belgium (Lukaku)
Belgium (Lukaku)

Post by Colly » Sat Jan 12, 2019 4:03 pm

Hjl wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:53 pm
Colly wrote:

Hey, I'm the one who wants a good game!

Donkey Toon
Croatia (Modric)
Croatia (Modric)

Post by Donkey Toon » Sat Jan 12, 2019 4:21 pm

I just want us to play some football with attacking intent, rather than just play defence vs attack.

I can accept us losing 2 or 3 nil if we have tried to play some football, rather than stifle the s*** out of the game aiming to keep the negative goal difference to a minimum and still end up losing by 2 or 3 to nil, which is how I fully expect this game to play out.

We have lost every game this season against decent opposition when using the ultra-defensive tactics. In effect we are making defeat a fait accompli and being bored shitless in the process.

thedeludedfannymagnet2
Wilson's Loose Tooth

Post by thedeludedfannymagnet2 » Sat Jan 12, 2019 5:11 pm

Line up and link!

http://www.hesgoal.com/news/39612/Chels ... -_ENG.html

Newcastle
12Dubravka
22Yedlin
20Lejeune
6Lascelles
2Clark
11Ritchie
17Pérez
36Longstaff