Ashley “close to conceding defeat” re: selling the club

Speedo
Not at 66-1, f*** that.
Not at 66-1, f*** that.

Ashley “close to conceding defeat” re: selling the club

Post by Speedo » Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:47 am

Well that was fun while the hope lasted <neg>

I suppose it’s naive to think that, now he’s likely staying as owner, he might allow the club to spend some money...

Side note: if we are spending money on paying down our debt to him - perhaps it will reduce the asking price in future... that is the only silver lining I can find right now.
I had the first custom w***

thedeludedfannymagnet2
Wilson's Loose Tooth

Re: Ashley “close to conceding defeat” re: selling the club

Post by thedeludedfannymagnet2 » Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:56 am

Speedo wrote:
Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:47 am

I suppose it’s naive to think that, now he’s likely staying as owner, he might allow the club to spend some money...

Side note: if we are spending money on paying down our debt to him - perhaps it will reduce the asking price in future... that is the only silver lining I can find right now.
At least you found one .... <ok>

Somebodys pinched my sombrero
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by Somebodys pinched my sombrero » Sat Jan 19, 2019 1:23 pm

We're stuck with the fat bastard for the foreseeable I'm afraid. "He's conceded defeat?" The horrible t*** had no intention of selling it. Same every year, the block has admitted in court he lied to the club and the fans, and yet STILL, people fall for his crap. Relegation will not affect him, he hasn't sold in the two times we've gone down with him at the helm. If there is a "mass boycott", crowds may fall to 30k, it won't bother him, most money comes from tv revenue.

He's like a dreadful illness at the club we can't get rid of.

Dennis Wise back in his favour? It's like he tries to think up ways to piss us off even further. The absolute cronut.
Supporting the Toon since 1972.

overseasTOON
Uruguay (Nunez)
Uruguay (Nunez)

Post by overseasTOON » Sat Jan 19, 2019 1:32 pm

I think we may well now get one signing this window so Mike can say he did his part.

bodacious benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by bodacious benny » Sat Jan 19, 2019 1:47 pm

Let’s wait for the next rumours of a takeover to be announced in summer.
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

jpg
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Post by jpg » Sat Jan 19, 2019 2:42 pm

Speedo wrote:
Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:47 am

Clearly wants value of club + debt 'owed' to him paid. I genuinely believe there's no better time to sell than now. Sadly the value of the club is only going to decrease even more as I can't see how we can continue to stay up with the way the club is being run.

This is the least optimistic I've felt about the club's future for a long time.

Colback's Orange Tufts
USA USA USA (Pulisic)
USA USA USA (Pulisic)

Post by Colback's Orange Tufts » Sun Jan 20, 2019 9:55 pm

I do think he does want to sell... But only at his large valuation (+paying off debt) which no one wants to meet.
Sharing articles no-one reads since 2012

bodacious benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by bodacious benny » Sun Jan 20, 2019 10:05 pm

shame he doesn’t enjoy saving failing football clubs as much as he enjoys saving fallen high street giants.
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

Double Agent Bruce a.k.a DAB
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Post by Double Agent Bruce a.k.a DAB » Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:45 am

The clubs are part of any comunity. Therefore there's huge significance how they are managed. That's why I thinkig that their expenses at least must be the most transparent as they can. I'm not talking about the player sales and wages and stuff because they are confidential. But at least to have some accountability with official reports. Because for example now there's a susspicious that ashley use club's money for HoF and HMV which is insane. I don't know if this is possible but would be nice. Or just to reveal all the contracts (not with players and staff) and but without show the exact sums since there must be some confidentiality.

Or at least the FA to regulate more their accounts. Just like Arsenal's fans think that Kroenke take money out of the club because the high ticket prices, the huge commertial and TV revenue and the lack of huge sum for transfers.

Something must be change.

bodacious benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by bodacious benny » Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:51 am

R&B wrote:
Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:45 am
The clubs are part of any comunity. Therefore there's huge significance how they are managed. That's why I thinkig that their expenses at least must be the most transparent as they can. I'm not talking about the player sales and wages and stuff because they are confidential. But at least to have some accountability with official reports. Because for example now there's a susspicious that ashley use club's money for HoF and HMV which is insane. I don't know if this is possible but would be nice. Or just to reveal all the contracts (not with players and staff) and but without show the exact sums since there must be some confidentiality.

Or at least the FA to regulate more their accounts. Just like Arsenal's fans think that Kroenke take money out of the club because the high ticket prices, the huge commertial and TV revenue and the lack of huge sum for transfers.

I think it's something that would be 'nice to have' rather than something clubs should have to do. Yes, they're important parts of the community but they are private businesses at the end of the day so normal business rules apply.

Colback's Orange Tufts
USA USA USA (Pulisic)
USA USA USA (Pulisic)

Post by Colback's Orange Tufts » Mon Jan 21, 2019 1:16 pm

R&B wrote:

I mean if the club purchases any of the assets of HMV it would be in the public domain via the administration process. And belatedly we'd see it in NUFC accounts (have to disclose shareholdings in other companies). As it happens I don't think we are well enough run to make Mr Ashley significant sums.

But if he wants to pay money out of NUFC through dividends or debt repayments he can. I don't want him to, but NUFC is a business he owns, he has the right to pay himself as long as there is a profit reserve*. Even if an owner is taking huge sums of money out of a club (the Glazers); that's their rights, its a business not a Co-Op. Can the FA require clubs to spend a set amount on players or not enrich their owners?

(* or for debt whenever he wants)

Donkey Toon
Croatia (Modric)
Croatia (Modric)

Post by Donkey Toon » Mon Jan 21, 2019 1:29 pm

Colback's Orange Tufts wrote:
Mon Jan 21, 2019 1:16 pm
R&B wrote:

I mean if the club purchases any of the assets of HMV it would be in the public domain via the administration process. And belatedly we'd see it in NUFC accounts (have to disclose shareholdings in other companies). As it happens I don't think we are well enough run to make Mr Ashley significant sums.

But if he wants to pay money out of NUFC through dividends or debt repayments he can. I don't want him to, but NUFC is a business he owns, he has the right to pay himself as long as there is a profit reserve*. Even if an owner is taking huge sums of money out of a club (the Glazers); that's their rights, its a business not a Co-Op. Can the FA require clubs to spend a set amount on players or not enrich their owners?

Exactly. Ashley has pumped shed loads of cash into the club in the form of interest free, repayable on demand loans and he is entitled to repayment whenever he wants, no questions asked. He isn't taking the clubs money, he is demanding partial repayment of what the club owes him.

Captain Obvious
Drunk Control
Drunk Control

Post by Captain Obvious » Mon Jan 21, 2019 1:34 pm

But how can we still owe money to him when net spend is so low? Where is the TV money etc etc.

And what does the club make in money for all the Sports Direct advertising that could otherwise be sold for money?

Ol' Dirty Bas Dost
Tribal Elder
Tribal Elder

Post by Ol' Dirty Bas Dost » Mon Jan 21, 2019 1:38 pm

He's an owner in the mould of Hicks and Gillett. The main difference is that there's only one of him so there aren't quite the same conflagrations in the boardroom. But I'm beginning to believe that the next time this club gets sold it will be as part of a court order.

Donkey Toon
Croatia (Modric)
Croatia (Modric)

Post by Donkey Toon » Mon Jan 21, 2019 1:56 pm

Captain Obvious wrote:
Mon Jan 21, 2019 1:34 pm
But how can we still owe money to him when net spend is so low? Where is the TV money etc etc.

And what does the club make in money for all the Sports Direct advertising that could otherwise be sold for money?
The TV money is a fraction of the sum owed to Ashley and the net spend is irrelevant to the realities of compant cash flow. The net spend just compares agreed purchase prices of players vs agreed sale prices, within a specified period of time. It doesn't take into account that NUFC generally pays 100% cash up front when buying whilst accepting deferred or stage payments for sales. I believe we are still owed several payments for Sissoko.

The club makes nothing from the SD advertising. MA has obviously decided that he will take that in lieu of interest on his loans and personally I am ok with that.

bodacious benny
Whiskey Business
Whiskey Business

Post by bodacious benny » Mon Jan 21, 2019 2:02 pm

Donkey Toon wrote:
Mon Jan 21, 2019 1:56 pm
Captain Obvious wrote:

I believe we are still owed several payments for Sissoko.
Although didn't Spurs fans claim that if they sold him they didn't have to keep making payments to us <laugh>

Colback's Orange Tufts
USA USA USA (Pulisic)
USA USA USA (Pulisic)

Post by Colback's Orange Tufts » Mon Jan 21, 2019 2:06 pm

Donkey Toon wrote:
Mon Jan 21, 2019 1:29 pm
Mon Jan 21, 2019 1:16 pm

Exactly. Ashley has pumped shed loads of cash into the club in the form of interest free, repayable on demand loans and he is entitled to repayment whenever he wants, no questions asked. He isn't taking the clubs money, he is demanding partial repayment of what the club owes him.
Of course prospective buyers will argue he has destroyed value at the club and so shouldn't get back what he put in... And there comes the impasse

Donkey Toon
Croatia (Modric)
Croatia (Modric)

Post by Donkey Toon » Mon Jan 21, 2019 2:37 pm

Mon Jan 21, 2019 2:06 pm
Donkey Toon wrote:
Mon Jan 21, 2019 1:29 pm

Of course prospective buyers will argue he has destroyed value at the club and so shouldn't get back what he put in... And there comes the impasse
Which is a **** argument made by somebody trying to haggle down a price. The legal reality is that one legal entity owes another legal entity a sum of money in line with a legally binding loan agreement. What buyers may think is utterly irrelevant.

Remember Colo
Ancient Forum Relic
Ancient Forum Relic

Post by Remember Colo » Mon Jan 21, 2019 3:21 pm

Donkey Toon wrote:
Mon Jan 21, 2019 2:37 pm
Mon Jan 21, 2019 2:06 pm

Which is a **** argument made by somebody trying to haggle down a price. The legal reality is that one legal entity owes another legal entity a sum of money in line with a legally binding loan agreement. What buyers may think is utterly irrelevant.
I love when DT drops the accountant hammer on the forum <awe>

Captain Obvious
Drunk Control
Drunk Control

Post by Captain Obvious » Mon Jan 21, 2019 3:43 pm

Donkey Toon wrote:
Mon Jan 21, 2019 1:56 pm
Captain Obvious wrote:

The TV money is a fraction of the sum owed to Ashley and the net spend is irrelevant to the realities of compant cash flow. The net spend just compares agreed purchase prices of players vs agreed sale prices, within a specified period of time. It doesn't take into account that NUFC generally pays 100% cash up front when buying whilst accepting deferred or stage payments for sales. I believe we are still owed several payments for Sissoko.

The club makes nothing from the SD advertising. MA has obviously decided that he will take that in lieu of interest on his loans and personally I am ok with that.
£123million last season https://talksport.com/football/376346/h ... 518283150/

Plus all the other income, sponsorship, matchday revenue. Parachute payements when we went down, huge transfer sales. I can't read the numbers and you can, I accept, but there must be money somewhere. If FFP is levelling the playing field and the likes of Brighton and Cardiff are chucking huge fees around, why can't we. Where's our money?