Match thread.FA cup NUFC v Watford

Colly
Forum Legend
Forum Legend
Posts: 5668
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2012 6:44 pm
Location: Billingham

Re: Match thread.FA cup NUFC v Watford

Post by Colly » Sun Jan 27, 2019 11:08 pm

Yup. I like Twitter, but never read the comments below a post. Twitter football fans are utter fuckwits.

Colly
Forum Legend
Forum Legend
Posts: 5668
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2012 6:44 pm
Location: Billingham

Re: Match thread.FA cup NUFC v Watford

Post by Colly » Sun Jan 27, 2019 11:12 pm



Case in f***ing point. Needless to say you won't see me holding up a piece of paper advertising Dave Whelan's shop on Tuesday night.

User avatar
Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Club Member
Whiskey Club Member
Posts: 27327
Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2012 11:18 am

Re: Match thread.FA cup NUFC v Watford

Post by Bodacious Benny » Sun Jan 27, 2019 11:13 pm

Mass leafleting campaign, Arnold Rimmer must be in charge.
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

Colly
Forum Legend
Forum Legend
Posts: 5668
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2012 6:44 pm
Location: Billingham

Re: Match thread.FA cup NUFC v Watford

Post by Colly » Sun Jan 27, 2019 11:18 pm

Give quiche a chance.

User avatar
Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Club Member
Whiskey Club Member
Posts: 27327
Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2012 11:18 am

Re: Match thread.FA cup NUFC v Watford

Post by Bodacious Benny » Sun Jan 27, 2019 11:24 pm

Colly wrote:
Sun Jan 27, 2019 11:18 pm
Give quiche a chance.
<laugh>
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

User avatar
overseasTOON
Much Ado About Blogging
Much Ado About Blogging
Posts: 19675
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:53 am
Location: Location: Location

Re: Match thread.FA cup NUFC v Watford

Post by overseasTOON » Mon Jan 28, 2019 7:39 am

Couldn't this DW Sports 'protest' be construed as ambush marketing and if so; the club is well within their rights to remove them.

Colly
Forum Legend
Forum Legend
Posts: 5668
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2012 6:44 pm
Location: Billingham

Re: Match thread.FA cup NUFC v Watford

Post by Colly » Mon Jan 28, 2019 7:51 am

overseasTOON wrote:
Mon Jan 28, 2019 7:39 am
Couldn't this DW Sports 'protest' be construed as ambush marketing and if so; the club is well within their rights to remove them.
I doubt they'll even care. The game before the 11th minute walkin was when they handed out the last lot of flyers and I saw three being held up. They might get a few more this time but anyone over the age of 25 will remember that Dave Whelan is a horrible man.

That said someone has replied to me on twitter to say that his leg wasn't actually broken so it's okay...

UlversToon
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster
Posts: 4126
Joined: Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:52 pm
Location: Cumbria

Re: Match thread.FA cup NUFC v Watford

Post by UlversToon » Mon Jan 28, 2019 7:26 pm

Portsmouth/QPR v Watford

There for the taking!

User avatar
Remember Colo
Forum Legend
Forum Legend
Posts: 9597
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2012 12:57 am
Location: Toronto

Re: Match thread.FA cup NUFC v Watford

Post by Remember Colo » Mon Jan 28, 2019 7:45 pm

I've gotten annoyed by how the press have talked about our terrible streak of cup performances. it's obviously shameful we haven't gotten past the 4th round of the FA Cup, and it's highlighted the lack of depth and investment in the squad during Ashley's tenure. But losing to the clubs we have in that time, the way we have, I think speaks more to the managers and players in that time. It's not as if Ashley is calling up demanding for the side to lose, considering he seems to go months without communicating with managers, and doesn't seem particularly concerned about league survival either.

User avatar
Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Club Member
Whiskey Club Member
Posts: 27327
Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2012 11:18 am

Re: Match thread.FA cup NUFC v Watford

Post by Bodacious Benny » Mon Jan 28, 2019 7:53 pm

Remember Colo wrote:
Mon Jan 28, 2019 7:45 pm
I've gotten annoyed by how the press have talked about our terrible streak of cup performances. it's obviously shameful we haven't gotten past the 4th round of the FA Cup, and it's highlighted the lack of depth and investment in the squad during Ashley's tenure. But losing to the clubs we have in that time, the way we have, I think speaks more to the managers and players in that time. It's not as if Ashley is calling up demanding for the side to lose, considering he seems to go months without communicating with managers, and doesn't seem particularly concerned about league survival either.
True but it all boils back to a lack of depth which is Ashley’s fault. Most of those seasons we’ve either been fighting relegation or chasing promotion and a complete lack of squad depth means managers prioritise the league and bring in players for the cup who really aren’t good enough. While it’s true that some of our exits have been embarrassing (Stevenage, Oxford etc) and players should take a lot of the blame too, but had we built a squad with more strength in depth then we’d have had more chance or opportunity to progress.

It’s even more annoying as after the next round it’s all very average teams left in the competition other than man C and either Chelsea / Man U. Definitely should have had a run at a SF or even a final depending on the draw.
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

User avatar
Heisen
Stallsenberg
Stallsenberg
Posts: 9301
Joined: Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:21 am

Re: Match thread.FA cup NUFC v Watford

Post by Heisen » Mon Jan 28, 2019 8:42 pm

Our losses in the last 10 seasons with the finishing positions of those seasons:

2008/09 Hull City (h) lost replay 0-1 R3 (drew first game 0-0)
Finishing position: 18th in PL, relegated
2009/10 West Brom (a) 2-4 R4
FP: 1st in Championship, promoted
2010/11 Stevenage (a) 1-3 R3
FP: 12th in PL
2011/12 Brighton (a) 0-2 R4
FP: 5th in PL
2012/13 Brighton (a) 0-1 R3
FP: 16th in PL
2013/14 Cardiff City (h) lost 1-2 R3
FP: 10th in PL
2014/15 Leicester City (a) lost 0-1 R3
FP: 15th in PL
2015/16 Watford (a) lost 0-1 R3
FP: 18th in PL, relegated
2016/17 Oxford United (a) lost 0-3 R4
FP: 1st in Championship, promoted
2017/18 Chelsea (a) lost 0-3 R4
FP: 10th in PL
2018/19 Watford (h) lost 0-2 R4
FP: ???

So, of the last ten years, there has only really been four seasons, of what I can recall, where we weren't battling relegation and/or challenging promotion at this point in the season. Those being the 2010/11, 2011/12, 2013/14, and 2014/15 campaigns.

Those losses were to Stevenage, Brighton, Cardiff and Leicester. Stevenage was just a good old fashioned giant killing (I remember Pardew played a strong team that day, we were just awful), and Brighton turned over a strong team the first year. The other two though I remember both Pardew and Carver got absolutely hammered for playing weakened teams when we had nothing to play for in the league, so much so that Carver almost got in a scrap with a fan after the Leicester game. We lost to Chelsea because they were Chelsea.

So to say the managers never get criticised for it isn't true, they did and vociferously. And to Benny's point, the other seasons we simply haven't been in the position to have a go in the cups as we had other priorities at that point in the season. And the buck stops with Ashley there.
Image

User avatar
jpg
Forum Legend
Forum Legend
Posts: 9000
Joined: Mon Feb 20, 2012 2:38 pm
Location: :noitacoL

Re: Match thread.FA cup NUFC v Watford

Post by jpg » Tue Jan 29, 2019 8:25 am

Colly wrote:
Sun Jan 27, 2019 11:18 pm
Give quiche a chance.

"Ashley Out"
"Chameleonic Life Forms, No Thanks"

User avatar
Remember Colo
Forum Legend
Forum Legend
Posts: 9597
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2012 12:57 am
Location: Toronto

Re: Match thread.FA cup NUFC v Watford

Post by Remember Colo » Tue Jan 29, 2019 4:04 pm

Heisen wrote:
Mon Jan 28, 2019 8:42 pm
Our losses in the last 10 seasons with the finishing positions of those seasons:

2008/09 Hull City (h) lost replay 0-1 R3 (drew first game 0-0)
Finishing position: 18th in PL, relegated
2009/10 West Brom (a) 2-4 R4
FP: 1st in Championship, promoted
2010/11 Stevenage (a) 1-3 R3
FP: 12th in PL
2011/12 Brighton (a) 0-2 R4
FP: 5th in PL
2012/13 Brighton (a) 0-1 R3
FP: 16th in PL
2013/14 Cardiff City (h) lost 1-2 R3
FP: 10th in PL
2014/15 Leicester City (a) lost 0-1 R3
FP: 15th in PL
2015/16 Watford (a) lost 0-1 R3
FP: 18th in PL, relegated
2016/17 Oxford United (a) lost 0-3 R4
FP: 1st in Championship, promoted
2017/18 Chelsea (a) lost 0-3 R4
FP: 10th in PL
2018/19 Watford (h) lost 0-2 R4
FP: ???

So, of the last ten years, there has only really been four seasons, of what I can recall, where we weren't battling relegation and/or challenging promotion at this point in the season. Those being the 2010/11, 2011/12, 2013/14, and 2014/15 campaigns.

Those losses were to Stevenage, Brighton, Cardiff and Leicester. Stevenage was just a good old fashioned giant killing (I remember Pardew played a strong team that day, we were just awful), and Brighton turned over a strong team the first year. The other two though I remember both Pardew and Carver got absolutely hammered for playing weakened teams when we had nothing to play for in the league, so much so that Carver almost got in a scrap with a fan after the Leicester game. We lost to Chelsea because they were Chelsea.

So to say the managers never get criticised for it isn't true, they did and vociferously. And to Benny's point, the other seasons we simply haven't been in the position to have a go in the cups as we had other priorities at that point in the season. And the buck stops with Ashley there.
I didn't mean that managers weren't criticized at the time, I just meant how the story's been covered over the past week or so. It's often just focused on Ashley regarding the cups, when I think it's been failure from top to bottom. I'd add, just because we battle relegation, doesn't mean getting bounced from the cup contributed to survival.

User avatar
Don Sholeone
BSN Correspondant
BSN Correspondant
Posts: 9271
Joined: Tue Feb 07, 2012 2:41 pm

Re: Match thread.FA cup NUFC v Watford

Post by Don Sholeone » Tue Jan 29, 2019 4:19 pm

Wasnt it Ashley/the club that came out and admitted they wanted to focus on the PL rather than the cups, so i think its quite reasonable to blame those at the top for our performances over the years, a manager going all out for a cup would go against the clubs policy, so i think its fair to cut the manager a bit of slack
TINO'S ON FIRE BARCELONA'S TERRIFIED
Image

User avatar
Remember Colo
Forum Legend
Forum Legend
Posts: 9597
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2012 12:57 am
Location: Toronto

Re: Match thread.FA cup NUFC v Watford

Post by Remember Colo » Tue Jan 29, 2019 4:41 pm

Don Sholeone wrote:
Tue Jan 29, 2019 4:19 pm
Wasnt it Ashley/the club that came out and admitted they wanted to focus on the PL rather than the cups, so i think its quite reasonable to blame those at the top for our performances over the years, a manager going all out for a cup would go against the clubs policy, so i think its fair to cut the manager a bit of slack
It's changed at different points. He's also said that he wanted to win a cup before his time was done as owner. It's really never felt like football performance one way or the other was particularly important to him. I also don't know what "going all out for a cup" would entail when still getting turned over by sides making 11 changes themselves. Again, not trying to excuse Ashley, I just think it's been such an embarrassing stretch of poor performance from the club in cups, regardless of whether the manager has selected reserve sides, or near full strength sides.

Post Reply