January 2019 signing #1 Antonio Barreca

UlversToon
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster
Posts: 4126
Joined: Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:52 pm
Location: Cumbria

Re: January 2019 signing #1 Antonio Barreca

Post by UlversToon » Thu Jan 31, 2019 9:12 pm

overseasTOON wrote:
Thu Jan 31, 2019 9:09 pm
I'm just posting to get this to two pages.
Has it worked yet?











<whistle>

User avatar
overseasTOON
Much Ado About Blogging
Much Ado About Blogging
Posts: 19673
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:53 am
Location: Location: Location

Re: January 2019 signing #1 Antonio Barreca

Post by overseasTOON » Thu Jan 31, 2019 9:12 pm

He'll be s*** though...

User avatar
ALF
Sleep is for Pussies
Sleep is for Pussies
Posts: 20493
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2012 6:46 pm
Location: Down Sowf

Re: January 2019 signing #1 Antonio Barreca

Post by ALF » Thu Jan 31, 2019 11:00 pm

Never heard of the lad, wonder what the plan is for Dummett?

User avatar
overseasTOON
Much Ado About Blogging
Much Ado About Blogging
Posts: 19673
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:53 am
Location: Location: Location

Re: January 2019 signing #1 Antonio Barreca

Post by overseasTOON » Thu Jan 31, 2019 11:02 pm

ALF wrote:
Thu Jan 31, 2019 11:00 pm
Never heard of the lad, wonder what the plan is for Dummett?
Sell next window.

User avatar
Aldridge Prior
Dogemanding Traitor
Dogemanding Traitor
Posts: 6644
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2012 7:40 pm
Location: Washington, Tyne & Wear

Re: January 2019 signing #1 Antonio Barreca

Post by Aldridge Prior » Thu Jan 31, 2019 11:37 pm

Let's Barreca mic
Let's Barreca mic
Let's Barreca mic...

PSYCHE!

<coat>

User avatar
Toondes
f uck tha police
f uck tha police
Posts: 7748
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2012 12:23 pm
Location: Newcastle, High Heaton

Re: January 2019 signing #1 Antonio Barreca

Post by Toondes » Fri Feb 01, 2019 5:57 am

ALF wrote:
Thu Jan 31, 2019 11:00 pm
Never heard of the lad, wonder what the plan is for Dummett?
Replace him with a lost sheep
# stolen from nufc.com :)

User avatar
Don Sholeone
BSN Correspondant
BSN Correspondant
Posts: 9270
Joined: Tue Feb 07, 2012 2:41 pm

Re: January 2019 signing #1 Antonio Barreca

Post by Don Sholeone » Fri Feb 01, 2019 7:38 am

Don't understand all the s*** dummett gets, we always look a better side when he's playing
TINO'S ON FIRE BARCELONA'S TERRIFIED
Image

Colly
Forum Legend
Forum Legend
Posts: 5667
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2012 6:44 pm
Location: Billingham

Re: January 2019 signing #1 Antonio Barreca

Post by Colly » Fri Feb 01, 2019 7:39 am

I assumed people were joking? Our back 4 (as was) was pretty solid every time he plays, last two years he's been excellent.

User avatar
Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Club Member
Whiskey Club Member
Posts: 27321
Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2012 11:18 am

Re: January 2019 signing #1 Antonio Barreca

Post by Bodacious Benny » Fri Feb 01, 2019 7:41 am

I think it’s a vocal minority that dislike him tbf, most realise he does a solid job.
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

User avatar
Sir Bobby
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster
Posts: 3300
Joined: Sun Feb 05, 2012 8:23 pm
Location: Sheffield

Re: January 2019 signing #1 Antonio Barreca

Post by Sir Bobby » Fri Feb 01, 2019 7:46 am

He used to be s***. Now he is not. I think most people like him as back-up but hope that we could have someone less limited as first choice

Colly
Forum Legend
Forum Legend
Posts: 5667
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2012 6:44 pm
Location: Billingham

Re: January 2019 signing #1 Antonio Barreca

Post by Colly » Fri Feb 01, 2019 10:53 am

I don't think he was ever s***, but obviously he's improved with age. He can defend and that's the main thing, but I also think his crossing is pretty underrated. There's also the fact that even if he could maraud forward and skin players he'd probably be coached not to anyway, so we're not missing out on much.

User avatar
Donkey Toon
Resident Financial Expert
Resident Financial Expert
Posts: 6515
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2012 7:46 pm

Re: January 2019 signing #1 Antonio Barreca

Post by Donkey Toon » Fri Feb 01, 2019 11:09 am

Dummett has always been a decent defender, but not so good on the ball. But i'm firmly of the opinion that a full back played as part of a back four should be picked on the basis of defensive ability and until proven otherwise he is the best full-back we've got.

On SSN last night Carvahal (spelling?) said that Barreca was really fast, good going forward and a great crosser but still had a lot to learn defensively.

Sounds to me like Barreca makes a better LWB than LB. If this is accurate I would hope that Rafa will switch between the two depending on whether we are playing 4 or 5 at the back.

I guess we'll find out soon enough.

User avatar
Speedo
Not at 66-1, f*** that.
Not at 66-1, f*** that.
Posts: 8873
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2012 5:40 pm
Location: London

Re: January 2019 signing #1 Antonio Barreca

Post by Speedo » Fri Feb 01, 2019 3:06 pm

Donkey Toon wrote:
Fri Feb 01, 2019 11:09 am
Dummett has always been a decent defender, but not so good on the ball. But i'm firmly of the opinion that a full back played as part of a back four should be picked on the basis of defensive ability and until proven otherwise he is the best full-back we've got.

On SSN last night Carvahal (spelling?) said that Barreca was really fast, good going forward and a great crosser but still had a lot to learn defensively.

Sounds to me like Barreca makes a better LWB than LB. If this is accurate I would hope that Rafa will switch between the two depending on whether we are playing 4 or 5 at the back.

I guess we'll find out soon enough.
Let's not forget everyone said Yedlin was defensively s**** when we signed him, and Rafa has turned him into a pretty complete full back IMO. If anyone can teach defending it's Rafa.
I had the first custom w***

Colly
Forum Legend
Forum Legend
Posts: 5667
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2012 6:44 pm
Location: Billingham

Re: January 2019 signing #1 Antonio Barreca

Post by Colly » Fri Feb 01, 2019 3:14 pm

Speedo wrote:
Fri Feb 01, 2019 3:06 pm
Donkey Toon wrote:
Fri Feb 01, 2019 11:09 am
Dummett has always been a decent defender, but not so good on the ball. But i'm firmly of the opinion that a full back played as part of a back four should be picked on the basis of defensive ability and until proven otherwise he is the best full-back we've got.

On SSN last night Carvahal (spelling?) said that Barreca was really fast, good going forward and a great crosser but still had a lot to learn defensively.

Sounds to me like Barreca makes a better LWB than LB. If this is accurate I would hope that Rafa will switch between the two depending on whether we are playing 4 or 5 at the back.

I guess we'll find out soon enough.
Let's not forget everyone said Yedlin was defensively s**** when we signed him, and Rafa has turned him into a pretty complete full back IMO. If anyone can teach defending it's Rafa.
Let's not get ahead of ourselves. Before we switched to the back 3 most attacks were coming down his side due to sides targeting his poor positioning, his pace usually makes up for it but not always. I think he's pretty good as a wing back, but if we go back to a back 4 I'm hoping you're right about this improvement because I certainly haven't seen it.

User avatar
Bodacious Benny
Whiskey Club Member
Whiskey Club Member
Posts: 27321
Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2012 11:18 am

Re: January 2019 signing #1 Antonio Barreca

Post by Bodacious Benny » Fri Feb 01, 2019 3:28 pm

Re Yedlin: I was at the Chelsea game and he was definitely the weak link defensively, though I can’t remember if we played with 3 CBs with him as a wingback that game or if he was a RB.

I actually prefer us with 3 CBs.
I'm the scumbag outlaw. You're the pillar of justice. Neither of us like looking at ourselves in the mirror. Do we have a deal?

User avatar
Remember Colo
Forum Legend
Forum Legend
Posts: 9595
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2012 12:57 am
Location: Toronto

Re: January 2019 signing #1 Antonio Barreca

Post by Remember Colo » Fri Feb 01, 2019 3:32 pm

Speedo wrote:
Fri Feb 01, 2019 3:06 pm
Donkey Toon wrote:
Fri Feb 01, 2019 11:09 am
Dummett has always been a decent defender, but not so good on the ball. But i'm firmly of the opinion that a full back played as part of a back four should be picked on the basis of defensive ability and until proven otherwise he is the best full-back we've got.

On SSN last night Carvahal (spelling?) said that Barreca was really fast, good going forward and a great crosser but still had a lot to learn defensively.

Sounds to me like Barreca makes a better LWB than LB. If this is accurate I would hope that Rafa will switch between the two depending on whether we are playing 4 or 5 at the back.

I guess we'll find out soon enough.
Let's not forget everyone said Yedlin was defensively s**** when we signed him, and Rafa has turned him into a pretty complete full back IMO. If anyone can teach defending it's Rafa.
I'm with you on this, and think he's become a lot more consistent at the back. And in response to Colly's post, personally, despite me acknowledging that CB is our greatest position of depth, I've found a lot of the goals this season to be from errors in the box - particularly as the CBs were getting accustomed to playing 3/5 at the back. In general from open play we've defended really well, and its set pieces that have really hurt us, so I don't think Yedlin and the right side have been a big vulnerability.

Colly
Forum Legend
Forum Legend
Posts: 5667
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2012 6:44 pm
Location: Billingham

Re: January 2019 signing #1 Antonio Barreca

Post by Colly » Fri Feb 01, 2019 3:41 pm

As I said, with 3 at the back he's not been personally culpable for many goals, my issue with him is defending when he's playing as an actual full back which is what Speedo was talking about.

User avatar
Remember Colo
Forum Legend
Forum Legend
Posts: 9595
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2012 12:57 am
Location: Toronto

Re: January 2019 signing #1 Antonio Barreca

Post by Remember Colo » Fri Feb 01, 2019 3:57 pm

Colly wrote:
Fri Feb 01, 2019 3:41 pm
As I said, with 3 at the back he's not been personally culpable for many goals, my issue with him is defending when he's playing as an actual full back which is what Speedo was talking about.
Maybe I made my point badly then, but I guess I really meant that I thought from open play regardless of formation we've defended pretty well, and the period I thought was worst for our backline was the early days of 3 CBs when they didn't seem to be communicating well and were leaving forwards unmarked between them (since been resolved).

Colly
Forum Legend
Forum Legend
Posts: 5667
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2012 6:44 pm
Location: Billingham

Re: January 2019 signing #1 Antonio Barreca

Post by Colly » Fri Feb 01, 2019 4:28 pm

I don't disagree about the teething troubles with the back 3, it's still there occasionally now. That for me doesn't take away from Yedlin's defensive shortfalls in a back four which has been consistent since he got here.

User avatar
Speedo
Not at 66-1, f*** that.
Not at 66-1, f*** that.
Posts: 8873
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2012 5:40 pm
Location: London

Re: January 2019 signing #1 Antonio Barreca

Post by Speedo » Fri Feb 01, 2019 6:38 pm

I mean Yedlin is often vulnerable in the air, but I don't feel he's awful. I don't think he's a downgrade on say Janmaat or Danny Simpson, for example. And he adds a huge amount to us going forward, whether we're playing a 4 or a 3/5 at the back. For example - his driving run created the situation that lead to the penalty vs. City.
I had the first custom w***

Post Reply